daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 02:36 AM   #1
london lad

Likes (Received): 485

The Heron | City of London | 112m | 36 fl

N.B. See post #74 onwards for the redesign -

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=313664&page=4

See post #233 onwards for the 2nd (current) redesign -

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...313664&page=12

-- wjfox2002

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This site is right next to Citypoint & Ropemaker

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...018824,00.html

Rivals face off again at Barbican
By Jenny Davey

ELLIOTT BERNERD and Sir Stuart Lipton are to go head-to-head against Sir Stuart’s old company, Stanhope, in a 120 million plan to redevelop a former morgue and fire station at London’s Barbican into a 30-storey residential tower and a new school for Guildhall.

It is understood that Chelsfield Partners — Mr Bernerd and Sir Stuart’s new venture — and Stanhope, run by David Camp, face competition from companies including Gerald Ronson’s Heron International, British Land and Hammerson, the FTSE 100 property giants. The list reads like a “who’s who” of Britain’s most powerful property developers.

It is the second time in just a few weeks that Sir Stuart and Mr Bernerd have found themselves in competition with Stanhope. Chelsfield and Stanhope also feature on a long list of interested parties looking at the redevelopment of Euston station in London.

Milton Court on Moor Lane was one of the first buildings on the Barbican estate. Plans for the proposed redevelopment are being kept under wraps but the building, which also used to house offices for the Corporation of London, is expected to be demolished to make way for the new tower.

Discussions with managers of the Barbican estate are expected to take place shortly.

The Corporation traditionally has taken a hard line against residential projects in the Square Mile, favouring the retention of space for business and employment uses, but this month it allowed Marldon, a developer, to transform a former gentleman’s club at 7 Lothbury, near the Bank of England, into luxury flats.

Mr Ronson was granted planning permission recently for a revised 41-storey skyscraper at 110 Bishopsgate near Liverpool Street station.

Last edited by wjfox; March 14th, 2008 at 10:39 PM.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 3rd, 2006, 11:04 AM   #2
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1729

Ooh, I know exactly where this is, on the plot of land directly to the west of City Point. It's part of the Barbican, but a rather run down bit of it.

I'm not against it, in fact it's probably what City Point needs to its side to break up its rather fat width.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:24 PM   #3
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 259

Sounds good!

I read in an old Guiness Book of records that the Barbican Centre was/is the largest block of apartments in the world! This is because the whole site, (which includes dozens of low rises and three 44 storey towers) is elevated above ground level on one massive pedestal. Does anyone have a recent copy of Guiness BR? Is this still the case?

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:33 PM   #4
potto

Likes (Received): 1936

I quite like that old firestation, would look good renovated. But a tower here would look equally good as City Point is a rather lonesome figure that cant hold its own.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:17 PM   #5
Bob

Likes (Received): 10

I wonder if this could be a turning point for the city? I always thought that they didn't want residents because residents want stuff, demand rights and everything. If it is more to do with ensuring the availablitiy of land for office supply as the article suggests then I think they must have realised that there are plenty of sites available for that and residential has benefits too. For example from a commercial point of view the lower footprints of residential towers would enable more profitable development of many of the pokier sites in the now designated high rise zone.......which leads to the possibility of top tier tower a bit more than the 50 floors we have so far.
Bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 05:44 PM   #6
DarJoLe

I guess this tower is also the first to utilise the Mayor's recent narrowing of the sightline corridors.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:07 PM   #7
Jonny 5

Likes (Received): 1

I like that building, the top of it looks like a robots face.

• -----------------------------﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿---﴾"﴿_﴾"﴿
  • vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Jonny 5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:42 PM   #8
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 2

^ That's disgusting!
JDRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:48 PM   #9
DarJoLe

It's a shame because it's actually quite a funky building if it was given a reclad and a more modern retro look. I like how the width of the windows seems quite random. Very 1970s Buck Rogers.

The new tower will make a nice little cluster with City Point and Ropemaker Place behind it though.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 08:35 PM   #10
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 6133

30 storeys = about 90m
wjfox está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM   #11
Medo

Likes (Received): 355

95 to 100 more like
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 01:48 PM   #12
london lad

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/ar...207543,00.html

Duo win race for Barbican project
By Jenny Davey

GERALD RONSON and Tony Pidgeley, the property entrepreneurs, have teamed up to develop a residential tower and new facilities for the Guildhall School of Music & Drama at the Barbican in London.
Heron International and Berkeley Group beat off competition to work with the City of London from the likes of Elliott Bernerd and Sir Stuart Liptons Chelsfield Partners and Stanhope, which is run by David Camp.

It is the first time that Heron and Berkeley have worked together on a project.

The 150 million development will include a new concert hall, training theatre, studio theatre and office space. A residential tower, which is expected to be about 30 storeys tall, will be built on top of the schools annexe.

The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2009.

A planning application is expected to be lodged this summer and it is anticipated that the development will be completed by the end of 2009.

As part of the scheme, Milton Court, on Moor Lane, one of the first buildings on the Barbican estate, will be redeveloped. The building was once used as a morgue and fire station and has also housed offices for the Corporation of London.

A spokesman for the City of London said: Heron and Berkeley submitted an impressive proposal which should cement the Guildhall Schools reputation as one of the worlds leading conservatoires for decades to come.

The Corporation traditionally has taken a hard line against residential projects in the Square Mile, favouring the retention of space for business, but this year allowed a developer to transform a former gentlemens club into luxury flats.

------------------------------------

Hopefully we should see some renderings soon then
Old June 2nd, 2006, 02:32 PM   #13
mulattokid
BLAND

Likes (Received): 259

This looks very likely and if approved, hints of immediate construction after demolition

Is it pure coincidence that a mans ******* resembles a brain - requisite with both hemispheres, and its truncated spinal cord - always in search of sensation?
(Mark Joseph 2008)
mulattokid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2006, 04:09 PM   #14
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 24

Shame it's not taller, 90 - 100m isn't really that tall for the location with the 127m tall Citi Point and 123m tall Barbican towers next door, something in the region of 150m would be far better. Regardless I welcome any residential development in the City.
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 12:37 AM   #15
london lad

30 storeys is at least 100m & as its being built on top of the school it will prob be taller
Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:13 AM   #16
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny 5
I like that building, the top of it looks like a robots face.

Its so vile its good. I think we need to preserve these brutalist gems because otherwise in 100 years no-one will believe us they ever existed.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 03:56 AM   #17
DarJoLe

The thing is, if it was in Miami and painted white people would love it.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 11:07 AM   #18
Fragmentor
Funky London

Likes (Received): 0

having it painted white where it is would make it look awful (well, more awful)
Fragmentor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:29 PM   #19
ESSEXgeezer
///////////////

Likes (Received): 0

i wonder what the tall staircase is for... looks like stairs to nowhere!
ESSEXgeezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:32 PM   #20
woodhousen

Likes (Received): 113

well with it being an old fire station, cant help byt think its obvious