daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2015, 06:03 PM   #321
swimmer_spe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Yikes , its like a never ending Negative Train..

Some people are so stuck in their car that they cannot see the value of this.

I think the plan is great. It is about time that Honolulu gets with the times.Hopefully, next time I visit, it will be built and be a great way to get around.
swimmer_spe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:42 PM   #322
Maksima

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Would a Hong Kong-Macau type ferry not work for Hawaii?
Depends on a lot of things, but I would think they could work here too. I chose cruise ferries more for the tourist factor.
Maksima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 07:46 PM   #323
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Some people are so stuck in their car that they cannot see the value of this.

I think the plan is great. It is about time that Honolulu gets with the times.Hopefully, next time I visit, it will be built and be a great way to get around.
But its an Island , you would think they would realize that there is only so much road and highway you can build.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:13 PM   #324
floor23

Likes (Received): 434

The problem with Oahu and Hawaii in general is that there isn't much going on out here that is news worthy. A project of this scale is going to be covered by the press non stop. The local media always makes stories a lot bigger than they are.

There are a lot of people out here that are for this project but since its being built they aren't being vocal about it. On the other hand the people that are against it are going to make as much noise as possible.

To me this project is much like the building of BART in the bay area. People in SF were very against BART being built in the beginning and many claimed they didn't need it. After it was completed they fell in love with it and now they act like they invented the concept of public transit . Oahu will be the same way, once its completed people will love it and want it to expand. It seems our leaders in both the state and county realize this thus they are willing to extend the tax surcharge despite all the negative publicity that comes with it.
floor23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:18 PM   #325
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
But its an Island , you would think they would realize that there is only so much road and highway you can build.
Then again, people likely see this as further enabling population growth, which I think is the real reason they're against it and why a lot of the discussion revolves around leaving land untouched/undeveloped. They're certainly aware of the kind of development that will occur alongside this project.

Obviously, this will be better in the long run than the status quo, or trying to expand road capacity, but people are generally self-interested.

From what I know about the place, many people simply don't want anyone else to move there...doesn't make sense, but it's a common sentiment around the country.
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:56 PM   #326
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Then again, people likely see this as further enabling population growth, which I think is the real reason they're against it and why a lot of the discussion revolves around leaving land untouched/undeveloped. They're certainly aware of the kind of development that will occur alongside this project.

Obviously, this will be better in the long run than the status quo, or trying to expand road capacity, but people are generally self-interested.

From what I know about the place, many people simply don't want anyone else to move there...doesn't make sense, but it's a common sentiment around the country.
But that area is densely developed already. It is better to have a metro rail line and development along it than develop all small valleys upward, isn't it?
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:59 PM   #327
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
But that area is densely developed already. It is better to have a metro rail line and development along it than develop all small valleys upward, isn't it?
Of course.

What I'm getting at, is that a lot of people see these kinds of large transportation projects as being the cause of housing issues and other things that result from high population growth, not solutions to those problems.

This phenomenon is similar to people in places like SF who equate high rises with causing steep increases in the cost of housing and so fight it tooth-and-nail, even though most recognize that the real problem is an actual under supply...

Obviously, a lot of people (like most here, I would guess) understand that that's not really the case, but they're not the ones who fight/scream the loudest.
Old May 4th, 2015, 01:30 AM   #328
swimmer_spe

Quote:
Common sense is not allowed when arguing with people.

Quote:
I always find it funny when people who come from immigrants or people who are immigrants do not want people to immigrate to where they are.

So, unless you are descendants of the original people of Hawaii, before it became part of the USA, you are an immigrant.

Quote:
Of course.

What I'm getting at, is that a lot of people see these kinds of large transportation projects as being the cause of housing issues and other things that result from high population growth, not solutions to those problems.

This phenomenon is similar to people in places like SF who equate high rises with causing steep increases in the cost of housing and so fight it tooth-and-nail, even though most recognize that the real problem is an actual under supply...

Obviously, a lot of people (like most here, I would guess) understand that that's not really the case, but they're not the ones who fight/scream the loudest.
Economical housing shortages are everywhere. They are less prevelent the further north you go, where you freeze to death with no housing.
Old May 4th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #329
phoenixboi08

Quote:
Common sense is not allowed when arguing with people.

I always find it funny when people who come from immigrants or people who are immigrants do not want people to immigrate to where they are.

So, unless you are descendants of the original people of Hawaii, before it became part of the USA, you are an immigrant.

Economical housing shortages are everywhere. They are less prevelent the further north you go, where you freeze to death with no housing.
You're preaching to the choir.
I'm just sharing some limited knowledge about what makes those people tick...
Old May 5th, 2015, 02:25 AM   #330
Maksima

I was wondering how systems like Vancouver skytrain fair at street level? And how efficient are the Ansaldo Breda driverless systems, especially in Copenhagen.
Old May 5th, 2015, 02:57 AM   #331
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksima View Post
I was wondering how systems like Vancouver skytrain fair at street level? And how efficient are the Ansaldo Breda driverless systems, especially in Copenhagen.
I don't believe the sky train runs at street level. However, I've only ridden the original Expo Line, not ay of the new ones.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:00 AM   #332
swimmer_spe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
I don't believe the sky train runs at street level. However, I've only ridden the original Expo Line, not ay of the new ones.
The Sjytrain is either above the ground or below the ground in tunnels.
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:01 AM   #333
Maksima

Sorry I meant how is the environment under the skytrain spans. That's kind of what I meant at street level.
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:04 AM   #334
swimmer_spe

Quote:
Sorry I meant how is the environment under the skytrain spans. That's kind of what I meant at street level.
They have either made them parks or parking lots. Some spots, it runs the median of the roadway.
Old May 5th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #335
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Honolulu did it right with automated trains. It allows frequent service even off-peak, as labor costs are much lower, without a large group of operators to balance on contracts, schedules etc.

It is a pity, though, that Honolulu decided to make it into permanently 4-car sets, instead of working on the original flexible plan to have 2-car trains that could be joined to form 4-car sets.

This means the headway will be 4m15sec instead of the 2min8sec originally planned (the idea was to buy more trains as demand increased and then join them into 4-car units, right).

Still, a 4min headway will instantly put Honolulu rail as one of the services offering the most frequent services in the country,.

DingeZ liked this post

Last edited by Suburbanist; May 5th, 2015 at 03:15 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #336
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4190

95% of Voters Oppose Honolulu Rail Project

Quote:
I just finished a survey of a large group of concerned Honolulu Voters at a bar and they almost all oppose the project. The survey was completely impartial, performed as a series of multiple choice questions on paper. It did seem like there were a lot of yellow flags with snakes on them displayed in the bar, and there was a large collection of motorcycles outside decorated with similar flags or flags with an odd red, white, and blue "X" design...
I depends of who you ask.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:32 AM   #337
Maksima

Quote:
Council Chair: No ‘Easy Sell’ for Honolulu Rail Tax
Honolulu City Council Chairman Ernie Martin says better project oversight and more transparency will be needed if city is to approve a GET extension.

MAY 5, 2015
By NICK GRUBE

Don’t be fooled by Tuesday’s vote at the State Capitol on an extension of Honolulu’s rail tax. The issue is a long way from being settled.

Before the tax can be implemented it must get past Gov. David Ige’s veto pen and then be approved by the Honolulu City Council.

It’s the latter that might prove most difficult.

City Council Chairman Ernie Martin says he and his colleagues still have a lot of concerns about the lack of accountability and financial transparency surrounding the $6 billion project. Mayor Kirk Caldwell should not expect a rubber stamp of legislative approval.

“It would be disingenuous for the mayor to think the council will be an easy sell,” Martin told Civil Beat in a phone interview Monday. “I think it will be just as difficult, if not more difficult, than the process he encountered at the Legislature.”

Copyright 2015 Civil Beat. All rights reserved.
Read article here:http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/05/cou...lulu-rail-tax/
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:33 AM   #338
Maksima

Quote:
Why So Little Information About City Meeting With Feds About Rail?
Who knows what happened when Honolulu City Council members met with Federal Transit Administration officials? Not the taxpayers.
MAY 5, 2015
By NATALIE IWASA

“Investigate” and “investigation.”

“Resulting findings and recommendations.”

“Shall present a written report to the Council of its findings and recommendations …”

Those are some of the words from Honolulu City Council Resolution 15-19, CD1. The resolution established a “permitted interaction group” of the council to meet with officials from the Federal Transit Administration, Hawaii’s congressional delegation and others to discuss recent cost overruns and other issues related to the rail project.

On Feb. 24, Council Chair Martin and council members Brandon Elefante, Joey Manahan and Trevor Ozawa met with the FTA. On March 24, they released their three-page report on their one-hour meeting. It leaves much to be desired.

Copyright 2015 Civil Beat. All rights reserved.
Read article here:http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/05/why...ds-about-rail/
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:54 AM   #339
swimmer_spe

Quote:

Maksima, Do you or have you ever taken The Bus?
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:58 AM   #340
Maksima

Quote:
Maksima, Do you or have you ever taken The Bus?
I use it almost everyday, why do you ask?

Tags
hart, honolulu, transporation