daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2015, 10:56 AM   #241
Maksima

Likes (Received): 126

Construction yesterday LCC Depot

Apr-6-15 LCC Depot (1) by akiosan7, on Flickr

Apr-6-15 LCC Depot (2) by akiosan7, on Flickr

Apr-6-15 LCC Depot (3) by akiosan7, on Flickr

---------------------------------------
Yesterday H1 Bridge

Apr-6-15 H1 Bridge (1) by akiosan7, on Flickr

Apr-6-15 H1 Bridge (2) by akiosan7, on Flickr
The last month and a half HECO was taking down several power lines that were too low to allow the bridge passage

Apr-6-15 H1 Bridge (3) by akiosan7, on Flickr
Future site of the Pearl Highlands station

Nexis, dimlys1994, geometarkv, desertpunk liked this post
Maksima no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #242
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

Tom Berg has been actively promoting MAGLEV as an alternative to the boondoggle rail system being built in Honolulu. With only a portion of the guideway built already, it is not too late to switch technologies to urban maglev. The current system being built today has the lowest construction costs and the HIGHEST OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE COSTS of all the bidders. This financial burden will continue with no end in sight.

One of the many benefits of urban maglev is very low ongoing operation and maintenance costs. With no physical contact between the rail and vehicle, wear and tear is significantly reduced. Also, virtually silent operation without the screeching that light rail has.

What are your thoughts?

Luke

FM 2258 liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #243
Maksima

HONOLULU | Public Transport

Personally I think that Maglev technology does have potential and would like research into the tech be more wide spread, but I'm also not against what was entirely chosen in the end. There hasn't been a whole lot of maglev systems that are rapid transit systems in an urban environment and are not high speed systems.

Also, I posted an article a few pages back about possibility of HART changing the technology of the system, there's no real chance for them to change as it might mean having to repay the grant money to the federal government.

Last edited by Maksima; April 8th, 2015 at 09:41 PM.
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #244
Maksima

Construction between the UH and Waipahu stations along Farrington Hwy
Taken on March 23, 2015

20150313_152510 by miniviews, on Flickr

20150313_152518 by miniviews, on Flickr

20150313_152524 by miniviews, on Flickr

20150313_152530 by miniviews, on Flickr

20150313_152538 by miniviews, on Flickr

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old April 9th, 2015, 02:31 AM   #245
Maksima

Quote:
Senators Give Honolulu Rail ‘A Great Deal of Opportunity’

A Hawaii Senate committee passes a bill to extend the GET rail surcharge another five years, but makes clear the money should only be used to build the rail line.

APRIL 7, 2015
By NICK GRUBE

The Senate Ways and Means Committee on Tuesday voted to extend a 0.5 percent General Excise Tax surcharge for Honolulu’s rail project another five years beyond its Dec. 31, 2022, expiration.

The vote on House Bill 134 indicates that lawmakers are supportive of helping the city complete its $6 billion driverless commuter rail project despite cost overruns and questions of lax oversight.

But by limiting the extension to five years with additional caveats, the senators also showed that they don’t want to write a blank check to the city and the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation without more assurances about how those taxpayer dollars are being spent.

Copyright 2015 Civil Beat. All rights reserved.
Read full article here: http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/04/sen...f-opportunity/
Old April 11th, 2015, 03:14 AM   #246
Maksima

Quote:
Caldwell: Honolulu Rail Tax Is Not ‘Chump Change’
Watch Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell argue with state Sen. Sam Slom over his word choices during a recent legislative hearing on a possible extension of the rail tax.

APRIL 10, 2015
By NICK GRUBE

Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell had a heated exchanged with state Sen. Sam Slom this week over a controversial measure to extend a 0.5 percent General Excise Tax surcharge for the city’s cash-strapped rail system.

See full article here: http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/04/cal...-chump-change/
Old April 11th, 2015, 03:16 AM   #247
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

I wonder why haven't they included the Waikiki branch on the initial plan, since it would draw a lot of tourists and business visitors coming from/to Honolulu Intl. Airprot.

lkstrknb liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2015, 04:36 AM   #248
Maksima

I don't really know for sure, but it seems to be mostly because of budget reasons and now political reasons since some officials just want the projects construction to be done and over with. The 5-year tax extension could be a show of this as the city council just wants HART to complete the stretch from Aloha stadium to Ala Moana and, from what I read, whatever is left over (I doubt) would be used for any of the extensions to Waikiki or UH Manoa.

I think a Waikiki stretch would make sense, but the approach to actually building it was always an issue with me. Waikiki is one of several dense areas with condos and hotels packed on a small stench of land between the Ala Wai Canal and the Pacific Ocean, so I always questioned how they were going to do it. There are only three main roads that stretch the Waikiki strip from west to east, which are Kalakaua Ave., Kuhio Ave., and Ala Wai Blvd.

Kuhio Ave. and Ala Wai Blvd. are the ones that would be mostly considered since Kalakaua Ave. continues on along the Waikiki Beach front. Kuhio is very narrow avenue with a lot of trees along the entire stretch and no median, but runs in the center of the Waikiki strip. This stretch sees a fair bit of traffic since most people use it to go westward, since Kalakaua is a one way avenue. Ala Wai runs, as it says, along the Ala Wai canal lined with mostly condos and apartments, is good walk away from several of the major hotels if your carrying luggage and it also doesn't have a median. In both cases. I can only think of them having to build columns on either side of the road and have a concrete support span the road.

I would much rather have a UH Manoa branch, but at this point, I don't think either option is going to happen anytime soon. With the project now hitting some very heavy road blocks many just want it to die a miserable death, like the superferry.

(Sorry for the long reply, I just have a lot on my mind about the infrastructure and operations of the project)

Suburbanist liked this post

Last edited by Maksima; April 11th, 2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:19 PM   #249
Maksima

If some of you folks want a month by month progress, HART has been publishing monthly reports since 2011.
They are found here: http://www.honolulutransit.org/hart/...y-reports.aspx

Each monthly report is a long read, but do cover certain points such as general news, each sections progress, contract budgets and provide photos of some of the progress. Images seem to have a hard time loading on google chrome, so you might have to download the pdf or view it in another browser.
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:36 PM   #250
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

Are there long-term projects to extend Honolulu Rail to Schofield army base in the North and Hawaii Kai in the south?
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:55 PM   #251
Maksima

Not that I know of. Currently anything between Schofield/Wahiawa to Pearl City might be served by bus routes, since the mayor has stated that the rail system is suppose to complement with the buses. And the design of the Pearl Highland station is, I think, suppose to be a major transfer point for any buses coming in from the north.

About the Hawaii Kai area... I just don't really see it ever making it that far and I never heard of any plans ever that wanted to extend it that far.
Old April 11th, 2015, 12:59 PM   #252
Maksima

More photos taken by miniviews, who has been actively photographing the progress.

April 3, 2015

20150403_145343 by miniviews, on Flickr
Guideway span 67 repairs completed and installed on piers.

20150403_145602 by miniviews, on Flickr
Guideway spans adjacent to Old Farrington Hwy. Waianae bound motorist lanes are closed until end of April 2015.

20150403_145612 by miniviews, on Flickr
Honolulu bound guideway span construction near Old Farrington Hwy

20150403_145717 by miniviews, on Flickr
Column construction in Waipahu

20150403_145846 by miniviews, on Flickr

20150403_150459 by miniviews, on Flickr

20150403_150535 by miniviews, on Flickr
Column construction in Waipahu.

Photo descriptions are by miniview

dimlys1994, Nexis liked this post
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:58 AM   #253
Maksima

Quote:
Tom Yamachika: Rail Decision Looms — Hold Onto Your Wallets
City strategy on extending the general excise tax surcharge for the rail project can be summed up as, "May we please have an extension forever?"

APRIL 12, 2015
By TOM YAMACHIKA

Now that we are getting into the final stages of our legislative session, we are getting closer to a resolution on two bills that are seeking to extend the life of the 0.5 percent Oahu county surcharge on our general excise tax.

Let’s start with the scope of the project. The problem that caused Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell and Dan Grabauskas, CEO of Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART), to go to the Capitol in the first place was that HART had just started opening bids for construction of the rail stations and the numbers came in lots higher than expected. At that pace, they concluded, they might not even be able to award all of the contracts because the dollars have to be available before contracts can be awarded, and with the surcharge set to expire at the end of 2022, the pool of money is limited.

Read full article here: http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/04/tom...-your-wallets/
Old April 13th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #254
Maksima

This year, HART held its third industry day event on March 23rd. Panels and workshops were held by various people that had contributed to the project and had invited both contractors and subcontractors to the event to try and encourage competition.

A PDF file was created that showed the promotional content created for the event and one of the interesting portions were renderings of various stations that have yet to be rewarded with contracts.

miniviews had cropped out all the stations that, until recently, didn't have any type of visualizations.
And here is the document on HART's website : http://www.honolulutransit.org/media...-day-event.pdf

0150323-hart-industry-day-event (1) by miniviews, on Flickr

0150323-hart-industry-day-event (2) by miniviews, on Flickr

0150323-hart-industry-day-event (3) by miniviews, on Flickr

0150323-hart-industry-day-event (4) by miniviews, on Flickr

0150323-hart-industry-day-event (5) by miniviews, on Flickr

0150323-hart-industry-day-event (6) by miniviews, on Flickr

0150323-hart-industry-day-event (7) by miniviews, on Flickr

0150323-hart-industry-day-event (8) by miniviews, on Flickr

0150323-hart-industry-day-event (9) by miniviews, on Flickr

0150323-hart-industry-day-event (10) by miniviews, on Flickr

0150323-hart-industry-day-event (11) by miniviews, on Flickr

0150323-hart-industry-day-event (12) by miniviews, on Flickr

dimlys1994, Bori427 liked this post

Last edited by Maksima; April 13th, 2015 at 03:17 AM. Reason: mistakes
Old April 13th, 2015, 05:17 AM   #255
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

is the system using a third rail, or pantograph?

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 07:07 AM   #256
Maksima

Third rail, it's mentioned here: http://www.honolulutransit.org/rail-...d-figures.aspx
Old April 13th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #257
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

I don't mean to stir things up, but isn't third rail systems noisier than catenary systems. Maybe I'm equating third rail to NYC subway and Chicago El, both very noisy trains in my opinion.
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 07:45 AM   #258
Maksima

A perfectly valid question and its good to stir up subjects, just as long as it doesn't turn into shouting matches.

Most people here in Hawaii also relate in that they associate whats being built here as being similar to New York and Chicago examples. There are a lot of other rapid transit systems that use third rail, but they're not as recognizable in other parts of the world, such as, London's Docklands Light Railway, Copenhagen's Metro, or Vancouver's Skytrain, which I think are more comparable to what HART's building.
In my opinion, I think these systems have lower noise levels compared to New York or Chicago's systems, but that's a bit subjective.

Last edited by Maksima; April 13th, 2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:29 AM   #259
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrknb View Post
I don't mean to stir things up, but isn't third rail systems noisier than catenary systems.
Why would it be?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 12:51 PM   #260
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Both NY and Chicago run on old Steel on Steel systems which are very noisy. The Newer concrete ELs are quieter...slightly louder then a Bus.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hart, honolulu, transporation