daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2007, 06:48 AM   #41
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Another rendering

Looks like they tried to include Trump for some reason
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #42
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Another rendering
That's a lot better than the original design. I'm glad to see they got rid of that strange black covering. Btw, I don't think this one is still in site prep anymore.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #43
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

The good news is: even though we havent' heard jack about this project in the longest time, I can confirm that work is still going on. I know a guy who is handling all the marketing materials and branding for the hotel.

BTW - WIT stands for Whatever It Takes. Horrible.
Old April 14th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #44
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
The good news is: even though we havent' heard jack about this project in the longest time, I can confirm that work is still going on. I know a guy who is handling all the marketing materials and branding for the hotel.

BTW - WIT stands for Whatever It Takes. Horrible.
"Work" as in "were still actively trying to sell units" work or site prep-type work?
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 08:10 PM   #45
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Well, I don't know what's going on with the building, per-say, but, I know that they haven't cancelled the creation of their branding strategy. So, that would lead me to believe that everything is at least still progressing (or, not regressing at the very least).
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #46
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
BTW - WIT stands for Whatever It Takes.
Well, that bodes well for the eventual construction of the building.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #47
ChicagoNight

Likes (Received): 4

I wish that band was white, black or silver instead of that goofy yellow. sigh.
ChicagoNight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #48
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I don't. It's sort of Times Square-ish, without being totally overdone.

Certain areas in a city should have architecture that's a bit frenetic to reflect the frenetic pace of the shops and streets surrounding.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2007, 09:14 PM   #49
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Saw a drilling rig on-site yesterday, with fresh dirt around the hole. Guessing that soil testing has started.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:19 AM   #50
Retrograde
Chicago

May 21, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #51
i_am_hydrogen
muted

I noticed some activity on the site today during lunch, possibly soil testing.

From SSP - It confirms a height of 26 floors:

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
June 28, 2007

Exec who made first sale at 16 designs a real estate career
By Alby Gallun
http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=25492

Rendering of the Wit, to be built at State and Lake streets.

Scott Greenberg cut his first real estate deal at age 16, when he sold a small matchbox house in Denver for $30,000. Mr. Greenberg put up the “For Sale” sign on a Sunday morning, held an open house that afternoon and had a signed contract by the end of the day.

“It seemed like a nice way to make money,” he recalls.

Mr. Greenberg, 48, is working on deals with a lot more zeroes these days. His Lincolnshire-based development firm, ECD Co., is beginning construction on the Wit, a $100-million, 238-room hotel at the northeast corner of State and Lake streets in the Loop. He plans to follow that project with two hotels under Starwood Hotels & Resorts Inc.’s Aloft brand, one in the South Loop and the other in Lincolnshire. And he’s scouting locations in the Southwest United States for other hospitality-related developments.

Since it was founded in 1965 by Mr. Greenberg’s father, Gerald, ECD has developed storage facilities in Denver, apartments in Florida and a shopping center in Lincolnshire. But the company nowadays is focusing more on hotels, a hot sector for investors and developers amid a strong market for business and leisure travel.

Mr. Greenberg aims to appeal to both segments with the Wit, with its proximity to the central business district and Millennium Park. The hotel will be just down the street from Block 37, the large retail, office and residential project under construction across from Macy’s State Street store.

“It’s the bull’s-eye location for hotels,” says Mr. Greenberg, ECD’s co-owner and president.

An $82-million loan for the project from Capmark Finance Inc. closed last week, and work has begun at the site, which was cleared last year.

The Wit, which is scheduled to open in 2009, will compete with hotels like the Westin River North, the Sofitel Chicago Water Tower and the Conrad Chicago. Designed by Chicago-based architect Jackie Koo, the 26-story building will be part of the Doubletree chain and include two restaurants, a rooftop lounge and a stadium-style theater for business meetings.

ECD gets credit for placing a bigger emphasis on design than other developers do, even for less-expensive hotels, says Roger Hill, CEO of the Gettys Group Inc., a Chicago-based hotel design and consulting firm. One example: a 185-room Fairfield Inn & Suites at 216 E. Ontario St. that the company finished six years ago.

Mr. Greenberg “really did a good job of packing a lot of good design in a small space and it’s paid off in spades for him,” says Mr. Hill, whose firm has no business ties to ECD. “Regrettably, a lot of developers just focus on trying to do a project as inexpensively as possible and not understanding that if they’d just spend 5% more up front, they might get 10% more in value when it comes time to exit.”

Growing up in Denver as the son of a developer, Mr. Greenberg seemed destined for a career in real estate. He got his real estate sales license at age 16 and his broker’s license at 18. In addition to homes, he sold a few industrial buildings while in college, helping pay his way through Claremont Men’s College, now Claremont McKenna College, in California.

Yet Mr. Greenberg’s first job after graduation was in politics, answering constituent mail and phone calls in Colorado Sen. William Armstrong’s Washington, D.C., office. Realizing he had “very little ability to make a meaningful impression on the world,” he quit after nine months to get his MBA at Columbia University in New York.

He returned to real estate after his graduation, taking a job in acquisitions with Skokie-based Balcor/American Express Co. He joined ECD two years later.

Mr. Greenberg still talks every day with his 77-year-old father, who lives in Denver and remains the firm’s CEO.

With three Chicago-area hotels in the works, the company is betting that the local hotel market, currently having its best year since 1990, will stay strong for the foreseeable future. But a slew of other developers also have projects in the works: Elmhurst-based hotel consultant Theodore Mandigo estimates that in downtown alone about 7,700 new hotel rooms are under construction or on the drawing board.

Though Mr. Mandigo predicts that only about half of those rooms will ultimately get built, Mr. Greenberg acknowledges the possibility of a future glut.

Developing hotels has “suddenly become fashionable,” he says. “Supply is an issue in Chicago, and we hope that supply and demand stay in balance.”
Old June 28th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #52
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

^ Nice, too bad they couldn't make it all glass.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 07:07 PM   #53
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I also noticed that they had reconfigured the fence and sidewalk around the site. Looks like this one is definately under way (finally!).
Old August 9th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #54
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they've been drilling caissons on the site for at least a week.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #55
Retrograde
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure they've been drilling caissons on the site for at least a week.
July 30, 2007

Old August 12th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #56
Jarenz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1303

the design is unique....
Jarenz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #57
Retrograde
Chicago

August 17, 2007

Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:28 PM   #58
Retrograde
Chicago

September 21, 2007

Old September 23rd, 2007, 12:14 AM   #59
Chicagophotoshop
Chicago Photographer

Likes (Received): 14

thanks for the update. and all your updates.
Old September 26th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #60
Retrograde
Chicago

September 25, 2007