daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2006, 12:56 PM   #1
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Cork City (Ireland) buildings thread

I posted this in the UK and Ireland forum a few weeks ago but why not post it here aswell
I know my city is only a village by comparison to most places around the world but still there is some development here. Actually Iím quite impressed since this is in (anti-highrise) Ireland afterall.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most important development for Cork city has to be the docklands. This isnít just a few buildings but covers a large area, twice the size of the city centre. Itís really a longterm thing. High-rise will be allowed here (to dissatisfaction of the public who generally have a very nimbyish attitude to everything) and there are apparently proposals being considered that hit 25 stories and upwards!!

Here are some concept images of this area. Obviously specific designs can be seen yet since this is just a masterplan

The docklands area will include approximately 6 million sq feet of non-res projects and will contain more than 6000 new homes, student accomodation and high density apartments
New parks, recreation areas, a marina, etcÖ

A college campus with science park:

A new public transport service including a new train station and bus station

New road bridge and pedestrian bridges:

-------------------------------------------------------------

Other buildings, etcÖ

Eglinton Street tower, 17F. Will be taller than county hall so itís very likely this will become Irelandís tallest for a while, until one of the planned ones in Dublin get built. This oneís fully approved now and is supposed to start construction early this year.

Water Street Tower, 17F. Most likely this will be cut back by a few floors. Still at the proposal stage and theyíre still waiting after an appeal. Donít think itíll go altogether though.

Proposed development near where the Crowís Nest was. 15F. I donít really like this one. Design seems really average and looks like any ordinary 15-storey building. Aswell this location really needs something good.

Another proposed 15F tower. This time a hotel and I think it looks great!! The only problem is that itís about 500m away from Corkís most famous cathedral (St. Finbars) and some people are probably dying to complain about losing views, etc.

Proposed complex with 12-storey element. This one I donít like at all. 
Sure itís better than the big yellow piece of shit standing there at the moment but this development only looks a tiny bit better. Looks like a stick coming out of a rubbish bag to me:

New building U/C in blackpool. (itís just an area of cork city). Passing these with the car I have to say they look pretty good. The tallest one is 9F but looks a good deal taller than what I expected:

Juries hotel development. The 9F tower element was cancelled as far as I know. Probably due to nimbys about losing views of st. finbars cathedral:

New school of music. Finally after such a long wait we get this. 
My parents are both teachers in the cork school of music and the conditions right now are terrible. This was supposed to start about 4 years ago. They moved everything into some shitty buildings and for these 4 years nothing was happening. Work is now going surprisingly fast now with it already coming out of the ground after only 4 months construction:

The newly completed Clarion hotel and City Quarter. Looking good I must say

As far as I know there are are 2 possible designs for this next building. Donít know if any one has been chosen yet but I really like this. Very creative design, something we desperately need so we can get away from all the redbrick or square crap:

In the area where this is being built there are about a zillion student apartments recently built or still U/C. Some of them look like crap but this is quite nice I think:

Recently completed 21 lavitts quay. Sort of a random and messy form but is still quite nice. The marble on the front really makes it 1000 times better than it would have been otherwise.

And the piece of shit thatís to be built next to it  (although it might just be the render)

A 9-storey building. Apparently this has been redesigned a little but itíll most likely go ahead. Everyoneís in favour of it so it should be OK. Shitty render I know but from what Iíve heard this will look great when done:

Our new airport terminal under construction

Some redbrick crap:

A new building. Doesnít look too bad IMO:

A strange looking one. Looks pretty crappy here but Iíd say could look brilliant when done. The renders are just bad:

A black box! Donít know what the story behind this one is. Havenít heard about this for ages so might be gone. I donít think I should include it but what the hell. Looks terrible though

I think this one might be in the blackpool area too. Called Ladyís well I think and this looks pretty good. A lot of new stuff there. I know this is actually one of the areas that has been designated for high-rise development and apparently thereís a 16F tower planned for this area:

A 10F building. Again sorry about the render. Is only a drawing but the only pic I could find of the Nat Ross development. Seems to be a goahead but not completely sure:

Camden Court project: Phase one has already been built and phase 2 is U/C. Should look pretty good on completion:

Some pretty crappy looking student apartments. This is the type of shit I was talking about earlier. This is just one example of about 10 blocks built over the past few years (although this is now U/C)

Even crappier student apartments!:

Have seen this somewhere but canít remember where. From the shape of it looks to be near the quayside:

A software centre. Boxy but still quite creative. I like it!

Another building in the same area:

And another :

Donít know where this one is but looks good, very good. Well I think so anyway. It might be in the blackpool area as well. Itís 8F btw:

Dennehyís cross development:

A red building near the bus station. Is about the same height as the Clarion Hotel:

An extension to the city hall:

UCCís recently built bioscience building:

Building under construction, fckin cowshed roof, grrr,

Building on the Western Road:

Proposal:

Apartments:

Last edited by malec; June 8th, 2006 at 03:34 PM.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #2
Mac
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Hey, my dad was born in Cork......but the whole family moved/emigrated to England in the late 1950's....

I always tease him about coming from peat bogs and mud huts.....(typical patronising English,...well half English,attitude i know)...

But it has to be said, it looks a far nicer place than where i live now..
Mac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #3
bb78
Fook eet!

Likes (Received): 10711

Great news. I didn't know that there are so many projects... Go on Cork!

Where exactly will this building be placed? Is it Western Road, place of destroyed Jurys Hotel? It looks great
bb78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #4
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Go down grand parade towards that fas building on sullivan's quay. Then once you reach the footbridge turn right and this is where it's located. Don't know the exact street name. I doubt this'll get built though. The usual nimbyism will see that it doesn't since it's quite near St. Finbarres.
Old February 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #5
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3695

Seems like Cork will be Ireland's "highrise capital". I haven't seen this city before. It would be very appreciated if you make a thread about the city (I mean with old buildings and street pics too). I would also like to see more of Dublin.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:36 PM   #6
bb78
Fook eet!

Likes (Received): 10711

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
Go down grand parade towards that fas building on sullivan's quay. Then once you reach the footbridge turn right and this is where it's located. Don't know the exact street name. I doubt this'll get built though. The usual nimbyism will see that it doesn't since it's quite near St. Finbarres.
OK, now I know. It's near the brewery. I hope it will be built.

Nightsky: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=314659

bb78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:53 PM   #7
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsky
Seems like Cork will be Ireland's "highrise capital". I haven't seen this city before. It would be very appreciated if you make a thread about the city (I mean with old buildings and street pics too). I would also like to see more of Dublin.
At the moment it looks like it will be Belfast (although its officially a UK city). They have just started construction on a new massive glass tower, taller than anything proposed for Cork.
Dublin has more talls, and a larger quantity of them too but they struggle to get off the ground.
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #8
warnings
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

sweet projects
warnings no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #9
Pedrillo

Likes (Received): 3

great projects
Old February 6th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #10
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Actually, for southern Ireland I think Limerick is the highrise capital. The clarion hotel and the newly completed riverpoint building are both stunning! and not some cheap block.
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #11
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3695

Can you show a pic of the glass tower in Belfast? How tall will it be?

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:51 AM   #12
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

this is all I could come up with :

tried to get a better pic off skyscrapernews but that site is in shambles at the moment
Old February 6th, 2006, 03:14 PM   #13
Hoogfriesland

Likes (Received): 1203

Nice pojects, what's the population of Corkcity? Something like 150.000?
Hoogfriesland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #14
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Well within city limits (which really need to be changed at this stage ), 150,000 is about right. With suburbs and stuff however I'd expect it to be more like 250,000
Old February 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM   #15
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

This think has been greenlit. I'm soooo happy!!
Definitely one of the best designs here and once built I'll be able to see it from my house!

Old March 10th, 2006, 03:28 AM   #16
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Desperately needed project for the city centre. Will create some more retail space in the city centre in this time of suburban shopping centre sprees. It's 9-storey high in some places (a bit too tall I think. 7 should be max)

Old April 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #17
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

The eglinton street tower is now under construction! I can see machinery on site from my window

Old April 16th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #18
Danish_guy

Likes (Received): 1

wow and i thought that denmark was a nimby country. and then u say that a 17f highrise will be the tallest in the country

Answer: Herning projects

great pictures of Herning by mlm
------------------------------------

Look at what is going on in the best city in the world:Barcelona - Projects & Construction Summary
Danish_guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2006, 04:12 PM   #19
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Absolutely right!

In fact in the western part of the city there's a proposed cap on all "highrises above 3 stories" which almost everyone is in favour of
Old April 17th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #20
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 757

very nice projects but they are just low-rise buildings.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote