daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Old February 1st, 2006, 03:54 AM   #1
NCC1701D

Likes (Received): 9

Carpark fee plan to beat gridlock

Carpark fee plan to beat gridlock
Natalie Gregg
31jan06
SHOPPING centre giant Westfield is considering charging for parking to ease traffic pressure on its properties.

The group may introduce parking fees at its Garden City centre in Brisbane's south.

Westfield does not charge parking at any of its Queensland shopping centres, but a handful of centres in Sydney have introduced parking fees.

Garden City customers and retailers were recently asked in a survey their views on paid parking at the centre.

Those Westfield centres in Sydney that charge for parking offer shoppers two to three hours free before fees apply.

Westfield spokeswoman Julia Clarke said yesterday Westfield Garden City was experiencing "parking pressure" and paid parking would protect car spaces for shoppers.

She said Westfield was not considering introducing paid parking in any other Queensland centre.

"It makes sure commuters or anyone else who are not shoppers are not using the parks," she said.

"Westfield Garden City has some pressures on its parking, especially because it is near a transport hub.

"(Parking fees) are being investigated to seek feedback from shoppers. We wouldn't introduce it lightly and it is not imminent.

"We don't want to chase shoppers away. We want to strike a fine balance to make sure they can actually get a park, and research is part of that."

The possible move is opposed by Brisbane City Council which says commuters who might use the centre's 5000 spaces were also likely to be people who shopped there.

Wishart councillor Graham Quirk, who represents the Garden City area, said parking fees were unnecessary and warned they lead to more congestion on surrounding streets.

"I question the necessity of it . . . I don't believe there are parking pressures at Garden City with the exception of Christmas time," Cr Quirk said.

Brisbane City Council has about 140 park-and-ride spaces at the Upper Mt Gravatt (Garden City) Busway Station.

Retailers said they feared they could lose customers if Garden City introduced parking fees.

Pet Paradise owner Erin Gartner said her business would suffer. "People are not going to pay to park if they want to come in and get something small like a dog toy," Ms Gartner said.
NCC1701D no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 1st, 2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Neo

Likes (Received): 0

I don't think this will go down to well. People will end up shopping at Carindale (which has parking issues of its own).

I'm sure they'll have that deal that if you buy something they will validate your parking, which would be OK I guess. But still a hassle.
Neo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:40 AM   #3
finn

Likes (Received): 629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I don't think this will go down to well. People will end up shopping at Carindale (which has parking issues of its own).

I'm sure they'll have that deal that if you buy something they will validate your parking, which would be OK I guess. But still a hassle.
Carindale is a Westfield as well, so I guess it won't do any harm to Westfield if shoppers go there instead.
finn está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 05:23 AM   #4
ABS
Captain Awesome

Likes (Received): 6

Anything that sends customers away from Westfield Garden City is fine by me!

Although the management were already doing this by having shopping hours from the 1950s, kiosks squeezed into every last space, blocking off access through the centre after 6pm forcing Coles and Woolworths customers to walk around the outside. Quite frankly they are a bunch of incompetent morons who couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag.
ABS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 05:49 AM   #5
Aussie Steve

Likes (Received): 68

What is the source of this article?

Don't worry, I found out its the The Courier-Mail

Last edited by Aussie Steve; February 1st, 2006 at 06:00 AM.
Aussie Steve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 05:59 AM   #6
NCC1701D

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Steve
What is the source of this article?
Courier Mail - Carpark fees
NCC1701D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 08:22 AM   #7
ABS
Captain Awesome

The management of Westfield Garden City are great at shooting themselves in the foot and this is no exception. I welcome the move to charge for parking. Garden City has become terrible since Westfield took over...

The only exception is Westfield Helensvale which is actually quite a nice shopping centre.
Old February 1st, 2006, 09:59 AM   #8
Macca-GC
Robert Owen Fan!

Likes (Received): 43

^u reckon??? I find Helensvale boring. It's just one big long mall of stores. It's fairly small too, only about 80-100 stores, no undercover parking. IT'S 300m FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER!!!!! And, although I prefer the types of stores they have at Helensvale, honestly I'd rather shop at Pac Fair.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:16 AM   #9
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABS
Anything that sends customers away from Westfield Garden City is fine by me!

Although the management were already doing this by having shopping hours from the 1950s, kiosks squeezed into every last space, blocking off access through the centre after 6pm forcing Coles and Woolworths customers to walk around the outside. Quite frankly they are a bunch of incompetent morons who couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag.
Yep - I agree totally.

Years ago I used to go to Carindale when they were owned by Suncorp. There was always something going on, entertainment in the centre stage, buskers everywhere. It was great. Now all that centre stage has been taken up with temporary-like shops and kiosks. Every last space has been used up and gone are the buskers and entertainment.
Old February 1st, 2006, 10:51 AM   #10
nagelixin
Sissy that Walk

Likes (Received): 13

Suncorp still own part Carindale, however management rights are now with Westfield - unfortunately.
nagelixin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 02:35 PM   #11
ABS
Captain Awesome

Westfield Helensvale is nice because it isn't anything like a Westfield shopping centre. It doesn't have kiosk squeezed into every last vacant space and it doesn't have the Westfield corporate look. While Helensvale may be boring, and I totally agree that it is boring, at least it has none of the features that make people despise Westfield so much.
Old February 1st, 2006, 02:48 PM   #12
castrovalva

Likes (Received): 259

Is Westfield a victim of its own success?
Old February 1st, 2006, 03:38 PM   #13
ABS
Captain Awesome

I think Westfiled are a victim of their own draconian and shit management. Any other shopping centre in QLD lets you move between the major retailers till just after 9pm. At Garden City there are too many kiosk resulting in the closure of the centre at 6pm with restricted access to Coles and Woolworths via the nearest entrance only. Bloody pathetic!
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:20 PM   #14
Neo

After living in a Victorian town for 15 months, population 10,000 - I damn well appreciate access to a major shopping centre like either Garden City or Carindale.

People will always bitch about something. These centres became so popular because they were good - and it is this expansion that has caused the problems. Not unlike the growth of a major city.

And that stuff about restricting access to the centre after hours for only supermarket access - this happens in every state by most shopping centre chains. (Well, at least I've seen it happen if four different states, all different centre chains). It's simple logic.

If you don't like them, go to freakin' Mt Gravatt Plaza.
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:31 PM   #15
ABS
Captain Awesome

Look at other major non-Westfield shopping centres for an example of good management. Sunnybank Plaza has Coles and Kmart open till 9pm weeknights and because the building isn't filled with kiosks you can move around the centre. There are cinemas open till late, cafes outside open till 10pm weeknights, McDonalds open till 1am with a 24hr drive through.

Mount Ommaney Shopping Centre has Coles, Woolworths, Kmart, Big W open till 9pm weeknights. Although no cinemas and the food court shuts before 6pm.

In both cases you can move around the centre during the regulated trading hours without having to walk around the outside and get mugged.
Old February 1st, 2006, 04:49 PM   #16
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABS
Look at other major non-Westfield shopping centres for an example of good management. Sunnybank Plaza has Coles and Kmart open till 9pm weeknights and because the building isn't filled with kiosks you can move around the centre. There are cinemas open till late, cafes outside open till 10pm weeknights, McDonalds open till 1am with a 24hr drive through.

Mount Ommaney Shopping Centre has Coles, Woolworths, Kmart, Big W open till 9pm weeknights. Although no cinemas and the food court shuts before 6pm.

In both cases you can move around the centre during the regulated trading hours without having to walk around the outside and get mugged.
At 11pm at night with all the shops closed you're probably more likely to get mugged inside than out.

I don't think kioks have much to do with it - I've seen shopping centres that have none and still close up - and also most kioks are lockable nowadays.