daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favorite?
Ernst Happel Stadion, Wien 54 18.56%
Sankt Jakob Park, Basel 81 27.84%
Wörthersee Arena, Klagenfurt 62 21.31%
Tivoli Stadion, Innsbruck 12 4.12%
Stade de Genève, Genève 13 4.47%
Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, Bern 37 12.71%
Stadion Salzburg, Salzburg 9 3.09%
Letzigrund, Zurich 23 7.90%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 1st, 2006, 07:55 PM   #21
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

They fulfill the UEFA's needs, so they will satisfy your needs as well. As I have already stated above, the Stadiums in Innsbruck and Salzburg DO look very small, but they both will become twice as big until 2008 by adding additional 15.000 seats. Wait and see!

(And you will not be able to beat the mountain view from the stadium in Innsbruck

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:37 AM   #22
vivayo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

maybe some of them have good quality, but honestly all of them look very cheap. including Ernst Happel, which looks very 80's, maybe a very big renovation could do it
vivayo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM   #23
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Somebody from Austria please tell me why they didn't use Rapid Wien's or Austria Wien's stadium, they're Austria's only real European candidates, right?
Martuh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:02 AM   #24
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Ernst-Happel-Stadion actually has more soul and spirit than all the other stadiums together, a little like a South American Arena...

Well, Martuh, Hanappi-Stadion, Rapid's stadium is too small (18,000) and there is neither space for an enlargement, nor is the neighbourhood suited for such an event. (ie no major roads, lack of parking lots, even though a new garage was opened not to long ago.
Rapid still is my team, though...

The Horr-Stadion of Austria (the team all Rapid fans hate!) is ugly and a scar in Vienna's face, even though it is quite easily accessible by the city motorway A23. But same problem here: No parking opportunities, no space. And faaaar from being internationally suitable. (11,800) Both teams have their important int'l games in Happel-Stadion (ie Champions league, UEFA-Cup) Rapid uses the Hanappi-Stadion for preliminary UEFA-Cup matches. The Vienna derby nearly often takes place in the Happel-Stadion as well.

Horr-Stadion:

Happel-Stadion:

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:36 AM   #25
bubomb
BANNED

All good stadiums apart from Zurich. I have been to Sankt Jacob Park,Basel, superb stadium and will be even better after the upgrade. Stade de Suisse Wankdorf Bern looks superb as well (very famous stadium). Very modern and clean looking stadium. As for the countries, 2 great modern advanced wealthy countries with great architecture and history. The tournament will be superb. I couldn't stand Portugal, it was like being in a 3rd world country. Portugal was dirty, had poor facilities and the organisation from transport to hotels was awful. If you get a chance visit Vienna and Salzburg, 2 of the most amazing cities in the world.

The photos of Stadion Salzburg and Tivoli Stadion Innsbruck are the present stadiums. They will be doubled in size and look totally different by the time the tournament comes around.
bubomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:08 AM   #26
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

The organisation for euro 2004 was less than great I agree but I don't think you can say the stadiums were not a good deal better than these if only in size. I got all the tickets I applied for in Portugal, I doubt the same would be true if I desided to go to this one.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:09 AM   #27
Filipe_Golias
Biochem Guy

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubomb
I couldn't stand Portugal, it was like being in a 3rd world country. Portugal was dirty, had poor facilities and the organisation from transport to hotels was awful.
Gee, thanks! Gladly, i doubt the big majority of the fans who came here have that view... UEFA surely didn't think that way I'm sorry my country didn't suit your needs.

Filipe_Golias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 12:43 PM   #28
cianobuckley

Likes (Received): 17

Will someone please tell me how this bid was prefered to the Scotland/Ireland bid?This is a major step down from Portugal and there are only two large stadia Ernst Happeol (50k) but with a running track and st jakob park only 42k!!!

Scotland and Ireland on the other hand have,
Croke Park 75,000
Murrayfield 67,500
Celtic Park 60,000
New Lansdowne Road 52,000
Hampden Park 50,000
Ibrox 50,000
+
one other proposed 30,000 seater
I know that proximity and location is the problem but lets face it thats all the Austria/Switzerland bid has going for it!
cianobuckley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:13 PM   #29
Iain1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by cianobuckley
Will someone please tell me how this bid was prefered to the Scotland/Ireland bid?This is a major step down from Portugal and there are only two large stadia Ernst Happeol (50k) but with a running track and st jakob park only 42k!!!

Croke Park 75,000
Murrayfield 67,500
Celtic Park 60,000
Hampden Park 50,000
Ibrox 50,000
+
I know that proximity and location is the problem but lets face it thats all the Austria/Switzerland bid has going for it!
I think UEFA decided that having EURO 2008 in Scotland was too soon after EURO1996 in England and that Scotland shouldna't have bothered bidding in the first place. They also didn't like the GAA's rather hostile attitude towards Football. The GAA own Croke Park.

Personally I thought that the Celtic bid had by far the better stadiums. In fact if Wales was included the lis of facilities would be very, very impressive and even the larger countries like Spain or Italy would struggle to match.

Croke Park 75,000
Millenium Stadium 74,500
Murrayfield 67,500
Celtic Park 60,000
Hampden Park 50,000
Tynecastle 30,000+ (after main stand re-built and corners added)
Ibrox 50,000
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:57 PM   #30
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by cianobuckley

Croke Park 75,000
Murrayfield 67,500
Celtic Park 60,000
Hampden Park 50,000
Ibrox 50,000
+

some scottish fans seem to be ignorant of the reasons why the bid failed, even though i would of like to see it in scotland. Firstly CROKE PARK was NOT included in the bid, secondly you CANT have 3 stadiums in one city(Glasgow), Thirdly UEFA prefer in a jointbid for the countries to share out the venues, so four each.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 05:11 PM   #31
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipe_Golias
Gee, thanks! Gladly, i doubt the big majority of the fans who came here have that view... UEFA surely didn't think that way I'm sorry my country didn't suit your needs.
While I'd agree with bubomb that some of the organisation wasnt great(very crowded checkpoints outside the stadiums mainly) I liked the country as a whole alot, espeically the north near the house I rented with some friends/relatives.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #32
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
01.02.2006 - Dritter Rang der Tribüne C wächst

Obwohl der ersten Spatenstich für den Ausbau des Basler St. Jakob Park bereits am 9. Mai 2005 stattgefunden hatte, blieb die Fortschritte für Stadiongäste lange unsichtbar. Denn die Fundamente des dritten Rangs der Tribüne C wurden hinter und unter den dortigen Traversen und damit außerhalb des Sichtfeldes der Besucher gelegt.
Das Ausmaß der bisherigen Arbeiten zeigte sich erst, als die Bauarbeiter Anfang November in einer Ecke zur Tribüne D hin das Stadiondach abmontierten und erste Zahnbalken des neuen Rangs sichtbar wurden. Inzwischen wurde auch mit der Verlegung erster Fertigbetonelemente für die 18 neuen Sitzreihen mit etwa 7.000 zusätzlichen Sitzplätzen begonnen.
Bei weiterhin planmäßigem Bauablauf soll der dritte Rang mit seiner aus beleuchtbaren, luftgefüllten Folienkissen bestehenden Fassade – ähnlich der Münchner Allianz Arena – im kommenden November fertig gestellt sein. (Stadionwelt, 01.02.2006)

Source: Stadionwelt.de
Don't know what's in the message (I barely speak German) but it comes down to; construction of the third tier had started in Basel!
Martuh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #33
Marco_
XXX

Likes (Received): 2

Most of these stadiums are between 30.000 - 40.000. Too small for such a big tournament I think.
And I don't like them, honestly. Except for Tivoli-stadium
Marco_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #34
bubomb
BANNED

but Tivoli-stadium hasn't been built yet!!

Does anybody actually understand that Stadion Salzburg and Tivoli Stadion Innsbruck have not actually been built yet? Those photos are the present stadiums. They will be doubled in size and look totally different by the time the tournament comes around.
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #35
bubomb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd
some scottish fans seem to be ignorant of the reasons why the bid failed, even though i would of like to see it in scotland. Firstly CROKE PARK was NOT included in the bid, secondly you CANT have 3 stadiums in one city(Glasgow), Thirdly UEFA prefer in a jointbid for the countries to share out the venues, so four each.

Erm......NO. No Scottish fans are ignorant of why the bid failed, as i'm the only Scottish fan here and those are the reasons I gave for the bid failing in a previous thread. It's non-Scots who are ignorant of why the bid failed.
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #36
Iain1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubomb
Erm......NO. No Scottish fans are ignorant of why the bid failed, as i'm the only Scottish fan here and those are the reasons I gave for the bid failing in a previous thread. It's non-Scots who are ignorant of why the bid failed.
Fair enough. I hold my hands up. I'd though it was disorganisation on the Irish side more than anything. And I downloaded the bid pdf too.
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #37
bubomb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1974
Fair enough. I hold my hands up. I'd though it was disorganisation on the Irish side more than anything. And I downloaded the bid pdf too.

The Irish didn't help either. As they had zero definite stadiums in the joint bid. Scotland had 3 definites - 2 in Glasgow and Murrayfield. So it is fair to say that disorganisation by the Irish heavily hindered the bid.
Old February 4th, 2006, 04:58 PM   #38
cinosanap
Profile of the Rising Sun

Likes (Received): 17

:(

I can't belive Scot/Eire lost to this.
Croke Park should have been made available.
Hopefully with Lansdown Road getting rebuilt we can get another bid in.
We would hav Croke Park, Lansdown Road, Hampden, Murrayfield, Celtic Park & Ibrox which are all over 50,000. If having most of th stadia in one city is problem there is Pittodrie (which may be re-built if we did enter and win), Rugby Park and (if the GAA allow it) Pairc Ui Caoimh and Pearse Stadium. Not but for two small countries.

Last edited by cinosanap; February 4th, 2006 at 05:06 PM.
cinosanap no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #39
bubomb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinosanap
I can't belive Scot/Eire lost to this.
Croke Park should have been made available.
Hopefully with Lansdown Road getting rebuilt we can get another bid in.
We would hav Croke Park, Lansdown Road, Hampden, Murrayfield, Celtic Park & Ibrox which are all over 50,000. If having most of th stadia in one city is problem there is Pittodrie (which may be re-built if we did enter and win), Rugby Park and (if the GAA allow it) Pairc Ui Caoimh and Pearse Stadium. Not but for two small countries.

but 'may be re-built' is not good enough. UEFA like definite guaranteed plans.

Ireland have zero definite stadiums (Croke Park is not definite as the strange Gaelic people might not allow it to be used, and the stand behind one goal is unusable) and Scotland only has 3 definites (2 in Glasgow, one in Edinburgh). You can only have 2 stadiums in the same city at most.

Last edited by bubomb; February 4th, 2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old February 4th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #40
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Heres a nice view of St.Jakobs Park from the outside:

It will be a fantastic venue.
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote