daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 17th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #261
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
You're right about that but I have never seen or heard the Singapore MRT getting bombed. One thing the penalties are severe in SG if you get caught. Most likely those who will attempt to paint the MRT are die-hard writers from other countries instead of local Singaporeans.

But neighbouring Malaysia had some bombed trains
The penalties for creating graffiti in Singapore include caning:

*Images removed by Mod*

The above images have appeared on several different websites. Sometimes they are purported to be in Singapore and other times in Malaysia.

Last edited by Tubeman; December 26th, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #262
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

In 1994, an American teenager living in Singapore was found guilty of vandalizing cars with spray paint. He was sentenced to four months in jail, a $2200 fine, and six strokes of the cane. The full story can be found at the following link:

http://www.corpun.com/awfay9405.htm
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #263
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

Rocky Mountain News

Samaritan graffiti: As art, it can be good
Youths volunteer talent to decorate recreation center
By Fernando Quintero, Rocky Mountain News
May 5, 2007
Alejandro Casillas is quite familiar with the spray-painted letters and other markings that designate the neighborhood gang in the Globeville section of Denver.

The 15-year-old knows that "tagging" is a crime, and an unwanted presence on fences, walls and buildings.

But recently, Casillas and other neighborhood young people were introduced to the idea of graffiti as a cultural art form.

On Friday, as part of its Cinco de Mayo festivities, the Globeville Recreation Center unveiled a giant graffiti mural that Casillas helped design.

"It's about ethnic pride," he said.

"It's looked down upon because it comes from our neighborhoods. But I take it as art from my culture."

Levi Garcia, a 14-year-old Globeville resident and a freshman at West High School, developed an appreciation for the intricate lettering and other designs that his father draws on letters that he writes from his prison cell.

"My dad's an artist. He's a good artist," Garcia said proudly.

"He does lettering and art. He also does tattoos for a lot of the other inmates. I guess he was my inspiration."

Now Garcia, who also helped paint the mural that covers all four walls of the recreation center's gymnasium, wants to hone his artistic skills.

"I want to stick with it and watch my artwork evolve," he said. "It's a pleasure showing other people what I can do.

"Now I look forward to the future, to move more forward in life. We're seen as criminals. But we're artists."

The city approved the mural as part of an anti-graffiti initiative with youths in the community.

In addition to painting the mural, participants pledged to not engage in illegal tagging and spent a day going throughout Globeville removing graffiti.

"The reality is that graffiti art is a type of personal expression that many youth post because they want their art to be seen," said Michael Barney, the city of Denver's director of recreation.

"Projects such as this have far greater value in the effort to reduce illegal graffiti than any enforcement policy."

Julia Martinez-Bezjak, the center's recreation coordinator and Garcia's aunt, said she was surprised and pleased that the mural project got the go-ahead from city parks and recreation officials.

"I was so happy that we got to do this for the kids and for our community," she said of Globeville.

It's a mostly Hispanic neighborhood that, in 2006, had the seventh-highest crime rate in the city and where nearly 84 percent of children receive free school lunches - an indicator of family poverty.

"I think the mural ties in well with Cinco de Mayo because it's about showing cultural pride, even when others try to bring you down," Martinez-Bezjak said.

Some members of the city's graffiti task force voiced concerns that providing a wall for graffiti art only encourages illegal tagging.

But a Denver graffiti artist who goes by the name "Wiser" said he believes just the opposite.

He and his business partner volunteered their time to teach neighborhood children graffiti art techniques and headed up the recreation center mural project.

"These kids are getting old enough to go out and start tagging - we teach them to do it on canvas, on sketch pads, in notebooks," said Wiser, whose design business specializes in graffiti art and personalized apparel.

"We teach them how to do graffiti art like a professional. Soon we hear them saying, 'I'd rather do legal graffiti than tag the streets,' It's a positive thing for them. It's positive for the community.

"Educating people on graffiti as an art form prevents graffiti in vandalism form. And the kids are eager to learn about it."

Nathan Valdez, 15, said that he and his fellow artists were impressed to learn that graffiti is a practice that goes back many centuries.

"We learned about the first graffiti artist - he was a messenger who went from city to city and always left his mark wherever he went," said the East High School sophomore.

The mural, which features the name "Globeville" spray-painted in giant letters, also includes stylized nicknames of the young artists as well as characters representing local youths, and sports memorabilia.

Casillas said he hopes that the graffiti would elicit positive feedback from local residents.

"If people see it as something negative, it will be dead," Casillas said.

"If people give it more respect, it will continue to grow."
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #264
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2617

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
In 1994, an American teenager living in Singapore was found guilty of vandalizing cars with spray paint. He was sentenced to four months in jail, a $2200 fine, and six strokes of the cane. The full story can be found at the following link:

It was reduced to 4 since Clinton, who was US president at that time intervened. But still, even 4 strokes is harsh enough.

But despite that laws, graffiti still exist in Singapore mostly legal walls. The trains would be risky not just the harsh penalties but security in the MRT yards is tight.

Singapore

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:24 AM   #265
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 511

Old July 20th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #266
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

When I was in Italy there were shitloads of graffiti especially in Roma. I saw some in Milano but not much in Catania.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #267
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 103

The trains in Roma a totally overpainted - or atleast they have been for many years. Don't know the situation right now, but when I was there in 2003 there were graffiti on every train.
http://en.sevenload.com/videos/FtD1WwH/M-TV1-Rome

...btw. those Sydney kids weren't the smartest around

my flickr
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #268
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Montreal metro's worst offenders are advertisers underground -- thoughtless habit nowadays of slopping 25-foot-high ads on its tall subteranean walls -- I still haven't figured out how come taggers roaming underground in the metro don't take aim right at their trumpers' output . . .
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:54 PM   #269
♣628.finst
Optimum

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post

We do need such law--- especially against those disruptive teenagers. Graffiti is by no means a good sign of a city, especially on its public transport. Advertising on public transport is perhaps, another real problem as well. As a passenger we should have the right to have a clean public transport without both advertisements and graffiti. If these costs poorer service, we still need these to be done.

By the way, Hong Kong is not safer than Singapore because of our abolishment on caning. These should be done when they are young (i.e. age 12-30)
Old July 23rd, 2007, 06:17 AM   #270
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin View Post
We do need such law--- especially against those disruptive teenagers. Graffiti is by no means a good sign of a city, especially on its public transport. Advertising on public transport is perhaps, another real problem as well. As a passenger we should have the right to have a clean public transport without both advertisements and graffiti. If these costs poorer service, we still need these to be done.

By the way, Hong Kong is not safer than Singapore because of our abolishment on caning. These should be done when they are young (i.e. age 12-30)
HK never had a law on caning or any physical punishment. But the region's KCR got bombed

Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:35 PM   #271
ØlandDK
Used User

So which one did you do?

my flickr
Old August 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #272
Pippi444

Likes (Received): 0

never mind this post

Last edited by Pippi444; December 23rd, 2008 at 05:27 PM.
Pippi444 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 01:51 AM   #273
ØlandDK
Used User

Some 2008 pictures from the S-Trains in Copenhagen

my flickr
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:03 AM   #274
icracked
Kulia I Ka Nu'u

Likes (Received): 42

Actually some of those graffiti look good on that train
Old February 18th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #275
6-6-6
J'aime les concerts

Location: Mexico City (23.8 millions of people,official), 3rd largest city in the world
Likes (Received): 1

[QUOTE=Tubeman;11776384]'Actual' crimes? So trespass and criminal damage aren't crimes any longer?

It could be argued that graffiti is a pretty bad crime, as it affects so many people and costs local authorities and transport companies around the world billions each year to put right... oh, and the vast majority is shit:

Acid-etched graffiti: Art?

'Dutch' / Etched graffiti: Art?

we have lots of this type of graffiti in the metro of mexico city.
Old February 18th, 2008, 04:06 AM   #276
6-6-6
J'aime les concerts

Location: Mexico City (23.8 millions of people,official), 3rd largest city in the world

i love graffiti on trains, that for me is art, without it the trains are so boring, i wish the metro of mexico city had more graffiti, we only have scretching on windows and that is kinda lame, i think graffiti shows the lifestyle and personality of every city and that is very interesting.
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #277
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-6-6 View Post
i love graffiti on trains, that for me is art, without it the trains are so boring, i wish the metro of mexico city had more graffiti, we only have scretching on windows and that is kinda lame, i think graffiti shows the lifestyle and personality of every city and that is very interesting.
Then paint the wall of your room,or your house,or the face of your mother,but not public or private property,for which someone paid to look clean. Everyone who paints a graffiti/tags/scratches the windows should go to jail,and their families should pay the damage,since they failed to educate their children...
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:52 AM   #278
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Brand new Desiro vandalised...
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:06 AM   #279
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ØlandDK View Post
Some 2008 pictures from the S-Trains in Copenhagen
Nice pics but try to limit them to 5 Thanks.

BTW, any MOAS flicks? Are they still active?

More Mexico City

Old February 18th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #280
6-6-6
J'aime les concerts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Then paint the wall of your room,or your house,or the face of your mother,but not public or private property,for which someone paid to look clean. Everyone who paints a graffiti/tags/scratches the windows should go to jail,and their families should pay the damage,since they failed to educate their children...
in that case, i´d totally paint the face of your mother, that would be a perfect graffiti and then you could send me to jail.

who cares