daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 29th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #501
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

User creativenative is overdue for his monthly update... , abit worried..
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2016, 08:55 PM   #502
floor23

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Well, Chinese have also built their rail and subway infrastructure almost from scratch during the last 15 years. Can't you import at least some work crews from the East Coast? Surely there they have enough experience in various construction techniques. I guess on the plus side you'll have significantly more experience after this is finished.
Comparing Infrastructure projects in Mainland China to Hawaii is a really poor comparison. I’ve never heard of a lawsuit stalling an infrastructure project in China. The only similarity between the two is that we have a lot of Chinese people In Hawaii. China doesn’t have things like property rights, environmental regulations, safety standards, and labor regulations which can slow down a project.

Considering that Honolulu will be extending the line in the future it’s probably best that we have local crews who are trained in building and maintaining the Rail system. However it can be expensive at first to train and get all the labor necessary to preform those tasks. The good thing is that when we do extend the rail system to other parts of the island it will be far cheaper because the infrastructure will be in place. The 1st segment of any Heavy Rail system is always the most expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
User creativenative is overdue for his monthly update... , abit worried..
Crea8ive Na8ive has a great collection of photos but you should check out miniviews flikr page. He has the best and most updated collection of photos for the rail project. I have it bookmarked and check it every few days to see the progress.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/miniviews/

you could also check out goakamai.org. They have traffic cams throughout the island and you can get a live feed of the construction

http://goakamai.org/icx/pages/cameras.aspx
floor23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 05:43 AM   #503
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

You also have to look at how much China needs the Metro and High Speed Rail Projects they are building. The need them and them right now not 3 to 5 years from now when they will be finished. They also have a shorter approval process of approving Infrastructure Projects China has approved a Metro, HSR, Road, or any other project during the same amount of time while the US would still be doing an environmental review.

If they can approve it, pay off villagers, and finish construction in 3 to 5 years. You would spend 2 years just on an environmental review and several years acquiring property. China can do it fast because what the CCP says is the rule it will get done no matter what and the CCP is also never wrong they are always right and above criticism. What China has done is amazing but that couldn't be done in America with all the environmental, property, and regulatory laws.
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2016, 07:56 PM   #504
Nexarc
Shipper on Deck

Likes (Received): 6

When it comes to US infrastructure projects, the environmental review process is simultaneously the biggest asset and greatest weakness in the planning/construction stage.

On one hand you can save environmental resources such as water, preservation lands, and endangered species. On the other such as what HART sees, one can stall things on the subjective grounds of aesthetics (i.e. it "ruins" the view by being too tall, made of concrete, etc).

sweet-d liked this post
Nexarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2016, 08:04 PM   #505
Nexarc
Shipper on Deck

Likes (Received): 6

As for a project update, HART CEO Dan Grabrauskas recently had an interview with Hawaii News Now regarding the current status of certain rail topics.

Video in link:
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/clip/12...january-update

Of note is the fact that the first few rail cars are nearing completion and are expected to be delivered sometime in the next month or so.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Nexarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2016, 06:35 AM   #506
creativenative

Likes (Received): 291

I'm alive

Just devoting my time to my beloved wife who works out of state usually. We did manage to see rail in Waipahu and Pearl City last Thursday Feb. 4th, I think. Unfortunately I forgot to shoot Pear City progress which has lots of posts in and guideway layed out past Pearl Highlands shopping center.

Rail posts all up in Waipahu by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

1-4-2016 can see the rail guideway laying machine on the far end of this photo. Final stretch for Waipahu by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

mrsmartman, dimlys1994, Nexis, miniviews, ok2 and 2 others liked this post
creativenative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:22 PM   #507
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...o-station.html

Honolulu breaks ground on first metro station
26 Feb 2016

USA: Construction of the first Honolulu Rail Transit station officially started with a groundbreaking ceremony on February 25. Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transit and contractor Hawaiian Dredging Construction Co were joined by city and state officials at West Loch station.

Hawaiian Dredging Construction Co is building West Loch under a contract awarded in June 2015 that also includes Waipahu Transit Center and Leeward Community College stations

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

phoenixboi08, ok2 liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 12:48 PM   #508
creativenative

Rail update photos 3-22-16

miniviews has great stuff too. One day we might literally run into each other cause we are taking photos of rail and not paying attention to the road. lol. Thanks floor23 for the link.

These series of pics were taken while driving from east to west, from south of Aloha Stadium to the west outside of Waipahu. Near Aloha Stadium is when the first phase of Honolulu rail ends, which also represents half of the whole rail line.

Rail guideway assembling machine moved to east end of phase one of Honolulu Rail south of the Stadium station. Looking south behind me. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail columns leaving Stadium station. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

New rail columns at Stadium station. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail column ground work in east Pearl City. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

More rail columns going up in east Pearl City. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Other side of freeway in central Pearl City with tall support rail columns for rail bridge. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Taller columns heading towards bridge column that will support a bridge over freeway. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Forming new rail columns in central Pearl City. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Many new rail columns in west Pearl City. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail guideway assembly machine in west Pearl City heading east towards Aloha Stadium and central Honolulu. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail guideway moving along in west Pearl City. Looking west. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Large cantilever rail columns in west Pearl City. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Another angle of work on four span bridge and Pearl Highlands station. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Work on Pearl Highlands very high station. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Final four span bridge completed turning into Pearl Highlands station. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Wide shot of Pearl Highlands station and four arch bridge over freeway and on and off ramps. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail maintenance yard. Building look done, on the outside anyway May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail vehicles at the Maintenance yard May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Recently laid rail guideway in east Waipahu. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

One span left to go and Waipahu will be complete. May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail guideway in east Waipahu with station opening on near left May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Curvy rail guideway in central Waipahu May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

First rail station construction in west Waipahu. Note construction fences on both sides of guideway May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail just west of Waipahu with new curbs and pavement. This is a small example of the finish product that would improve most of Honolulu May 22, 2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:11 PM   #509
IanCleverly
A New Kind of Medicine

Likes (Received): 230

I can't help but notice that the tagged date on the flickr photographs say it's May of 2016!

ok2 liked this post
IanCleverly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2016, 11:14 PM   #510
Nexis
Dark Wolf

LOL , maybe Creative Native has a time machine...

prageethSL liked this post
Old March 25th, 2016, 02:00 PM   #511
Maksima

Likes (Received): 126

Look what showed up today...

Quote:
First train cars for rail transit system arrive on Oahu

Posted: Mar 24, 2016 5:15 PM HST
Updated: Mar 24, 2016 5:30 PM HST
By Catherine Cruz

Honolulu’s first rail cars have arrived, but they have not been unwrapped.

We got a look at them just hours after they arrived at Honolulu Harbor’s Pier 1.

“(It’s) a pretty historic day. We have twins,” said Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell.

Rail officials say they’re leaving the two cars as is and are not taking the shrink wrap off just yet, because the cars still need to be transported and need to be protected.

“Because the cars are still wrapped, how do you know you’re actually getting what you paid for?” KHON2 asked.

“We have folks in our facility in Pittsburg, Calif., who were there, making sure the final assembly took place as we wanted. I’ve actually personally visited the factory a couple times,” said Dan Grabauskas, executive director of the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation.

Copyright KHON2. All rights reserved.
Read article here:http://khon2.com/2016/03/24/first-tr...rrive-on-oahu/

prageethSL, dimlys1994, Ultramatic liked this post
Maksima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 05:02 PM   #512
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26177

Photos:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...rs-arrive.html

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 07:13 AM   #513
Nexis
Dark Wolf

4th Quarter 2015 Daily Ridership numbers for Honolulu

Bus Ridership
Honolulu / City & Cnty of Honolulu DOTS - 209,200 (2015) : -2.81%
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:23 AM   #514
creativenative

Photos from Mar. 30 Sorry not May

Photos from one end to another of the Honolulu rail's first phase from Kapolei to just past Aloha Stadium.

Work on Kapolei west station. 3-30-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Work on Waipahu west station. 3-30-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Waipahu rail guideway completed in Waipahu. 3-30-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Another angle last rail guideway links in Waipahu. 3-30-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Maintenance Yard 3-30-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

5 arch bridge over H-1 freeway &amp; curving into Pearl Highlands station. 3-30-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

The Following couple of photos are about the fast rail work in progress in the west half of Pearl City. One can see many columns erected.

image by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

image by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

More rail columns going up in east half of Pearl City. This last leg of phase one is really going up fast. 3-30-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail columns going up on east half of Pearl City. 3-30-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Columns going up for Pearl Ridge shopping center station. 3-30-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Prep work being done on far east end of Pearl City just before Aloha Stadium. 3-30-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

The end of the line in phase on or half way point just two blocks south of Aloha stadium. 3-30-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Last edited by creativenative; April 2nd, 2016 at 10:28 AM. Reason: word correction and photo order change
creativenative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 09:47 PM   #515
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

It looks like many streches of the line go through rural areas...

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:00 PM   #516
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
It looks like many streches of the line go through rural areas...
They are all earmarked for future dense development.

Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2016, 06:54 AM   #517
creativenative

First Spy Shoot - Rails Cars

Well I wouldn't say spy but these shots weren't easy. First look at all four rail cars at the maintenance rail yard. We knew 2 cars came in March 24 on the docks and the next two on the next shipment. These weren't here yesterday. So here are all four. Fortunately still outside but unfortunately still wrapped. Must be for a promo/press revealing soon.

First attempt with a little climbing but fence still between us
New rails through fence 4-7-2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Then I found a little whole in the fence but couldn't tweet the exposure
New rail cars through small hole in fence. 4-6-2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Then as the freeway on ramp rose above the fence got these great shots looking back but on a dangerous small shoulder.
New rail cars at yard by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Tighter
New rail cars closer 4-7-2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Things are getting exciting here. Note all previous renderings shown a two car train but we all know that the great thing about rail is that you can add cars. I would say this four car version is max because of the rail station spands.
Old April 8th, 2016, 08:11 AM   #518
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativenative View Post
Well I wouldn't say spy but these shots weren't easy. First look at all four rail cars at the maintenance rail yard. We knew 2 cars came in March 24 on the docks and the next two on the next shipment. These weren't here yesterday. So here are all four. Fortunately still outside but unfortunately still wrapped. Must be for a promo/press revealing soon.

Then I found a little hole in the fence but couldn't tweet the exposure
Be careful , we need you alive to take all these beautiful photos of the Metro line..

Old April 9th, 2016, 01:35 AM   #519
Ginkgo

Likes (Received): 3574

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativenative View Post
New rail cars closer 4-7-2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Things are getting exciting here. Note all previous renderings shown a two car train but we all know that the great thing about rail is that you can add cars. I would say this four car version is max because of the rail station spands.
So it looks like the middle two cars are cab cars. Or are they? I guess they would have to be if the train is not going to have to be turned at the termini. It looks like the two middle cars do not have a full operator compartment like the end cars do, but maybe have operator controls. Sound Transit Link light rail doesn't have cab cars--all are the same configuration with full operator control areas at both ends, so they don't need to be turned. Which also means there is no passage between cars, like in traditional subways cars. Unlike those, ST Sounder commuter trains have cab cars, which still looks odd to me when NB Sounder commuter trains have the engine pushing from behind.
Old April 9th, 2016, 01:39 AM   #520
Maksima

Likes (Received): 126

HONOLULU | Public Transport

The middle cars are not cab cars as HART's system is a automatic metro similar to Copenhagen's metro. They also have full passage through all four after they changed the train set configuration from two cars to four cars.

stockholm79 liked this post
Maksima no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hart, honolulu, transporation