daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Your favorite?
Ernst Happel Stadion, Wien 54 18.56%
Sankt Jakob Park, Basel 81 27.84%
Wörthersee Arena, Klagenfurt 62 21.31%
Tivoli Stadion, Innsbruck 12 4.12%
Stade de Genève, Genève 13 4.47%
Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, Bern 37 12.71%
Stadion Salzburg, Salzburg 9 3.09%
Letzigrund, Zurich 23 7.90%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 24th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #61
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubomb
No, the Austria/Switzerland bid was far better. Definite stadiums, great organisational skills and superb countries to visit with some of the best transport facilities in the world. The Scotland/Ireland bid was all if's and maybe's and was a total mess. It was a complete shambles of a bid and as a result was knocked out at the first round!!

There was zero suitable stadiums in Ireland and no concrete plans at the time to build one!! It was a pathetic attempt at a bid!!
I would say Scotland were bidding with an Imaginary JointBid because the Irish weren't upto much.

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:23 AM   #62
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude
Now that I can agree with. And i can tell you noone here was really that crazy about the bid, and we thank god everyday that the bid lost. It would have been a nightmare of monumental porportions, and UEFA thankfully saw that...

Idd still like to see Danmark host it one day on its own. It will take some work, though no more then the current 2008 bid has to go through...
Denmark only has two stadiums to host: Parken and Brondby.
Martuh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:32 AM   #63
easysurfer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd
I would say Scotland were bidding with an Imaginary JointBid because the Irish weren't upto much.
The failure of the bid cannot just be blamed on the irish. Afterall, both countries knew the circumstances they were in before going ahead with a joint bid. They should have organised the bid better with each other and been more co-ordinated. It was probably the wrong time for these two countries to make a joint-bid. They should have waited to bid for a games until they were more or less sure they were going to win.
easysurfer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #64
Albaniangigi
BANNED

jacob park looks nice from the outside
Albaniangigi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #65
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Take away Da Luz and the average size of the stadiums would be almost the exact same as Portugal. The stadiums are smaller because football is less popular in these regions, which means your chances of not getting a ticket due to smaller stadiums will be more than compensated by less local interest. I would say it will be easier to get a ticket in Innsbruck than it would be in Lisbon.
The population of both hosts combined is almost double portugals plus they'll have alot more disposable income to spend so I doubt it will be as easy to pickup tickets(I got everything I went for offically in 2004). Also while Da Luz is only one stadium it hosted 5 games so its impact on the number of tickets available was significant.

Quote:
Yes, the more diverse the locations for football tournaments the better. Holding it in Germany, England or Spain all the time is preaching to the converted. If you want to develop and spread the sport, then you have to go to new less traditional locations.
If this bid was the best organised(rather than the one with the best political backing in UEFA) then fair play to them but I think that using the european championships and world cup as mere footballing PR exersizes diminishes their importance. I don't think you can underestimate the positive effect they can have in a large established nation either, getting people back into the game and building on existsing support is afterall easier than trying to bring in totally new fans.

Last edited by MoreOrLess; February 24th, 2006 at 01:57 AM.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #66
Iain1974

Quote:
Yes, the more diverse the locations for football tournaments the better. Holding it in Germany, England or Spain all the time is preaching to the converted. If you want to develop and spread the sport, then you have to go to new less traditional locations.
Personally I'll be very dissapointed if Euro2012 or at the very least 2016 doesn't go east.
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #67
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martuh
Denmark only has two stadiums to host: Parken and Brondby.
at the moment yeah, but there are other that could be opgraded and renovated. An one or perhaps two new build, then we are there. I didnt say it was easy, but it wont be impossible...And not when you look at the work they are doing for the euro 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1974
Personally I'll be very dissapointed if Euro2012 or at the very least 2016 doesn't go east.
how far east?
cphdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #68
bubomb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer
The failure of the bid cannot just be blamed on the irish. Afterall, both countries knew the circumstances they were in before going ahead with a joint bid. They should have organised the bid better with each other and been more co-ordinated. It was probably the wrong time for these two countries to make a joint-bid. They should have waited to bid for a games until they were more or less sure they were going to win.
Yes it can, the Irish were useless!!
bubomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 05:39 PM   #69
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcobruls
whats with the english stadiums spam?
on reflection i agree and i've deleted that post - it was disrespectful to the purpose of the thread.
Noostairz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 05:40 PM   #70
bubomb
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess
The population of both hosts combined is almost double portugals plus they'll have alot more disposable income to spend so I doubt it will be as easy to pickup tickets(I got everything I went for offically in 2004). Also while Da Luz is only one stadium it hosted 5 games so its impact on the number of tickets available was significant.

If this bid was the best organised(rather than the one with the best political backing in UEFA) then fair play to them but I think that using the european championships and world cup as mere footballing PR exersizes diminishes their importance. I don't think you can underestimate the positive effect they can have in a large established nation either, getting people back into the game and building on existsing support is afterall easier than trying to bring in totally new fans.
I cannot think of a better location than Austria/Switzerland. I would much rather visit these 2 countries than some crappy industrial city. History, culture, wealth, the Alps, stunning lakes, sophisticated people....that's why I visit Salzburg every year!! Not a chav or ned in sight!

Even if I don't get a ticket, I won't be that bothered as I will be so busy enjoying what these countries have to offer.
bubomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2006, 01:29 AM   #71
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Out of all the bids AUstria Switzerland was the right choice. If they had a rival bid challenging them then may be i wouldn't have the same view but they were the best of the bunch.
Old February 25th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #72
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

I agree - the other bids seemed to be terrible.
Old February 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #73
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Which other bids? I know Switzerland-Austria, Scotland-Ireland, but what more? Poland-Ukraine? Italy? Croatia?
Martuh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:25 PM   #74
Basel_CH

Likes (Received): 40

Then enlargement of the St. Jakob Park from 30`000 to 40`000 seats is under
construction. The facade is similar like the one from the Allianz Arena in Munich.

http://www.st-jakob-park-plus.ch/
Basel_CH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #75
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness

Likes (Received): 376

Basel isnt a great place to spend time but the stadium looks cool. I do think the stadiums are maybe too small, a bigger one in Zurich and maybe capacity improvements in Vienna mightve helped.

Perhaps another idea is to assign grounds to teams after the draw so the big games involving teams with fans who travel (like England, Holland etc) can go the bigger stadiums.

Still Im sure it will be a well organised tournament and a success,
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #76
Enzo911
Por Astérix

I would go to Austria-Switzerland in 2008. I really love Basel stadium
Enzo911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #77
Seth Gecko
Everybody be cool

Likes (Received): 1

These are all rubbish.
Seth Gecko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #78
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

They are all crap.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #79
Seth Gecko
Everybody be cool

Likes (Received): 1

They are all piss poor. A joint bid comprising 8 shyte stadiums!

Ireland you let us down.

Last edited by Seth Gecko; July 28th, 2006 at 09:30 AM.
Seth Gecko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #80
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Since they are increasing the capacity for alot of the stadiums, wouldnt they end up being white elephants?