daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #61
Nick in Atlanta

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Burj
FYI for the plural form we say stickys and not sticky's
Actually we say stickies.
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #62
Nick in Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Tak
OMG, EVERYONE SHUT UP ABOUT SLAVE LABOR!!!

EVERYONE USES IT... EVERYONE! THAT INCLUDES YOU!

So you're all jealous of what Dubai is doing. NEED I REMIND YOU YOUR ADDICTION TO OIL CREATED THE FOUNDATION FOR ALL THIS!?!?!?

So much misplaced anger...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Tak
.... Wow.
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #63
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
mmmm...no. Only a fool would give moral equivalency of Dubai to the U.S. in today's world. The U.S. doesn't treat its citezans like children and allows them to vote. The U.S. lets workers organise with unions instead of just run away explotation which the sheiks love. The U.S. has a minium wage and work safety rules that Dubai simply doesn't care about astounding to. .
3 words for you: GLOBAL ECONOMY / OUTSOURCING
sorry to burst your bubble - America's use of cheap/slave labour is far more heinous

i think most people here would agree America's subversion of Indonesia and Nike's sweatshops are far more notorious than any labour camp in Dubai

America: forced exploitation/unfair free trade/international government subversion to create cheap labour and maintain unfair terms of trade = US GOVERNMENT POLICY

UAE: unscrupulous employers who do not pay workers on time, illegally confiscate passports, renege on terms of contract (whom are now being punished by the government)

Quote:
Also, I find your post about Fillpinos being treated better in Dubai to be funny (I am sure all the raped maids would disagree). Why don't you post a post on if Arabia or U.S. treats Fillpinos ex-pats better in general over in the Phillipines skybar. I would be astounded if if Arabia came anywhere near the marks the U.S. gets for Fillipnio ex-pats
violent hate crimes in America: shit load
violent hate crimes in Dubai: 0

Last edited by luv2bebrown; February 6th, 2006 at 06:34 PM.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #64
Bobdreamz

Likes (Received): 2820

^ luv....free trade is also the policy of many countries around the world too not the US only...CHEAP LABOR in other countries does not exist because of US government policy!...It exists because overseas companies exploit cheap labor themselves...do US companies exploit that?...yes but so does every other country's companies as well.
Remember that the US government doesn't own a single company or has nationalised any industry unlike many other governments have.
You really like to spin Dubai like there are no hate crimes?....what fantasy land do you live in?...most of the press in the middle east is controlled by the government anyways so how would you know?
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #65
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Becouse we live here, while you DON'T! How about that?
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #66
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown

violent hate crimes in America: shit load
violent hate crimes in Dubai: 0

How would you know? The fact is you wouldn't because there is simply not anything called investigative journalism in the UAE (or anywhere in Arabia). So you could claim that Dubai has less rapes then a U.S. city. But without a free press or non-government agencies to keep such stats your claims would be useless. I can list a host of examples where one could CLAIM as such but without any government transperancy (which the UAE has none) or freedom of press then they are all myths.

People in Dubai see Dubai exactley as the government in Dubai wants people to see them. So there is no credibility or transparency to make any claims of any kind. That is why all these reports about sales and booms in Dubai are also conjecture. They may very well be real but also there is no such thing as investigative journalism to tell what is real and what is not. This is Dubai's most glaring weakness in my opinion.

Also please go to the Philippines forum and make a poll. I will even let you phrase the question. Who would know how Filipino's are treated in other countries more then other Filipino's right?
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:30 PM   #67
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD
Becouse we live here, while you DON'T! How about that?

so what? I live in a part of the U.S. (as many others do to) where I would literally not have heard of a hate crime commited if I didn't read about it in the paper. I have never seen one that I can think of and many others could likely say the same. If it was not covered in the papers or news someone could tell me there are a few dozen hate crimes a year in the U.S. and I could easily beleive them if I was naive enough. The only way I hear about the scope of the issue is a free press that feels free to cover the issue as they like.

If you get a government who controls the press and is more concerned about image then truth how can one have any confidence on what is truth and what is false?
Old February 6th, 2006, 07:32 PM   #68
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
How would you know? The fact is you wouldn't because there is simply not anything called investigative journalism in the UAE (or anywhere in Arabia).
Actuallu this is wrong. Everyone knows there are crimes in Dubai and around there (especially Sharjah) and the papers publish it all the time. Maybe the crime rate is lower than most other places but there is still crime there obviously.

If you want proof that the media do publish this sort of stuff go here
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #69
drmadham

Likes (Received): 1

normandlee is being an idiotic troll..

IMO situation for workers are surely improving in Dubai, I was actually there for a while this december. still a long way to go, but definately improving.
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:01 PM   #70
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

hey mr expert
stop making a jackass out of yourself

sorry, a mod shouldn't post this, but let me state this

the shit is coming out of various holes in your body

i'm really fed up with this ridiculous "slap the hell out of the middle east" bullshit

there is no other place in the universe where you can read so much crap as being posted on these boards right here

for most of you people the whole middle east is one single piece of shit
hamas=dubai=palestine=saudi=yemen=holy war

it gets really annoying, especially as the same crap is posted over and over again

i have nothing against criticism, but it's getting more ridiculous every single day
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #71
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
Actuallu this is wrong. Everyone knows there are crimes in Dubai and around there (especially Sharjah) and the papers publish it all the time. Maybe the crime rate is lower than most other places but there is still crime there obviously.

If you want proof that the media do publish this sort of stuff go here

It doesn't matter what link you sent me because it proves nothing. When your press is censored it is controlled. When something is controlled usually it is to make it look good (or better then it is). Why is this so hard to understand? I am not saying bad things will not be reported in Dubai. But real rock hard journalism where real issues are dished out (even at the risk of taboos and public embarresment) and issues put out in the open can't thrive then you will get contrived and glossed picture of life and the realities around you.
Old February 6th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #72
Gismo

Likes (Received): 0

ganz dicke luft hir drin
Gismo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 11:41 PM   #73
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
It doesn't matter what link you sent me because it proves nothing. When your press is censored it is controlled. When something is controlled usually it is to make it look good (or better then it is). Why is this so hard to understand? I am not saying bad things will not be reported in Dubai. But real rock hard journalism where real issues are dished out (even at the risk of taboos and public embarresment) and issues put out in the open can't thrive then you will get contrived and glossed picture of life and the realities around you.
The only reason I sent you that link was because you said that the reason there is supposedly no crime in Dubai is because the media doesn't report it. Also it's happening more and more (ie, stuff like this getting reported). What do you mean by real issues though? In Dubai's case real issues include rising rents, worker's rights, etc. Also some construction projects are being critisized more and more such as the palms, etc even though they are built by a government owned company. Aswell, companies who abuse workers are now getting named (this used to not happen before).

Overall this is slowly but surely improving, along with a whole heap of other stuff.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:45 AM   #74
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

close it now.

D-L i saved this on my HDD, this will be unforgotton forever...
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:59 AM   #75
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
The only reason I sent you that link was because you said that the reason there is supposedly no crime in Dubai is because the media doesn't report it. Also it's happening more and more (ie, stuff like this getting reported). What do you mean by real issues though? In Dubai's case real issues include rising rents, worker's rights, etc. Also some construction projects are being critisized more and more such as the palms, etc even though they are built by a government owned company. Aswell, companies who abuse workers are now getting named (this used to not happen before).

Overall this is slowly but surely improving, along with a whole heap of other stuff.

Things like the scope of domestic violence, women's rights and issues, rape in society, racism, contrarian thoughts on foreign policy, clerical criticism, domestic abuse, corruption in buisness, corruption in politics, migrant issues, etc. and everything under the sun. Every society has to deal with these issues to at least some degree. Without a free press though these issues are not transparent and often stagnate because a government always wants to put its best face and societies best face on when possible. Every single government around the world does this and it is only through open and journalistic investigation and freedom of inquiry that such issues can be seen for what they are.
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #76
luv2bebrown

Quote:
Things like the scope of domestic violence, women's rights and issues, rape in society, racism, contrarian thoughts on foreign policy, clerical criticism, domestic abuse, corruption in buisness, corruption in politics, migrant issues, etc. and everything under the sun. Every society has to deal with these issues to at least some degree. Without a free press though these issues are not transparent and often stagnate because a government always wants to put its best face and societies best face on when possible. Every single government around the world does this and it is only through open and journalistic investigation and freedom of inquiry that such issues can be seen for what they are.
my, aren;t you the poster child for American sheep. everyday i am more and more amazed by your ignorance of the Middle East. i think its time for you to leave your insular society and find out how life really is outside of your little town.

everything you state is FREELY discussed in Dubai. more so than that in the USA. in Dubai... this is A HUGE part of everyday discussion. whereas in america, everyday discussion revolves around sports teams and the latest lawnmower model.

http://www.gulfnews.com/opinion/edit...ion/index.html
you may want to check out the editorials on teh recent Danish cartoon controversy.

America: the primary news source for the american population = FOX news at 9 where the main story is a 3-car pile up on an interstate or wait times at grocery checkout registers

Dubai: the main news sources are BBC World, CNN International etc...

sorry to burst your bubble YET AGAIN. and just for your information... we have cars in the middle east- we dont move around on camels - PRETTY MUCH EVERY FORUMER WITH ANY SORT OF EDUCATION WILL TELL YOU THAT
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #77
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown
my, aren;t you the poster child for American sheep. everyday i am more and more amazed by your ignorance of the Middle East. i think its time for you to leave your insular society and find out how life really is outside of your little town.

everything you state is FREELY discussed in Dubai. more so than that in the USA. in Dubai... this is A HUGE part of everyday discussion. whereas in america, everyday discussion revolves around sports teams and the latest lawnmower model.

http://www.gulfnews.com/opinion/edit...ion/index.html
you may want to check out the editorials on teh recent Danish cartoon controversy.

America: the primary news source for the american population = FOX news at 9 where the main story is a 3-car pile up on an interstate or wait times at grocery checkout registers

Dubai: the main news sources are BBC World, CNN International etc...

sorry to burst your bubble YET AGAIN. and just for your information... we have cars in the middle east- we dont move around on camels - PRETTY MUCH EVERY FORUMER WITH ANY SORT OF EDUCATION WILL TELL YOU THAT

OWNED

*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #78
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UofT*
OWNED

care to tell me how that is owned? Coverage of the cartoon controversy proves a free and independant media? Man your standard are pathetic.
Old February 7th, 2006, 03:24 AM   #79
luv2bebrown

Quote:
Kuwait
http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles...25/162189.html

Dubai
http://www.mafhoum.com/press/50S2.htm

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles...12/143296.html

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles...17/156475.html

http://archive.gulfnews.com/nation/S.../10016860.html

http://archive.gulfnews.com/nation/Health/10017038.html

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles...19/148413.html

our newspapers dont report and investigate on such issues? awwww... too bad we live in a Taliban society where our newspapers arent allowed to inform us about worker's rights abuses. awwwwwwwww... poor us.

you are giving our newspapers too much credit. they are not as good as the American education system in miseducating the poplulation.

Last edited by luv2bebrown; February 7th, 2006 at 03:52 AM.
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #80
Nick in Atlanta

I started this thread a few days ago after I received a copy of a Dubai based Construction news paper. I added no opinion of my own and included every word of the article. My only reason for posting it was because I thought it was quite newsworthy. I read articles on Construction and other subjects around the world all the time. Building proposals reach fruition a lot of the time, but probably are downsized more often. It happens all over the world.

Here's the link: http://www.itp.net/business/news/det...ction&id=19465
Nick in Atlanta no está en línea   Reply With Quote