daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 30th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #721
Rab2k

Likes (Received): 0

I have to agree with the general mood.

I've been three times now - twice mobbed and once with a more manageable number of visitors. It just strikes me as a very odd way to display the collection.
I coundn't say I enjoyed it all that much. No real rush to go back.

The building, materials, finish etc. are wonderful but the layout is not appealing Is it to make it child friendly? Educational? The Kelvingrove museum has the same problem for me. Cluttered and following some imposed (childish) juxtaposition of related objects.

I miss having a close look at the ship models. The cars stacked on the wall would be great for a retail environment but not for anyone who wants to see the feckin' cars.

Sponsored Links

Old March 30th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #722
djmaxliving

Likes (Received): 119

The building itself is a cracker but when you see the walls and roof inside why did they not stick with white.

The hole place is over crowded they could honestly do with a second building at the back where the current car park is to store some of the collection. The good thing is I went when it was quite and even then I did feel very confined. On a plus note I did like the fact the building is broke up so you didn't see everything at once and also the high ceilings.
Old March 31st, 2012, 11:09 AM   #723
milton

Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab2k View Post
I have to agree with the general mood.

I've been three times now - twice mobbed and once with a more manageable number of visitors. It just strikes me as a very odd way to display the collection.
I coundn't say I enjoyed it all that much. No real rush to go back.

The building, materials, finish etc. are wonderful but the layout is not appealing Is it to make it child friendly? Educational? The Kelvingrove museum has the same problem for me. Cluttered and following some imposed (childish) juxtaposition of related objects.

I miss having a close look at the ship models. The cars stacked on the wall would be great for a retail environment but not for anyone who wants to see the feckin' cars.
Depressing but true. I actively hate the people who revamped Kelvingrove.
milton está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #724
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 242

Herald

Architecture awards snub for the Riverside Museum

HAH !! Thats what you get when you dont listen to the people who will be using the building for many decades,i'm not surprised to say the least at this latest revelation.

Quote:
The museum's architect, Zaha Hadid, who is considered one of the world's most high-profile architects or "starchitects", is disappointed that the four-strong judging panel did not include her building on the 23-strong shortlist
Old April 6th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #725
legslikeaspider

Likes (Received): 21

I'm not surprised the riverside has missed out. Overall, I think I would give it a 3 out of 5. Its not as terrible as the worst reviews have made out because the pieces in the collection could be housed in any shoddy old warehouse (which indeed they were) and still be considered a strong collection but nor is it anything as good as the hype that surrounded it prior to its launch. I think we all saw it coming on here when the value engineered cladding became apparent and the internal plans came to light about how the pieces would be displayed.

I really like the shapes of the museum especially the bold, jaggedy cross section apparent in the two enormous picture windows. I like the roof which is just as interesting when viewed from the inside. I like the colourscheme inside too and some sections of the museum are tremendous. The street is great and I really like both the mocked up subway stations. I can see what they were trying to achieve with the display of the cars and the bikes but they don't quite work, especially for children. I don't like that you can't get in to all of the trams, buses and locos anymore but I do like how they have juxtaposed various forms of transport with one another e.g. a primitive canoe right next to the mighty South African locomotive, which is the undoubted star of the show. I feel such awe and, yes, a wee bit of pride when I stand admiring it: its like a great, black dinosaur. However, at the same time as enjoying looking at it, one feels a bit of regret that its not allowed more pride of place: there are so many objects nearby that its hard to get an angle to take it all in. I would have liked it if they had left it in George Square. Also, I find the spatial layout disorienting: its very easy to lose your companions and its not just because many of the objects are so big: its quite easy to lose your bearings and find yourself at completely the wrong end of the museum. The upstairs bit is also difficult to access to the point of being a secret. I went with my mum and she was amazed to discover that there was another (half) floor because there was no signage and no clear route.

So, all things considered, the museum succeeds (just) in spite of the building not because of the building. I hope I don't sound parochial when I say that an architect with superior knowledge and appreciation of Glasgow's history and culture would have done a much better job on the budget that Zaha was given. However, I don't think the blame can be entirely laid at her door because I'd be pretty confident that local people would have been involved in the design of the interior and the layout of the objects and it strikes me that most of the complaints, including my own, are less about the form of the building than its functionality.
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #726
M_Riaz
MORI

Cool BloodHound SSC

Date Occurs every day from 26th April 2012 until 29th April 2012

Time See venue opening hours
Age range All ages
Admission Free

A 44ft jet and rocket powered car which will be involved in a 1000mph world land speed record attempt is visiting Riverside Museum for three days in April.

The jet and rocket powered car has the equivalent power to 180 F1 cars, is currently in the build phase and will be completed by year end ready for UK runway testing (up to 200 mph) Q2 2013. If all goes to plan, the car then heads to South Africa to start high speed testing on the Hakskeen Pan, Northern Cape where it is expected to reach 800 mph. The team will try for 1,000 mph in 2014.

On the 26, 27 and 28 April, the show car will be on display outside Riverside Museums along with the Bloodhound Driving Experience, where people can try their hand at driving 14 times the speed limit

Old April 27th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #727
R.K.Teck
Pure East Coast

Likes (Received): 433

Cool! It's brilliant that they've managed to bring it along to the museum for a weekend, if I get the chance I'll be off to see it later on today or on Sunday.
EDIT: Today it will be, it's not there on Sunday.

The wheels were made by a Glasgow company you know!

2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7
2 0 2 0
1 7 1 7

Dundee, UK City of Culture, Candidate City

V&A Museum. Dundee Waterfront. Kengo Kuma. 2015
Jute, Jam, Journalism... and Japanese Award Winning Architecture.

Last edited by R.K.Teck; April 27th, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
R.K.Teck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #728
maccoinnich
smalltown boy

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Zaha Hadidís Riverside Museum Wins European Museum Academy Micheletti Award 2012

The Zaha Hadid Architects-designed Riverside Museum in Glasgow, Scotland has been named the most innovative museum in the fields of technology, labor and social history by the European Museum Academy. Riverside competed against museums in 12 other European countries to win the 17th annual Micheletti Award.

...continues at Bustler.

@maccoinnich
maccoinnich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:58 AM   #729
Pious Fraud

Likes (Received): 763

Good news.

And good perspective from the above article...

Pious Fraud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #730
The Boy David
Registered Win

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pious Fraud View Post

Best perspective. Hooray for helicopters. *Sigh*

Old May 9th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #731
Due East

Likes (Received): 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pious Fraud View Post
Good news.

Great pic.

Those dry docks on the South Bank are crying out for a great development (perhaps something along the lines of - though infinitesimally better than Liverpool's dry docks).

Anyone think there is any chance of them ever getting rid of that scheme in Govan? That could be an incredible site for development.
Due East no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #732
RapidTaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due East

Great pic.

Those dry docks on the South Bank are crying out for a great development (perhaps something along the lines of - though infinitesimally better than Liverpool's dry docks).

Anyone think there is any chance of them ever getting rid of that scheme in Govan? That could be an incredible site for development.
I'd far rather they concentrated on sorting Tradeston out first!
RapidTaco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #733
M_Riaz
MORI

Old June 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #734
M_Riaz
MORI

ET

New car park for the TM.

Quote:
Such has been the popularity of the dramatic structure that at times the car park has struggled to cope with demand.

But work has now started on creating more space for coaches and up to 200 additional cars
Old June 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM   #735
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 70

Really surprised to see that this hasn't been awarded an architecture award by RIBA.

http://www.architecture.com/Awards/R...nners2012.aspx
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 01:43 PM   #736
Sweet Zombie Jesus
Free Cake

Likes (Received): 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamandell (d69) View Post
Really surprised to see that this hasn't been awarded an architecture award by RIBA.

http://www.architecture.com/Awards/R...nners2012.aspx
I'm not, substance over style prevails.
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #737
Pious Fraud

Likes (Received): 763

Riverside and Summerlee museums mark Glasgow last tram anniversary

BBC News 4th September 2012

Events are being held to mark the 50th anniversary of the last public tram service in Glasgow.

The Riverside Museum in Glasgow, which houses the city's transport collection, will put its newly-refurbished 1938 Coronation Tram back on display.

The occasion will also be marked at Summerlee Museum in Coatbridge in North Lanarkshire - which operates Scotland's only electric tramway.

Glasgow's last tram ran on 4 September 1962 - ending 90 years of services.

About 250,000 people are estimated to have watched the last tram procession in the city.

The final destination on that day was the Coplawhill Tramworks in Pollokshields, which two years later became the city's first transport museum.

The refurbished 1938 Coronation Tram, will be put back on display at the Riverside Museum on Tuesday.

A special "last tram procession" feature will also be on display, telling the stories of people who witnessed the event.

Visitors will also be able to learn about Robert Cooper who was the motorman for the last tram 1089.

Councillor Archie Graham, chair of Glasgow Life, said: "The last tram procession was a celebration of Glasgow's rich transport heritage which was shared by so many people and the introduction of the Coronation Tram to the Riverside Museum is the perfect way to celebrate the anniversary.

"Visitors will once again be able to climb on board and experience what journeys by tram were like."

A series of events will also be held at Summerlee Museum to mark the anniversary.

The venue operates Scotland's only operational electric tramway, including a former Glasgow Corporation tram, number 1017.

Summerlee manager, Laura Eales, said: "Our trams are an integral part of Summerlee and provide a fascinating insight into this once familiar mode of transport.

"We look forward to marking the 50th anniversary of this historic transport event."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-19465416

~o0o~

'The last tram procession through Bridgeton Cross'
Pious Fraud no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #738
AndyKane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Due East View Post
Great pic.

So much space for development between the Riverside and the SECC too - can't help but feel something like the proposed Broomielaw Quay would be ideal along there - not to mention on the opposite bank of the Kelvin from the museum.
AndyKane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:45 AM   #739
Gommsta

Likes (Received): 117

There are some very nice schemes proposed for all along that stretch of the river. They just need to be built. This will Fill in the vacant sites and bring more life to the riverfront. Look how far we have already come in a short period of time. I know it's frustrating but we need to be patient.
Gommsta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #740
jobsenski

That land is also being entirely used as 'storgage' for the bits that make up the Hydro. Maybe not so full not that the roof is almost in place but it is certainly being utilised. Also the Riverside Museum now also has an 'over flow' car park. Its a bit of a disgrace barely a car park at all but means that its foot print has now increased on a bit of the riverside which is actually quite narrow.
jobsenski no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
transport, zaha hadid

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: