daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #81
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

I dont understand why trolls like nomarandlee arent banned yet !!!

He has been farting for ages in the middle east subforum.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #82
Nainawaaz
Believer

Likes (Received): 6

If there was a car accident in the middle east, nom will find way to link it to the govt, women's right, arabs, or religion.....somehow these words will car in the conversation ...lol..
Nainawaaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:58 AM   #83
Phenomenal Fullerton
'DON'T Daint, you prick!'

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
Now, lets leave the slave labour thing for another thread. Yes it is bad but it's definitely not slave labour. Sure you have some companies abusing the system but the situation is improving such as the decision last year to give afternoons off in the summer and the continuous crack down on companies who don't pay worker's wages on time.
I agree, slave labour isn't the topic of this thread malec, but I think you may be a little misinformed and may be a little brainwashed by the gloss that Dubai's media - and patriotic residents - paints over the construction boom, which does nothing to illustrate the inherant problems in the building trade in Dubai. I don't mean to be rude, but have you lived there? If so, surely you have seen and heard evidence of deplorable mistreatment of the construction workers (and others) for yourself?

In 1998 (sure a while ago but I'm sure it still happens), I drove past my work at night along SZR to see construction workers SLEEPING on reed mats out in the open, on the construction sites, still wearing their blue boiler suits. Not even a roof over their heads or walls around them. Okay, so it's hot, but that just isn't normal! Not exactly good accommodation for them is it? Maybe that still happens.

What's more, given when temps. exceeded 42 celsius (? - I have difficulty remembering, but it was between 40 & 45), construction workers were supposed to be sent off the job. Miraculously, the weather reports consequently never reported temps. above this level, as the city knew its construction would be brought to a standstill - for months! It WAS hotter, but was never made official. So these poor buggers just had to keep on keeping on.

Can I see Dubai's foreign construction workforce striking or protesting? I very much doubt it. They and everyone else know that there would be a big price to pay for that, so out of fear they don't rock the boat. I can understand this - I'd been in trouble with the police for an accident that wasn't even my fault, yet didn't want to argue otherwise as it involved locals who could've made life very difficult for me. Long story short, sometimes you take the rap for fear of reprisal.

As for confiscation of passports and failure to pay wages - of which I heard about recurrently whilst living in Dubai and is still going on - is inexcuseable.

I think some people here like to lap up all the glitz, glamour and hype of Dubai, but would rather ignore its more sinister goings-on behind closed doors.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Dubai-basher, I think the place (in many respects) is fantastic, but it also has plenty of issues to put right. And the fair treatment of sub-continent construction workers should be put at the very top of that list.

Last edited by Phenomenal Fullerton; February 7th, 2006 at 05:05 AM.
Phenomenal Fullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 05:20 AM   #84
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

yes this is an excellent thread topic ^. thanks for starting it.
it shows that the Dubai government, like many forumers here, feel that the residential property market has become saturated.

I think this is a good sign for the city... now we can expect rent to gradually decrease as these buildings come online - without any sudden crash or bursting of a bubble.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #85
luv2bebrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal Fullerton
I agree, slave labour isn't the topic of this thread malec, but I think you may be a little misinformed and may be a little brainwashed by the gloss that Dubai's media - and patriotic residents - paints over the construction boom, which does nothing to illustrate the inherant problems in the building trade in Dubai. I don't mean to be rude, but have you lived there? If so, surely you have seen and heard evidence of deplorable mistreatment of the construction workers (and others) for yourself?

In 1998 (sure a while ago but I'm sure it still happens), I drove past my work at night along SZR to see construction workers SLEEPING on reed mats out in the open, on the construction sites, still wearing their blue boiler suits. Not even a roof over their heads or walls around them. Okay, so it's hot, but that just isn't normal! Not exactly good accommodation for them is it? Maybe that still happens.

What's more, given when temps. exceeded 42 celsius (? - I have difficulty remembering, but it was between 40 & 45), construction workers were supposed to be sent off the job. Miraculously, the weather reports consequently never reported temps. above this level, as the city knew its construction would be brought to a standstill - for months! It WAS hotter, but was never made official. So these poor buggers just had to keep on keeping on.

Can I see Dubai's foreign construction workforce striking or protesting? I very much doubt it. They and everyone else know that there would be a big price to pay for that, so out of fear they don't rock the boat. I can understand this - I'd been in trouble with the police for an accident that wasn't even my fault, yet didn't want to argue otherwise as it involved locals who could've made life very difficult for me. Long story short, sometimes you take the rap for fear of reprisal.

As for confiscation of passports and failure to pay wages - of which I heard about recurrently whilst living in Dubai and is still going on - is inexcuseable.

I think some people here like to lap up all the glitz, glamour and hype of Dubai, but would rather ignore its more sinister goings-on behind closed doors.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no Dubai-basher, I think the place (in many respects) is fantastic, but it also has plenty of issues to put right. And the fair treatment of sub-continent construction workers should be put at the very top of that list.
no doubt. good news tho man... the workers are no longer afraid to protest and fight for their rights. did u hear not only do the construction workers protest by by blockin SZR, but even the taxi drivers shut down the taxi service in protest of unfair new requirements that they have to meet.
Old February 7th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #86
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw

OWNED Part 2

So True.
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:06 AM   #87
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Could someone please freeze this thread. It's of no more value. It effectively turned into yet another racial/religious hatred platform.
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:21 AM   #88
*UofT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by harkerb
Could someone please freeze this thread. It's of no more value. It effectively turned into yet another racial/religious hatred platform.
Right On! Sai Baba
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:29 AM   #89
luv2bebrown

hahaha^
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #90
Phenomenal Fullerton
'DON'T Daint, you prick!'

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown
no doubt. good news tho man... the workers are no longer afraid to protest and fight for their rights. did u hear not only do the construction workers protest by by blockin SZR, but even the taxi drivers shut down the taxi service in protest of unfair new requirements that they have to meet.
That's good news indeed brown. Thanks for the info., - I'm glad to see Dubai is taking a step in the right direction.

harkerb, on the offchance that you're thinking I'm a contributor to turning this thread into 'a racial/religious hatred platform', I'm not doing so. I have no problem with race or religion but I do have a problem with the exploitation of people's basic rights!

I must say I don't like deviating from the topic but thought it was important to respond to malec's earlier (and possibly slightly naive) comment. I digress no more!
Phenomenal Fullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 07:38 AM   #91
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

example of protests?

Dubai taxi drivers stage protest

by Sunita Menon, Staff Reporter

Dubai: Thousands of taxi drivers from Dubai Transport┬ have staged a protest against unreasonable working conditions.

The protest that began at 8am on the premises of the company's head office in Al Quasis took an ugly turn when angry drivers shouted slogans against Dubai Transport's general manager.

The presence of riot police did not deter the drivers from surrounding the Dubai Police vehicle in which the general manager of the company was seated.

The drivers blocked the front and rear gates of the transport company just to make sure that company officials do not force drivers to go on duty.

"We have suffered enough," said a taxi driver to Gulf News. "We will not roll out the taxis unless we get the management to make our working conditions more reasonable," he added.

"When we took our grievances to the management nothing was done to make an improvement. We were told very clearly by the management that those drivers who are not happy with the working conditions should leave," said another taxi driver.

Officials from Dubai transport refused to make a comment when contacted┬ by Gulf News.┬
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:10 PM   #92
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UofT*
Originally Posted by smussuw

OWNED Part 2

So True.OWNED Part 2

So True.

blah, more endorsement of censorship to avoid taboo and unpleasant topics by some. Is it the dream here of some to be government appointed media censors or something? Is this like a lucrative industry? So many fans of the practice seemingly.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #93
*UofT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
blah, more endorsement of censorship to avoid taboo and unpleasant topics by some. Is it the dream here of some to be government appointed media censors or something? Is this like a lucrative industry? So many fans of the practice seemingly.
Well I was just agreeing to the fact that the only thing that brings you to the Mid-East forums are topics in which you seemingly go on for hours without making an attempt to understand anything to do with Mid-East. Its Trolling in my book.
Old February 7th, 2006, 04:47 PM   #94
luv2bebrown

Quote:
nomarandlee thinks of us and sheep and goats...

but Dubai is one of the most diverse and highly internationalized populations in the world. our focus and perspective is GLOBAL, not insular and local like the majority of american cities. our main news sources are major international news agencies. how many of us even watch local broadcast tv regularly? we rely on international satellite tv companies like showtime, star etc. all of us have travelled to/lived in multiple countries throughout our lives, international business and leisure travel for us is a norm, not a luxury. many of us were educated by various education systems and hail from many esteemed universities. we were not educated by multiple choice bubble sheets. Dubai is not a city of sprawl, for the most part, we have a very good idea of whats going on here. we are exposed to the world, while nomarandlee only has skyscrapercity.

nomarandlee has a read a human rights report about camel jockeys and suddenly thinks he/she is an expert on the middle east and talks about our societal problems as if we are unaware of them/not working to solve them since he claims the "problems are taboo in our society" - what an idiot. you spew more shit than me after a good meal of palak paneer and butter chicken.

nomarandlee - if you're so ADAMANT that our lives our censored and controlled by the government... find me a problem/issue in our city that we ARENT aware about and talk about - if you can.

we are plenty aware of the wrongs in our society
- mistreatment of prisoners
- worker rights abuse
- racism in the workplace (though this has changed drastically)
- camel jockeys

etc

Last edited by luv2bebrown; February 7th, 2006 at 04:59 PM.
Old February 7th, 2006, 08:56 PM   #95
Danish_guy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Burj
FYI we say in Sudan and not in the Sudan

it is sad but the education level of today's young people is going down and down day after day
are u a school teacher or someting like that??

Answer: Herning projects

great pictures of Herning by mlm
------------------------------------

Look at what is going on in the best city in the world:Barcelona - Projects & Construction Summary
Danish_guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #96
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

close this thread now, ban various people, especially the ones this :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai-Lover
the shit is coming out of various holes in your body
applies to
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #97
DGM

Likes (Received): 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown
nomarandlee thinks of us and sheep and goats...

but Dubai is one of the most diverse and highly internationalized populations in the world. our focus and perspective is GLOBAL, not insular and local like the majority of american cities. our main news sources are major international news agencies. how many of us even watch local broadcast tv regularly? we rely on international satellite tv companies like showtime, star etc. all of us have travelled to/lived in multiple countries throughout our lives, international business and leisure travel for us is a norm, not a luxury. many of us were educated by various education systems and hail from many esteemed universities. we were not educated by multiple choice bubble sheets. Dubai is not a city of sprawl, for the most part, we have a very good idea of whats going on here. we are exposed to the world, while nomarandlee only has skyscrapercity.
Stop egging him on. Honestly, I think you are just as guilty of trolling as he is. Anyhow, I think the freeze was a good idea.
DGM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #98
Kai Tak
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Mods, you're going to be spammed with PMs by me if you don't close this thread within the hour. DO YOUR JOB!!!

Kai Tak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:00 PM   #99
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Hope so for the workers sake, but right now they are just words.

Amerca's "poor" is better off then the 20 dollars a day labors in Dubai. And they poor will be better off in Dubai? That means the Indians, Pakis, and others are going to be given citazenship and equal rights? Thats funny because I thought as undesirables they were just going to be shipped back in five years. News to me.

Please don't talk about slavery when Arabia has such a long and storied history. The U.S. abolished slavery in the 1860's and Arabia in the 1960's!!!!! Not to mention there is still cases of slavery in parts of the Middle East today. So please now brow beating.

HOw so? Arabia had a legacy of slavery hundreads of years before the Americas and over a hundread years after. So I can't really understand your point.
Arguing about which country abolished slavery first is like putting a Band-Aid on a broken arm.

Anyway this thread sucks.
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #100
luv2bebrown

ok you are right.
lets get back on topic

another thing to consider... although there is a freeze on residential property developments in dubailand... there is no freeze on the host of other residential projects from the Dubai waterfront, dubai marina, Burj Dubai etc.

maybe due to the size of DubaiLand, which is bigger than the current built up area of Dubai, dubai officials felt there would not be enough demand for such a huge number of residential developments. Or, as someone said earlier, Dubailand is one of the long term projects of Dubai so residential properties will be phased in SLOWLY through the years. OR, as i mentioned earlier, perhaps this is sign that the residential property market is becoming saturated and developers are phasing out residential properties to prevent a crash in prices. OR even worse, perhaps this shows the residential property market has already become saturated and a crash will come soon-- if this is hte case tho, why is rent throughout the city rising astronomically?

what do u guys think?