daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 2nd, 2016, 02:37 AM   #561
floor23

Likes (Received): 435

Permanent rail tax floated; mayor backs Ala Moana over feds’ downtown minimum
http://khon2.com/2016/08/31/permanen...ntown-minimum/

Feds: Oahu rail project must be built to Ala Moana
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...t-to-ala-moana

Feds To Honolulu: Finish Rail Route Or Give Us Back Our Money
http://www.civilbeat.org/2016/08/fed...ct-more-money/

FTA on rail route: downtown minimum, Ala Moana ideal
http://khon2.com/2016/08/30/fta-on-r...a-moana-ideal/

My take on the recent news:

We all knew that eventually the feds were gonna put their foot down and force Honolulu to live up the FFGA. Incumbent mayor Caldwell's main opponent Charles Djou who was originally against extending the GET and wanted to stop at Middle Street has now flip flopped on the issue and has said that Honolulu must build to Ala Moana. This means no matter who wins the mayoral election, they will support the GET extension for the completion of the Honolulu Rail Project.

Unfortunately I couldn't post the story from The Honolulu Star Advertiser (main newspaper on Oahu) as it is subscription only but they had the best story regarding the FTA's position. Some of these news stories say the FTA floated the idea of a downtown stop as being the minimum but the Star Advertiser made it clear that the FTA wants it built to Ala Moana according to the FFGA or Honolulu must pay back the entire $1.55 billion in federal funding.

This is good news for Rail supporters as this means the 0.5% GET will eventually be made permanent to fund the construction of the rail, as well as the operating and maintenance. While the state legislature might grumble about making it permanent I know they will extend the tax as everyone in Hawaii knows how important it is to keep in good faith with Federal Government.

Now all we have to do is wait for them get the finances in order and in 8-10 years we will finally be able to ride this rail. Its been a long journey but its good to know that the public and local government have accepted the fact that this project is the future of Oahu. The FTA's threat of making Honolulu finish or pay back the federal contribution will force rail opponents to accept that this project is here to stay and will be completed as planned.

dimlys1994, phoenixboi08, sweet-d liked this post
floor23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:45 AM   #562
floor23

dimlys1994, will101, Jthurmo2 liked this post
Old September 2nd, 2016, 01:21 PM   #563
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Honolulu Rail is one of the best transit projects under construction in US, once it opens, I bet it will be an instant success, for the following reasons:

- Honolulu is heavily congested
- the route (save the western end) goes where people want to go
- the geography of Oahu limits developable areas so there will be positive pressure to intensify development around stations
- although expensive to built, the driverless and grade-separated design means reduced operation costs, allowing high frequency service without the need for thousands of employees; it also means service can be offered late at night and on weekends without burdening the city heavily with extra personnel costs. This makes the system more attractive for people that might decide to move near a station, because they can use it not only for commute purposes
- there will be no controversies or conflicts about things like signal timing or interference with car traffic as it happens in systems like Denver or Los Angeles
Old September 4th, 2016, 07:14 AM   #564
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

Another reason is that Honolulu is a very linear urban area. A single line can effectively serve all major destinations. Therefore one of the major weaknesses of heavy rail, the high cost of future expansion, is not a very relevant concern in this case. I wonder if this line would ever be greatly extended at all, beyond a connection to UH-Manoa.

Also this is just speculation, but I wonder if the relatively high usage of public transit systems in Hawaii is partly caused by people who move there from the mainland choosing not to pay lots of $$$ to ship their car on a cargo vessel across the Pacific. Anyone affiliated with the military can get their car shipped for free, but I imagine there are plenty of other people who just don't bother with it.

Oahu is not a small island and it can take a while to drive across it, but the area around Honolulu always had good bus service and you won't be going anywhere else except on an airplane so for many it seems like a viable option.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Aaraldi liked this post
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2016, 09:22 AM   #565
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

any recent updates?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 04:15 AM   #566
miniviews

Likes (Received): 32

https://flic.kr/p/KNiF89 Hoopili station platform in progress.

https://flic.kr/p/LCrXgz UH West Oahu passageway column foundation over North-South road in progress.

20160903_104252 by miniviews, on Flickr
Final closure over H1 Pearl City viaduct poured recently.

20160903_104701 by miniviews, on Flickr
One of two heading toward Aloha Staduim from Aiea. About 0.6 miles left until Aloha Stadium.

20160831_110735 by miniviews, on Flickr
Heading #3 (2 of 2 headings) in Aiea toward Pearlridge station. About 0.35 miles left until Pearlridge station.

20160831_110649 by miniviews, on Flickr
Last 2 L-piers at Pearlridge rail station, across from Best Buy.

20160831_110632 by miniviews, on Flickr
Pearlridge rail station platform pier in progress over active roadway.

20160831_111150 by miniviews, on Flickr
Final finishing of 3 C-piers at busy Acacia/Kam Hwy intersection in Pearl City.

20160816_150539 by miniviews, on Flickr
Third pocket track at end of KHG guideway contract completed except Cast In Place of the single guideway and double guideway.

https://flic.kr/p/LGqQ2s Aloha Stadium site

https://flic.kr/p/LKpQVK Heading #3

https://flic.kr/p/KNvF9X Leeward Community College rail station, only surface station

floor23, dimlys1994, Nexis, ok2, will101 liked this post

Last edited by miniviews; September 5th, 2016 at 04:34 AM.
miniviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 07:47 AM   #567
creativenative

Likes (Received): 291

Starting over - I guess I timed out and I lost my near finished post-I hate this!

Thanks miniviews for your picts. - much appreciated. Here are some recent photos of the rail construction but first a little progress report: all rail columns are up in Pearl City and 91% of the guide way is through that town, just 7 columns to be covered. The major structure of the second cantilever bridge over the H-I freeway is complete and 98% of the maintenance yard and control center is complete. As miniview stated only about a half a mile to go to Aloha Stadium station for the major components of the rail system to be completed for phase one (over 10 miles of a total of 21 miles). One can see some of this progress in the following photos. I will lay them out from east to west (sorry some photos are facing east, some are looking west). The first photo is from the HART (Honolulu Authority for Rail Transportation) website: http://www.honolulutransit.org/

Part of East Kapolei Station from Hart website by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rare rail shot in Hoopili fields looking west 09-11-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Hoopii rail station progress 09-11-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rare rail shot in Hoopili fields looking east 09-11-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Road opened with new pavement heading east to Waipahu 08-30-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Wall going up Leeward Community College station 09-05-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

New curbings in west Pearl City 09-11-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail 2nd Cantilever bridge in Pearl City 09-11-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

2nd Cantilever bridge over H-1 freeway in Pearl City 09-11-16 2 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail Guideway east Pearl City 09-11-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail guideway heading to Aloha Statium 09-05-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Rail guideway leaving Pearl City 09-11-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Taller columns going uo heading to Aloha Statium station 09-11-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

dimlys1994, will101, miniviews, ok2, redspork02 liked this post
creativenative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:02 AM   #568
Maksima

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
HI: Broken Trust Between HART, Kiewit Detailed

MARCEL HONORE ON SEP 7, 2016
SOURCE: MCCLATCHY

Sept. 06--Acrimony between rail transit officials and the project's major contractor, Kiewit Infrastructure West, could explain why Kiewit declined to submit a bid for rail work past Aloha Stadium.

The bad blood was described in a letter from a recently fired rail consultant.

In a lengthy Aug. 28 letter to rail board Chairwoman Colleen Hanabusa and other rail leaders, former project consultant Bart Desai said that Kiewit doesn't fully trust the Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation to properly settle cost disputes.

There's a "lack of open communication" -- and plenty of acrimony, he wrote.

The Omaha, Neb.-based firm is building rail's first 10 miles under construction contracts worth more than $1 billion, and it had the equipment in place to keep building. Kiewit has never fully explained why it declined to bid on the next major stretch of construction work: 5.2 miles of guideway and four stations around the airport.

Copyright Mass Transit Mag. All rights reserved.
Copyright Star Advertiser. All rights reserved.
Full article here --> http://www.masstransitmag.com/news/1...iewit-detailed

Quote:
Tom Yamachika: Busting The Myths Of Honolulu Rail
How much does the GET surcharge add to a typical household budget? It does add up.

SEPTEMBER 5, 2016 · By Tom Yamachika

With all of the recent discussion about HART and the Honolulu rail project, there have been quite a few assertions that people have been playing fast and loose with facts. Some of the statements made by the Tax Foundation of Hawaii have been part of this discussion, so we will examine some of these “myths.” This is Part 1.

Myth or fact? You decide.

The first one that we will examine can be found in the “Mythbusters” section of HART’s website.

Myth: An average family of five will pay more than $1,000 a year extra in GET for the rail.

Fact: That is incorrect. The rail tax surcharge is already incorporated in the existing General Excise and Use Tax (GET) and amounts to ½ a penny tax on each dollar spent. If a household spends $2 on groceries, it has paid one penny ($0.01) to the rail fund. For a household to “pay more than $1,000 a year” in rail taxes a household would need to spend more than $200,000 on taxable goods and services a year.

Copyright Civil Beat. All rights reserved.
Full article here --> http://www.civilbeat.org/2016/09/tom...honolulu-rail/

dimlys1994, redspork02 liked this post
Maksima no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:41 AM   #569
creativenative

Rail Updates 11-19-2016

Traveling through Pearl City from next to Aloha Stadium to Pearl Highland (from east to west)

Pearl City Rail 2 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr
Road through Pearl City by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

And at the end of this journey is in update on the Leeward Community College station

I will be sad to see Kiewit Construction not continue this project. They are a big powerful company that gets things done. Among negative news Kiewit is getting things done on time and on budget. The two big problems with the budget woos are not delays in construction but in anti rail lawsuit delays and a tremendous cost increases due to the large construction boom in Honolulu. Yes there is some management issues like all government projects but they are underwhelming issues compared to the two I've mention. Now the rail stations (built by other contractors) are in slow mode due to under supplied crew, materials and gear, again due to the current construction boom. But we must push on - Go Rail Go!

Nexis, ok2, miniviews liked this post

Last edited by creativenative; November 21st, 2016 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old November 21st, 2016, 05:12 AM   #570
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

What is the latest update on the project? Will it be built all the way to Ala Moana?
Old November 21st, 2016, 05:24 AM   #571
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1341

So jealous of HNL.
Old November 21st, 2016, 06:52 AM   #572
floor23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
What is the latest update on the project? Will it be built all the way to Ala Moana?
Yes, it will be built all the way to Ala Moana. They just need to get the financing in order for the final stage of the project. Considering Kirk Caldwell was re-elected for Mayor, I'd say the pro-rail forces in Hawaii politics are quite strong considering all their candidates have been re-elected. Caldwell said if re-elected he would lobby the state legislature for a GET extension. I expect the state to grumble about it but eventually make the GET permanent which should have been done years ago.

It's unknown how long it will take them to finish the project though. I'd say somewhere between 2025-2030
Old November 28th, 2016, 08:42 AM   #573
swimmer_spe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Another reason is that Honolulu is a very linear urban area. A single line can effectively serve all major destinations. Therefore one of the major weaknesses of heavy rail, the high cost of future expansion, is not a very relevant concern in this case. I wonder if this line would ever be greatly extended at all, beyond a connection to UH-Manoa.
I wonder if they did that extension, if they were to tunnel to the other side? Going to Kaneohe area would show the residents that this railway is for the people of all the island, not just Honolulu.

If this line is successful (And I think it will be), other parts of the island will want a line.
swimmer_spe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 09:24 AM   #574
creativenative

12-02-2016 Updates

End of the line of phase 1 of Honolulu Rail guide way at Aloha Stadium. That is little over 10 miles of a 21 mile full system (for now). Halfway in the first phase because phases 2,3, and 4 are in the urban core of the city itself.

First photo shows the progress of the guide way on the right and the stadium on the left, so close. While work is slowly being done on the rail stations on this phase, I feel HART should of put out to bid the second phase much earlier then they did so the guide way could of continued with little interruption.

Aloha Stadium on left railway on right. Only 3 columns left. 12-02-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Aloha Stadium station on left. Almost there. 12-02-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Looking the other direction
Rail guideways reaching for the finish of the first phase of rail 12-02-2016 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

dimlys1994, Ultramatic, ok2 liked this post
Old December 28th, 2016, 06:18 PM   #575
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5791

"Honolulu rail crews set final guideway segments near Aloha Stadium"

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...-aloha-stadium

dimlys1994 liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 12:38 PM   #576
creativenative

Photos of the last guide way link

Dec. 19th, 2016
Final rail guideway 12-19-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Dec. 24th, 2016
Final rail guideway 12-19-16 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

dimlys1994, prageethSL, ok2, Jthurmo2, VmR liked this post
Old January 13th, 2017, 09:07 PM   #577
Jthurmo2
US NAVY

Likes (Received): 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
So jealous of HNL.

Dont be. In my opinion this project has been crawling and a projected enddate of 2 to 3 more years is just jaw dropping to me considering this project began a while ago.
NCAAF: U of M, Western Michigan, Ga. Southern
Jthurmo2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 05:51 AM   #578
creativenative

Rail Station Updates 04-01-17 #1

Since the 1st of 4 (but halfway) phases of rail ended lately there is not much news except for the City trying to get more funds from the State. Yes the estimated cost had doubled some due to mismanagement, much to do with anti-rail law suites and delays but most people have to realize the because of a big construction boom and the limited resources of an isolated island chain, the biggest increase to rail is construction cost inflation. The second highest in the world. I was eating the other day in the midst of the construction and two construction workers next to me were from Russia. Stop blaming the budget managers and realize while there is a high cost of construction inflation it also signifies a large boast to the general economy to Honolulu.

Here are some updates to various rail stations and odds and ends (from west to east). Progress seems slow because a skilled construction labor shortage.

First, West Oahu College Station
West Oahu College station 04-01-17 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

West Locke Station or what I call West Waipahu Station
Rail update 04-01-17 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Nice paving and curbs in central Waipahu

Always wanted to shoot this, three bridges of time in central Waipahu. Rail bridge on top.

Waipahu Station (East)

Arnorian liked this post
Old April 3rd, 2017, 06:03 AM   #579
creativenative

Rail Station Updates 04-01-17 #2

Leeward Community College Station (underground)

The new connection from the Leeward CC Station to the multi bridge over the freeway and it's various ramps

The Pearl Highlands Station (west Pearl City)
Rail updates 2 04-01-17 by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Pearlridge Station (east Pearl City)
Old April 3rd, 2017, 07:38 PM   #580
Jthurmo2
US NAVY

Likes (Received): 147

Thanks for the update I returned from deployment late February and have seen ZERO construction since my return this is becoming a sad story
NCAAF: U of M, Western Michigan, Ga. Southern
Jthurmo2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hart, honolulu, transporation