daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 19th, 2016, 08:17 AM   #541
creativenative

Likes (Received): 291

Update 05-18-16 Shots I missed on the last update

First lots of action on the future Leeward Community College station.

Work on Leeward C.C. Station. Tearing up parking lot. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Removing buildings for Leeward C.C. For new station. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

And tearing down other buildings for the future Windward C.C. Rail station. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

New replacements buildings for Leeward C.C. Location of the college's future rail station. An improvement. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

While at Leeward C.C. one has a good view of the 5-Arch rail bridge crossing highway and curving into the Pearl Highlands station. Also a view of a new exit ramp off freeway heading also inti the Pearl Highlands station or parking lot, that Maksima pointed out a couple weeks ago.
Shot of 5 Arches rail bridge over H-1 Freeway with its on and off ramps. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Underneath rail bridge and car overpass one can see work on the north/west bound freeway exit to the Pearl Highlands station. Note exposed dirt on hill side. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Other end of this new exit ramp

Work on highway exit ramp heading into Pearl Highlands station. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Now heading west thur Pearl City
Just past Pearl Highlands station, rail guideway across from Pearl Highlands shopping center. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Continuing east on Kamehameha Hwy. in Pearl City. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail guideway running east in the western half of Pearl City. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Updated on rail guideway assembly rig which has gone far as it can on the west side of the freeway. As conjectured earlier, the rig will now be dismantled and moved to the other side of the freeway to continue. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

On east side of freeway, note supporting "T" rig on rail column ready for the guideway assembly rig to move. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Looks like I was wrong, this assembly rig over the Pearl Ridge station looks like it's now heading east towards Aloha stadium. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Closer and better shot of Aloha Stadium station. 05-18-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Shot of the end of first phase of the rail project just beyond the Aloha Stadium station. by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2016, 10:31 AM   #542
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Have any stations started construction yet?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2016, 08:05 PM   #543
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

If there is any place that can really benefit from local rail transportation it's Oahu. Get all those cars off the road and more people on to trains. Faster than traffic on Interstate H1 and so much better for the environment. I've always wondered why so many were against this when the alternative(more cars) is such an environmentally dirty solution.

ok2, Tommy Boy liked this post
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #544
creativenative

Likes (Received): 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Have any stations started construction yet?
Yes the first six has started prep work but no actual construction of the stations themselves. They are design build contracts so the winning bidders are also doing architect/engineering work. I hope they redesign the stations to have a somewhat of a Hawaiian sense of place but they may be under obligation to complete what apparently are preliminary designs.

Last edited by creativenative; May 20th, 2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: new work
creativenative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2016, 09:47 AM   #545
Maksima

Likes (Received): 126

- dmca

dimlys1994 liked this post
Maksima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #546
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

How much more - or less - had they built a subway? Fewer utilities to move I'd imagine.

How does this work anyway? You have projected costs and you have contracts.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 08:14 PM   #547
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
How much more - or less - had they built a subway? Fewer utilities to move I'd imagine.
From what I understand there was a plan to have a least part of the Honolulu rail line in a subway tunnel (through downtown) at some point, but engineers were concerned about both the integrity of the soil/rockbed (very soft and porous stuff) and the high water table that the Honolulu area has, so they went with elevated instead. My guess is the subway route would have been more expensive than the elevated route as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
How does this work anyway? You have projected costs and you have contracts.
Don't know why, but this seems to be a very "American" thing. My best guess is that contractors ridiculously low-ball estimates to try to get the bid, and then afterwards slowly inflate the price tag to the actual pricepoint they had in mind. It doesn't help that US costs for rail projects are extraordinarily high to start off with.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 08:31 PM   #548
DCUrbanist

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Don't know why, but this seems to be a very "American" thing. My best guess is that contractors ridiculously low-ball estimates to try to get the bid, and then afterwards slowly inflate the price tag to the actual pricepoint they had in mind. It doesn't help that US costs for rail projects are extraordinarily high to start off with.
I think this is totally true. The fact that Americans tend to almost exclusively award contracts to the lowest bidder and consider other factors at far less critical levels than other countries is a huge flaw, in my opinion, because it leads to situations exactly like this one. What if one of the other contracts had better plans for utilities at a higher cost? What if another contract had better controls against price increases, again at a higher cost? It's penny-wise and pound-foolish. Most other places consider factors like that.

I might also add that in America contractors can sue the public sector, which gives them significantly more leverage in their dealings with the state. If the Green Line Extension in Boston is any indication, there are also few to no effective controls against increasing prices or labor costs once contracts are signed.

Dan78 liked this post
DCUrbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 08:36 PM   #549
ok2

Likes (Received): 2073

Do you guys remember the Big Dig in Boston? It was estimated at 3 billion and ended up at 15 billion.
ok2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2016, 11:40 PM   #550
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCUrbanist View Post
I think this is totally true. The fact that Americans tend to almost exclusively award contracts to the lowest bidder and consider other factors at far less critical levels than other countries is a huge flaw, in my opinion, because it leads to situations exactly like this one. What if one of the other contracts had better plans for utilities at a higher cost? What if another contract had better controls against price increases, again at a higher cost? It's penny-wise and pound-foolish. Most other places consider factors like that.

I might also add that in America contractors can sue the public sector, which gives them significantly more leverage in their dealings with the state. If the Green Line Extension in Boston is any indication, there are also few to no effective controls against increasing prices or labor costs once contracts are signed.
Aren't they often legally obligated to choose the lowest bid?

Last edited by phoenixboi08; June 25th, 2016 at 04:22 PM.
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2016, 07:21 AM   #551
ok2

Likes (Received): 2073

I wouldn't be surprised if many investors have made their business decisions based on the fact that the train will reach Ala Moana shopping mall. In fact in 2015 a new section was added to the mall and new condos are under construction in the area. I don't know if the city official have made any promises to those investors so they can pour millions of dollars in commercial real-estate and residential buildings along the rail line. If that's the case, then this will be a very bad news for those developers. I was in Honolulu just last week and I have to say that the traffic on H1 is mind blowing. I hope that HART can convince the federal government to give them more money so they can complete the project.
ok2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2016, 12:14 PM   #552
Maksima

Quote:
Council approves $6.8B cap on rail spending

Published: Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 4:06 pm HST
Updated: Wednesday, June 1st 2016, 11:14 pm HST
By HNN Staff

HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) -
After hours of debate, City Council members agreed Wednesday to cap spending for the Honolulu rail project at $6.8 billion, a total that will likely mean the project's scope will have to be scaled back.

The cap represents Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation's latest estimated cost for the project, which currently calls for a 20-mile rail route with 21 stations.

But the figure is much lower than the new estimated price tag from the Federal Transit Administration. FTA officials put the cost of the completed project at more like $8.1 billion.

City Council Chairman Ernie Martin says rail officials need to have a more realistic grasp of the project's costs.

Copyright Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Full article here-> http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...-rail-spending

Quote:
Mayor: Shorter rail route could cost taxpayers more in long-run

Published: Thursday, June 2nd 2016, 6:31 pm HST
Updated: Thursday, June 2nd 2016, 6:40 pm HST
By Rick Daysog, Reporter

Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell says he welcomes the City Council's decision to cap the rail budget at $6.8 billion, but added an alternative plan to stop the project at Middle Street could wind up costing taxpayers more money than it saves.

"They talked about changing routes, maybe ending short, deferring stations," Caldwell said. "Maybe those things should be looked at but I don't think a decision should be made yet."

Fare revenues will cover about 30 percent of the rail's operating costs and the rest -- about $100 million a year -- is subsidized by the city.

Caldwell said a shortened route means lower ridership, which in turn, forces taxpayers to pick up more of the tab.

Full article here-> http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...taxpayers-more

Quote:
Former chairman of Honolulu rail board ends time on project
Jun 8, 2016, 2:59pm HST
Updated Jun 9, 2016, 12:25pm HST
By Kathleen Gallagher
Reporter | Pacific Business News

Members of the Honolulu public expressed concern about the departure of several members of the original Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation board, including former chairman Ivan Lui-Kwan, who will leave when his term ends at the end of this month.

Board members and public speakers thanked Lui-Kwan for his time on the project at their regular meeting on Wednesday. The Honolulu City Council has proposed a former councilman, John Henry Felix, take Lui-Kwan’s place.

Copyright Pacific Business News. All rights reserved.
Full article here-> http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/n...ends-time.html

Quote:
HART members recommend striving for Downtown Honolulu
Jun 9, 2016, 3:00pm HST
Updated Jun 10, 2016, 9:19am HST
By Kathleen Gallagher
Reporter | Pacific Business News

Dan Grabauskas, executive director of the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation, and Brennon Morioka, deputy director, recommend that the new elevated rail system terminate Downtown as the board reconsiders options for the over-budget project.

Members of the HART board of directors met Wednesday to discuss financial options for the rail project, which has a potential $1.14 billion deficit.

On Monday, the Federal Transit Administration wrote to Mayor Kirk Caldwell and Grabauskas asking them to submit a “recovery plan” on or before Aug. 7.

“HART must re-baseline the project budget and schedule to reflect current conditions, identify a permanent risk manager, update the project management plan and streamline its organizational structure with clear roles and responsibilities,” Leslie Rogers, regional administrator for the FTA, wrote in the letter.

Copyright Pacific Business News. All rights reserved.
Full article here-> http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/n...-downtown.html

Quote:
New cuts considered to keep rail project afloat on constricted budget
By Kristine Uyeno
Published: June 8, 2016, 7:31 pm

What would Honolulu’s rail project look like if it was built within budget?

The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation presented its board with different scenarios Wednesday.

Rail is expected to cost nearly $8 billion and could have a deficit of $1.1 billion. After consulting with the federal government, HART learned without more funds, it needs to consider options for construction with the expected revenue.

Here are the options that are being looked at:
  • Build to Middle Street as planned, and build the guideway only to Ala Moana;
  • Build to Middle Street as planned and continue with bus service;
  • Build to Middle Street as planned and continue with at grade, or light rail, system;
  • Construct as far as funding allows, what they call an a la carte evaluation;
  • Public-private partnership solicitations for all of the rail stations; or
  • Change the route from Dillingham Boulevard to Nimitz Highway.

Copyright KHON2. All rights reserved.
Full article here-> http://khon2.com/2016/06/08/new-cuts...ricted-budget/

Old June 12th, 2016, 12:48 AM   #554
floor23

Likes (Received): 435

I'm still a firm believer in that they finish this project according to the original plan. The FFGA is a binding contract and any changes require FTA approval. There was an article in star advertiser a month or so ago where the FTA's recommendation was to extend the GET for another 5 years. IMO that clearly shows the FTA believes that the project should be finished according to plan. The C&C of Honolulu and HART are required to finish the project according to the FFGA and if the FTA decides that no changes are to be made, then they are obligated to finish the project regardless of the opinion of the public and local politicians.

The FTA isn't going to let Honolulu slide on this one as it would set a bad precedent for other future transit projects nationwide. I believe there is a 99% chance that this project is completed according to the original plan.

Last edited by floor23; June 18th, 2016 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Made some incorrect statements regarding political positions of the mayoral candidates.
floor23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2016, 12:38 PM   #555
Maksima

Quote:
Honolulu’s rail among only a handful of projects under heavy federal scrutiny

By Kristine Uyeno
Published: June 21, 2016, 5:55 pm
Updated: June 21, 2016, 7:09 pm

As Honolulu races toward a deadline for a new financial plan for rail, KHON2 has learned the project is undergoing a level of scrutiny not many have faced.

For the first time since Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell said rail’s initial segment should stop at Middle Street, the Federal Transit Administration is responding.

Honolulu has less than two months to give federal officials the new plan, which is something the feds don’t often require.

The FTA says it’s placed only about 10 major capital projects under Full Funding Grant Agreements (FFGAs) under a recovery plan in the past 25 years.

Honolulu’s rail project is one of them.

Full article here-> http://khon2.com/2016/06/21/honolulu...eral-scrutiny/

Quote:
New 'worst-case scenario' report reveals full 20-mile rail route could cost $10.79B
Published: Thursday, June 23rd 2016, 5:52 pm HST
Updated: Thursday, June 23rd 2016, 7:21 pm HST
By Mileka Lincoln, Reporter

A new "worst-case scenario" report estimates rail costs could near $11 billion dollars, but the HART Board Chair says the latest figure only matters if the community and elected officials want to pursue more funding for the project to ensure it can run from Kapolei to Ala Moana.

Earlier this month, city council members voted to cap spending for rail at $6.8 billion. A few weeks later, the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation released its latest estimate for the total cost at $7.9 billion. However, the Federal Transit Administration believes the price tag will be closer to $8.1 billion.

Now a new report issued by Jacobs Engineering Group, the Project Management Oversight Contractor (PMOC) used a statistical model to determine that if rail runs all 20-miles, as it was initially intended, it could cost as much as $10.8 billion.

Full article here-> http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...uld-cost-1079b

Quote:
Investigation underway after rail car vandalized at Waipahu operations center
By Alexander Zannes, Alex Cerball and Web Staff
Published: June 24, 2016, 4:09 pm
Updated: June 24, 2016, 10:29 pm

Honolulu police are investigating after someone broke into the Rail Operations Center in Waipahu and vandalized a rail car.

It happened sometime late Thursday night or early Friday morning.

We’ve seen the photos, but have decided not to show them in order not to glorify the artist.

The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation confirms one car was marked with graffiti, and is already being cleaned.

HART spokesman Bill Brennan released the following statement:

"Unfortunately, HART’s Rail Operations Center was vandalized overnight and one of Honolulu’s rail cars was painted with graffiti. HART is investigating the incident with the Honolulu Police Department and is increasing security at the site to prevent any future incidents. Graffiti removal has already begun and should concluded in the next several days."

Full article here-> http://khon2.com/2016/06/24/investig...ations-center/

Old June 26th, 2016, 01:29 AM   #556
floor23

picture below sums up the Honolulu Rail Project thus far

miniviews, Jthurmo2 liked this post
Old July 18th, 2016, 10:01 PM   #557
floor23

despite all the bad press of lately....

Poll: 62 percent favor building rail to Ala Moana Center

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...a-moana-center

Most Oahu residents want the see the entire 20-mile rail system built all the way to Ala Moana Center. But even more people oppose raising property taxes to pay for the construction.

The Hawaii News Now-Star-Advertiser Hawaii Poll found that 62 percent favor building the entire system while only 10 percent think the project should stop at Middle Street.

"No, that's not a good idea. If we're going to start something we should finish it and finish it the right way," Aiea resident Mark Johnasen said of the Middle Street plan.

Added Carleton Yanaga of Mililani: "I think we spent enough money. And just to stop it now is going to be that much waste. And the stops like that, how many people are going to just ride it only to Middle Street."

The Middle Street option emerged earlier this year due to soaring construction costs. Mayor Kirk Caldwell said the plan would buy the city time to seek more funding from the federal government or other sources for the remaining five miles. But that proposal appears to be hurting Caldwell politically, according to experts.

Over the past 18 months, his approval rating has dropped 11 percentage points to 53 percent and he now trails former City Councilman Charles Djou in polls for the mayor's race.

"It's because of rail because now they are afraid he has become a flip-flopper about where he actually envisions rail going," said Hawaii News Now political analyst Colin Moore.

But Caldwell defended his position, saying Middle Street is just a temporary stop until the city can seek additional revenue sources.

"I'm committed to building the full 20 miles, 21 stations all the way to Ala Moana Center," Caldwell said during a mayoral forum sponsored by the Hawaii Hotel and Lodging Association on Thursday. "I didn't say stop construction. We won't even be into Middle Street until probably 2020. But I need the time to put together a funding plan for the Federal Transit Administration."

That funding plan isn't likely to include increasing property taxes. The Hawaii poll found that an overwhelming 81 percent said no to increasing property taxes for rail.

"No property taxes. I would be in favor of continuing the increase in the excise tax but property tax no," said Mililani resident Tom Hoffman.

Former Mayor Peter Carlisle is among the minority. He thinks the city should cut city programs or increasing property taxes to pay for rail.

"It could be a combination of both. It could be one the other or both," he said.

Tommy Boy, dimlys1994 liked this post
Old July 21st, 2016, 06:09 PM   #558
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26195

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...t-awarded.html

First Honolulu metro phase 2 contract awarded
21 Jul 2016

USA: Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation announced on July 19 that it had awarded a contract for the next phase of the city’s light metro line to a joint venture of Shimmick Construction, Traylor Bros and Granite Construction.

Worth $874·8m, the design-build contract covers 8·4 km of elevated alignment between Aloha Stadium and Middle Street, as well as the construction of four stations at Pearl Harbor Naval Base, Honolulu International Airport, Lagoon Drive and Middle Street

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

Tågälskaren, geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #559
Tågälskaren
Tåg, för en bättre värld

Likes (Received): 754

Rail takes center stage in Honolulu mayoral race

HONOLULU (AP) — Honolulu’s troubled rail project has become a dominant issue in the mayoral race.

Honolulu Mayor Kirk Caldwell and former Honolulu Mayor Peter Carlisle say the rail must be built to its full length[...]

dimlys1994, Tommy Boy liked this post
Tågälskaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #560
Maksima

Quote:
HI: Rail Funding, Technology Split Mayoral Candidates
Gordon Y.K. Pang On Jul 28, 2016
Source: McClatchy

July 27--Mayor Kirk Caldwell, former U.S. Rep. Charles Djou and former Mayor Peter Carlisle criticized one another for their respective positions on rail but failed to provide specific plans of their own during a forum Tuesday sponsored by the Rotary Club of Honolulu.

The major takeaways from the forum, held at the Japanese Cultural Center of Honolulu's Manoa Grand Ballroom:

>> All three candidates want the rail project to span the entire 20-mile route to Ala Moana, and are willing to try to tap federal transit dollars and the private sector for necessary funding.

>> While experts now say the $6.8 billion in projected revenues will not be enough cash under current funding mechanisms to get the rail project past Middle Street, all three agree they do not want to raise property taxes to pay for construction to Ala Moana, but offered no real plans to pay for it.

>> Djou differs from Caldwell and Carlisle in that he vowed not to seek an extension of Oahu's existing 0.5 percent surcharge on the general excise tax to pay for rail to get to Ala Moana, and appears more willing to go back to the drawing board for the Middle Street-to-Ala Moana segment. The other two candidates would prefer to see the steel-on-steel technology continue.

Copyright Mass Transit Mag. All rights reserved.
Full article here --> http://www.masstransitmag.com/news/1...ral-candidates

Tags
hart, honolulu, transporation