daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 20th, 2015, 12:06 AM   #442
floor23

Likes (Received): 436

The project is really coming together

It's surprising how fast they are building this compared to past projects in Hawaii.
floor23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 03:55 AM   #443
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2850

creativenative thank you for the updated pics!
Old September 21st, 2015, 05:00 AM   #444
I(L)WTC
Cono Sur ♥

Likes (Received): 8763

This is the first metro in Oceania?

GRIDO Emblema de la decada ganada

I(L)WTC liked this post
I(L)WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #445
Maksima

Likes (Received): 126

As the project continues, it's being hit with more news. I've been gone for a while, so there is a good number of articles and I really don't want to do mass posting like the last time. So i'll post a few that appeared this month.

Quote:
Lawsuit filed to invalidate rail vote
Abigail Kawananakoa sues city over undisclosed conflicts of interest

UPDATED 10:29 PM HST Sep 08, 2015
By Catherine Cruz

HONOLULU — Honolulu's rail project just completed four miles of guideway construction. The price tag is soaring and there's no room for delay.

But some fear a lawsuit filed Tuesday could do just that even though lawyers say the project isn't the target.

"The lawsuit, the case, is not about rail. The lawsuit is about good government, ethical government. It is about restoring trust in the system. The process here was absolutely dirty and it was illegal and it needs to be cleaned up," said Bridget Morgan of the law firm Dang and Bickerton.

She filed the suit on behalf of Campbell heir Abigail Kawananakoa.

The issue is whether key votes taken by Honolulu council members should be invalidated.

The city ethics commission fined former City Council member Romy Cachola $50,000 for accepting gifts from lobbyists linked to rail.

Copyright 2015 KITV4. All rights reserved.
Read article here:http://www.kitv.com/news/lawsuit-fil...-vote/35165202

---------------

Quote:
Honolulu rail crews complete 4 miles of elevated guideway

Posted: Sep 09, 2015 1:32 PM HST
Updated: Sep 09, 2015 1:32 PM HST

WAIPAHU, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow) — The Honolulu rail project is making headway with the completion of 4 miles of the system’s elevated guideway, officials announced Wednesday.

“We continue to make progress on the construction of our rail project,” HART Executive Director and CEO Dan Grabauskas said in a statement. “Safety is our top priority, and we want to thank the public for their patience, and for driving safely through our construction zones.”

Copyright 2015 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Read article here:http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/2...vated-guideway

---------------

Quote:
Rapid transit system changes design despite previous funding

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 1:33 AM HST
Updated: Sep 14, 2015 1:33 AM HST

HONOLULU (AP) - Honolulu rail officials say they are having construction firms create their own design plans for the second half of the island's 20-mile transit project, despite having spent more than $100 million in final design plans.

Copyright 2015 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Read article here: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...evious-funding

---------------

Quote:
Honolulu looking to buy land for Pearlridge rail station bus facility
Sep 15, 2015, 2:55pm HST
by Duane Shimogawa
Reporter - Pacific Business News

The City and County of Honolulu is negotiating the purchase of a site for a bus transfer facility at the Pearlridge rail transit station in Central Oahu, the city’s transit oriented development chief confirmed to PBN.

The Pearlridge Station, one of 21 rail stations along the city’s more than $6 billion elevated rail transit project, is being considered as a major urban center and regional destination with opportunities for new development.

The station, which is one of three stations in the Aiea-Pearlridge Neighborhood TOD Plan, also calls for the future re-orientation of Pearlridge Center, the second largest shopping mall in the state, and improved access to the Pearl Harbor Historic Trail and shoreline, the city said.

Copyright 2015 Pacific Business News. All rights reserved.
Read article here:http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/n...idge-rail.html

---------------

Quote:
Rail project’s federal grant in jeopardy because of delay

UPDATED 7:51 PM HST Sep 16, 2015
By Andrew Pereira

HONOLULU —The projected deficit for Honolulu's rail project has surpassed $1.1 billion after the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation announced on Monday cost overruns are likely to increase by another $200 million.

In a letter to Mayor Kirk Caldwell and City Council Chairman Ernie Martin, HART CEO and Executive Director Dan Grabauskas said the escalating cost is mostly due to Oahu's hot construction market.

"If we use a range that includes a 40 percent escalation, that would add approximately $200 million to overall project costs," wrote Grabauskas. "The strong construction market in Honolulu remains one of the most expensive in the United States and substantially above where costs were only five years ago when our construction budgets were first estimated."

If HART's prognosis is correct, the overall cost of the project is approaching $6.5 billion.

HART also admitted that the elevated rail line will miss its revenue service date of Jan. 31, 2020. Under a full funding grant agreement signed between the Federal Transit Administration and the city in December, 2012, failure to meet the opening date is a breach of contract. That means the city could be forced to return all or a portion of the $1.55 billion grant.

Copyright 2015 KITV4. All rights reserved.
Read article here:http://www.kitv.com/news/Rail-projec...delay/35317862

dimlys1994 liked this post
Maksima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #446
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor23 View Post
The project is really coming together

It's surprising how fast they are building this compared to past projects in Hawaii.
This project has a lot of enemies, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the motivation to finish it quickly is to head off the still-happening "11th hour" calls to scuttle the whole thing.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2015, 02:34 AM   #447
floor23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
This project has a lot of enemies, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the motivation to finish it quickly is to head off the still-happening "11th hour" calls to scuttle the whole thing.
The anti-rail crowd has lost every fight in stopping the rail project. They've lost every vote(08 ballot and 2012 mayoral election) and every case in court. They are like the black knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail... they just never give up. They will continue to make noise until the project is completed.

Despite this noise, there is a 0% chance rail will be stopped. I work in the commercial real estate industry out here and every lawyer I've discussed this project with has shot down the possibility of the rail construction being stopped. The FFGA is a binding contract between the Honolulu C&C and Federal Government. If the city doesn't complete the project to the specifications stated in the FFGA then they have to pay the feds back immediately(within 60 days to 1 year on average). I don't think there has ever been a case of an infrastructure project being cancelled in the middle of construction when it is has federal financing.

The best the anti-rail crowd can do is post comments on local news sites and facebook which doesn't really equate to getting anything done in the real world.

Dan78, bighomey3000 liked this post
Old October 11th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #449
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Quote:
Originally Posted by I(L)WTC View Post
This is the first metro in Oceania?
Sydney has a Metro under construction ...so it wouldn't be the first...
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #450
Nexis
Dark Wolf

How much of the line has been built so far?

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old October 12th, 2015, 03:47 AM   #451
floor23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
How much of the line has been built so far?
maybe only 20% at most is done. They haven't even acquired all the land and none of the stations have been constructed. I'm guessing that they finish somewhere between 2021 - 2023
Old October 12th, 2015, 07:13 AM   #452
Yeezus2

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor23 View Post
maybe only 20% at most is done. They haven't even acquired all the land and none of the stations have been constructed. I'm guessing that they finish somewhere between 2021 - 2023
Would it really be that long? That's 6 years! Although, I'm curious if construction projects of this magnitude take longer on Hawaii because of its geographical nature. Do they import most of the construction materials?
Old October 12th, 2015, 07:44 AM   #453
Nexis
Dark Wolf

The Guide way itself is the easiest part of the project...the stations are the complex part.
Old October 12th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #454
floor23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeezus2 View Post
Would it really be that long? That's 6 years! Although, I'm curious if construction projects of this magnitude take longer on Hawaii because of its geographical nature. Do they import most of the construction materials?
100% of all construction materials for any type of development are imported. The only things Hawaii doesn't import is water and air... even Waikiki Beach has sand imported from Australia

If they finish in 6 years it would be amazing. However, finishing in 2022 or 2023 is more likely but that could just be me being an optimist. It wouldn't be surprising if construction took longer.

Yeezus2 liked this post
Old October 13th, 2015, 01:53 PM   #455
creativenative

Likes (Received): 291

More lots acquired and cleared for future Lagoon Dr. Station

On this Google map the reds lines indicate the lots the city had purchased and recently cleared. Blue line shows east to west rail path.
Lagoon Dr cleared lots for future station by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Lot cleared for future rail station on Lagoon Drive near airport by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Another lot cleared by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

dimlys1994, redspork02 liked this post
creativenative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #456
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Does Honolulu have any bus lanes?
Old October 16th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #457
Nexarc
Shipper on Deck

Likes (Received): 6

There are a few short bus lanes that are remnants of the city's BRT pilot program from a decade ago, mostly in the Waikiki and downtown areas. However, they are relatively short, block-long segments that aren't strictly enforced.

The HOV "zipper" lane on the H1 freeway was part of the pilot program and is still used by the occasional bus, but is now open to other road traffic.
Nexarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #458
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Why did they scrap the BRT project?
Old October 16th, 2015, 09:42 PM   #459
Nexarc
Shipper on Deck

Likes (Received): 6

OahuTrans2K as it was known back then was an attempt to bring BRT to Hawaii in the new millenium. Certain stops received greater curb heights and new shelter designs for the transition. A movable barrier system plus associated equipment were bought for the future bus contraflow lanes on the H1. Even GPS tracking and a smart fare card trial was being implemented. The color scheme changed so that buses get a full rainbow livery rather than the older yellow-orange bands.

However, people were of course hostile to the conversion of road space to bus lanes and there was no real dedicated funding source. Coupled with some now-familiar local critics and the issues with the fare card pilot led the city to cancel the project around 2004-2005. The current limited-stop express services was all that was left of the program. All new bus purchases then returned the classic yellow band design.

However, some influences are being brought back in conjunction with the rail project, such as retrying a universal smart fare card. The full rainbow band livery will be reused by the city to define dedicated rapid transit service (also explaining why the rail cars will include a rainbow along their graphics).
Nexarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2015, 10:43 PM   #460
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I'm honestly surprised at how powerful the anti-transit critics are on Oahu... Its not like you have unlimited space to sprawl and build massive highways... Its a small island...

Tags
hart, honolulu, transporation