daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favorite?
Ernst Happel Stadion, Wien 54 18.56%
Sankt Jakob Park, Basel 81 27.84%
Wörthersee Arena, Klagenfurt 62 21.31%
Tivoli Stadion, Innsbruck 12 4.12%
Stade de Genève, Genève 13 4.47%
Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, Bern 37 12.71%
Stadion Salzburg, Salzburg 9 3.09%
Letzigrund, Zurich 23 7.90%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #521
mavn

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by michał_ View Post
I think the Greeks were too uneconomical and their bid wasn't well thought through. If countries of size and potential (in filling the venues to make them profitable) of Austria and Switzerland can host a Euro that will be beneficial for them, then Greece shouldn't have a problem hosting smaller Olympics (I know, number of venues is high, but their standard doesn't have to be and more of them can be built temporarily). The fact they made no good outcome is their fault, but not an argument against giving the organization to smaller countries.

You think Holland wouldn't make good Olympics? I think you would do fantastic and have a lot of benefits from it without the white elephant effect. Just like the World Cup for which you are bidding after all...

By the way- calling Holand a relatively rich is either false modesty or ignorance my friend
Or at least it shows the difference in scale considering viewpoints. For me Poland is a relatively rich country. Sierra Leone is poor...

PS: I still have problem understanding you point of view after what you wrote about Poland and Ukraine...

My parents didn't use an ox to plough, we had a horse... Does the communist background make us proviliged in any way if our situation is quite like Portugal's?
The Olympics aren't smaller than an EC! Last time I checked, the Olympics were still bigger than a WC... Although I think it depends on the basis of which you define big... Attendance, Cost, Revenue, attending nations, tv audience, ...

I definitely think we could host the Olympics and a WC. But if our economy would suffer from it we shouldn't do it.

I don't think building 9 new stadiums for a three week event of which 6 will cost more in maintenance than comes in from revenues (let alone building costs) is not the way to do it. Our (the dutch side at least) WC bid will probably include not even 1 "world cup stadium". All stadiums that would be used will be build regardless of a worldcup.

Organizing these kind of events will always mean you're doing extra than absolutely necessary. It' shouldn't mean however going completely overboard like Portugal did with their stadiums.

When I said "relatively rich" I said that because we're a small country. On total GDP we're 20th in the world. On GDP per capita 10th. If you want to call that rich that's fine by me.

You're communist background doesn't make you privileged. It is however a clear reason as to why your infrastructure, economy, and so forth is still behind on the western European countries. Even "eastern" Germany is economically still behind the western part although they've been the same nation again for nearly 20 years.

Last edited by mavn; June 15th, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
mavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #522
ingstad

Hello.
Can someone post photos taken before, during and after the matches of Euro 2008? Both inside and outside the stadium ... if possible.
ingstad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:19 PM   #523
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tour...ts_en_8211.pdf

BTW, Allianz is 6m and 7,5m (main stand is 9m) nad it was a WC 2006 venue

But looking at new projects, many architects used 8,5m and 10m.

Thats one of the reason why i love our Aslantepe more.
Its 6,2 and 8,2m and just 20cm above the pitch
Thanks, can you give me the link to the UEFA aswell?
GNU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:23 PM   #524
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2719

Actually i have never seen a UEFA regulations about Stadiums.
Could be the same like FIFA ones

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #525
GNU
Gnuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.sercan.de View Post
Actually i have never seen a UEFA regulations about Stadiums.
Could be the same like FIFA ones
But that was why I was wondering whether the FIFA and the UEFA impose different rules since the spectators seem to be pretty close to the pitch in some stadiums?
Old June 16th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #526
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2719

As i know the first rows stay empty in some english stadiums.

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #527
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNU View Post
But that was why I was wondering whether the FIFA and the UEFA impose different rules since the spectators seem to be pretty close to the pitch in some stadiums?
Which stadiums in particular are you talking about?
The distance may look close on the TV because of the camera angle but I don't think it is as close as f.e. in some english stadiums where they sit more or less directly behind the advertising boards.

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:33 AM   #528
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Some countries shouldn't host these events until they've reached a certain level of development. Judging by some newspaper articles, Poland/Ukraine 2012 could turn into a disaster. I'm not opposed to those countries (eg South Africa) hosting these kinds of events but they need to do their homework beforehand.
What sort of homework. I dont think being a part of the world by hosting events and addressing the issues of a country are entirely exclusive concepts. I think both can be achieved. South Africa has steadily built up a track record by bidding for world cups, the olympic games, and hosting rugby,cricket world cups and tons of high profile conferences and events. The 2006 and 2010 bids were both highly detailed and satisfied FIFA requirements.

The World Cup in South Africa is extremely significant in terms of the acceleration of the development of infrastructure. Billlions of rands are finally being allocated to projects from transport to communications. Some projects date back to the 70's e.g. Durbans new airport. This would not have happened without the world cup.

At the same time poverty is being addressed with a substantial increase in social grants due to record tax revenues. The issue is rather the underspending of funds rather than a lack of funds to host events and meet the needs of citizens.

Each country has its own challenges and I dont doubt that Poland and Ukraine will overcome these and host a fantastic tournament at the same time. From the list of venues proposed and in planning, it certainly looks to be a success.
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #529
Carrerra

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
What sort of homework. I dont think being a part of the world by hosting events and addressing the issues of a country are entirely exclusive concepts. I think both can be achieved. South Africa has steadily built up a track record by bidding for world cups, the olympic games, and hosting rugby,cricket world cups and tons of high profile conferences and events. The 2006 and 2010 bids were both highly detailed and satisfied FIFA requirements.

The World Cup in South Africa is extremely significant in terms of the acceleration of the development of infrastructure. Billlions of rands are finally being allocated to projects from transport to communications. Some projects date back to the 70's e.g. Durbans new airport. This would not have happened without the world cup.

At the same time poverty is being addressed with a substantial increase in social grants due to record tax revenues. The issue is rather the underspending of funds rather than a lack of funds to host events and meet the needs of citizens.

Each country has its own challenges and I dont doubt that Poland and Ukraine will overcome these and host a fantastic tournament at the same time. From the list of venues proposed and in planning, it certainly looks to be a success.
Carrerra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #530
michał_

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNU View Post
Thanks, can you give me the link to the UEFA aswell?
I've only got our Polish translation right now (can't remember what name it was in English to find- surely was about cup finals), but it clearly says that distances of 6m (sidelines) and 7,5m (endlines) are recommended.
If that is of any help...
michał_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #531
theespecialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post

theespecialone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #532
Carrerra

Pirlo goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forza Italia!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #533
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrerra View Post
Pirlo goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Forza Italia!!!!!!!!!!!
wrong thread.

After seen all stadia in TV, my impression is that the one in Genève is the ugliest. Basel's is a good one.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #534
michał_

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
After seen all stadia in TV, my impression is that the one in Genève is the ugliest. Basel's is a good one.
true. TV impression of St. Jakob Park is by far the best. I'd put Klagenfurt 2nd and have a lot of sympathy for Letzigrund as well...
michał_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #535
ChryZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnsteig4 View Post

ChryZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 04:25 AM   #536
Carrerra

Euro 2008 under guard of Euro Fighter

Old June 18th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #537
theespecialone

amazing photos
theespecialone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #538
GNU
Gnuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpioe View Post
Which stadiums in particular are you talking about?
The distance may look close on the TV because of the camera angle but I don't think it is as close as f.e. in some english stadiums where they sit more or less directly behind the advertising boards.
I dont remember the exact stadium to be honest (Ill have another look on the net) but just generally I had the impression that in some games the fans were quite close to the pitch which caught my attention since I rememberd that they demolished the front rows of the sideline stands in Dortmund before the wc.
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #539
GNU
Gnuru

Quote:
Originally Posted by michał_ View Post
I've only got our Polish translation right now (can't remember what name it was in English to find- surely was about cup finals), but it clearly says that distances of 6m (sidelines) and 7,5m (endlines) are recommended.
If that is of any help...
Well yes thanks. I just would have liked to read through it myself to see whether there are any exemptions or whether different rules are imposed in the CL etc.
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:43 PM   #540
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Imo:

1) Vienna
2) Basel (very nice inside but one facade is very ugly)
3) Klagenfurt

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea   Reply With Quote