daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #481
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258
That thing looks pretty cool. What is a folly used for? I've never seen one of these or heard of the word "folly" used for a building.
LOL

Wow this building would be enormous ,
IMO i don't like Dubai
Castle_Bravo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:20 AM   #482
Woko

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
I cant believe how fast its growing !, day by day!!
For sure that it's growing fast!! It's easy when we exploit Indian and Chinese workers for a tiny price and that we take their passport for that they can't return to their country. When we said her, when we recruit them in the poorest villages of India or China, that they will have a good life and that their wages will directly go to her familly and that we didn't do it. For sure that it will be growing fast.

They are not very expensive, so we buy some others for working during the night.

That's like Dubai works and why the city growing fast like that.
Woko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #483
Mr. Maciek

at this rate when can we expect completion?
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #484
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

- Asian workers are paid more then they would in their own countries (the salaries $200 - $300 + accomodations, are loughable but still more then back home).

- Yes passports are retained by their employers, but unless you know life in Dubai and the population composure, you can never understand why it is done.

- No one is promissing them heaven on earth and they know what they are going intoo.

- Working conditions are better then in their home countries (still not good though)

- To no one is promissed money to go directly to their families. Their are paid in Dubai. (It has happened that they don't get paid for months, but that is another story)

- Get your facts streight so your ranting would have any value.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:54 AM   #485
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maciek
at this rate when can we expect completion?
The tower is supposed to be finished on Dec 31st 2008. Could be a couple of months after though, since this is going where no other tower has gone before
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:58 AM   #486
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woko
For sure that it's growing fast!! It's easy when we exploit Indian and Chinese workers for a tiny price and that we take their passport for that they can't return to their country. When we said her, when we recruit them in the poorest villages of India or China, that they will have a good life and that their wages will directly go to her familly and that we didn't do it. For sure that it will be growing fast.

They are not very expensive, so we buy some others for working during the night.

That's like Dubai works and why the city growing fast like that.
In some dodgy companies there are a good few problems such as workers not receiving their pay for a while, etc. At least things are now improving with the protests that took place last year.

Let's not talk about this here though. Open a new thread in the skybar or something
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:59 AM   #487
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot

Mark my words.

Gonna happen.

Archive this thread.

All Dubai forumers unhappy with their length or girth will have to resort to surgery.

Abuse? There's an aerial photo of a palm tree in the new Webster's.
Did you send your poser car for repair becouse it hit a pothole and damaged the poser ///M3 style front spoiler and the fake M-style rims?
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #488
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
ive worked out it will have risen apprx 30 levels by sept, thus lev64 wil be reached or 220m high.
i reckon it will be 80 levls or 280m by xmas.
cheese
So the question would be, when will be tallest on the world? (passing Taipei 101)
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #489
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle_Bravo
IMO i don't like Dubai
so? and any reason?
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #490
jai_gandhi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

First you said so like you dont care, then you ask him for the reason.
jai_gandhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #491
Woko

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD

- Asian workers are paid more then they would in their own countries (the salaries $200 - $300 + accomodations, are loughable but still more then back home).

- Yes passports are retained by their employers, but unless you know life in Dubai and the population composure, you can never understand why it is done.

- No one is promissing them heaven on earth and they know what they are going intoo.

- Working conditions are better then in their home countries (still not good though)

- To no one is promissed money to go directly to their families. Their are paid in Dubai. (It has happened that they don't get paid for months, but that is another story)

- Get your facts streight so your ranting would have any value.

You're from Dubai, so you probably know the indian workers' super clean camps out of the city. You know, the camps where they are 5 workers in a 4m by 4m room.
And the Chinese workers' beautiful tents in the desert too, out of where the tourists go. Is those conditions are good??

In facts, one indian worker per week commits suicide and it's only for the indians.

The construction company says that they don't let the workers work when the temperature exceeds 35 degrees celcius, and you probably know that the temperature of Dubai on the top of a tower, under the sun, often exceed 45 degrees. Are the workers stop working?

And i will be surprised to learn that they know, when they accept the job, that there is no insurances when when they are wounded. And the good conditions of where they will live

And btw, their maximum salairies are between 160 to 180 euros. I'm not very very good in finance, but i don't think that it's $200 - $300 like you said.

What I write is not really for you, you can see that everyday. And i don't understand why you deny that.
Woko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #492
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Could someone please tell me how much floor space this tower has? And could you give the source please. I'm just curious
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:18 PM   #493
Arch
Charley says

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
That thing looks pretty cool. What is a folly used for? I've never seen one of these or heard of the word "folly" used for a building.
That's because your American.
Arch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #494
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Dave
So the question would be, when will be tallest on the world? (passing Taipei 101)
only a guess but maybe 2 more years? or when it reaches 150th floor?
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #495
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woko
You're from Dubai, so you probably know the indian workers' super clean camps out of the city. You know, the camps where they are 5 workers in a 4m by 4m room.
And the Chinese workers' beautiful tents in the desert too, out of where the tourists go. Is those conditions are good??
Their condition isnt very good but it isnt that bad either.

The government introduced a system and a free number for the labourer to complain and put advertizements all over those camps to tell them about their rights.

Quote:
In facts, one indian worker per week commits suicide and it's only for the indians.
lol, that is exaggeration.

Anyway, we have over 200,000-300,000 construction worker.

Quote:
The construction company says that they don't let the workers work when the temperature exceeds 35 degrees celcius, and you probably know that the temperature of Dubai on the top of a tower, under the sun, often exceed 45 degrees. Are the workers stop working?
That is why the government banned them from working from a specific timing after noon.

Quote:
And i will be surprised to learn that they know, when they accept the job, that there is no insurances when when they are wounded. And the good conditions of where they will live
I dont know if all companies have insurance system, but I know that the govenrment will force a new insurance system for everyone.

Quote:
And btw, their maximum salairies are between 160 to 180 euros. I'm not very very good in finance, but i don't think that it's $200 - $300 like you said.
They have contracts with their companies, no one is forcing them. They have free housing, transportation and health care as far as I know. Those who doesnt are an expection.

As someone have said, if u want to disucss it create another thread in Sky Bar

Last edited by smussuw; March 16th, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
smussuw está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #496
Wajid H.

Likes (Received): 1

It's amazing to see how this building is growing day by day.
Wajid H. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:42 PM   #497
Wajid H.

Likes (Received): 1

I think it's time to open a new thread. You can continue in this thread.

Last edited by Wajid H.; March 16th, 2006 at 06:02 PM.
Wajid H. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM   #498
Starscraper
Ouch

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Follies are buildings that serve no real purpose. Most of the were built in the 18th and 19th centuries by rich landowners looking to add something to their estates. This one is called Horton Tower and is about 10 miles north of Poole in Dorset. It was built in the 1700's and nobody really knows its purpose. Some say it was an observatory, othesr say it was used to look for deer during the hunting season.

Heres a good site about the Follies in England: http://www.follies.btinternet.co.uk/

Last edited by Starscraper; March 16th, 2006 at 06:02 PM.
Starscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #499
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai_gandhi
First you said so like you dont care, then you ask him for the reason.

did i ?

guys the workers issue has been discussed 100 times now, and if you can't believe what people who actually live in dubai, both emirati and european, r saying, then please open a thread in skybar and we can discuss that again.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #500
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
only a guess but maybe 2 more years? or when it reaches 150th floor?
Thanks Culwulla!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote