daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 30th, 2017, 04:10 AM   #621
creativenative

Likes (Received): 291

Now Waipahu Station rising

Waipahu Station update 09-28-17 north pedestrian bridges up by cre8ive na8ive, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #622
charmers

Likes (Received): 7

Seems like a new version of the old Honolulu street railway system would have been MUCH cheaper and could have served a LARGER population.

lechevallierpatrick liked this post
charmers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #623
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmers View Post
Seems like a new version of the old Honolulu street railway system would have been MUCH cheaper and could have served a LARGER population.
Well, they could, but it would be much slower. No US government/politician would accept traffic lanes being taken away and given exclusively to transit.

Plus surface transit has more frequent stops and so is intrinsinctly slower thana segregated system.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 09:09 PM   #624
floor23

Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmers View Post
I disagree. The new rail line will be within close distance of 70% of the current population on Oahu. The old honolulu streetcar only serviced urban Honolulu and was slower, more expensive, and had less route flexibility than a typical bus. The one advantage of the current rail line is that there won't be a need to expand the system as most of the population will live nearby and the majority of the future development on Oahu will be a long the planned line.

Streetcars in Honolulu would be worthless. The only 2 high capacity transit modes worth investing in on Oahu are grade separated Rail and BRT.

zaphod liked this post
floor23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 10:45 AM   #625
ArtManDoo

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor23 View Post
I disagree. The new rail line will be within close distance of 70% of the current population on Oahu. The old honolulu streetcar only serviced urban Honolulu and was slower, more expensive, and had less route flexibility than a typical bus. The one advantage of the current rail line is that there won't be a need to expand the system as most of the population will live nearby and the majority of the future development on Oahu will be a long the planned line.

Streetcars in Honolulu would be worthless. The only 2 high capacity transit modes worth investing in on Oahu are grade separated Rail and BRT.
Actually new streetcar/fast tram combination could surely be a great supplement for grade separated rail.

As for BRT, it can be a stop gap poor solution but never as good as something running on rail. Rail is way more energy efficient and gives a way more better performance and service level than BRT.

Last edited by ArtManDoo; October 1st, 2017 at 07:37 PM.
ArtManDoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2017, 08:46 AM   #626
creativenative

Likes (Received): 291

Next phase coming along.

Was traveling on Kamehameha Hwy between the airport and Aloha Stadium and witnessed a couple of big drill rigs and cylinder huge rebar cages for the new holes. Ahh like the old days with phase 1 construction. Sorry didn't have a camera.

Go rail go!
creativenative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 08:02 AM   #627
N830MH

Likes (Received): 80

Live testing to begin on Honolulu’s new urban rail system

We have a news for you!!

Quote:
The Honolulu Authority for Rapid Transportation (HART) is to begin live train testing for the new urban rail rapid transit system.
In partnership with Ansaldo Honolulu, the pair will energise the third rail to allow trains to operate on the largely elevated track on their own power for the first time.
https://www.globalrailnews.com/2017/...n-rail-system/

Right now, they are testing. It will take a while. Is scheduled to open in the year 2020. Subject to change.

ok2, Jthurmo2 liked this post
N830MH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 06:22 PM   #628
ok2

Likes (Received): 2073

Honolulu rail cars go on test run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_P-qV6x_AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txui9MpAaUQ

Old November 11th, 2017, 05:17 AM   #629
Jthurmo2
US NAVY

Likes (Received): 147

That’s a bit optimistic
NCAAF: U of M, Western Michigan, Ga. Southern
Jthurmo2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 07:58 PM   #630
floor23

TheBus to operate Kalihi-Waikiki route 24/7

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2017/1...c33e404c3ed056

Honolulu’s TheBus Route 2 connecting Kalihi to Waikiki will offer service 24 hours a day, seven days a week starting early Sunday morning.

Mayor Kirk Caldwell made the announcement at a news conference Wednesday morning at a North School Street bus stop fronting Kapalama Elementary School, along the busy route.

“It’s about helping people live better on this very small island of almost a million people,” said Caldwell. “Today we’re here to announce that Route 2 that comes right by here is going to be operating 24 hours a day, seven days a week to make sure that folks here in Kalihi can get into Waikiki and back home again without having to worry about the last bus.”

The extension of service through the night will cost the city an additional $400,000 to cover a two-hour gap between 2 a.m. and 4 a.m., bringing the annual cost of operating the route to $8.6 million. The new 24/7 bus route joins an existing one, Route 40 between Makaha and Ala Moana Center, that began 24-hour service on the same day 17 years ago.

“We’re committed, absolutely committed, to continuing to expand our bus system to make it even more vigorous, more robust,” said Caldwell, “and to make sure that we are a city in the 21st century that provides transportation alternatives to our cars.”

Route 2 runs from Kalihi Transit Center along Middle Street through Liliha, North School Street, through downtown and along Kalakaua Avenue to Kapiolani Community College and back. Currently, the route serves about 18,000 passengers on each weekday with about 20 buses.

At 2 a.m. the bus from Waikiki returning to Kalihi is always packed as riders scramble to get the last bus of the night back to Kalihi, according to Jenny Lemaota, senior vice president and deputy general manager of TheBus. “So this will give (riders) ease of mind,” she said.

Honolulu City Councilman Joey Manahan, whose district includes Kalihi, said the additional hours would mean more options and less anxiety for working families that commute on the route.

“Honolulu has become a 24-hour city,” said Jon Nouchi, deputy director of the city Department of Transportation Services.

He said the department was evaluating the entire bus system to see if there were other gaps where a few extra trips could create more 24-hour routes.

Routes 2 and 40 combined offer transportation from Makaha to Waikiki. The city estimated that the overnight Routes 2 and 40 service will make transit available for about 330,000 residents within a half-mile of the bus stops.

dimlys1994, redspork02 liked this post
Old December 26th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #631
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Any recent photos of the metrorail construction?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 10:20 AM   #632
floor23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Any recent photos of the metrorail construction?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/miniviews/

Miniviews has the best collection of rail construction photos that I'm aware of. His flickr is my go to feed when I want to see progress on the rail.

When rail comes to town I'll start taking photos, but I'm too busy(and lazy) to go out west to take photos.
Old December 28th, 2017, 03:47 AM   #633
N830MH

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor23 View Post
https://www.flickr.com/photos/miniviews/

Miniviews has the best collection of rail construction photos that I'm aware of. His flickr is my go to feed when I want to see progress on the rail.

When rail comes to town I'll start taking photos, but I'm too busy(and lazy) to go out west to take photos.
Very nice pics. It's coming along nicely. You may post a pictures on this forums. Those people who want to see it.
Old December 28th, 2017, 12:45 PM   #634
floor23

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Very nice pics. It's coming along nicely. You may post a pictures on this forums. Those people who want to see it.
Normally I'd post the photos, but since Miniviews posts here I'm not entirely sure how he feels about me posting his rail photos. His flickr allows photos to be shared, but I think he may want to post them himself. However for the sake of giving an update I'll share a few and hopefully Miniviews won't mind

20171219_101303_HDR by miniviews, on Flickr

ok2 liked this post
Old December 28th, 2017, 12:46 PM   #635
floor23

20171219_100808 by miniviews, on Flickr

dimlys1994, ok2 liked this post
Old December 28th, 2017, 12:48 PM   #636
floor23

20171213_104516_HDR by miniviews, on Flickr

Old December 28th, 2017, 12:50 PM   #637
floor23

20171212_115446 by miniviews, on Flickr

Old December 28th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #638
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2850

^ Nice to see this project moving along! Thanks for posting these pics.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:07 AM   #639
miniviews

Likes (Received): 32

floor23, I don't mind you or anyone posting photos from my flickr feed. I myself don't have the time (or too lazy) to post myself. As someone whom either bike, drive or bus past the western end of this project, I'll try to continue to follow the construction.

Shimmick/Traylor/Granite Joint Venture executing the Airport Guideway & Stations project are moving along extremely well -- quite understandable considering minimum small businesses are affected until the Lagoon Drive area and some positives of the Airport Viaduct laydown area which displaced a large homeless camp. At Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, the mornings are always an issue with gate traffic, but I haven't heard much complaint from coworkers -- yet.

For the various Western rail stations, West Loch rail station is closing in on completion with stairwells from platform in progress left, the one and only escalator installed and Kiss & Ride progressing. For Pearl Highlands rail station, lots of work ongoing for station/transit area prior to platform construction. Hoopili is progressing in sync with West Loch rail station but not much public traffic there. Not much activities for Pearlridge & Aloha Stadium station but I expect Nan, Inc. to move quicker with construction on Aloha Stadium station due to experience with West Oahu stations, with the exception of Pearlridge rail station due to platform construction in the middle of a busy highway (one of three main corridors in Aiea).

ok2 liked this post

Last edited by miniviews; January 3rd, 2018 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Station construction progress
miniviews no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:05 AM   #640
N830MH

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniviews View Post
floor23, I don't mind you or anyone posting photos from my flickr feed. I myself don't have the time (or too lazy) to post myself. As someone whom either bike, drive or bus past the western end of this project, I'll try to continue to follow the construction.
Keep eye on it! If you see any new construction out there. You may post those pictures on this forums. You may share to those people.

Tags
hart, honolulu, transporation