daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.89 average.
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #1761
OranjeS3

Likes (Received): 3

I was interested about your comment on the lower levels being left unfinished with the 'hope' of retail filling them. How unfinished do you think they will be and did they give any clue as to expected demand for the units? I suppose I am just worried that they will do a great job making the flats look good and then have an awful looking and ghost town feel to the ground floor for years as we see on so many new Sheffield apartments.
Anyone who tastes the brown elixir will agree that it's world important ;)
OranjeS3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #1762
Nathowl
Sheffield Wednesday FC

Likes (Received): 4

Thanks for the photos, great shot of st pauls tower in there too
Nathowl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #1763
larven

Likes (Received): 564

I love it. Cheers for the pics and the updates dinp.

Believe it or not the most exciting recent revelation for me was that pic of the high quality paving being used for the 'external streets'. It all very well having bold ideas and striking architecture but its important to get the details right too.
larven está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:23 AM   #1764
Steely_Blade
Steelyblade

Likes (Received): 0

It's looking better than I thought it would.

My concern is still the same though in that it's going to be v.difficult to attract people in there. Afterall there is a huge stigma attached to it.

Still think they should have only kept a smallish section and then created a new development for the rest of site....
Steely_Blade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #1765
Superfly
Who'd sit in THAT chair..

I would live in the city side at the drop of a hat! It's almost unbelievable how new they've made it look. I'm telling you, that curtain-wall design is timeless, and when it's all done it'll look like the proper piece architecture it should've been all along!

It's actually made me feel quite emotional!

Thanks Dean!

[/sob]
Superfly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM   #1766
jozblade
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 2

Great pictures! You should post them on the city talk area, if you haven't already.
jozblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #1767
judd newto
judd newton

Likes (Received): 23

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
I would live in the city side at the drop of a hat! It's almost unbelievable how new they've made it look. I'm telling you, that curtain-wall design is timeless, and when it's all done it'll look like the proper piece architecture it should've been all along!

Thanks Dean!

[/sob]
Not being a architect just a bricki,am i right in thinking in regard to your post that the original city architects got it wrong.And if so why has PH become so iconic among architects when the listing by English Heritage was so loudly condemned by all and sundry in the first place.
judd newto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #1768
Bladerunner

Likes (Received): 39

Thanks for the pics. Interesting to hear that the percentage of social housing will be so small.
Bladerunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #1769
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 64

Its the yellow that kills me a little everyday I see it!

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #1770
dinp
I Appear Missing

Likes (Received): 85

Quote:

Thanks Dean!

[/sob]
The flats are dual aspect, so irrespective of whether you get a 1 or a 2 bed,
you have windows on both sides of the building.

I'm impressed by what i've seen so far, can't wait to see a show flat once they get round to it.
Old November 9th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #1771
Bladerunner

Likes (Received): 39

I think this project really needs good landscaping between the flats and the station. Possibly an upgrade of the station tram stop too, to offer more protection against the weather. This stop will be much busier when the flats are full again.
Bladerunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #1772
hella good
PUT YOUR PAWS UP

Likes (Received): 66

I'd personally love an apartment in Park Hill, if I had the money for it
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #1773
thryve
같같같같같

Likes (Received): 15

What's that part that sticks up on the roof in the top right (in the image below)?

Quote:
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #1774
dinp
I Appear Missing

Likes (Received): 85

The lift shaft
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #1775
Superfly
Who'd sit in THAT chair..

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd newto View Post
Not being a architect just a bricki,am i right in thinking in regard to your post that the original city architects got it wrong.And if so why has PH become so iconic among architects when the listing by English Heritage was so loudly condemned by all and sundry in the first place.
Ha ha, no Judd, they didn't get it wrong at all. However, the re-specification of the building for the different uses it will have in the next 40 years has meant that a 'softening' of the original facade look and less fussy window upgrade, along with other aspects of the development, mean it's architectural style is becoming more modern, and less brutal. The image Thryve posted above is a perfect example of this. (PS there's no such thing as 'just a bricki', you built these architect's dreams!)

How ace would be if they turned the lift shaft into a duplex viewing pod. Now that'd make me very jealous!
Superfly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #1776
judd newto
judd newton

Quote:
Ha ha, no Judd, they didn't get it wrong at all. However, the re-specification of the building for the different uses it will have in the next 40 years has meant that a 'softening' of the original facade look and less fussy window upgrade, along with other aspects of the development, mean it's architectural style is becoming more modern, and less brutal. The image Thryve posted above is a perfect example of this. (PS there's no such thing as 'just a bricki', you built these architect's dreams!)

How ace would be if they turned the lift shaft into a duplex viewing pod. Now that'd make me very jealous!
Cheers Buddy,i have worked with some brilliant architects in the past . Phill Khorassandjian,[spelling]. Alan Burnell, The late great Matt Tatlow to name a few but the greatest of them all who i never new personally was Womersley, As i was only a apprentice when he and Sir Andrew Derbyshire Where changeing the face of Sheffield forever.So to me the original exterior design of there iconic buildings cannot be bettered.Cheers any way you have made my day.
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #1777
cheaperthrillz

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hella good View Post
I'd personally love an apartment in Park Hill, if I had the money for it
Why not register and go on the waiting list for one of the social housing flats?

Parkway Housing 0114 2626800

I do worry though about Parkway Housing because of the caliber of tenants they mostly deal with, mostly evicted council tenants who are now housed in properties they own on the neighbouring Wybourn estate.
cheaperthrillz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #1778
judd newto
judd newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaperthrillz View Post
Why not register and go on the waiting list for one of the social housing flats?

Parkway Housing 0114 2626800

I do worry though about Parkway Housing because of the caliber of tenants they mostly deal with, mostly evicted council tenants who are now housed in properties they own on the neighbouring Wybourn estate.
Whats the caliber then.Do you actually know any one on the Wybourn.The Parkhill was built for COUNCIL TENANTS.The goal posts are now being moved so as the wealthy can and will enjoy the city,s finest spot.Carry on worrying you deserve it.
Old November 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #1779
cheaperthrillz

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd newto View Post
Whats the caliber then.Do you actually know any one on the Wybourn.The Parkhill was built for COUNCIL TENANTS.The goal posts are now being moved so as the wealthy can and will enjoy the city,s finest spot.Carry on worrying you deserve it.
Yes several, my uncle and his neighbours life is been made a complete misery thanks to Parkway Housing assocaition, and whilst there are some very good housing associations Parkway is not one of them,

The problem arose since all the stock transfer agreements which saw former Council homes being sold off to Housing Associations, although HA's are still non-profit they're in a better position to get more money from various different funding streams,

If a HA takes on the role of wanting to 'change' ASB families, this will ensure they meet all the criteria to secure that extra funding, local councils can distance themselves, hand the problems over to HA's and the result is estates have the same neighbours from hell moving back just housed by a different aliases, who are not answerable to anyone.
cheaperthrillz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #1780
judd newto
judd newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaperthrillz View Post
Yes several, my uncle and his neighbours life is been made a complete misery thanks to Parkway Housing assocaition, and whilst there are some very good housing associations Parkway is not one of them,

The problem arose since all the stock transfer agreements which saw former Council homes being sold off to Housing Associations, although HA's are still non-profit they're in a better position to get more money from various different funding streams,

If a HA takes on the role of wanting to 'change' ASB families, this will ensure they meet all the criteria to secure that extra funding, local councils can distance themselves, hand the problems over to HA's and the result is estates have the same neighbours from hell moving back just housed by a different aliases, who are not answerable to anyone.
Well your uncle and his neighbours along with the good people i know on the Wybourn and other council estates in Sheffield will be welcome on to Parkhill when its finished, and those without the proper calibre of whatever background they may originate from can bugger off,then we all have no need to worry.
Regards Judd.

Tags
brutalism, sheffield

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: