daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:26 PM   #121
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Because that wouldn't benefit the vast majority of residents.
There are actually plans for the rail line to be extended to Waikiki with a branch line to UH Mānoa.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2013, 12:06 AM   #122
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

The first phase is pretty lame though.

I hope they are building the later phases before the first one even finishes, because when the segment from kapolei to aloha stadium opens and has terrible ridership it's going to have to be explained to the politicos and anti-rail cretins.
zaphod está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 02:50 AM   #123
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post

There are actually plans for the rail line to be extended to Waikiki with a branch line to UH Mānoa.
Yes, but I was just talking about the first phase...
Old January 22nd, 2013, 11:07 PM   #124
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Have they considered going monorail before settling for elevated light rail?
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2013, 12:39 AM   #125
Nexarc
Shipper on Deck

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Why aren't there building a 1st phase over Waikiki beach, where most tourists stay?
The official (and logical) explaination is that the maintenance and storage yard for the trains needs to be built on wide open land. No such luck in a dense urban downtown unless you displace (and anger) a lot of people. So they are building it from the Ewa plains toward town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Have they considered going monorail before settling for elevated light rail?
The city did consider it in the screening process, but being a little used proprietary technology, all of the equipment must be custom-built by a small handful of companies rather than common off-the-shelf equipment they decided on, something that would create issues in the long run.
Nexarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #126
Suburbanist
on the road

Train model selected

Quote:
In the recent HART Joint Finance/Project Oversight Committee Meeting, Ansaldo Honolulu Joint Venture unveiled the first glimpse at the train model selected for the Honolulu rail project. The colors and logo on the outside of the train may change, but the shape of the train has been finalized.

A single two-car train can hold more passengers than five city buses amounting to roughly 400 riders. Items allowed on the trains include: bicycles, surfboards, wheelchairs, strollers, coolers, and luggage.
Source: project website.

Manitopiaaa, Ultramatic liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #127
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Seems pretty silly spending $5.5B and then just running 2 car sets on it. Hopefully the stations will be bigger to accommodate larger trains easy.
Old March 19th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #128
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Seems pretty silly spending $5.5B and then just running 2 car sets on it. Hopefully the stations will be bigger to accommodate larger trains easy.
The line will be fully automated, then they can run trains as frequent as one arrival every 85 seconds. Higher frequency is better than longer trains on automated systems without drivers.
Old March 20th, 2013, 01:43 AM   #129
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
For a fully-automated system, operating shorter trains at higher frequency brings no great operational cost penalty since staff are not needed onboard every train, and there are potential construction cost savings from reducing the required length of station platforms. Operating shorter trains at higher frequency brings significant benefits to the passengers by reducing the amount of time spent waiting for trains. If you look around the world, you can find many examples of transit lines that follow this approach, including the Copenhagen Metro, Vancouver Skytrain, and the Toulouse Metro.

Copenhagen Metro

Vancouver Skytrain

Toulouse Metro
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 06:25 PM   #130
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 849

How the rolling stock of the Honolulu Rail Transit Line compares to the rolling stock of other major U.S. cities' light rail systems: The planned two-car trainsets would be shorter than those of the light-rail systems, and probably have less passenger capacity.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:35 PM   #131
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Would you rather wait 10 minutes for a 4 car train or 5 minutes for a 2 car train?

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

FM 2258 liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2013, 07:39 PM   #132
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
How the rolling stock of the Honolulu Rail Transit Line compares to the rolling stock of other major U.S. cities' light rail systems: The planned two-car trainsets would be shorter than those of the light-rail systems, and probably have less passenger capacity.
However, frequency will be higher as the system will be driverless. So you can transport more people running more frequent trains than in most American light rail systems.
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:00 AM   #133
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:

Really? Are you kidding me. We have the worst traffic in America! Building this was suppose to help the people on the west side of the island to get to Ala Moana or the shopping mall and downtown. Reduces less traffic. Hawaiians usually spends 4-5 hours of per day in cars. When I was in Middle School I remember my friends would wake up 3 am i the morning to get up and come to school because they don't want to be caught in rush hour. My friend lives in Milliani or the middle of the island.

This project was so expensive because we can't dig underground. All parking lots are above the ground reaching up to the 8th floor. It has to be very carefully dug and put in. It could collapse. Also Hawaiians have a special rule or sacred thing about digging bones. Its disrespectful and things. Captain Cooks bones were spread around the big island for hiding when hawaiians killed him.

Next time instead of asking some silly questions like this, you can see many reasons why they are building it like this, but recently not a lot news on it. Very excited to see its completion
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #134
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetgeneral View Post
This project was so expensive because we can't dig underground. [/SIZE]
Why can't you dig underground? Superstitions aside, of course.
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #135
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 849

Costs for digging a tunnel underground would be too prohibitive.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #136
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
Why can't you dig underground? Superstitions aside, of course.

Same for our parking lot, if we dig down 2 floors in a lot of coastal places like waikiki, you will reach water. Most apartments has 1-6 floors of parking lot. Same with the tram. you can't really dig underground and put a tunnel in it. Also with the environmentalists says its also destroying nature. Also about the bones things.
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #137
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 860

I was on Vancouver's SkyTrain and the frequency is unbelievable.

Even during the day they run every 2 minutes and every 85 seconds in rush hour. Living near a SkyTrain station is like having a taxi at your door. When I just about got off the bus I saw a SkyTrain just leave going my way and by the time I got out of the train and up to the station platform there was another rolling in.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #138
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

I don't know what to think of this project. It seems to be exacerbating urban sprawl in the only part of Oahu that is both flat, empty, and not a marine corps base. The first phase doesn't really get to the city.

Why wasn't the initial stage from say, UH Manoa, to the airport with a branch to Salt Lake? Then Honolulu would bite the bullet and upzone parts of the old city.

As a non-Hawaiian, whats the deal with the old train tracks in Kapolei?

In Google Maps street view there are brand new grade crossings on some of the suburban streets, with lights and bells and everything. I thought those were just a relic, perhaps used by the US military recently enough that development in the area grew around them rather than destroying them

https://maps.google.com/?ll=21.32560...12,172.05,,0,0

Unique looking grade crossing signal too.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

Last edited by zaphod; September 6th, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old September 17th, 2013, 07:01 AM   #139
Nexarc
Shipper on Deck

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
I don't know what to think of this project. It seems to be exacerbating urban sprawl in the only part of Oahu that is both flat, empty, and not a marine corps base. The first phase doesn't really get to the city.

Why wasn't the initial stage from say, UH Manoa, to the airport with a branch to Salt Lake? Then Honolulu would bite the bullet and upzone parts of the old city.

As a non-Hawaiian, whats the deal with the old train tracks in Kapolei?

In Google Maps street view there are brand new grade crossings on some of the suburban streets, with lights and bells and everything. I thought those were just a relic, perhaps used by the US military recently enough that development in the area grew around them rather than destroying them

https://maps.google.com/?ll=21.32560...12,172.05,,0,0

Unique looking grade crossing signal too.
The Kapolei and Ewa plains were long designated for a future "second city" with Pedestrian/Transit Oriented Development principals, but rampant NIMBYism and Environmentalist groups tend to put up numerous legal roadblocks in addition to the normal bureaucratic incompetence.

The reason the project doesn't start in urban Honolulu is because they needed land for the maintenance facility but did not want to resort to eminent domain for the necessary 40 acre plot. The only options then available were next to Leeward Community College or Ho'opili.

The initial budget approved by the city council also placed a limit that prevented the project from running the full length of the 30 mile corridor. At least Ala Moana shopping center, the current western terminus, is also a major bus transfer hub with future capability to extend the line to both UH Manoa and Waikiki. Going direct to UH would have precluded Waikiki and Ala Moana extensions.

As for the Kapolei tracks and grade crossings, those are used by the Hawaiian Railroad Society, who runs a small heritage system and preserves some of the old Oahu Rail and Land Co tracks.
Nexarc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #140
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8054

Del

Tags
hart, honolulu, transporation