daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 5th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #1
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

Dubai: Freeze on many projects at Dubailand

Dubailand is hit by big freeze on new projects
by Angela Guiffrida

On ice: Just 21 projects have been signed off on Dubailand development as all new construction work is put on hold.
Projects worth billions of dollars have been shelved on the massive Dubailand development.

Over 200 individual projects were originally planned for
the 300 million m2 development, when it was unveiled in October 2003 — but just 21 have been signed off.

Construction Week has also learned that no more residential-based projects are likely to be given the go-ahead in Dubailand.

It follows an order from the ruler of Dubai, Sheikh
Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum.
“We’re not accepting any new projects anymore,” said
Bahaa Abouhaeab, senior business development manager
of Dubailand.

“Sheikh Mohammed has asked for a slow down of projects across Dubai — there is too much going on all at once. So we’ve been instructed to stop offering new projects for the time being and get started on the construction of the projects we have already agreed.”

Located around 20 km from the centre of the city, Dubailand was initially billed as the biggest leisure-based development on the planet.

Original designs included 45 main projects and 200 sub-projects, along with 55 hotels and resorts offering up to 50 000 new rooms.

Among the 21 projects to have been given the go-ahead are the $1.5 billion (AED 5.5 billion) theme park, Legends Dubailand, the $1 billion City of Arabia, including the Restless Planet dinosaur park, and the $540 million Dubai Sports City.

Other projects approved include the $136 million Dubai Sunny Mountain Ski Dome and the $231 million Aqua Dunya.

While the project freeze will come as a blow to contractors and consultants who are hoping to win work on the Dubailand development, it will be welcomed by real estate players fearful of an oversupply of residential and retail space hitting the Dubai market.

An official close to the project said that some of the ventures proposed since the development was announced went ‘off the scale’.

“Many were unfeasible and inpractical — the numbers just didn’t work, and they were simply shrouded by the glitz of the idea.”

Another insider said that any projects awarded will have to stick to the original plan of being entertainment or leisure-based.

“The instruction is for no more residential complexes. Dubailand has been told to get on with the core project, and make sure that what has been agreed so far comes together.”

The move could impact on the financial viability of some projects, which aim to use funds secured from apartment and villa sales to fund associated non-residential construction.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:06 PM   #2
Kai Tak
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Wow! A freeze on construction to allow time and people to catch up to it?

Another historical first for Dubai!
Kai Tak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #3
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 631

finally....some sense or an epithany has occurred in dubai/
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:14 PM   #4
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

this is pure bullshit,

this project is 3bn squarefeet, consisting of 48 megaprojects.

already 21 projects worth 15bn $$ (!!!!) have been announced and are UC.

you cannot expect this to be completed in 4 years

how can you call this a freeeze?

don't forget this is an order by sheikh mohammed himself, and and as the article claimed, most of contractors and developers were shocked to hear that.

the projects announced at the moment are all spread out around emirates road, so prime location within the Dubailand area, and it is rather reasonable to wait before announcing more projects in the current desert.

I am sure Dubailand will go ahead at its planned and current size, but it might take longer.
I think there were hundreds of developers having Dubailand projects in the pipeline, i am sure this is not an issue of non existing demand, but rather to keep the boom up during the next 10 years and prevent oversupply.

it also shows how visionary and still reasonable Dubai's leader is.
let alone the fact res projects are now forbidden in this project.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:17 PM   #5
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

where's the link?

136 million for a ski dome and 231 million for an Aqua Dunya? Talk about on the cheep, can anyone say slave labor? Disgracefull.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:18 PM   #6
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...ewpost&t=89918

articles can be found in this thread.

again, no project has been freezed, they do not approve more of them until the ones already approved are UC..

i can see all the bashers coming here claiming ohh this is the end of dubai's boom, market crash

this article tells us nothing new actually.
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #7
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiflo
this is pure bullshit,

don't forget this is an order by sheikh mohammed himself, and and as the article claimed, most of contractors and developers were shocked to hear that.

the projects announced at the moment are all spread out around emirates road, so prime location within the Dubailand area, and it is rather reasonable to wait before announcing more projects in the current desert.

I am sure Dubailand will go ahead at its planned and current size, but it might take longer.
I think there were hundreds of developers having Dubailand projects in the pipeline, i am sure this is not an issue of non existing demand, but rather to keep the boom up during the next 10 years and prevent oversupply.

it also shows how visionary and still reasonable Dubai's leader is.
let alone the fact res projects are now forbidden in this project.

wow, can you say defensive? You were quick to spin the news pretty well and to praise your king with unabounding loyality. Praise to the Sheikh mohammed the all knowing every glorious!!!!!! LOL As if he is a saint or something.
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #8
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

before trolling around do not forget i am neither from dubai nor an arab.
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #9
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Definitely this is a good thing. They'll build the dubailand projects announced so far and if they're successful they'll expand.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:42 PM   #10
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
where's the link?

136 million for a ski dome and 231 million for an Aqua Dunya? Talk about on the cheep, can anyone say slave labor? Disgracefull.
the situation of these workers are improving everyday. Im happy to report more and more protests are taking place in Dubai... and the government is listening.

more than I can say for America's poor

$15 for a "discount" haircut? can you say corporate greed?

UAE: a country built on cheap labour
USA: a country built on slave labour

lets not kid ourselves here. you are enjoying the benefits of slave labour as you speak.

Last edited by luv2bebrown; February 5th, 2006 at 08:50 PM.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:46 PM   #11
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
wow, can you say defensive? You were quick to spin the news pretty well and to praise your king with unabounding loyality. Praise to the Sheikh mohammed the all knowing every glorious!!!!!! LOL As if he is a saint or something.

sheikh mohammed: has a vision for the city... builds until enough has been built. stops building.

george w bush: tax breaks to SUV buyers... few years later claims that America has an addiction to oil and that its overconsumption is a problem.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #12
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

why open a thread for this

nothing will change anyway

the article can be so misunderstanding

i think i write this for the 100th time now:

dubailand is set to be completed far beyond 2015, more likely to be 2018 since it is sooooooo huuuuuuuuge
21 projects within such a short time is incredible and they keep launching new ones monthly, there is no freeze
some people need to get their head clear, if there is no new project for 2 weeks it's called a freeze or slowdown

the article makes you understand that only 21 projects have been approved out of 200
but this is a long term project, so what about it?

the only surprising thing is that residential projects are limited from now on, which is a very good decision

it's ridiculous, many people say it's going too fast and now that it is still going fast they are afraid of a freeze, come on

i have respect for what sheikh mohammed said, there is so much going on right now, let us finish these things first and take it easy with the announcements of new projects during this time

when he says, there is no more residential stuff coming up then there is no way to change it, no bureaucracy and shit, it has been said and 1 second later it's some kind of a law and no way to sneak around
in other countries it would take ages to make decisions such as this one!

the way the article is written is ridiculous though!

now close this thread
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:00 PM   #13
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown
the situation of these workers are improving everyday. Im happy to report more and more protests are taking place in Dubai... and the government is listening.

more than I can say for America's poor

$15 for a "discount" haircut? can you say corporate greed?

UAE: a country built on cheap labour
USA: a country built on slave labour

lets not kid ourselves here. you are enjoying the benefits of slave labour as you speak.

What the heck are you rambling about? I really have no idea. No unions in Dubai. Workders passports can get taken. Workers who live in deplorable living and working conditions. Yea, a real workers paradise. Do they even have a minimum wage in Dubai?

The USA built on slave labor? What are you talking about? And please don't bring up slavery from 150 years ago because we all know that Arabs outlawe slavery long after Americans.
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #14
fahed
Mr Anti

Likes (Received): 1

Only proposals were put on hold.

This thread is out of its place really. So
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #15
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahed
Only proposals were put on hold.

This thread is out of its place really. So

my gosh, some of you feel so threatened by this piece. Are some that insecure? It is OKKKKK, halts, slowdowns, and stops happen in every city. Did you think that Dubai was going to build 1,000 towers a year for the next fifty years? Nobody is saying revert back to 1950's conditions or something.

Why get hysterical and want to close every thread you do not find glowing I find funny. Meanwhile 9-11 conspiracy threads are used as sticky's over in the Middle East forum. Now THAT is rational.
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #16
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

People are getting a little defensive here, huh?
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #17
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3404

Quote:
my gosh, some of you feel so threatened by this piece. Are some that insecure? It is OKKKKK, halts, slowdowns, and stops happen in every city. Did you think that Dubai was going to build 1,000 towers a year for the next fifty years? Nobody is saying revert back to 1950's conditions or something.

Why get hysterical and want to close every thread you do not find glowing I find funny. Meanwhile 9-11 conspiracy threads are used as sticky's over in the Middle East forum. Now THAT is rational.
Read the titel of this subforum.

It`s called "Construction Updates". I have never seen a freeze of construction thread here before.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:48 PM   #18
DUBAI
Under the Burj

Likes (Received): 1

In many ways this is a good thing, it will give the construction industry a chance to catch its breath and hopefully concentrate on the quality of projects instead of just raw quantity.

but shouldnt this be in News & Developments, its worth mentioning, but hardly a 'construction update'.
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #19
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

good... this is better for Dubai's long term growth.
Old February 5th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #20
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3404

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBAI

but shouldnt this be in News & Developments, its worth mentioning, but hardly a 'construction update'.
I think the purpose of this thread is to show that Dubai isn`t growing so fast anymore. It would fit better in the Citytalk and Urban Issues forum.

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote