daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2006, 01:07 AM   #121
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Resorting to personal attacks is a sign of not having anything intelligent to say.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2006, 06:50 PM   #122
Third of a kind
metrocard millionaire

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine
Resorting to personal attacks is a sign of not having anything intelligent to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine
ALL GRAFFITI WRITERS ARE STUPID PEOPLE!!!

I find it remarkable that some people are so self-absorbed that they think of their acts of vandalism as having artistic value!
Hey Greg, apparently you are right. Thanks for using yourself as a sign of someone without any intellegence on these boards.

Do yourself a favor and remember that when your tightening your dunce and sitting in your house eating some of that ham under your confederate flag country boy.

i'm done with this thread peace.
Third of a kind no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #123
Mr.JACOB

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third of a kind
Hey Greg, apparently you are right. Thanks for using yourself as a sign of someone without any intellegence on these boards.

Do yourself a favor and remember that when your tightening your dunce and sitting in your house eating some of that ham under your confederate flag country boy.

i'm done with this thread peace.
NICE ONE
Mr.JACOB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #124
beta29
*Made in Estonia*

Likes (Received): 68

In Berlin "European capital of graffiti" it gets even more worse!

So you see itīs a very big problem here.....
beta29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #125
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

I love Berlin.
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #126
Minato ku

Wow Berlin is... the king

In 80's Paris metro was the one of best for graffiti (Some station was completely degraded like Louvre Rivoli in 1991 and in 1992 ) but now graffiti are immediately cleaned.

Now only tunnels closed stations and advertisements are some graffiti.
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #127
Dreamliner
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

If the "artist" does his work on his own property, or on the property of others with their permission, that's fine. Otherwise, they are simply egotistical, selfish vandals. The latest problem here in NYC's subway is that now these "artists" have resorted to etching window's of train's with a type of acid. Resulting in completely obscuring and permanently ruining the window. The MTA is experimenting with an acid-resistant coating to eliminate the problem. I must say, the problem has been greatly reduced, not only on the subway, but in the neighborhoods as well.

Last edited by Dreamliner; January 7th, 2007 at 09:58 PM.
Dreamliner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #128
mankawabi

Likes (Received): 3

In San Juan's (Puerto Rico) Metro (Tren Urbano), graffiti is nonexistent The trains are as clean and pretty as they come. People respect them.
mankawabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #129
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

Yeah Tren Urbano has nothing on it but outside the metro system graff is everywhere especially Hato Rey,Carolina,Ocean Park.
NYC is being written over now by artists from Europe.
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #130
mankawabi

Likes (Received): 3

Yep, sadly that's true. But I think the level of civility people have shown in the T.U. is amazing. Now if we could only get them to respect the city as much as they do the trains... San Juan would be the neatest city on Earth.
mankawabi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 04:54 AM   #131
Taylorhoge

Likes (Received): 10

yeah but taht wont come true becuase of the amount of graff artists throughout the metro.If Basquit is having a showing at the modern museum and theyre letting artists tag the wall facing 26 then I highly doubt that its going to die in the metro.
Taylorhoge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #132
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner61 View Post
If the "artist" does his work on his own property, or on the property of others with their permission, that's fine. Otherwise, they are simply egotistical, selfish vandals. The latest problem here in NYC's subway is that now these "artists" have resorted to etching window's of train's with a type of acid. Resulting in completely obscuring and permanently ruining the window. The MTA is experimenting with an acid-resistant coating to eliminate the problem. I must say, the problem has been greatly reduced, not only on the subway, but in the neighborhoods as well.
Many years ago, vandals in Melbourne would just kick the entire window out.

These days it's really been cleaned up though, drivers will pretty much refuse to drive a train with graffiti on the outside and the stuff on the inside gets cleaned up pretty quickly, but it does really look bad when stuff has been scratched onto the windows and walls and it looks like they just used a bit of sandpaper to obscure it. And because of idiots with knifes and other sharp objects, public transport vehicles no longer have soft seats with plenty of foam inside but instead what is essentially just a bit of fabric wrapped around plastic.

In Melbourne, there's heaps of places where graffiti is tolerated, or even encouraged. The rail network isn't one of them.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #133
♣628.finst
Optimum

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
I can't stand graffiti. Go graffiti some paper in your own house, while i ride a nice clean train.
Indeed. A neatly painted concrete wall or train wall do not require any graffiti to make it functional. Graffiti is a kind of vandalism. It should not be tolerated at all.
♣628.finst no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #134
Iggui
Tercermundista de corazón

Likes (Received): 1256

the santiago metro is graffiti free, though there is some scratching out of windows. there is some graffiti on some of the exterior entrances into the subway from the street level, but not the cars or stations themselves. unfortunately, there is extensive graffiti on the buses and the city in general .

i'm not opposed to murals, but tagging just sucks.
Old January 8th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #135
luisdaniel
Rundfunk von Salzburg

Likes (Received): 20

^yep, Santiago metro none, but buses...
Old January 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #136
Jape
Resurrected User

Likes (Received): 52

We had the wildest times in the late 80's and early 90's, too. But then the city decided to get rid of graffiti definitively - even legally made graffitis were buffed in many places. Of course writers didn't give up and they are still doing them, but extremely stritch security policy has decreased the artistical quality of graffiti here.

Helsinki metro has been extremely stritcly secured and therefore almost almost graffiti free - I have seen only once a metro piece IRL and a few pictures. Tags, stickers and scrathed windows are really usual though, and outdoor stations get pieces and smaller throw ups pretty frequently.

But commuter trains have been easier to paint, especially in the olden days. I'd like to add some train pics but usually graffiti sites don't allow their material to get used without permission.

Anyway, I totally prefer graffiti (especially well-made pieces) to public adverts. Preferably I see stylish letter combinations, characters, etc in public city space than some damn leaflets that have only one function - to command us all to buy and buy. Beauty has nothing to do with the law in this case.

@Beta29 - Damn, Berlin seems to be really wild in that sense. This is just awesome!

Last edited by Jape; January 8th, 2007 at 05:00 PM.
Jape no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #137
beta29
*Made in Estonia*

Likes (Received): 68

Yes, itīs really chaotic here at the moment....itī s getting more and more worse. The biggest problems in Berlin(and in whole Germany) are the laws, theyīre just not hard enough. No one is really feared. We donīt have enough police because thereīs no money. By the way the police has really nothing to say in some districts.....police cars are going to be sprayed or tagged(photo)

I read in a newspaper that Berlin is the city with the most graffiti in the world after New York. Thatīs scary because New York has nearly 4 times more inhabitants than Berlin.

The BVG(metro) and S-bahn are trying to clean the trains in 24 hours but they just donīt get it done! The S-bahn has more outside graffiti and scratching, the metro has problems with tagging, vandalism and scratching. We also have cameras in the metro trains but the trains look as bad as always.

Of course there are a lot of very good pieces in Berlin....Iīm not a fan of vandalism and tagging but I like graffiti, when it really looks good

@Jape: Thatīs my metro station where I go to work every day....they just made it two weeks ago.....I have to say I love it!
beta29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #138
Minato ku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jape View Post

Anyway, I totally prefer graffiti (especially well-made pieces) to public adverts. Preferably I see stylish letter combinations, characters, etc in public city space than some damn leaflets that have only one function - to command us all to buy and buy. Beauty has nothing to do with the law in this case.

@Beta29 - Damn, Berlin seems to be really wild in that sense. This is just awesome!
Interesting
In Paris public averts had serious problem with graffiti some years ago between 2002 and 2004.
Those graffiti was paint by anti-averts associations
but RATP has do lawsuits against those associations.

I don't sure that my last expression is very english
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #139
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

I've never seen anything on any Chicago trains. Just the window scratching and marks on the inside of the trains.

I was in Berlin last year and the level of graffiti in that city blew away anything else i've seen.
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #140
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

out here the commuter trains get a lil grafiti on them, but for the most part people just tag the insides of the busses
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote