daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favorite?
Ernst Happel Stadion, Wien 54 18.56%
Sankt Jakob Park, Basel 81 27.84%
Wörthersee Arena, Klagenfurt 62 21.31%
Tivoli Stadion, Innsbruck 12 4.12%
Stade de Genève, Genève 13 4.47%
Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, Bern 37 12.71%
Stadion Salzburg, Salzburg 9 3.09%
Letzigrund, Zurich 23 7.90%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 31st, 2007, 12:18 PM   #241
Lake

Likes (Received): 49

Here some images of the new Letzigrund Stadion in Zurich that will have it's official opening next friday with the "worldclass zurich"

Lake no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:31 PM   #242
milivanili

Likes (Received): 3

great stadium!!!
milivanili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:04 PM   #243
LMCA1990
Top tier

Likes (Received): 3456

I prefer Sankt Jakob Park over Ernst Happel Stadion. Quality over capacity
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #244
railcity

Likes (Received): 58

Inauguration of Letzigrund with the Worldclass Athletics event:

http://www.sf.tv/var/videoplayer.php...0%3A29%3A58.30

http://www.sf.tv/var/videoplayer.php...%3A25%3A05.331

http://www.sf.tv/var/videoplayer.php...%3A22%3A35.803

Athlete of the Day: Blanka Vlasic

railcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #245
Bobby3

Likes (Received): 52

I love Blanka

Is FCZ back at the stadium?
Bobby3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #246
railcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby3 View Post
I love Blanka

Is FCZ back at the stadium?
Yes, the "football inauguration" will be on 23.September the local derby FCZ - Grasshoppers.

4 days later the first international game, UEFA-Cup 1st round return match FCZ - Empoli.

And on 13.October the Swiss national team will welcome co-host Austria for a Friendly in this stadium.
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #247
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Klagenfurt's Wörtherseestadion was inaugurated today, as well.
Austria played Japan, match ended 0-0. Terrible football...nice stadium.

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #248
matherto

Likes (Received): 1

You know, it might have a running track, but I'd happily watch football at the new Zurich stadium. It's really classy in my opinion, and I especially like the roof.
matherto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:59 AM   #249
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Looks nice indeed:

[img]http://images.***************/20070906/satdiongr.jpg[/img]

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #250
earthJoker
Ölm

Likes (Received): 1986

The new Letzigrund is really fantastic. Of course it's an athletics stadium but the Weltklasse Zürich is the most important yearly sport of the city. What I still don't know is how the extra seats will be built into the stadium. I once read that the lower tiers will temporarily be more flat and come closer to the field.

See you in the Swiss Forum on skyscrapercity.com
earthJoker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #251
railcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthJoker View Post
The new Letzigrund is really fantastic. Of course it's an athletics stadium but the Weltklasse Zürich is the most important yearly sport of the city. What I still don't know is how the extra seats will be built into the stadium. I once read that the lower tiers will temporarily be more flat and come closer to the field.
AFAIK, there will be a temporary construction spanning approximately from the middle of the tier to the other side of the tracks closer to the pitch at both ends.
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #252
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Would it be impossible to think of a joint club competition between Switserland and Austria in the (near) future. Have there been sounds like that?
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #253
railcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
Would it be impossible to think of a joint club competition between Switserland and Austria in the (near) future. Have there been sounds like that?
Quite long ago, there has been a discussion about it between the two associations.

In my point of view, it would not make much sense. The Austrian teams are currently in average on a little bit lower level than the Swiss ones. The regional/national rivalries and the National Championship titles are highly valued in both countries like almost everywhere in Europe. So, there is a lot to lose, and probably nothing to win from such a scheme.

The attendances for the two UEFA-Cup duels between teams of the two countries recently were about 3 times lower than national league attendances of the respective teams.

Even when Grasshoppers played in UEFA-Cup group stage the cup-holder FC Sevilla at home, the attendance was lower than in a league game against a team from Eastern Switzerland some days before that.

The quality and competitiveness would most probably not increase, especially for the Swiss teams. Maybe, if only the best five teams of each country would form a common 10-teams league the level would be the same or a little bit higher than now. But attendances would be for sure lower.

What could be beneficial though for Swiss teams, if the 3-4 best of them could compete in Serie A or Bundesliga. I am sure that the best teams from Switzerland are strong enough for this level and would have good chances to avoid relegation successfully.

In general, Austria and Switzerland are neighbouring countries which have virtually no problems whatsoever with eachother - but also (unfortunately) at the moment not much interest in each other. Neighbouring countries like Italy, Germany, France and for Austria also its eastern neighbours are much more in the focus for both - even though both share very similar size and geographical circumstances. In this sense, Euro 2008 is a great opportunity to change this a little bit.

One of the reasons for this is probably that in historically centralistic Austria, the capital is at the very eastern side of the country. Vorarlberg, the western-most part of Austria, bordering to Switzerland, is the most remote region within Austria. After WW I, the population of Vorarlberg, where the dialect is more similar to Swiss than to Viennese-Bavarian spoken in the rest of Austria, even decided to join the Swiss Confederation - but the Swiss government was hesitant about it because they didn't want to increase the relative importance of the German-speaking population in the country in relation to the other languages.

Historically, in the Middle Age, the Swiss confederates were fighting successfully against the feudalistic rulers, among them the house of Habsburg (later: Habsburg-Austria) and were throwing them out of the country. This had in the end a lasting impact on cultural differences between the two countries. Austria became a centralistic monarchy and one of the major European strongholds of catholicism, whereas federalistic Switzerland was one of the centers of Reformation, the first and most developped Democracy in Europe and in general open to new movements.

These differences can IMHO even be seen in the stadium designs. Vienna has the biggest stadium, whereas the other stadiums in Austria have all 2nd tiers with a rather provisional character. The stadiums in Switzerland are all more or less on an equal level in terms of size/costs, they are all middle-sized and very solid, but they are very different from eachother in character and design. Every stadium unique and much innovation.

Last edited by railcity; September 10th, 2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old September 16th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #254
Bahnsteig4

Aren't you bending your imagination a little?

Old September 16th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #255
Hoferat

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by railcity View Post
Quite long ago, there has been a discussion about it between the two associations.

In my point of view, it would not make much sense. The Austrian teams are currently in average on a little bit lower level than the Swiss ones. The regional/national rivalries and the National Championship titles are highly valued in both countries like almost everywhere in Europe. So, there is a lot to lose, and probably nothing to win from such a scheme.

The attendances for the two UEFA-Cup duels between teams of the two countries recently were about 3 times lower than national league attendances of the respective teams.

Even when Grasshoppers played in UEFA-Cup group stage the cup-holder FC Sevilla at home, the attendance was lower than in a league game against a team from Eastern Switzerland some days before that.

The quality and competitiveness would most probably not increase, especially for the Swiss teams. Maybe, if only the best five teams of each country would form a common 10-teams league the level would be the same or a little bit higher than now. But attendances would be for sure lower.

What could be beneficial though for Swiss teams, if the 3-4 best of them could compete in Serie A or Bundesliga. I am sure that the best teams from Switzerland are strong enough for this level and would have good chances to avoid relegation successfully.

In general, Austria and Switzerland are neighbouring countries which have virtually no problems whatsoever with eachother - but also (unfortunately) at the moment not much interest in each other. Neighbouring countries like Italy, Germany, France and for Austria also its eastern neighbours are much more in the focus for both - even though both share very similar size and geographical circumstances. In this sense, Euro 2008 is a great opportunity to change this a little bit.

One of the reasons for this is probably that in historically centralistic Austria, the capital is at the very eastern side of the country. Vorarlberg, the western-most part of Austria, bordering to Switzerland, is the most remote region within Austria. After WW I, the population of Vorarlberg, where the dialect is more similar to Swiss than to Viennese-Bavarian spoken in the rest of Austria, even decided to join the Swiss Confederation - but the Swiss government was hesitant about it because they didn't want to increase the relative importance of the German-speaking population in the country in relation to the other languages.

Historically, in the Middle Age, the Swiss confederates were fighting successfully against the feudalistic rulers, among them the house of Habsburg (later: Habsburg-Austria) and were throwing them out of the country. This had in the end a lasting impact on cultural differences between the two countries. Austria became a centralistic monarchy and one of the major European strongholds of catholicism, whereas federalistic Switzerland was one of the centers of Reformation, the first and most developped Democracy in Europe and in general open to new movements.

These differences can IMHO even be seen in the stadium designs. Vienna has the biggest stadium, whereas the other stadiums in Austria have all 2nd tiers with a rather provisional character. The stadiums in Switzerland are all more or less on an equal level in terms of size/costs, they are all middle-sized and very solid, but they are very different from eachother in character and design. Every stadium unique and much innovation.
Dude! Going a bit overboard there.
Hoferat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #256
railcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkunz/VIE View Post
Aren't you bending your imagination a little?
Which part do you mean? Do you doubt that the level of centralism in history has an impact on architecture, including stadia?
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #257
Bahnsteig4

I don't doubt it, I deny it.

Old September 16th, 2007, 10:00 PM   #258
cinosanap
Profile of the Rising Sun

Likes (Received): 17

Will the stadiums be able to cope with the Tartan Army when we qaulify??!

Seriously, I hope to make it over with my pals next year to go crazy, drink hard and capture a few games aswell. Always wanted to visit Aus/Swis so this would be a perfect opertunity.
cinosanap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #259
railcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkunz/VIE View Post
I don't doubt it, I deny it.
So, Vienna (and therefore its stadium) is much bigger than other Austrian cities/stadiums because of what? NOT because of the historical centralism?
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #260
railcity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinosanap View Post
Will the stadiums be able to cope with the Tartan Army when we qaulify??!

Seriously, I hope to make it over with my pals next year to go crazy, drink hard and capture a few games aswell. Always wanted to visit Aus/Swis so this would be a perfect opertunity.
You're welcome! There will be also opportunities to watch the games outside the stadiums if you don't get tickets. And you fancy Floorball? That's quite special. Switzerland really is a Floorball country. In schools it's the most popular sport together with Football.