daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 55 votes, 4.96 average.
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #561
atc367squadron
My city of Sheffield!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unners View Post
Well we have waited years for something to happen to this building and thats the best they can come up with,extra parking spaces?.

Is the whole building being reclad or are they just putting some powder coated metal louvres over the car park section,what ever they are?!

http://planningdocs.sheffield.gov.uk...e=&pageCount=2

Can not seam to find a proper render.
I agree, it's just not good enough for the location and the whole concept and the way the carpark works is just ridiculous. There's ample places for druggies and scrotes to hang around and this hasn't been looked at in the proposal. It needs gutting and rebuilt again.

No idea what 'metal louvres' are and i don't know whether the whole building (if i could call it that) will be reclad.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/garyspics/
atc367squadron no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 30th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #562
unners
Sheffield - I love it.

I just hope they do something with the Arundle Gate side,all those dirty concrete walls at the front are a disgrace. They can borrow my jet wash if they want, And i will give them a tenner towards some plants.

The whole section between the Odeon and Roxy needs sorting, just seems to be a youth club most of the time,like i say above a good clean and a planting scheme would improve that gap.

Ive said before the only reason that building is still standing is because of the money the car park creates and now its being extended we shall never get rid of it.

One final point, from a bus drivers point of view,when there is an event on at the theatres,the traffic backs up back to St Pauls,as people are trying to turn left to get to the car park from the right had lane on Arundle Gate outside the Crucible and can add 15 mins to journey times,its actually quicker to come out of the bus lane and use the outside lane.

So i feel they should look at utilising the other access points into the complex as extra spaces will only make the situation worse.
unners no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #563
paulmat
∂NNED

Likes (Received): 15

I think this is really only a temporary measure (that's the impression given by the 'design statement'). The building isn't getting reclad at all. But the shops are gonna be removed and made into more parking spaces, and the shop fronts will need to be filled. That's where the metal louvres are going.
paulmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #564
AndrewC

Likes (Received): 4

Yes, this isn't a permenant measure, or it would have been all over the Star.
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:31 PM   #565
count_domular

Likes (Received): 0

i don't understand something, i've been meaning to ask this for a while.
st pauls place 2 and 3 office blocks and the new office block on the office world site surround an empty tower of offices 'the tower'.

How can the demand for offices be so high for us to be building thousands of sq feet of space when we already have loads free in the same area??
count_domular no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #566
roneys_today

Likes (Received): 0

presumably because there is more demand for bigger, higher grade offices. st paul's and the office world building will no doubt be 'grade-A' space whereas 'the tower' is probably not.
roneys_today no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #567
paulmat
∂NNED

Yeah. As you said, 'the tower' probably doesn't have large floorplates and probably isn't Grade A. I think the St. Pauls offices and the Office World tower will be looking for one tennant to fill the whole building, wheras 'the tower' is probably more suited to multiple small tennants
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #568
Sheffy

Likes (Received): 19

The tower is quite poor office space, its built round an internal core that takes up most of the space.
Sheffy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #569
AndrewC

Likes (Received): 4

Different people want different quality/size commercial/residential/industrial space basically.
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #570
Wendigo Wendigo
I'm in your woods

Likes (Received): 131

I frequented the place at various points in the early to mid-80s, and space was pretty restricted by modern standards. There was always some sort of problem with the lifts too. From what I can remember, they never actually used to stop on the floor whose button you'd pressed. It was pot luck which floor you ended up on and there weren't any signs up to tell you, so you had to ask the people in whatever office you'd emerged in to tell you where you were. Oh how we used to laugh.
Wendigo Wendigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #571
OranjeS3

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OranjeS3 View Post
Also, just off Penistone Road on Cross Bedford Street are these apartments:

http://www.s-harrison.co.uk/
The site for these is now surrounded by boards so a start may be close. Some think they are ok, some think they look like a bupa hospital, either way it will improve the look of the route into the city from penistone road.
Anyone who tastes the brown elixir will agree that it's world important ;)
OranjeS3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:09 PM   #572
paulmat
∂NNED

I think they're actually gonna look bloody huge.

6 1/2 floors, plus a pointed roof is gonna be pretty big.
Old May 10th, 2007, 12:12 AM   #573
hella good
PUT YOUR PAWS UP

Likes (Received): 156

yea they look pretty ace
Old May 10th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #574
lewisskinner
do me bad things

Likes (Received): 2

What's "the Tower"?

Won't you please, click here to sponsor me? All proceeds to the MS Society
lewisskinner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #575
Wendigo Wendigo
I'm in your woods

Likes (Received): 131

Mini Redvers, the ex-AEU House.
Wendigo Wendigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #576
Bladerunner

Likes (Received): 55

"The Stump" would be more apt
Bladerunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #577
S.Yorks Capital

100m plan to transform one of city's most rundown areas

The shape of things to come: An artist’s impression of a copper-clad ‘artisan’ building between Wicker and Don Riverside

Previous PreviousNext Next

View GalleryBy Richard Marsden
ONE of Sheffield's most rundown streets is to be transformed into a 'gateway to the city' in a 100 million regeneration project.
The Wicker area is blighted by deteriorating buildings, congestion, litter and illegal parking - but before the end of the decade it will be home to hundreds of new apartments, offices, cafs and bars.

Work is already under way on many of the developments.

Once the new inner ring road is completed and through traffic diverted from the area, Sheffield Council will use a 2.8 million grant from Yorkshire Forward to resurface pavements and provide trees, seating, and parking bays, increasing the number of spaces on the street.

Simon Ogden, the council's head of city development, said: "The Wicker has been an area of congestion and a slowly deteriorating environment over the last 30 years since Victoria Station closed.

"The area is one of the main entrances to the city but it is not a very good welcome for visitors."

Mr Ogden said redevelopment of the Wicker was important because it was "where the settlement of Sheffield began".

"It has only moved uphill over the last 100 years or so - but the majority of the city's hotels are still around here and we want to make it one of the gateways to the city centre."

Environmental improvements to the Wicker are being designed by Mick Empsall, who was responsible for the successful regeneration of Howard Street as a pedestrian route between the city centre and Midland Station.

He said: "We have already started the works at the end of the street between the inner relief road works and Wicker Arches and hope to finish the project by the end of the year."

Work will include refurbishing the historic Blonk Street bridge and Lady's Bridge - the middle of which dates back to medieval times. Stone will be cleaned and decorative ironwork will replace concrete walls on the side of the Blonk Street structure.

A walkway, including a new bridge over the River Don, will be built from the Wicker, beneath Victoria Station Approach, to Victoria Quays.

New buildings are already rising - which will create 250 appartments and 140,000 sq ft of offices.

These include developments at the Hancock and Lants building, on the corner of Blonk Street and Lady's Bridge, inside which a historic crucible furnace from an old steelworks is being preserved as a monument to the area's past.

Meanwhile, between the Wicker and Don riverside, a spectacular copper-covered block is under construction.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #578
hella good
PUT YOUR PAWS UP

Likes (Received): 156

sounds like wicker will probably be getting some midrise apartment proposals in the future. id also like to see this copper covered block.... its not talking about north bank is it?

what website is that from?
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:30 PM   #579
paulmat
∂NNED

It's on about the North Bank residential building is it not?
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:38 PM   #580
unners
Sheffield - I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hella good View Post
sounds like wicker will probably be getting some midrise apartment proposals in the future. id also like to see this copper covered block.... its not talking about north bank is it?

what website is that from?

http://www.sheffieldtoday.net/news?articleid=2869363

There you go.

When i had a walk around the area the other week, noticed that they have started building next door to the appauling office block past the wicker,next to the car show room,Is it this that is getting a copper colour clad?
unners no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development summary

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: