daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: Your favorite?
Ernst Happel Stadion, Wien 54 18.56%
Sankt Jakob Park, Basel 81 27.84%
Wörthersee Arena, Klagenfurt 62 21.31%
Tivoli Stadion, Innsbruck 12 4.12%
Stade de Genève, Genève 13 4.47%
Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, Bern 37 12.71%
Stadion Salzburg, Salzburg 9 3.09%
Letzigrund, Zurich 23 7.90%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #261
cinosanap
Profile of the Rising Sun
 
cinosanap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Posts: 2,846
Likes (Received): 17

Dunno if I would come if we don't qualify until a later date.

Yeh, I enjoy floorball. Really good sport and I hope to ply for Great Britian in a couple of years. Do you play?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by legslikeaspider View Post
Single malt whisky, along with the word 'jobby', is one of Scotland's great gifts to the world.
cinosanap no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #262
Basel_CH
Registered User
 
Basel_CH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,502
Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by railcity View Post
So, Vienna (and therefore its stadium) is much bigger than other Austrian cities/stadiums because of what? NOT because of the historical centralism?
Yeah, thats the reason why Basel has the greatest stadium in Switzerland!
Basel_CH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #263
Bahnsteig4
.
 
Bahnsteig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vienna.
Posts: 5,709
Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
So, Vienna (and therefore its stadium) is much bigger than other Austrian cities/stadiums because of what? NOT because of the historical centralism?
That's not what I critisize...

Quote:
Vienna has the biggest stadium, whereas the other stadiums in Austria have all 2nd tiers with a rather provisional character. The stadiums in Switzerland are all more or less on an equal level in terms of size/costs, they are all middle-sized and very solid, but they are very different from eachother in character and design. Every stadium unique and much innovation.
Where exactly do you see the difference between Basel, Bern, Geneva, Salzburg, Klagenfurt and Innsbruck? The fact that the Austrian stadiums are bound to be rebuilt to 12,000 to 18,000 seats is not due to Austrian centralism (which no doubt exists), but rather due to the lower attendance in AT. That seems to be changing, however. The first Bundesliga match between Austria Kärnten and Austria Wien in the new stadium in KLU yesterday was full. The attendance numbers are ever increasing in AT, regardless of the terrible, terrible football that the national squad is showing at the moment.
Stade de Genève is definitely not more innovative than Wörthersee, Tivoli or Siezenheim.

I really don't want to be childish and start a CH-AT fight here, I just felt I needed to get a few facts straight.
Let's hope for a great tournament in two wonderful countries!
__________________
VIENNA - Should Europe fear this city?

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!


Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #264
railcity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,494
Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkunz/VIE View Post
That's not what I critisize...
Where exactly do you see the difference between Basel, Bern, Geneva, Salzburg, Klagenfurt and Innsbruck? The fact that the Austrian stadiums are bound to be rebuilt to 12,000 to 18,000 seats is not due to Austrian centralism (which no doubt exists), but rather due to the lower attendance in AT. That seems to be changing, however. The first Bundesliga match between Austria Kärnten and Austria Wien in the new stadium in KLU yesterday was full. The attendance numbers are ever increasing in AT, regardless of the terrible, terrible football that the national squad is showing at the moment.
Stade de Genève is definitely not more innovative than Wörthersee, Tivoli or Siezenheim.
As you mention yourself, the stadia in Salzburg, Klagenfurt and Innsbruck have been planned to be reduced after the Euro, and this is really visible - the 2nd tiers look provisional. Of course, Klagenfurt has a fancy roof, but underneath it, is a provisional-looking tier. I don't criticize that at all. I just mention the difference. It's perfectly rational based on the situation when decisions were made.

The stadia in Switzerland, on the other hand, are all "in one-piece", solid, built to last. So, there is a difference. On the other hand, Switzerland in contrary to Austria doesn't have a 50'000+ stadium because national representation is not a priority and there is no city which is in size on a totally different level than all the others. The stadia are built based solely on local needs and this is what seems to me kinda typical.

It would be unthinkable in a country like Austria, France or Russia, that the main stadium is not in the capital - in contrary to countries like USA, Switzerland and partially also Germany. Why the biggest Austrian stadium is in Vienna and not in another Austrian city? As far as I can judge it, because Vienna (based on its historical centralism) has the potential to attract crowds of 50'000 for important games and it is also difficult to imagine in general to play important national games not in Vienna.

The stadium in Geneva is by the way my favourite stadium in Switzerland. The view, also in upper sections, is just fantastic. The players on the ground seem so close as if reaching out your hand you could hand-shake with them. And I very much like the erratic round form of the bowl and the garnet colour which result in a cosy atmosphere - and you don't need to turn your neck as much in the edges like in a totally rectangular stadium. You are together with 30'000 people in one place, but it feels as if you would be sitting in a lounge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkunz/VIE View Post
I really don't want to be childish and start a CH-AT fight here, I just felt I needed to get a few facts straight.
Let's hope for a great tournament in two wonderful countries!
No doubts. Just next time mention your facts straight away. Criticism is good as long as it is accompanied by a rationale.
railcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #265
chadw_
Registered User
 
chadw_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 434
Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
solely on local needs
i disagree. neither bern, nor geneva nor zurich really need a 30k stadium. 20'000-23'000 would be far enough for both bern and zurich. geneva doesn't even need a 15'000 stadium, even if it had a club in the first divison.
chadw_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #266
railcity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,494
Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadw_ View Post
i disagree. neither bern, nor geneva nor zurich really need a 30k stadium. 20'000-23'000 would be far enough for both bern and zurich. geneva doesn't even need a 15'000 stadium, even if it had a club in the first divison.
that was not the point - I meant they are a LOCAL initiative, (nearly) not considering NATIONAL issues - in Bern an extension of the stadium to 40'000 was denied - and in Basel the extension was only finally decided when FC Basel had an average League attendance of close to 30'000 already.

in terms of capacities - your time horizon seems to be 1-2 years max. - the attendances are changing quite considerably over time and a stadium has to be built with a timeline of rather 20-30 years ahead

just look at the League attendance growth this year in comparison with last year:

- Bern (Young Boys): +24%
- Zürich (FC Zurich): +21%
- Zürich (Grasshoppers): +39%

...and this, even though the Zurich clubs have not moved yet to the new stadium....

Geneva is a special story. But also there, in 5-7 years time, things can already look a lot more positive. Bern, for example, has increased their average attendance by 150% in the last 3 years!! 3 years ago, you would have said, a 10'000-stadium is more than enough for Bern. Now you say 20'000 is max. But that's the level they have already today (currently they're at 19'000 average and 25'000 maximum attendance, respectively). And if they continue like that, already next year, your proposed stadium size will be way too small even for the average matches...
railcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #267
railcity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,494
Likes (Received): 58

While all over Europe teams are struggling to qualify, the two co-hosts of Euro 2008 encountered eachother in a friendly which was at the same time the first international game in the new Letzigrund stadium. Switzerland - Austria 3:1.

http://www.sf.tv/var/videoplayer.php...%3A03%3A31.442



railcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #268
Bahnsteig4
.
 
Bahnsteig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vienna.
Posts: 5,709
Likes (Received): 93

The stadium is lovely, the match was...
__________________
VIENNA - Should Europe fear this city?

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!


Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #269
Rbs
Registered User
 
Rbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: VIE | BRM
Posts: 18,932
Likes (Received): 205

Dreadful for Austria i know
__________________

MAKE ART NOT WAR
Rbs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #270
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Occupied Europe
Posts: 23,660

I hope Germany will be in Austria's group. How sweet would it be to beat them by at least 5 goals.
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #271
Bahnsteig4
.
 
Bahnsteig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vienna.
Posts: 5,709
Likes (Received): 93

I will not happen.









I hope.
__________________
VIENNA - Should Europe fear this city?

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!


Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #272
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Occupied Europe
Posts: 23,660

It would only be for your own good. Just look at Germany. We had to get really bad before things changed for the better.
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #273
Bahnsteig4
.
 
Bahnsteig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vienna.
Posts: 5,709
Likes (Received): 93

We've had our share of emberassing games, too. 1:1 against MLT, 2:1 against LIE, 0:2 against VEN, incredibly weak performances against JPN, CHL, SCO, PAR, etc.... It's enough already.
__________________
VIENNA - Should Europe fear this city?

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!


Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #274
milivanili
Registered User
 
milivanili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Velika Gorica
Posts: 246
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
I hope Germany will be in Austria's group. How sweet would it be to beat them by at least 5 goals.
It will not happen, because Germany, Greece, Austira and Switzerland will be in each groups. Dont ask me why, its just like that!
milivanili no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #275
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA
 
Kampflamm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Occupied Europe
Posts: 23,660

Maybe, maybe not. We might be in Pot #2 if we lose the next qualifiers.
__________________
Free German passport

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:22 AM   #276
Bahnsteig4
.
 
Bahnsteig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vienna.
Posts: 5,709
Likes (Received): 93

...which is unlikely.

But you'll get your A-D match next year, anyway. In March, I believe...
__________________
VIENNA - Should Europe fear this city?

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!


Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #277
skaP187
Registered User
 
skaP187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alicante
Posts: 2,207
Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
I hope Germany will be in Austria's group. How sweet would it be to beat them by at least 5 goals.
I hope Germany does not even get to play in Austria or Switserland...
__________________
Truth is like poetry.
And most people hate ******* poetry.
skaP187 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM   #278
Aka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,382
Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
I hope Germany does not even get to play in Austria or Switserland...
Too late.
Aka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:14 PM   #279
Bahnsteig4
.
 
Bahnsteig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Vienna.
Posts: 5,709
Likes (Received): 93

Well, they will definitely not play in Switserland.
They got a 50% chance of playing in Switzerland, though.
__________________
VIENNA - Should Europe fear this city?

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!


Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM   #280
railcity
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,494
Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkunz/VIE View Post
Well, they will definitely not play in Switserland.
They got a 50% chance of playing in Switzerland, though.
No, it's Sweets-erland. Chocolata, chocolata,....
railcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu