daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favorite?
Ernst Happel Stadion, Wien 54 18.56%
Sankt Jakob Park, Basel 81 27.84%
Wörthersee Arena, Klagenfurt 62 21.31%
Tivoli Stadion, Innsbruck 12 4.12%
Stade de Genève, Genève 13 4.47%
Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, Bern 37 12.71%
Stadion Salzburg, Salzburg 9 3.09%
Letzigrund, Zurich 23 7.90%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 7th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #41
Greg

Likes (Received): 59

I agree, that the Stadiums for Euro 2008 are on the smaller side. Both Switzerland and Austria are no football fanatics and therefore super-size arenas would be half empty most of the time.
Other countries should also get the chance to host such an event, otherwise it will be permanentely in the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain or Portugal.
Greg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM   #42
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

The Uk has hardly hosted the event actually, only once
Old February 8th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #43
themongrel

Likes (Received): 0

the only reason austria and switz got this bid is cos of that crooked ****** sepp blatter. shouldn't he actually be in jail for something or other but his possition has kept him out, a bit like jacque chiraque
themongrel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #44
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1158

Blatter has got nothing to do with UEFA, he is actually very impopular among UEFA members.

The Austrians and the Swiss got it because they had the best bid, much better than the joined Irish/Scottish bid.
Quintana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #45
alekjandro

crappy stadiums for the second most important footbal tournament of the world..

this is not fair.
alekjandro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #46
bubomb
BANNED

What's the big deal about the stadiums!! You only spend about 270 minutes of your 2 week trip in stadiums. It's location that counts, and you cannot get better than Austria/Switzerland. Two of the richest most beautiful countries in the world, with Salzburg and Vienna simply out of this world. You will be spending two weeks surrounded by history, culture, the Alps, stunning scenery, lakes and great weather. You simply cannot get a better location. Would you rather spend a fortnight in some shitty industrial rundown city???

The stadiums are fine anyway (apart from Zurich).

Trust me, I travel to Salzburg every year, it's amazing!!
bubomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:17 PM   #47
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkunz/VIE
They fulfill the UEFA's needs, so they will satisfy your needs as well. As I have already stated above, the Stadiums in Innsbruck and Salzburg DO look very small, but they both will become twice as big until 2008 by adding additional 15.000 seats. Wait and see!
Is that for sure. 15000 extra seats for both Innsbruck and Salzburg, making themboth at around 45000?
cphdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:32 PM   #48
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1158

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude
Is that for sure. 15000 extra seats for both Innsbruck and Salzburg, making themboth at around 45000?
What he meant was that the pictures show the stadiums in its current capacities of around 15.000. They will look quite different once they're upgraded to 30.000.
Quintana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:04 AM   #49
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintana
What he meant was that the pictures show the stadiums in its current capacities of around 15.000. They will look quite different once they're upgraded to 30.000.
Oh, okay...that does make more sence when looking at the pics. Thanks for that...
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:15 AM   #50
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubomb
What's the big deal about the stadiums!! You only spend about 270 minutes of your 2 week trip in stadiums. It's location that counts, and you cannot get better than Austria/Switzerland. Two of the richest most beautiful countries in the world, with Salzburg and Vienna simply out of this world. You will be spending two weeks surrounded by history, culture, the Alps, stunning scenery, lakes and great weather. You simply cannot get a better location. Would you rather spend a fortnight in some shitty industrial rundown city???

The stadiums are fine anyway (apart from Zurich).

Trust me, I travel to Salzburg every year, it's amazing!!
If you don't get any tickets due to the stadiums being so small then I'd guess it would become a problem.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 11:42 AM   #51
bubomb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess
If you don't get any tickets due to the stadiums being so small then I'd guess it would become a problem.

Take away Da Luz and the average size of the stadiums would be almost the exact same as Portugal. The stadiums are smaller because football is less popular in these regions, which means your chances of not getting a ticket due to smaller stadiums will be more than compensated by less local interest. I would say it will be easier to get a ticket in Innsbruck than it would be in Lisbon.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 12:48 PM   #52
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Quote:
Take away Da Luz and the average size of the stadiums would be almost the exact same as Portugal. The stadiums are smaller because football is less popular in these regions, which means your chances of not getting a ticket due to smaller stadiums will be more than compensated by less local interest. I would say it will be easier to get a ticket in Innsbruck than it would be in Lisbon.
Well, i agree the stadiums are a bit on the small side, but idd rather take a small stadium that is full, then a big one that is only half full. Besides, i believe portugal spend a small fortune building the stadiums for euro 2004, with out a need for them after the turnement was over.

If Uefa really wants a divesity and not just always have the tournement in the big countries like england, germany, francs etc., they also need to accept smaller venues. Besides, if this can work, i could even see Denmark hosting the Euro cop one day.
Old February 22nd, 2006, 01:03 PM   #53
bubomb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude
Well, i agree the stadiums are a bit on the small side, but idd rather take a small stadium that is full, then a big one that is only half full. Besides, i believe portugal spend a small fortune building the stadiums for euro 2004, with out a need for them after the turnement was over.

If Uefa really wants a divesity and not just always have the tournement in the big countries like england, germany, francs etc., they also need to accept smaller venues. Besides, if this can work, i could even see Denmark hosting the Euro cop one day.
Yes, the more diverse the locations for football tournaments the better. Holding it in Germany, England or Spain all the time is preaching to the converted. If you want to develop and spread the sport, then you have to go to new less traditional locations.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 12:42 PM   #54
cianobuckley

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd
some scottish fans seem to be ignorant of the reasons why the bid failed, even though i would of like to see it in scotland. Firstly CROKE PARK was NOT included in the bid, secondly you CANT have 3 stadiums in one city(Glasgow), Thirdly UEFA prefer in a jointbid for the countries to share out the venues, so four each.
I never said croke park was included in the bid smartass, and also i know that u cant have more than 2 stadiums from one city because i said that "proximity is the only problem". the point i making was that at times uefa has got its priorities all mixed up it has gone for countries with smaller worse quality stadia.Many of which are not even built yet unlike in Scotland and Ireland
cianobuckley no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:06 PM   #55
michal-skoczen

Likes (Received):

Will this stadiums be renovated or rebuilded??? For eg Vienne is maybe OK, but for Euro it should be more modernized.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:17 PM   #56
marcobruls

Likes (Received): 1588

whats with the english stadiums spam?
marcobruls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:19 PM   #57
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Quote:
Yes, the more diverse the locations for football tournaments the better. Holding it in Germany, England or Spain all the time is preaching to the converted. If you want to develop and spread the sport, then you have to go to new less traditional locations.
Yeah, that was kinda the point i was making....
Old February 23rd, 2006, 01:37 PM   #58
bubomb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cianobuckley
I never said croke park was included in the bid smartass, and also i know that u cant have more than 2 stadiums from one city because i said that "proximity is the only problem". the point i making was that at times uefa has got its priorities all mixed up it has gone for countries with smaller worse quality stadia.Many of which are not even built yet unlike in Scotland and Ireland
No, the Austria/Switzerland bid was far better. Definite stadiums, great organisational skills and superb countries to visit with some of the best transport facilities in the world. The Scotland/Ireland bid was all if's and maybe's and was a total mess. It was a complete shambles of a bid and as a result was knocked out at the first round!!

There was zero suitable stadiums in Ireland and no concrete plans at the time to build one!! It was a pathetic attempt at a bid!!
Old February 23rd, 2006, 02:53 PM   #59
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

There was zero suitable stadiums in Ireland and no concrete plans at the time to build one!! It was a pathetic attempt at a bid!!

Agreed. It was a bit of a joke, a good convincing case may have been possible to have been made, but none was. Scotland and Ireland are worthy tourist destinations and both very beautiful, but when it comes to the football infrastructure, it just wasn't there. Likewise a number of the other bids - the Scandinavian one was just crazy, four countries hosting one tournament.
Old February 23rd, 2006, 03:35 PM   #60
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy
Likewise a number of the other bids - the Scandinavian one was just crazy, four countries hosting one tournament.
Now that I can agree with. And i can tell you noone here was really that crazy about the bid, and we thank god everyday that the bid lost. It would have been a nightmare of monumental porportions, and UEFA thankfully saw that...

Idd still like to see Danmark host it one day on its own. It will take some work, though no more then the current 2008 bid has to go through...