daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 12th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #401
KansasCityMO

Likes (Received): 2

I'm itching for the next update, can't wait to see how much it has grown.
KansasCityMO no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:00 PM   #402
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Burj Dubai will have world's highest elevator installation

BY MOUSHUMI DAS CHAUDHRY

12 March 2006

DUBAI — Burj Dubai, the tallest tower in the world will have the world's highest elevator installation and also the world's largest shopping mall, The Dubai Mall. The Observatory Elevators (double deck cabs) will have the world's highest travel distance from lowest to highest stop and will be the world's fastest at 18m/sec(40 mph).

The building service/fireman's elevator will have a capacity of 5,500 kg and will be the world's tallest service elevator. Burj Dubai will be the first mega-high rise in which certain elevators will be programmed to permit controlled evacuation for certain fire or security events. The tip of the spire can be seen by a person 95 km (60 miles) away.

Apart from this, the amount of rebar used for the tower is 31,400 metric tons laid end to end. This would extend over a quarter of the way around the world. The concrete used for the Burj Dubai is equivalent to, a solid cube of concrete 61 metres (200 ft) on a side, a sidewalk 1,900 kilometres long (1,200 miles), over five times the volume of concrete used for the CN Tower in Canada and the weight of 100,000 elephants. The curtain wall of the Burj Dubai will be equivalent to 17 football (soccer) fields or 25 American football fields.

According to Robert Booth, executive director for Emaar Properties, “History is rising. The tower is taking shape. We're moving forward and we are on schedule. This is an endeavour whose scope and magnitude reflects the ambitions of the city of Dubai. Our plans and projections are rapidly becoming reality and the moment is not far away when we will see the full scale of our spectacular Downtown Dubai projects emerging.’’

The iconic signature tower is part of Dh73 billion urban development in the heart of Dubai spreading across 500 acres and is a combination of residential and commercial space. It will include a boutique hotel, recreational facilities and entertainment venues, serviced residences and apartments . The tower is due for completion by 2008.

The Burj Dubai's water system will supply an average of about 946,000 litres(250,000 gallons) of water per day. At the peak cooling times, the tower will require approximately 10,000 tons of cooling per hour, which is equivalent to the capacity provided by 10,000 tons (22.4 million lbs or 10.2 million kg) of melting ice in one day.

The tower will also have a condensate collection system which will use the hot and humid outside air, combined with the cooling requirements of the building and will result in a significant amount of condensation of moisture from the air. This condensed water will be collected and drained in a separate piping system down to a holding tank located in the basement car park.

This water will then be pumped into the site irrigation system for use on the tower's landscape plantings. This system will provide about 15 million gallons of supplemental water per year, equivalent to nearly 20 Olympic-sized swimming pools.

The tower's peak electricity demand is estimated at 36 kVA, equivalent to roughly 360,000 100-watt light bulbs all operating at the same time. There will be 200 mtrs of spectacular dancing fountains at the foot of the Burj Dubai.

The tower will house the first Armani Hotel and will be surrounded by The Old Town, The Dubai Mall, Burj Dubai Business Hub, Burj Views, Burj Dubai Boulevard, The Residences, restaurants, hotels, residential facilities and much more - all located on the banks of a spectacular man-made lake.

The tower once completed will cover 22 million square feet of total development and will include 30,000 homes, 9 world-class hotels,19 residential towers , 6 acres of parkland and 12 hectare Burj Dubai Lake.

-----

some insane figures there
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #403
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1377

Well it's no wonder because such systems are very necessary for such building and even if there wasn't anything like that, it would be developed
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #404
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2674

Great diagram Malec!
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #405
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

lol, I forgot the emirates towers. Here you go:

malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #406
TGSwimFly

Likes (Received): 0

Hypothetically, if there was a serious fire in the tower, would people have to descend 160 floors of emergency stairs? That would be insane.

Sorry this is a little unrelated but curiousity struck.
TGSwimFly no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 05:48 AM   #407
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3423

It's called hang gliders or parachutes!!!
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 07:44 AM   #408
MandarinManMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGSwimFly
Hypothetically, if there was a serious fire in the tower, would people have to descend 160 floors of emergency stairs?
Well, some buildings have fire resistant elevators and shafts, and some have fireproof "refuge" floors... does anyone know what the Burj Dubai system for fire safety is?
MandarinManMark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #409
Burj Duboy

Concearned with the fact that evacuation from a 160-story building in case of fire could take just too long, the Burj Dubai engineers have come with three alternative methods to accelerate evacuation in case of the building catching fire and have made the architectural project accordingly:

1) The setbacks are in reality helipads and the first twelve of them (from bottom to top) can accomodate one helicopter each. If you consider one helicopter capable of transporting ten passengers and give, lets say, ten minutes for a chop to land, for boarding and take-off, simple calculation shows us that in one hour 720 people of average weight (75 kilos) can evacuate the building.

2) The whole Burj Dubai complex is surrounded by a 20 feet deep lake that can be used for people to jump. The engineers and architects were very ingenious by introducing the lake in the design in my opinion as water has the property of not only diminishing the impact of someone aproaching it at high velocity as it extinguishes the fire if your clothes happens to be ablaze.

3) The spire you see in all the renderings and that elevates the height of the building to unprecedent numbers is in reality the longest pole ever (yes, another world beater for Burj Dubai) and penetrates the core of the building way down to the basement. This pole will be covered with oil (Dubai authorities are already devising alternatives for when UAE oil reserves are extinguished, butter is in consideration) to facilitate and speed up people sliding. This evacuation method although the most fun for the user is, in my opinion, the one with the smallest evacuation rate as a 10 seconds leap must be mantained between descents to prevent people from hitting each other. This adds up to a 6 persons per minute or a 360 persons per hour rate, compared to the 720 persons per hour helicopter rate or the unlimited jump/lake rate.
Burj Duboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #410
Peter The Great

Likes (Received): 9

^
That is some crazy shit. However, you'd think that jumping in the lake would not be a good idea from anything above 100 stories...surely you'd die on impact?

Also, will tourists be able to slide down the poll just for fun?
Peter The Great no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 04:49 PM   #411
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3423

The pole has to be not serious. What is the point in having a pole when you'd probably reach terminal velocity on the way down and you'd be better off freefalling??
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #412
Peter The Great

Likes (Received): 9

^ A pole provides friction and opposition to gravity if you strattle it and grip it...you can control the velocity at which you slide. But I was thinking...why don't they make a huge spiral water slide...that would be fun.
Peter The Great no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #413
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

What bullshit

The only serious point is the one about the choppers that may be able to get onto the setbacks
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #414
engiNerd

There are problems with the helicopter plan too though. The WTC were designed to have helicopters land on the roof and evacuate people above a certain floor (I don't remember the floor number though). But would have been impossible even if the airspace restrictions were not in place because of the updrafts caused by the heat of the fire. The helicopter rescue idea is not possible in the case of a fire if its below the pad area. Maybe the different setback "petals" would allow the fire to be on one side though and a helicopter on the other.

But seriously, bullshit aside, what are the expected fire safety features of the building? I would be curious to know, because in the U.S., the elevators are only accessble by the fire departments, and may not be used as a means of egress. And even the fire departments sometimes won't use the elevators if the fire is too strong because of the concern for backdraft from the flames and the pressure difference between the elevator shaft and the rest of the floor.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."
engiNerd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 07:18 PM   #415
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

bullshit.

jumping from 600m?

oil pole?

a heli landing so close to the building..never...

Last edited by dubaiflo; March 13th, 2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #416
dazz

he was clearly joking!
dazz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 08:40 PM   #417
The-Real-Link
The-Real-Link!!

Likes (Received): 300

Although the ideas were an enjoyable read, I too am curious to learn (aside from the thick shear walls), what unique fire suppression systems BD is utilizing. The helicopter idea at first sounded good but are the ends of the lobes even big enough for that? Secondly, if the smoke was thick, would there be any way for the pilots to see where they'd be landing? On the other hand, creating a way for the public to use elevators in a safe way in case of a fire I would think is a good step (if controlled carefully) for something so high.

That is going to be a lot of stairs to climb!
The-Real-Link no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #418
Burj Duboy

Obviously I was joking!
Burj Duboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 09:59 PM   #419
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

ok i thought since it was just your 2nd post you were some mock up 'i am working for SOM' guy
Old March 14th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #420
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10147

off net