daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #41
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

For all those wondering why the Dubai forumers are getting defensive:

It's because in the past, in a thread like this, you'd have a million dubai bashers saying "see, dubai's finished now! this is the end of the world for you. All your towers will be cancelled, burj dubai will be topped off at 200m, etc..."

I suppose that because it used to happen so much, the dubai forumers started making counter arguments before the arguments were even made

Now, lets leave the slave labour thing for another thread. Yes it is bad but it's definitely not slave labour. Sure you have some companies abusing the system but the situation is improving such as the decision last year to give afternoons off in the summer and the continuous crack down on companies who don't pay worker's wages on time.

Anyway, what does this "freeze" mean for dubailand. All it means is that they're not going to take the risk of building everything at once. Instead of building phase 1 and then phase 2 a year later they'll build phase 1, wait until it's been completed and if it's successful they'll proceed with phase 2. This isn't a big crash but instead it's a measure taken to prevent a crash (which would happen if everything was built at the same time)
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #42
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 112

The true reason is that they ran out of cranes
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #43
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

They run out of sand to make new islands on the sea
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:16 AM   #44
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
The true reason is that they ran out of cranes
Actually this isn't far from the truth. Apparently some projects have been delayed because of a lack of cranes
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:16 AM   #45
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

http://www.itp.net/business/features...3767&category=

read this article to see how you can make a bad thing even of 1.4bn $ yearly profit
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #46
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Sanity prevails! It must be the most chaotic and horrible place to live in with this en- masse construction going on. Imagine the daily interruptions, traffic hold-ups, power cut outs, shortages due to exessive demands, etc...occurences that will be part of daily live for Dubains to get use to for the next 20 years!
I can understand the Sheik being so damn fed up of living on a huge construction site!!
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM   #47
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

Good for Dubai anyway. Too many constructions.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #48
Dr. Dubai
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

I'm not affraid for depressive Dubai news. Every day there's fantastic news and this was a day with less good news. It doesn't matter though, there are enough other great projects. There will be enough to sightsee in Dubai. Dubailand will be a huge park, no doubt of it. I don't give a shit if it's all finished within 5 years or 15 years. The fact is that you still keep something to look forward to
Dr. Dubai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #49
fahed
Mr Anti

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
my gosh, some of you feel so threatened by this piece. Are some that insecure? It is OKKKKK, halts, slowdowns, and stops happen in every city. Did you think that Dubai was going to build 1,000 towers a year for the next fifty years? Nobody is saying revert back to 1950's conditions or something.

Why get hysterical and want to close every thread you do not find glowing I find funny. Meanwhile 9-11 conspiracy threads are used as sticky's over in the Middle East forum. Now THAT is rational.
Instead of making a total idiot of yourself, try to understand what others are trying to say. I have never said or implied that this thread should not be created or get a reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahed
This thread is out of its place really
Read again and understand, before posting anymore of your nonsense!

Second, this thread is not about cheap/slave labour discussion. Thus, stop trolling and save us the hassle of looking at your misleading posts.

Finally, you should start respecting others. Otherwise, no one would respect you!
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #50
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

Good news.

But again the US forgets they were built on death, slaves and agression.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #51
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Quote:
Why get hysterical and want to close every thread you do not find glowing I find funny. Meanwhile 9-11 conspiracy threads are used as sticky's over in the Middle East forum. Now THAT is rational.
Understanding construction well. Time x Temp are factors in the how long it takes for somthing to burn. The twin towers could not of fallen down becuase of a fire of after that amount of time.

Jesus should not have died on a cross after just 9 hours.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #52
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Sorry. But im cramed by blind people.
- John Locke
Old February 6th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #53
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkerb
... It must be the most chaotic and horrible place to live in with this en- masse construction going on. Imagine the daily interruptions, traffic hold-ups, power cut outs, shortages due to exessive demands, etc...occurences that will be part of daily live for Dubains to get use to for the next 20 years!
nevermind ...

Last edited by AltinD; February 6th, 2006 at 02:56 PM.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #54
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown
racism in Arabia pales in comparison to racism in America

have i lived in both Arabia and America? yes
have you lived in both Arabia and America? no

so... i am forced to come to the conclusion that you talk out of your ass
I really hope you are joking! Indians and Filipinos certainly get a much better deal in America than Dubai.

I couldn't care less about Dubailand anyway and Dubai probably does need to pace its development a bit more evenly. If you build everything at once then you become stuck in a time warp after a decade or so. Look at Brasilia for example. It's stuck in the concrete 60s.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #55
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Citystyle]Understanding construction well. Time x Temp are factors in the how long it takes for somthing to burn. The twin towers could not of fallen down becuase of a fire of after that amount of time.

Go on blaming the Jews or CIA and give faint praise to the extremist that are hijacking your religion and giving the Islamic world a shite reputation for all I care. If you want to embrace them and give them protection by all means bye me...

Quote:
Jesus should not have died on a cross after just 9 hours
I could say some real nasty things but I will not because I do usuaally respect religion. Plus, I am sure you have an appointment to go fly some planes into a buildings and then deny it ever happened anyway.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #56
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystyle
Good news.

But again the US forgets they were built on death, slaves and agression.

And so was the Muslim world, only with a 1,000 year head start.
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #57
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
This place is about....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

...skyscrapers, cities, architecture, urbanism, structures, urban planning, infrastructure and the likes. It was created to share info, images, facts, figures and especially enthusiasm world wide about these. It's not really a place to vent your personal idea on politics and religion, for most of the time these topics tend to create a negative atmosphere. So if you wonder why your input on related current events got deleted, there you have it. Thank you all for keeping an urban mind around here.
... Obviously some here tents to ignore that!
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #58
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
And so was the Muslim world, only with a 1,000 year head start.
looks like the UAE and USA are both built on slave labour. glad you realize that now.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #59
System_Halted
Head Knockin' Forever

Likes (Received): 1972

Not accepting any more proposals for now, is normal. And I also believe it is good for Dubai.

An uncontrolled super growth may cause most of the projects to be left empty, or being rented or sold to prices which are lower than its original value, which may turn dream of Dubai to become an International value into a nightmare.

Architects have unique dreams. Fortunately, engineers have unique solutions...

System_Halted no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #60
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown
looks like the UAE and USA are both built on slave labour. glad you realize that now.

mmmm...no. Only a fool would give moral equivalency of Dubai to the U.S. in today's world. The U.S. doesn't treat its citezans like children and allows them to vote. The U.S. lets workers organise with unions instead of just run away explotation which the sheiks love. The U.S. has a minium wage and work safety rules that Dubai simply doesn't care about astounding to.

Also, I find your post about Fillpinos being treated better in Dubai to be funny (I am sure all the raped maids would disagree). Why don't you post a post on if Arabia or U.S. treats Fillpinos ex-pats better in general over in the Phillipines skybar. I would be astounded if if Arabia came anywhere near the marks the U.S. gets for Fillipnio ex-pats.