daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #81
Nick
Gosford/Sydney.

Likes (Received): 53

Wow!!!

I'll be riding TransJakakta if she is on the bus.I wonder if she's Japanese? or perhaps Chinese? I guess she could be Chinese Indonesian.A nice addition to the a nice day sight seeing in the Javan metropolisis

mrsmartman liked this post
Nick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #82
jlshyang

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick
Wow!!!

I'll be riding TransJakakta if she is on the bus.I wonder if she's Japanese? or perhaps Chinese? I guess she could be Chinese Indonesian.A nice addition to the a nice day sight seeing in the Javan metropolisis

i was watching this Indonesian movie, 'Ungu Violet' and i realised this picture was taken from a scene in that movie! That girl is Indonesian actress Dian Sastrowardoyo!What a coincident, hehehe. How could i not recognise her earlier, lol.

Zaz965 liked this post
jlshyang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #83
paradyto
entendre privilege

Jakarta...

paradyto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #84
paradyto
entendre privilege

Yeah I know the film, Is it shown in Malaysia???
She is not Dian Sastro But She's pretty
Old February 12th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #85
jlshyang

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradyto
Yeah I know the film, Is it shown in Malaysia???
She is not Dian Sastro But She's pretty
You mean Ungu Violet? It was quite famous in Malaysia last year and i like that movie. She's not Dian Sastro? Is that scene taken from another movie? Who is she?
Old February 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM   #86
tata
there's no free lunch

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlshyang
You mean Ungu Violet? It was quite famous in Malaysia last year and i like that movie. She's not Dian Sastro? Is that scene taken from another movie? Who is she?
i think she's just simply a girl who works selling BRT ticket. i don't think she's an actress....

Bus Rapid Transportation Database, BRT Part 1, BRT Part 2
tata no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #87
jlshyang

Quote:
Originally Posted by tata
i think she's just simply a girl who works selling BRT ticket. i don't think she's an actress....

Wow!! Then i must go to Jakarta and take the Transjakarta in case i can bump into her
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #88
jlshyang

anyway, i like the Transjakarta system.
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #89
Blue_Sky

Likes (Received): 584

Quote:
Wow!! Then i must go to Jakarta and take the Transjakarta in case i can bump into her
Then u must wait in line
Right behind me

Sorry OOT
Blue_Sky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:19 AM   #90
otanx

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
i was watching this Indonesian movie, 'Ungu Violet' and i realised this picture was taken from a scene in that movie! That girl is Indonesian actress Dian Sastrowardoyo!What a coincident, hehehe. How could i not recognise her earlier, lol.
are u sure ?

i know dian sastro, and that girl doesnt look anything like her.
sorry i think uve checked the wrong girl

heuheuheuhe

cheers,

Otanx
otanx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #91
Zorobabel
Awesomeness

Likes (Received): 2

It's alive! Dubai Islamic Bank is going to provide a $500 million loan and construction has re-commenced.

New thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=156868&page=2
Old February 18th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #92
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

I genuinely hope this project is able to go forward. There is conflicting news regarding the financing agreement with the bank in Dubai:

http://www.tradearabia.com/tanews/ne...00748_cnt.html

Dubai Islamic denies deal to fund Jakarta project
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006

Jakarta

Dubai Islamic Bank has clarified that it had taken no decision to fund the Indonesian capital's monorail project as reported by some newspapers.

An Indonesian daily newspaper was quoted as saying in a report that Dubai Islamic Bank had agreed to fund the Jakarta project, removing financial hurdles that have dogged the plan from the outset. It said Dubai Islamic Bank will provide credit worth $500 million to finance the project.

"The DIB clarifies that it has made no decision or commitment to finance or arrange financing for the mentioned project," the statement said.

"I have received an official letter from Dubai Islamic Bank. The monorail project should be completed soon. We need to work night and day," Jakarta governor Sutiyoso was quoted as saying in the Kompas newspaper report.

The 27km monorail project was inaugurated in June 2004 by then-president Megawati Sukarnoputri but work has been hampered by a lack of money and wranglings.

-TradeArabia News Service
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 06:38 PM   #93
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18172

Lessons learned from Asia's three MRT systems
Tantri Yuliandini, The Jakarta Post
17 February 2006

The experiences of three major Asian cities indicate a mass rapid transit (MRT) system will not work effectively unless there is great political will to integrate the system on a level playing field with cars, buses and other rail projects.

"Powerful leadership is needed to plan, think through and execute the plan," a World Bank transportation expert, Jitendra N. Bajpai, said at a discussion Wednesday, citing Lee Kuan Yew and Nikita Kruschev as the figures behind the success of the Singapore and Moscow metros, respectively.

Bajpai -- part of a team studying urban rail concessions in Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Manila for the World Bank -- said many of the failures in implementing MRT systems in these three cities derived from failed complementary actions, or unrealistic targets.

"Some expected the MRT systems to solve congestion and to improve public transportation across the board, without the complementary policies that are now recognized as necessary. These expectations were unrealistic," he said.

Transportation policies should provide a level playing field for all transportation modes through tax/subsidy and regulatory measures, otherwise MRT benefits suffer and government funding support is higher than it should be, Bajpai said, explaining that this happens when cars or buses are subsidized or when competition is not regulated.

People also need to access the MRT by other transportation modes, therefore a failure to set up seamless transfers contributed to the fact that the MRT systems in the three cities failed to get car owners to switch to the systems.

"If you had a car, would you leave your car and use the system, knowing that you needed to make so many transfers? You wouldn't do it, unless the transfers were very well done," Bajpai said.

So far, the most successful of the systems is Bangkok's 23-kilometer BTS skytrain, operating since 2000, with a ridership of 15.2 passengers per kilometer in a city of 10 million, 53 percent of whom use public transportation.

Manila's 11 million population brought in only 15.6 passengers per kilometer on its 24-km LRT III system, in a city where 72 percent of the population uses public transportation.

Other systems -- Bangkok's Blue Line subway (18 km) and Kuala Lumpur's Star (25 km), Putra (24 km) and Monorail (11 km) -- each attracted fewer than 10 passengers per kilometer.

While all of these systems began with private concessions -- in the hope of avoiding the need for public funding -- most projects did not achieve the financial returns forecast, and were taken over by the government, Bajpai said.

"Because an MRT system is expensive -- you can't just leave off once the project has started, meaning that the government needs to take over," he said, citing the Star and Putra lines in Kuala Lumpur.

Learning from the experiences of the three cities, Jakarta should try to address its transportation problems in a way that it can most afford, and not rely solely on private concessions because a strong government role is still needed to make the system feasible, Bajpai said.

"What happens is that people are attracted to a certain system without looking at how it can solve the problem. The solution is brought forward first, without looking at the problem," he said.

In every step of planning and execution, public consultation and transparency should be emphasized, and the government's focus needs to be on creating a sustainable MRT system, rather than on implementing an infrastructure project.

For Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur and Manila, "it's a tale of winners and losers, and in the end the winners are the users -- but not the poor people because fares are high -- and the losers are the government, bankers and investors", Bajpai said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #94
ncon
Dangerous User

Likes (Received): 543

Lines IV - VII will be constructed this year. For Line V , articulated buses will be used. All the other new buses will have 2 doors rather than 1.
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #95
tata
there's no free lunch

Jakarta is preparing the construction 4 new busway lines this year. When operated this will add the 3 lines that currently operated. Line 1 has been operated since Jan 15, 2004 and line 2 and 3 since Jan 2006. Lines 2 and 3 will be fully operating this April.

Below is summary in English from the last news in SUARA PEMBARUAN DAILY (http://www.suarapembaruan.com), on the preparation especially invontory on how many buses are currently operating on the area where line 4 to 7 will be constructed:

- 5808 buses currently operating will be effected by the planned 4 new busway lines
- 51% (2.959) in line V, line VII: 1.974, line IV: 542 and 423 buses on line VI busway.
- they are now operated by Mayasari Bakti, Steady Save, Bianglala, Pahala Kencana, PPD, dan Metromini. Mostly by Mayasari Bakti.
- These six operators have priority for entering the consorsium for buses procurement --until 60%
- The other 40% will be offered to other investors.
- Total number of buses will be operated on the new lines are 203 units: 34 buses line IV, 30 line V, 54 line VI and 85 buses for line VII.
- Line V will operate articulated buses.

Cheers,
Tata

Bus Rapid Transportation Database, BRT Part 1, BRT Part 2
tata no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM   #96
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18172

Jakarta turning to China for subway project: newspaper
28 March 2006
Xinhua's China Economic Information Service

JAKARTA, March 28 (CEIS) -- The Indonesian government is turning to China for the 400 million U.S. dollars it needs to finance the construction of a subway line in the capital, after a planned financing scheme from Japan fell through, a report said on March 28.

With deadlocked negotiations with Japan unlikely to be resolvedin time by the end of the month, the government would seek other financing schemes because it remained committed to the project, said The Jakarta Post, quoting a minister as saying.

"There are many alternatives," said State Minister for National Development Planning Paskah Suzetta.

"We can still propose the project to Japan next year, but we have in the meantime also been receiving several financing schemes which are more on the same terms with our needs."

Proposals from China are among those the government is at present seriously considering, Paskah said, as well as ones from the Islamic Development Bank and the Asian Development Bank.

Paskah did not elaborate on the new financing schemes, but saidissues surrounding the subway project's financing would be unlikely to cause a delay or a cancellation of the project itself.

"The project was actually not planned to commence this year. Its engineering design phase will only begin in 2007, while its physical construction would be in 2008," he said.

The subway line is planned to stretch 14.3 kilometers, running through the capital's residential and business districts from Lebak Bulus, South Jakarta, to Dukuh Atas, Central Jakarta.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 02:53 AM   #97
paradyto
entendre privilege

Asia Afrika Street…

Old July 29th, 2006, 03:05 AM   #98
Æsahættr

Wow! I can't believe this is actually pushing through there!
It will really be a boon for Jakarta, it will help the pollution situation tremendously!
Old August 9th, 2006, 04:40 AM   #99
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

http://www.thejakartapost.com/[email protected]

Government drops plan to guarantee monorail project

Rendi Akhmad Witular and Prodita Sabarini, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

The central government announced Thursday it would not provide a blanket loan guarantee to PT Jakarta Monorail (JM) for the development of the transportation system in the capital, despite previously agreeing in principle to provide the facility.

Without the guarantee, it is likely that a consortium led by Dubai Islamic Bank will have to postpone its commitment to channel about US$500 million in loans to JM to finance the ambitious monorail project, which was initiated by the Jakarta administration.

The uncertainty over financing may lead to a halt in the ongoing construction work of the project, with the potential to exacerbate the notorious traffic jams in the capital.

Transportation Minister Hatta Radjasa said Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati refused to provide the guarantee for the project because it would violate several regulations concerning transparency and fairness.

According to regulations, such a guarantee should be given to project developers appointed through a competitive bidding process, not based on a direct appointment, as in the case of JM which was selected by Jakarta Governor Sutiyoso.

"The finance minister requested that the Jakarta administration review the feasibility study of the project in order to convince the Dubai Bank that it is profitable and risk free," Hatta said after a meeting with Vice President Jusuf Kalla.

He explained that if the JM management was able to convince the bank, the future profit from the project could be used as a guarantee in securing the loans and a government guarantee would no longer be necessary.

Sutiyoso said separately Wednesday that the government had yet to reach a final decision on the guarantee requested by the consortium.

"Every person has his or her own assumptions which are different to others," he told The Jakarta Post when asked to comment on Hatta's statement.

He insisted that major projects like the monorail system should be guaranteed by the government or else no investors would be interested in the potential risk.

The Dubai Bank syndicate has expressed a commitment to financing the monorail project, but requires a blanket guarantee because of doubts it would be able to turn a profit with an estimated 160,000 passengers per day.

When completed, the monorail would serve the business districts of the city through a 14.3-kilometer line as well as a a 13.5-km route from Kampung Melayu in East Jakarta to Mal Taman Anggrek shopping mall in West Jakarta.

JM has signed contracts with several companies, including state-owned PT Adhi Karya for civil work, PT Bukaka Trans System for rolling stocks, MTRC Hong Kong for project management and services integration and MacDonald as independent engineers.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:43 PM   #100
ncon
Dangerous User

Likes (Received): 543

Minimalist bus shelters to ward off 'invaders'
Anissa S. Febrina, The Jakarta Post, Jakarta

With more busway corridors under construction, Jakartans can expect to see more streetside bus shelters being revamped in a trendy, minimalist style that some people are calling "dysfunctional".

"It is in line with the busway project. As more of the (passenger) load is being transferred to TransJakarta shelters, we are making them more minimalist," city transportation agency head Nurachman said Friday.

Nurachman refused to reveal the budget for the process because he said the city administration planned to "do it gradually".

The agency's move to make the shelters more minimalist was also aimed at preventing vendors from occupying them.

"We do not want people to invade the shelters," Nurachman said.

The most recent example is a bus shelter in Mampang, which has been remodeled in a sparse aluminum style similar to those found along the Sudirman-Thamrin busway line, while several older shelters await work.

The new shelters, with seats wide enough for a maximum of three people, have recently been criticized by a group of young artists as "dysfunctional" for not providing enough seating for people waiting for a ride.

In the Mampang shelter, responding to complaints from awaiting passengers over the lack of seating, a nearby cigarette stall vendor provided his wooden benches as additional perches.

"It seems that they (the benches) are more useful there instead of in front of my stall," said 27-year old Muharom, the vendor.

Despite the agency's claims that the busway service's popularity is leading to less congestion on conventional bus routes, crowds of standing passengers can still be seen along Sudirman-Thamrin during peak hours.

"In general, bus stops serve as temporary shelters for awaiting passengers. A shelter for rapid transit buses (RTB) like the TransJakarta services are different from those for ordinary buses," Indonesian Transportation Society (MTI) chairman Bambang Susantono said.

"It is mainly because RTBs are a fast boarding and alighting form of transportation that do not require passengers to wait for too long."

"For instance, bus stops in Bogota (Colombia) have three exits because they serve articulated buses. They have no seats because the buses operate within two-minute intervals."

"However, for common public buses, shelters should have been provided with seats because they operate with longer intervals of around 15 minutes."

Waiting for that long, people tend to want to sit down. The design must also adapt to local climate and in our case must take rainy days into account, he said.

Aside from lack of seats, the new modern shelters are also designed with angled roofs that don't properly shade people from the rain.

Tags
brt, indonesia, jakarta, mrt