daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2015, 04:30 AM   #461
jam5

Likes (Received): 535

Are the anti-transit critics largely from the older generations? If so, it would explain a lot.
jam5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2015, 12:26 PM   #462
creativenative

Likes (Received): 291

Old and new photos of Honolulu rail

I was lucky enough to drive by as the first section of the rail guideway was lifted and placed in this first photo. In following two picts one can see the early progress of the guideway heading in both directions, Kapolei to the right and Waipahu to the left.
IMAG0718 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
IMAG0821 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
IMAG0881 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Next two shots are current photos of rail heading into Kapolei and below that rail heading into Waipahu
Shot of rail heading into Kapolei by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Rail shot of guideway heading into Waipahu by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Stitched photo of the ever growing multi cantilever bridges over H-1 freeway
Cantilever Bridge 10-28-15 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Rail columns heading into Pearl City
New Columns heading east in Pearl City 10-28-15 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Last tall column for the Pearl Highlands Station
Last of the tall columns going up at the Pearl Highlands station by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Special tall columns in the middle of Pearl City getting ready to cross over H-1 freeway once again
Heavy duty columns preparing to go over freeway at Pearl City 10-28-15 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

dimlys1994, Bobdreamz, Nexis, redspork02 liked this post

Last edited by creativenative; October 31st, 2015 at 12:27 PM. Reason: typo
creativenative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2015, 12:58 AM   #463
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2850

Great updates & pics! Thanks for posting!
Old November 1st, 2015, 03:58 AM   #464
floor23

Likes (Received): 436

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I'm honestly surprised at how powerful the anti-transit critics are on Oahu... Its not like you have unlimited space to sprawl and build massive highways... Its a small island...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam5 View Post
Are the anti-transit critics largely from the older generations? If so, it would explain a lot.
I would say most anti-rail people aren’t against it because they are anti-transit but are against it because they are fiscally conservative. Honolulu almost has 1 million residents and there are concerns that a rail project like this would be too expensive for the community to support. When people voted for the project it was supposed to cost under $4 billion, now the project cost is $6.5 billion and growing.

As for BRT, it fails in so many places because it takes lanes up lanes on the roadways. I believe that’s one of the reasons HART decided to go fully elevated, so that it didn’t end up competing with drivers for road space.
As I’ve said in previous posts, It really doesn’t matter how opposed people are to this project because it is backed by an FFGA. I lived through the battle in Seattle over Sound Transit where opposition to the project was way more and there was 10x as much litigation over the project. However, despite the opposition the Washington State Supreme Court ruled in favor of Sound Transit because it has an FFGA behind it. The FFGA is a binding agreement that states that any local government that takes funding from the Feds must exhaust all options to finish the project, even if the feds don’t live up to their end of the deal. You could equate it to signing a pact with the devil if you are opposed to the project. For the City and County of Honolulu not to live up to its commitments stated in the FFGA, it could result in a default on its bonds, and also result in Grant funding being held back from not just the City and County but also the State as well because the FTA which issued them is an agency of the DOT. The only thing Anti-Transit folks can do is yell loudly and complain and it’s a lot of fun to watch.
floor23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:28 PM   #465
floor23

Camera Feed of Rail Construction

If anyone is interested in watching progress on the rail, you can go to http://goakamai.org/icx/pages/cameras.aspx

If you want to see where current construction is I would check the camera feed from Waipahu, Farrington Highway, and Kamehameha Highway(Aiea/Pearl City)

Suburbanist liked this post
Old November 5th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #466
creativenative

Likes (Received): 291

Night shots and double columns

Thanks floor23 for the camera link. I just checked out some cool live night shots. Coincidentally I was about to post some night shots I took earlier this evening.
Night work rail guideway heading west in east Waipahu 11-4-15 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Night work guideway heading east in central Waipahu 11-4-15 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Night work section of rail guide prepares to go up in central Waipahu 11-4-15 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Night work another rail guideway gets placed in central Waipahu 11-4-15 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Night work Guideway heading east at the western end of Pearl City 11-4-15 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Also wanted to check out shots (old and new) of the double column supports under some of the cantilever bridges connecting Waipahu and Pearl City...
Night shot of double columns supports for the rail cantilever bridges over Honolulu freeway 11-4-15 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Double column for cantilever bridge heading into Pearl Highlands station in August. 2015 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Double column used on cantilever bridge work July 31, 2015 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

...and compare them to these double columns going up in central Pearl City which appear to be supports for the rail guideway going over the freeway there. It appears to be the same as to conclude that the Rail will build a cantilever bridge in Central Pearl City also but just a single and simple expanse. Below is the double columns support in central Pearl City and I notice the foundations of another double column support on the other side of the freeway but couldn't take a good picture of it.
Double rail guideway columns in Pearl City looking like double cantilever columns in a earlier freeway crossing 11-4-15 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

It will be a long expanse with around 12 lanes to cross.

Suburbanist liked this post
creativenative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 02:53 PM   #467
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21258

Has the project reached that point where it is no longer a question of whether it will be actually built, just when?
Old November 5th, 2015, 03:34 PM   #468
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Has the project reached that point where it is no longer a question of whether it will be actually built, just when?
Huh , it is clearly under construction....
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #469
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Huh , it is clearly under construction....
My worries is that someone (politician etc) would scream for the project to be stopped east of the Ala Moana end.

I never understood why they gave up on UH campus end anyway, would be a major trip generator.
Old November 5th, 2015, 08:34 PM   #470
Nexarc
Shipper on Deck

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
I never understood why they gave up on UH campus end anyway, would be a major trip generator.
From my understanding, it was more of media confusion rather than the city-council / HART not living up to their "promise". Up until the draft EIS was even published, there was rather wild speculation in the news on what the project actually was going to accomplish. The only guarantee the planners gave was that it would follow the east-west urban corridor that eventually services UH Manoa and W Kapolei after being fully built out through extensions.

Even the supposed cost "increase" from $3-billion to $5-billion was the media/public not recognizing a difference between an initial estimate vs year-of-expenditure estimate.
Nexarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2015, 09:45 PM   #471
floor23

Quote:
My worries is that someone (politician etc) would scream for the project to be stopped east of the Ala Moana end.

They never did give up on the UH Manoa campus. Part of getting Federal funding for transit projects requires the project connects to the main local university. In 2012 there was a debate in Federal Court that they would build a tunnel from downtown via king street to UH manoa instead of going through Kakaako and Ala Moana. The Federal Judge eventually ruled in favor of the original route but with the agreement that the City and County of Honolulu would build to UH Manoa after they completed the first phase to Ala Moana.

Just like Sound Transit in Seattle is connecting the Link Light Rail to UW, HART will have to eventually connect the line to UH Manoa as required by federal law.

I wouldn't read too much local news when it comes to Honolulu Rail because they have shown their ineptitude when talking about the project. The only person/group with the authority to halt an infrastructure project midway in construction would be a Federal Judge which has 0% chance of happening. Hawaii politicians can yell all they want but they really don't have much power when it comes to this thing. The city may fund this project, but the FFGA is a binding contract that dictates the rail project.

I don't know how many times I have to say it on this thread, but Rail is a done deal. The Feds/FTA aren't going to let Hawaii use federal grant money and not finish the project. There has never been a project in the U.S. backed by an FFGA that hasn't been finished.

Last edited by floor23; November 5th, 2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old November 6th, 2015, 01:52 AM   #472
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Second Quarter 2015 Daily Ridership numbers for Honolulu

Bus Ridership
Honolulu / City & Cnty of Honolulu DOTS - 207,500 (2015) : -3.01%
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 03:53 AM   #473
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor23 View Post
In 2012 there was a debate in Federal Court that they would build a tunnel from downtown via king street to UH manoa instead of going through Kakaako and Ala Moana. The Federal Judge eventually ruled in favor of the original route but with the agreement that the City and County of Honolulu would build to UH Manoa after they completed the first phase to Ala Moana.
So are you saying that the extension will have a subway section?
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 04:07 AM   #474
Maksima

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post

That was one of the suggested alternatives where they built a tunnel section in the downtown area. Diving before and resurfacing after downtown along King St.
But I don't think that was what they ultimately choose in the end.
It would make the land purchases near Ala Moana pointless
Maksima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2015, 08:50 AM   #475
floor23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
Sorry for the confusion, I must have explained it incorrectly. It was a suggested alternative by the federal judge. Picture below to give you a visual.

The route that was agreed upon will continue along Kona St. (cutting through part of the ala moana mall's parking structure), then follow along Kapiolani Blvd, then turn on to University Ave heading towards the UH Manoa Campus.

dimlys1994, redspork02 liked this post
Old November 6th, 2015, 10:14 PM   #476
Suburbanist
on the road

Has a route through Waikiki been considered from the beggining?
Old November 6th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #477
floor23

Quote:
Has a route through Waikiki been considered from the beggining?
Yes, the city plans show it going down kalakaua (connecting from kapiolani) and then running along Kuhio Ave. I'm guessing HART will try to package the UH/Waikiki Extenstion together and fund both at the same time. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there is an incredibly strong push by the Taxi's drivers unions and other groups in Waikiki to keep it out entirely or push the rail route along the Ala Wai Canal.

Edit - I think a rail line along the Ala Wai Canal would be great, because it would open up the potential for residential/commercial development on the Ala Wai Golf Course.

Last edited by floor23; November 6th, 2015 at 11:11 PM.
Old November 6th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #478
Maksima

HONOLULU | Public Transport

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor23 View Post
Edit - I think a rail line along the Ala Wai Canal would be great, because it would open up the potential for residential/commercial development on the Ala Wai Golf Course.

It's not out of the realm of possibility, but highly improbable at the moment.
Old November 7th, 2015, 12:33 AM   #479
Suburbanist
on the road

IT would be very interesting if they had plans to extend the line to Waialae.

I
Old November 7th, 2015, 03:03 AM   #480
Maksima

Quote:
IT would be very interesting if they had plans to extend the line to Waialae.

I can never see that happening, unless they do some kind of subway section.

Tags
hart, honolulu, transporation