daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2015, 05:18 AM   #341
swimmer_spe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksima View Post
I use it almost everyday, why do you ask?
Well, it sounds like you like the status quo. As someone who has used it, as well as transit systems throughout the States, A city that size NEEDS this.

All you post is the negative.
swimmer_spe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:25 AM   #342
Maksima

Likes (Received): 126

Is it because of the CivilBeat articles, I can stop posting those if that's what your saying about the negative stuff I post. There's also very little articles that are positive about the entirety of the rail project, even the Star-Advertiser, though its more neutral most times.
Maksima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:37 AM   #343
swimmer_spe

Quote:
Is it because of the CivilBeat articles, I can stop posting those if that's what your saying about the negative stuff I post. There's also very little articles that are positive about the entirety of the rail project, even the Star-Advertiser, though its more neutral most times.
Fair enough. I guess most media outlets cannot see the good this will bring to the area.

You can post what you want. I just did not understand why there seemed to be only negative posts. Makes sense now.

It will be great to visit again and use the system.
Old May 6th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #344
Maksima

Glad we cleared that up, at this point everyone has been very critical about the finances recently and HART is still not out of the clear in getting those GET extensions yet.
Old May 6th, 2015, 03:38 PM   #345
Maksima

Quote:
Rail tax increase heads to Ige's desk

UPDATED 8:12 PM HST May 05, 2015
By Andrew Pereira

HONOLULU —State lawmakers in the House and Senate approved a five-year extension of Oahu’s rail tax Tuesday and sent the controversial bill (HB134 HD1 SD2 CD1) to Gov. David Ige’s desk. The governor must now decide whether he’ll sign the bill into law, allow it to become law without his signature, or veto it.

Nearly 80 percent of Capitol lawmakers voted to extend Oahu’s half-percent rail tax until the end of 2027. There were just four "no" votes in the Senate, and 12 "no" votes in the House. Even a majority of House Republicans supported the increase, including Rep. Bob McDermott, who many colleagues consider a fiscal hawk.

Copyright 2015 KITV4. All rights reserved.
Read article here:http://www.kitv.com/news/Rail-tax-in...-desk/32832632

Quote:
Lawmakers pass bill to extend rail tax for 5 years

By Marcel Honoré
POSTED: 03:58 p.m. HST, May 05, 2015
LAST UPDATED: 07:02 p.m. HST, May 05, 2015

The Hawaii state Legislature has approved a five-year extension of Oahu’s rail tax surcharge, sending a bill to Gov. David Ige that aims to complete the largest public works project in the state’s history.

House Bill 134 would generate some $1.8 billion in additional rail funding from Oahu’s 0.5 percent general excise tax surcharge by allowing it to expire in 2027 instead of 2022. Transit leaders say that’s more than enough for the project to climb out of a budget hole that could be as deep as $910 million — plus it would provide a large contingency to address any problems in the future.

Copyright 2015 Star Advertiser. All rights reserved.
Read article here: http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/b...l?id=302692911

Quote:
Honolulu Rail Tax Extension Clears the Legislature
A plan to address a nearly $1 billion shortfall in the state's biggest public works project goes next to the desk of Gov. David Ige.

MAY 5, 2015
By NICK GRUBE AND ANITA HOFSCHNEIDER

The Hawaii Legislature approved a bill that would allow the Honolulu City Council to extend the general excise tax surcharge to fund the city’s rail project which faces a nearly $1 billion shortfall.

House Bill 134 would also allow other counties to levy a half-percent GET surcharge, and gives the state “air rights” above the rail line and its stations.

Despite tough public hearings throughout the session in which lawmakers grilled Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell and top transit officials, the measure passed both chambers with strong majorities on Tuesday. The Senate vote was 21-4, and the House vote was 39-12.

House Finance Committee Chairwoman Sylvia Luke voted in favor of the tax, even though she voted against it in 2005.

“I don’t like to make Kirk Caldwell happy,” she said on the House floor to a round of laughter. But Luke said she changed her mind about the bill because not passing the extension “would have significant financial implications that neither the state nor the county could afford.”

Copyright 2015 Civil Beat. All rights reserved.
Read article here:http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/05/hon...e-legislature/
Old May 6th, 2015, 11:29 PM   #346
floor23

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Fair enough. I guess most media outlets cannot see the good this will bring to the area.
KITV, KHON2, HNN(Hawaii News Now), and Star Advertiser have been pretty neutral in regards to this project.

HNN has probably posted the most positive stories about the rail project from what I remember reading.

Civil Beat on the other hand has its own political agenda and are pretty much anti-everything. Civi Beat isn't even owned by locals. The guy who started it was an ex-google executive from bay area if I recall correctly. The only time I've seen Civil Beat post anything positive was when it was about marijuana or stronger environmental laws. I wouldn't even consider them a legitimate news source as they have made up stories to fit their own agenda.
floor23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #347
Maksima

I'll try to limit the civil beat articles, I know they post practically nothing positive.
I do support the project, there has to be another way to get around Oahu besides cars and buses, but I still have reservations about how HART is handling this at every level.
Old May 7th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #348
swimmer_spe

Quote:
I'll try to limit the civil beat articles, I know they post practically nothing positive.
I do support the project, there has to be another way to get around Oahu besides cars and buses, but I still have reservations about how HART is handling this at every level.
Instead of limiting it, why not do an equal amount from all media outlets. Post one from each. Then we get a non biased view.

I am looking forward to one day visiting and being able to take a train around the island. I figure that will be when I am much, much older.
Old May 7th, 2015, 01:48 AM   #349
floor23

Quote:
I don't think you should limit them at all. I just believe it would be best for people who are following this project on the forum that aren't residing in Hawaii to know where Civil Beat stands.
Old May 8th, 2015, 05:51 AM   #350
Maksima

With Ho'opili development approved the station will actually be built:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post123821053
Old May 8th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #351
floor23

These are exciting times for Honolulu. It's a shame Frank Fasi isn't alive to see this all come to fruition.
Old May 13th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #352
Maksima

UGH, more of civilbeat on the financials...
Quote:
Inside the Rail Checkbook: More than $1 Billion Spent But Few Details To Go Along With It
A lack of information about how the city has spent more than $1.4 billion in public money is prompting concerns by the governor and city council members.
MAY 13, 2015
By NICK GRUBE AND BOB PORTERFIELD

Editor’s Note: Civil Beat has spent months examining financial records relating to the Honolulu rail project. “Off Track” is an ongoing series that explores what’s happening to the taxpayer money that is going into the biggest public works project in Hawaii history.

Taxpayers wanting an idea of what they’ll be riding in when Honolulu’s commuter rail system finally gets up and running can visit Kapolei Hale to examine an actual replica of the railcars city officials hope will be zipping across Oahu by the end of the decade.

They won’t be able to get inside the car, however, as it’s cordoned off by orange and white construction barriers and a polite sign telling visitors to please not sit on the train. Instead, the shell sits in the cavernous open-air foyer of the municipal building collecting dust and occasional bird droppings.

When it comes to spending billions of tax dollars to build a railroad, molding favorable public perceptions is important — and expensive. the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation paid $63,714 just to have the model shipped from Italy and a few dollars more to decorate it with twinkling lights at Christmas.

But the cost of giving the public a peek at the new railcars is pocket change alongside the millions being spent by HART and its prime contractors on public relations, lawyers, lobbying and scores of consultants adding their two bits on how the project should be managed, designed and built.

Copyright 2015 Civil Beat. All rights reserved.
Read article here: http://www.civilbeat.com/2015/05/ins...along-with-it/

------------------------
One of the things that erks me the most is that every news agency has called it an actual mock-up or a 'replica' as civilbeat puts it, but in reality its just a promotional display and that's it. It doesn't even have an interior setup. And if you were to actually stand by it the dimensions of the car don't look right. And its not reflective of what the final product will actually look like.

This also makes me a bit upset that HART didn't take the time to go for an actual prototypical mock-up with an actual interior. But then again, most mock-ups are really just another way for promoting and advertising so...

Sorry, okay rant over...
Old May 14th, 2015, 01:40 AM   #353
Nexarc
Shipper on Deck

Likes (Received): 6

I'd say it pretty much has to due with the fact that most news agencies are not industry-specific journalists and have broad audiences so may not always be accurate in many details (CB's generally negative stance as pointed out earlier does not help the matter). Complicated further by many people not having the time nor willingness to do research themselves.

I personally think this is the reason for many of the opposing viewpoints from what I have gathered on various other forums around the net. Ignoring the usual exaggerated statements in any polarizing project, there are people who honestly believe that the line is a single track shuttle that runs between Kapolei and Ala Moana with no intermediate stops...
Nexarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2015, 04:29 AM   #354
floor23

The 5 year extension of the 1/2% GET is a done deal now. The future of rail seemed uncertain for the past few months but once the legislature passed HB 134 it showed the state leaders support the project. Despite all the tough talk from Ige and the city council, I highly doubt they are going to veto this extension considering its made it this far. Just remember these guys are all part of the same political party and I just couldn't imagine the democrats putting this much effort into a project only to yank the cord at the end.
Old May 14th, 2015, 05:17 AM   #355
floor23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexarc View Post
I'd say it pretty much has to due with the fact that most news agencies are not industry-specific journalists and have broad audiences so may not always be accurate in many details (CB's generally negative stance as pointed out earlier does not help the matter). Complicated further by many people not having the time nor willingness to do research themselves.

I personally think this is the reason for many of the opposing viewpoints from what I have gathered on various other forums around the net. Ignoring the usual exaggerated statements in any polarizing project, there are people who honestly believe that the line is a single track shuttle that runs between Kapolei and Ala Moana with no intermediate stops...
The one thing that goes in rail's favor politically is that many of these anti-rail people don't vote. The proof is in the 2008 ballot initiative and the last few elections. The last honolulu mayoral election was all about rail and the pro rail candidate won. The people who can't spend time doing research to learn about this project are the same people who aren't going to spend time voting.
Old May 15th, 2015, 05:10 AM   #356
swimmer_spe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vothisau View Post
Follow me. The first phase is pretty lame though. I hope they are building the later phases before the first one even finishes, because when the segment from kapolei to aloha stadium opens and has terrible ridership it's going to have to be explained to the politicos and anti-rail cretins.
Is there a real risk that the rest of the planned phases will get cancelled?
Old May 15th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #357
Nexarc
Shipper on Deck

Likes (Received): 6

I doubt they would let it get that far if they ultimately cancel the project. Due to the lawsuit delay that HART decided on consolidating the project into two openings roughly one year apart in 2018 and 2019. They would have to prevent or cancel the contracts of construction phases 3 & 4 within the next year otherwise by the time the first opening occurs the final half would be significantly built and getting ready for testing and outfitting.

It would be highly unlikely that they would cancel the later phases so late in the game. At that point it would pretty much be political and/or financial suicide for all but the most staunch opponents.
Nexarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2015, 10:54 AM   #358
floor23

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Is there a real risk that the rest of the planned phases will get cancelled?
If they were gonna cancel this project the GET tax extension wouldn't have made it through the legislature. Also the FFGA requires the city to build the line to UH Manoa. If they were to build only half the line they would be required to pay back all federal funding. The media can say what they want but Hawaii is committed to this project whether the people like it or not.
Old May 15th, 2015, 08:00 PM   #359
miniviews

Likes (Received): 32

Regarding interim phase (East Kapolei to Aloha Stadium), I'm unsure if there's ridership estimates available. Based on my various references (no time to find), interim opening has reduced frequency (15 minutes) and hours (6am). This is important to me since I'm planning to use this line immediately.

Balanced cantilever guideway at H1/H2 interstate freeway split:

balanced cantilever work-pier definition and cast segments by miniviews, on Flickr

20150514_151601 by miniviews, on Flickr

20150513181919 by miniviews, on Flickr

dimlys1994, Nexis, will101 liked this post

Last edited by miniviews; May 15th, 2015 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Larger size for flickr images
miniviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 05:20 AM   #360
Maksima

Quote:
HART: H1 rail overpass should connect in July

Posted: May 19, 2015 6:36 PM HST
Updated: May 19, 2015 6:48 PM HST
By Mileka Lincoln

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - HART officials say the most dramatic and intensive portion of the first ten miles of their $5.2 billion dollar rail project -- the balanced cantilever overpass -- should connect over the H1/H2 merge in July.

It's a bit of an engineering marvel -- while suspended in air, crews tackle about 16 foot sections of guide way at a time -- each portion weighs roughly 210,000 pounds.

"You have this central pillar and then on top of that on each end you have what's called a traveler form. The name is what it does -- it travels and it forms. It's a sort of yellow, metal piece and rebar gets placed in the side and concrete is poured and when it cures or hardens, then that traveler travels out a little more and then we begin the process again," explained Dan Grabauskas, Hart CEO.

Copyright 2015 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Read article here:http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...onnect-in-july

will101 liked this post

Tags
hart, honolulu, transporation