daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Airports and Aviation

Airports and Aviation All about taking us higher

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old February 2nd, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 1

Atlanta's runway over the highway

Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson Airport has been building a additional fifth parallel runway which will be 9000' long. It will allow simultaneous take offs and landings of five planes at a time. Either 3 landing with 2 taking off or 2 landing with 3 taking off. This will help to decrease the amount of time that planes spend waiting in line to take off with their engines burning up precious aviation fuel.

The tricky part was finding room for this fifth parallel runway. It was eventually decided that the South side of the airport would be the location, mainly because Delta Airlines has its headquarters buildings on the North side of the airport and what Delta says in Atlanta usually becomes law!!

Runway 10/28 is due to come on line sometime this year.

Here are two pics I took, while driving sober, of the runway under construction and a third pic I took, while driving on a mixture I call "amphetadreams" (patent pending). The runway will go over a section of the I-285 Perimeter highway. It is currently 10 lanes across but there will be enough room for a possible build-out to 18 lanes.

1-17-2005 : Concrete supports for the runway's section over I-285.

10-30-2005 : Flyover photo of the fifth runway (red dirt) taking shape just south of the terminals and four current runways. Note the taxiway from 10/28 which will force traffic to and from that runway to cross two active runways to get to the terminals. Pilots are going to love this feature.

11-2005 : Closeup pics of 10/28 construction further along. The turnoff to the terminals is on the right size of the runway:

Last edited by Nick in Atlanta; February 5th, 2006 at 02:19 AM.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old February 3rd, 2006, 01:38 AM   #2
Bitxofo
¡Viva el metro!

Location: Alderaan BCN BKK ATH PAR LON SYD SFO CPT TYO SCL CHC BUE SCG SVQ AGP BDN
Likes (Received): 336

Also in Amsterdam Airport there is a runway over a motorway!
川添 Kawazoe (riverside) 海斗 Kaito (big dipper of the ocean), in Japanese.
Yo si la ciudad no tiene metro, como que no es gran ciudad y entonces ya paso de vivir allí. Norreport+12000
Bitxofo no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:24 AM   #3
Rene Nunez
InsaneNuYawka

Likes (Received): 0

Was that highway that goddam important?Geesh car dependency in America sure is a bitch isnt it....
Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:28 AM   #4
Kai Tak
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Nunez
Was that highway that goddam important?Geesh car dependency in America sure is a bitch isnt it....
Atlanta is the quintessence of urban sprawl run amuck.

Wasn't this runway first proposed back in the 70s? And now they're finally close to finishing it...
Kai Tak no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:22 AM   #5
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Tak
Atlanta is the quintessence of urban sprawl run amuck.
The airport is on the southside of Atlanta and is only 9 miles from downtown. It is served by a MARTA station which allows you to take the train right into the terminal.

There is very little urban sprawl near the south side of the airport. The airport just happens to be bordered on its south side by the perimeter highway which is used to keep through traffic from driving through the city.

In order to decrease the length of time that planes spend burning fuel and spewing carbon monoxide while waiting in line to take-off, a fifth runway was proposed in the 1990s. It only gained real momentum in the late 90's.

You know Kai Tak, I really have no ******* idea why you are bitching about this. And to tell you the truth I don't care.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:19 AM   #6
Kai Tak
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick in Atlanta
You know Kai Tak, I really have no ******* idea why you are bitching about this. And to tell you the truth I don't care.
.... Wow.
Kai Tak no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:22 AM   #7
HoustonTexas
Nassau Bay

Nick in Atlanta: He was just stating the obvious, you shouldn't get so defensive!

Myspace
HoustonTexas no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:55 AM   #8
Kai Tak
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexas
Nick in Atlanta: He was just stating the obvious, you shouldn't get so defensive!
I'm learning quickly my dry sense of humor and sometimes cynical attitude reverberate pretty poorly in lines of text. Please, no one should take it personally! I'm here to have fun! I'm not a psycho who joins forums to irritate others...

So... With regards to the "urban sprawl" and length of time it took to build this runway, I was referring to a common dilemma that all urban airports in the United States face when trying to expand. And Hartsfield-Jackson's fifth runway project is a perfect example of how difficult it can be.

It is true that this runway is something close to thirty years in the making! It was first proposed as a much shorter runway, to ease congestion at the airport due to the rise in popularity of regional turboprop aircraft. Being a shorter length meant it would have fit inside the airport's property at the time. Environmentalists and community leaders were impressed by the fact it posed very little impact on the surrounding community, so the project from their standpoint was given the go-ahead very quickly!

Unfortunately, it takes years to get a project like this approved by the FAA. In fact it took so long, that by the time it was approved, regional jets had taken the place of turboprops. The plan had to go back to the drawing board, because the runway would now have to be longer and would require land acquisition! The same people who favored the original plan staunchly opposed the bigger runway, saying it would increase noise and air pollution to unacceptable levels.

So after years of legal battles and another round of approvals by the FAA, the fifth runway has finally come to the point where it will be complete this year. And that's where things stand today!
Kai Tak no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:26 AM   #9
mr_storms

looks nice, glad to see they are added another runway. When I took off there there was a massive take off line, same with landing too. They really need the extra capacity
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #10
Nick in Atlanta

@Kai Tak: There are a lot of Atlanta based forumers who don't even post outside of the Southeast forum and I have'nt asked any, but my guess is that it's because you are always hit with crap about Atlanta being the "quintessence of urban sprawl run amuk" or something of that sort. Basically, when you spend time to put together a thread on an engineering project that is actually quite amazing, it gets frustrating when you have to defend Atlanta's "love of cars." Has no one heard about staying on the topic!! There are other places to discuss Atlanta and it's cars.

In my opinion, this thread should be about it's subject which is a 9000' foot runway that is being built simultaneously that a major highway is in operation. As far as I know they never even limited the lanes on the highway for a short period of time. That's what this thread is about. That's why it's in the Aviation forum.
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #11
Kai Tak
BANNED

Quote:
There are a lot of Atlanta based forumers who don't even post outside of the Southeast forum and I have'nt asked any, but my guess is that it's because you are always hit with crap about Atlanta being the "quintessence of urban sprawl run amuk" or something of that sort. Basically, when you spend time to put together a thread on an engineering project that is actually quite amazing, it gets frustrating when you have to defend Atlanta's "love of cars." Has no one heard about staying on the topic!! There are other places to discuss Atlanta and it's cars.

In my opinion, this thread should be about it's subject which is a 9000' foot runway that is being built simultaneously that a major highway is in operation. As far as I know they never even limited the lanes on the highway for a short period of time. That's what this thread is about. That's why it's in the Aviation forum.
Did you not read my post above? I explained my initial comments and why they weren't ment at insulting, but rather how they apply to the situation of expanding Hartsfield!

I know people often blow a gasket in the local forums when someone irritates them. I don't know why, and I don't care why either! As I explained, I wasn't knocking your city, I was explaining the situation with runway five. You wanna run your mouth off at people in your local forum? Fine with me! But leave that "on-edge" snapping at others trash there too!

There's no need for that here, it's unwanted, and will not be understood. COOL YOUR JETS!!!
Kai Tak no está en línea  
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #12
Bertez

Wow....that is cool
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:13 AM   #13
Nick in Atlanta

@Kai Tak: Maybe Atlanta's crazy urban sprawl did have a slowing effect on the building of this fifth runway, but name one airport in the free world where a 9000' foot runway can be built overnight.
Old February 5th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #14
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 343

Looking good. Maybe I'll land there someday.
FM 2258 no está en línea  
Old February 5th, 2006, 05:03 AM   #15
Kai Tak
BANNED

Quote:
\Maybe Atlanta's crazy urban sprawl did have a slowing effect on the building of this fifth runway, but name one airport in the free world where a 9000' foot runway can be built overnight.
Now THERE'S something we can agree on.

I believe this project was highlighted by NBC Nightly News, as an example of why airports in our country are overcrowded and expansion is nearly impossible.
Kai Tak no está en línea  
Old February 5th, 2006, 05:17 AM   #16
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 14593

This will make for some great aviation photo's in the future.
I didn't go south of Atlanta last time I was there, so I didn't get to see this construction.

-
SE9 no está en línea  
Old February 5th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #17
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 279

Wow, looks cool. I'd be freaked out if I saw a plane land while I was on a highway though.
samsonyuen no está en línea  
Old February 5th, 2006, 07:09 PM   #18
asohn

Likes (Received): 2

^ You've never been on Rockaway Blvd by JFK Airport? The planes nearly touch the cars.
asohn no está en línea  

Closed Thread