daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Sheffield Metro Area

Sheffield Metro Area For Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average.
Old April 29th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #61
Vertighost

Likes (Received): 0

Cheers but why do call me Virtighost.

Sponsored Links

Old April 30th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #62
muddycoffee
E = MC▓

Likes (Received): 24

Actually Sheffield City Airport is not quite as dead as many people think. While it didn't make the grade as a full commercial airport, the place is buzzing with small private planes and helicopters.

On a recent fine saturday afternoon I went out for a run on the motorbike and visited both airports. And I was quite surprised at how much activity there was at sheffield city, I saw a couple of small propeller engined planes land and a helicopter doing some low level flying. On the Apron there were loads of small aircraft lined up parked.

Sorry these pics are only from a mobile phone : -

muddycoffee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 03:35 PM   #63
muddycoffee
E = MC▓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTCITY
A wide body Boeing 777 aircraft can land and take off from airports with relitively short runways with a full load of passengers. The problem is when the aircraft needs to go long distances. eg. A Boeing 777 can probably get as far as say India from Cardiff, or Hong Kong from Heathrow. More fuel - heavier aircraft, heavier aircraft - longer runway!
I read recently on an aviation website about the problems aircraft have landing when it is wet. I think it was mentioned that they need to double their stopping distance, or at least add significantly to it. One reason why you sometimes get diverted to an airport in the next region where the runway is dry or they have a longer runway. Doncaster recently landed a flight which couldn't land at Coventry because the runway was too short and too wet.

Maybe having such a long runway like this in the London region is to allow a safe slow emergency landing of much larger heavier aircraft, or allow a large aircraft to land in heavy rain if it doesn't have enough fuel to get to another region where it is drier.

Also there is a problem of windshear, where very strong gusts of wind can be extremely dangerous, on take off and landing, often causing one side of an aircraft to dip unexpectedly. Apparently this causes aborted landings for safety reasons, where the aircraft goes around and has another go. I am not sure about this but I think that the problem can be lessoned with a faster landing which would mean sharper braking on the ground, another reason for a longer runway than is normally needed, especially if it is wet too.

Last edited by muddycoffee; April 30th, 2006 at 03:42 PM.
Old April 30th, 2006, 11:17 PM   #64
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycoffee
I read recently on an aviation website about the problems aircraft have landing when it is wet. I think it was mentioned that they need to double their stopping distance, or at least add significantly to it. One reason why you sometimes get diverted to an airport in the next region where the runway is dry or they have a longer runway. Doncaster recently landed a flight which couldn't land at Coventry because the runway was too short and too wet.

Maybe having such a long runway like this in the London region is to allow a safe slow emergency landing of much larger heavier aircraft, or allow a large aircraft to land in heavy rain if it doesn't have enough fuel to get to another region where it is drier.

Also there is a problem of windshear, where very strong gusts of wind can be extremely dangerous, on take off and landing, often causing one side of an aircraft to dip unexpectedly. Apparently this causes aborted landings for safety reasons, where the aircraft goes around and has another go. I am not sure about this but I think that the problem can be lessoned with a faster landing which would mean sharper braking on the ground, another reason for a longer runway than is normally needed, especially if it is wet too.
Some good points there. Again this depends on the aircraft in question. The aircraft that diverted from Coventry to Doncaster could have diverted because of a wet runway, or possibly even because the airlines technical expertise for that particular aircraft type was at Doncaster. Why would the airline otherwise pass NEMA when it has an equally long runway?
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:45 AM   #65
muddycoffee
E = MC▓

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTCITY
Some good points there. Again this depends on the aircraft in question. The aircraft that diverted from Coventry to Doncaster could have diverted because of a wet runway, or possibly even because the airlines technical expertise for that particular aircraft type was at Doncaster. Why would the airline otherwise pass NEMA when it has an equally long runway?
Actually that particular anacdode is a bit more complicated than it at first seems anyhow. As I understand, the flight was due to carry on to Doncaster, after dropping a small number of passengers off. But that day was a difficult day for flying, and several incidents that day had caused interupptions in the normal resumption of several flights, due to gusts of wind and heavy rain which was so bad in the greater coventry area it was causing flooding on the motorways nearby.
Old May 1st, 2006, 01:07 AM   #66
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 100

regarding sheffield airport

i used to have flying lessons from sheffield airport and i wa sstunned to actually find out what was happening there.

once the airport was build in the early 90s (?), the became of major interest with thelikes of ryanair and easyjet in their very early days and as far as i understand even started flights from the airport. however, the owners of the airport (sheffield city airport) started putting rents up and pricing out any airlines that wanted to use it.

it turns out that the entire area before the airport was designated green built and the only facility that coul be built on it that met the governments criteria was an airport.... so they built anairport. from that day on, the land will be classes as brownfield. so the council, in order to attract more jobs are trying to push out the airport and seel the land to developers......they have even sold off part of the runway and in the next 3 years, the runweay will be shortened to 600m....totally disgustsing.....

i even wrote a letter in disgust the sheffield council ut they said the airport had to go as it was unviable and financially unsound...bollox!!!!!

and here is a little fact... sheffiled is one of the largest cities in the northern hemisphere without a dedicated international airport.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:01 AM   #67
SmartCity
Building Sustainability

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodhousen
regarding sheffield airport

i used to have flying lessons from sheffield airport and i wa sstunned to actually find out what was happening there.

once the airport was build in the early 90s (?), the became of major interest with thelikes of ryanair and easyjet in their very early days and as far as i understand even started flights from the airport. however, the owners of the airport (sheffield city airport) started putting rents up and pricing out any airlines that wanted to use it.

it turns out that the entire area before the airport was designated green built and the only facility that coul be built on it that met the governments criteria was an airport.... so they built anairport. from that day on, the land will be classes as brownfield. so the council, in order to attract more jobs are trying to push out the airport and seel the land to developers......they have even sold off part of the runway and in the next 3 years, the runweay will be shortened to 600m....totally disgustsing.....

i even wrote a letter in disgust the sheffield council ut they said the airport had to go as it was unviable and financially unsound...bollox!!!!!

and here is a little fact... sheffiled is one of the largest cities in the northern hemisphere without a dedicated international airport.
KLM operated flights from Sheffield City Airport to Amsterdam. as did Sabena with flights to brussels. Ryanair never operated services from there. The runway is too short for any of the Boeing aircraft to land there. The largest jet aircraft to land there was a 100 seater BAE 146 (or AVRO) An Irish airline did operate flights to Dublin until it overshot the runway subsequently, the airline then cancelled flights from there. Interestingly, the aircraft was writen off and was used at Leeds (LBA) for the fire crews to train on. The airport was purchased by PEEL HOLDINGS the company behind Doncaster Sheffield Airport. Shame really, if it had been left open as a comercial airport, airlines such as Air Southwest and Flybe could have operated from there given time, with scheduled services throughout the UK and into parts of Europe. These scheduled airlines are probably less likely to operate from DSA as it is some distance from Sheffield. It looks likely that PEEL chose to close the comercial side of things at Sheffield City to protect its interests down the road at DSA. Long term, I don't see why the two airports couldn't have complemented each other.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 10:34 AM   #68
woodhousen

im sorry as i am not totally up on the entire details of the airport as i only heard this info from a fkying instructor i used to have...and the airlines that operated were wrong....i just meant that there were pax flights being used at sheffield airport.

i just think its disgusting the a city of the size of sheffiled is slowly closing down its own airport and that the council are backing it purely for the sake of a few industrial units.... one thing i realised the last time i went (some time last summer...might have changed) but the old airport terminal doesnt even call itself a bloody airport.....

a totaly f*cking waste for the city of sheffield!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM   #69
Bladerunner

Likes (Received): 55

BA City Express used to fly to and from Belfast, too. I flew into the airport a few years ago. The flight was full, although a bit cramped.

Is it definate that the runway is to be closed, and industrial units built over it?
Bladerunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 11:51 AM   #70
woodhousen

on half of it yes.....
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:11 PM   #71
Bladerunner

Likes (Received): 55

...which, I presume, will mean no more commercial flights of any description in the future. I can't beleive the airport and business park are pushing this as a positive development. It's a tragedy for the city.
Bladerunner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:39 PM   #72
woodhousen

it is, i cant understand it at all.....if anything doncaster is going to reap the benefits of the new airport than sheffield...a true step backwards for the city i think
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:35 PM   #73
woodhousen

im sorry, would this be too much to ask for...this would easily give u an airport atleast as capable as coventry and blackpool......witht he 737s and 320s to europe

Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:19 PM   #74
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 569

Can't they just extend the runway...
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:28 PM   #75
woodhousen

what do u mean?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:17 PM   #76
muddycoffee
E = MC▓

Some of you who aren't local may have missed all the local upset and complaints in the local rag "sheffield star" a year or more ago, when it was reported that the sheffield city airport was sold off in a deal for a pound.

I can't recall the full details, but as Peel owned, or own it, it seems that it was in their interest to close it down permanently to make sure that their new Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield airport which they were just about to open at the finningly site was given the biggest possible catchment area and not threatened by a more convenient upstart nearer the sheffield town centre.

People wrote at the time, that the building of an industrial estate across part of the old runway smelt of corruption because the council seemed to agree with it without any protest.
It was also reported that there was interest from 2 or 3 airlines who had continually tried to establish short flights from sheffield city, but had been refused.

Noone can predict accurately how big DSA will be in 5 or 10 years time, but it would seem feasable to me that if the sheffield city runway was preserved now, it could play a valuable shorter second runway in the future to the main one 12 miles away.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:26 PM   #77
woodhousen

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycoffee
Some of you who aren't local may have missed all the local upset and complaints in the local rag "sheffield star" a year or more ago, when it was reported that the sheffield city airport was sold off in a deal for a pound.

I can't recall the full details, but as Peel owned, or own it, it seems that it was in their interest to close it down permanently to make sure that their new Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield airport which they were just about to open at the finningly site was given the biggest possible catchment area and not threatened by a more convenient upstart nearer the sheffield town centre.

People wrote at the time, that the building of an industrial estate across part of the old runway smelt of corruption because the council seemed to agree with it without any protest.
It was also reported that there was interest from 2 or 3 airlines who had continually tried to establish short flights from sheffield city, but had been refused.

Noone can predict accurately how big DSA will be in 5 or 10 years time, but it would seem feasable to me that if the sheffield city runway was preserved now, it could play a valuable shorter second runway in the future to the main one 12 miles away.
i really dont get it.....can someone please tell me what logic the city council have for closing down this airport?
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:40 PM   #78
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 569

Sound Pollution? Noise Levels? (bearing in mind that Robin Hood isnt as near an urban area) They might have decided it was better to have an international airport with regional benefit 35km away from Sheffield than have a smaller airport with small local benefit 5-10km from Sheffield.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:43 PM   #79
woodhousen

i agree..... but this extension wouldnt make it an international airport, just one that would be able to offer flights without limiting loads....ie the 737 a320........ and this would be no worse than the expansion of heathrow, birmingham, blackpool and glasgow!
Old May 2nd, 2006, 08:44 PM   #80
woodhousen

just found this article....im screaming at it as i read it

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-cit...d-city-airport

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: