daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #20241
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonshall View Post
With respect I think hardly anyone outside America (or maybe outside NYC?!) would recognise any of those, in silhouette, which is probably the test. The idea the Brooklyn Bridge is as recognisable as Tower Bridge is a bit bonkers
To be fair the same could be said about your list of London icons. My guess is most people outside of the UK who are not building fanatics would not recognize The Shard, The Gherkin, Tate Modern, Walkie Talkie, and The Dome (I'm not even sure what this is!). Perhaps the Brooklyn Bridge isn't as recognizable as the Tower Bridge (I don't necessarily agree), however it is certainly one of the most iconic structures in NYC.

Anyway London is one of my favorite cities in the world. I don't think you need to short change or put down its global competitors to make it shine.

Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:14 PM   #20242
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60762

The Dome features prominently in post 20232.

Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:45 PM   #20243
JamieUK

Likes (Received): 301

I'd noticed that people outside the UK and even some inside the UK think that Tower Bridge is called London Bridge, lol.

AbidM, Quicksilver, moionet, VDB, tius86 and 1 others liked this post
JamieUK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #20244
SE9
South East Nine

Wood Lane Arches | White City W12

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1490127

Official website: https://tfl.gov.uk/travel-informatio...od-lane-arches

• Address: 66-96 Railway Arches, Wood Lane, London W12
  • London borough: Hammersmith & Fulham
  • Station: Wood Lane

Project facts
  • Developer: Transport for London
  • Architect: Fletcher Priest
  • Arches: 31
  • Floorspace: 1,878m² (GIA)

Plans to convert 31 disused railway arches have been approved by Hammersmith & Fulham Council:

- Building Design: Green light for Fletcher Priest's TfL arches scheme

- Architects Journal: Fletcher Priest wins go-ahead for trailblazing TfL arches revamp

- Get West London: TfL given green light to transform 31 unused White City railway arches

Old April 15th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #20245
gravesVpelli

Likes (Received): 3963

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieUK View Post
I'd noticed that people outside the UK and even some inside the UK think that Tower Bridge is called London Bridge, lol.

When the US bought the 19th Century London Bridge in the early 1970s (see below) which now resides in Havasu City, Arizona, they thought they were getting Tower Bridge. Although the latter is a more recognisable structure (one of London's most famous images), London Bridge was much more historic, being the first Thames crossing from the medieval age. The Rennie bridge is also about 70 years older than Tower Bridge.

I visited the bridge in Havasu City and, regrettably it is the centrepiece of a tacky and nondescript township that has ostensibly been created for this British import. The bridge leads nowhere and they had to create a lake to give it some purpose and relevance. The US always does recreation and entertainment superbly but here they failed and it is rather a sorry sight.

Havasu City, AZ: London Bridge by Graham Hart, on Flickr

JamieUK, Quicksilver liked this post
gravesVpelli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 11:38 PM   #20246
lyonshall

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieUK View Post
I've actually crossed London Bridge in Havasu City. Very definitely an underwhelming experience.

I'd hazard a guess that Tower Bridge is the most famous and easily recognised bridge in the world. Put it in a silhouette, yep, people know where it is, and what it is. No other bridge comes close, not Golden Gate, not Ponte Vecchio, not even the Rialto.

The irony is that that new official "London Bridge" is exceptionally ugly and dull, a boring postwar bleh.

I hope they build the Garden Bridge, I think it could be quite something.

JamieUK liked this post
lyonshall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 01:04 AM   #20247
SE9
South East Nine

One Fen Court | City of London EC3

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=590728

Official website: http://www.fencourtlondon.com/

• Address: 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London EC3
  • Ward: Langbourn
  • Station: Fenchurch Street | Aldgate | Bank-Monument

Project facts
  • Developer: CORE
  • Architect: Eric Parry Architects
  • Height: 69m
  • Floors: 14
  • Floorspace: 63,000 m²

Construction progress at One Fen Court, photos by DarJoLe:

Bylina, VDB, PortoNuts, JamieUK, towerpower123 and 5 others liked this post
Old April 16th, 2017, 02:12 AM   #20248
onerob

Likes (Received): 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonshall View Post
With respect I think hardly anyone outside America (or maybe outside NYC?!) would recognise any of those, in silhouette, which is probably the test. The idea the Brooklyn Bridge is as recognisable as Tower Bridge is a bit bonkers.
Disagree. I've never been to NY but know most of those.
onerob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 08:37 AM   #20249
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6274

I think every city suffers the notion it's landmarks are as important to everyone outside as they think themselves. People in general aren't that worldly as we'd like to believe. Plus living in proximity/ from afar gives a warped sense of an icon's worth. For example Londoners tend to put far greater import to its main cathedral St Paul's, one of the largest domes in the world, symbolic to the city of its rising from the ashes of history and war, and to which huge swathes of the capital have zoning dictated by if its silhouette pops up on the horizon. However in tourist's minds Westminster Abbey is the more famous 'landmark', as dictated by their footfall for starters and even then many don't know what the abbey looks like, mistaking the main side entrance for the front or even the small church nearby (the abbey only gained fame, and doubled its visitors after Princess Diana's funeral, and increased again after the last royal wedding). Likewise as mentioned before the same would apply to other famous-only-to-residents places in Paris and NYC. We may be a more armchair-traveled bunch hanging around on this forum but the average muppet on the street would know:

London - Big Ben, London Eye, Buckingham Palace (famed for its resident rather than its nondescript architecture -many people mistake Horse Guards for the thing), Tower Bridge. Possibly Trafalgar Square but mostly to Europeans. Meanwhile the largest attractions in the city such as the British Museum and Tower of London aren't iconic so much as premier on the list in every guidebook, with many visitors only seeing it the first time on approach. Windsor Castle too is a surprise to the visitor despite it being the largest damn castle in the world (shuttup Prague and Jodhpur).

NYC- Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, World Trade center tower/memorial, Times Square, Central Park. Sounds weird but fellow architectural icons such as the Chrysler, Guggenheim, Brooklyn Bridge, and institutions such as MOMA or Grand Central just don't square that high. They may even be recogniseable thanks to NYCs exorbitant screen time, but not necessarily nameable. They'll spy something from afar and it'll be "eh, Deirdre isn't that the building in Armageddon?"

Paris- Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre (not so much the institution as the place the Mona Lisa's kept), Notre Dame and Versailles. Don't count on any of the domes, anything modern (Pompidou to Fondation Louis Vuitton) no matter how prominent and eye catching, or any other palaces, bridges or gloriousness being detected on the heavily blinkered radar. You'll see people in the Eiffel Tower pointing at several landmarks wondering what they are, even Sacre Couer- on everyone's list but with many unable to name it or know what it is even after visiting.

Plus the further away the less these cultural centres feature despite our own proximate ideas. For example the average visitor from the billion plus East Asian market may well not be able to list more than two monuments, like how we can barely list anything more than the Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven (barely), or Great Wall (that's not even in the city but 80km away) in say, Beijing, whilst East Asians would maybe add the Summer Palace and Tiananmen Square. In contrast to locals naming 50 other monuments, from the World's largest and oldest canal (on scale and effort as the Great Wall) to the biggest (and apparently least known) museum in the world.

In short each of these cities have about 40-50 landmarks of note, grandeur and size but our collective memory span stretches to 3-5 at best. I'll always remember a young American guy on my bus to work a few years ago, who was just passing through and who was really impressed by how big and busy the city was. When we went through Westminster he asked what the Houses of Parliament was, and the big Ferris wheel too. In short if you're visiting you'll have checked out the sights in your research and guidebook- if you just happened to find yourselves there you'd barely know where to start or what to check out. Think of great cultural centres in huge cities such as Tokyo, Istanbul, Mexico City, Delhi, Moscow, Shanghai, Bangkok that get more visitors than NYC or even London at times. Where would you head without a guidebook? Where would Deirdre head?

Last edited by the spliff fairy; April 18th, 2017 at 07:52 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 09:45 AM   #20250
SE9
South East Nine

London's recognisability is derived from its symbols and icons as much as its landmarks. The likes of the tube roundel, red phone box, black cab, red double decker bus and so on.
Old April 16th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #20251
SE9
South East Nine

Somers Town Bridge | King's Cross N1C

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=505188

Official website: N/A

• Address: Bridge Number 3, Camley Street, London N1C
  • London borough: Camden
  • Station: King's Cross St Pancras

Project facts
  • Developer: Argent Group
  • Architect: Moxon Architects
  • Structural engineer: Arup
  • Span: 38m

The new pedestrian bridge linking King's Cross with Somers Town, photos by potto:

Old April 16th, 2017, 08:39 PM   #20252
SE9
South East Nine

Westferry Printworks | Isle of Dogs E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1800044

Official website: http://westferryprintworks.co.uk/

• Address: 235 Westferry Road, London E14
  • London borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Station: Crossharbour

Project facts
  • Developer: Northern and Shell
  • Architect: PLP Architecture
  • Height: 106m | 64m | 51m | 39m
  • Floors: 29 | 16 | 12 | 8
  • Homes: 582

Demolition progress at the Westferry Printworks site, making way for the above scheme. Photos by vivek.bhardwaj:

Bylina, Union Man, AbidM, Momosty, JimB and 4 others liked this post
Old April 16th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #20253
CRB1

Likes (Received): 10

London Bridge = Garden City Bridge

If the old London Bridge is feeling so unloved in Arizona then surely it should be brought back and used as the garden bridge, just few metres from its old home!
CRB1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 01:48 PM   #20254
SE9
South East Nine

18 Blackfriars Road | Southwark SE1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=389557

Official website: http://18blackfriarsroad.co.uk/

Project facts
  • Address: 18 Blackfriars Road, London SE1
  • London borough: Southwark
  • Station: Southwark

Project facts
  • Developer: Black Pearl
  • Architect: Wilkinson Eyre
  • Height: 179m | 138m | 65m | 48m
  • Floors: 51 | 31 | 16 | 14
  • Floorspace: 108,639m² (GIA)
  • Hotel rooms: 548
  • Homes: 288

Demolition progress at the 18 Blackfriars Road site:

VDB, Bylina, TowerVerre:), Union Man, AbidM and 6 others liked this post
Old April 17th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #20255
SE9
South East Nine

One Blackfriars | Southwark SE1

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=400279

Official website: http://www.oneblackfriars.co.uk/

• Address: 1 Blackfriars Road, London SE1
  • London borough: Southwark
  • Station: Southwark

Project facts
  • Developer: St George
  • Architect: Ian Simpson Architects
  • Height: 163m
  • Floors: 52
  • Homes: 247

Construction progress at One Blackfriars:

Old April 17th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #20256
SE9
South East Nine

Plaistow Hub | Plaistow E13

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1989969

Official website: http://www.plaistowhub.com/

• Address: Land at London Road and Valetta Grove, London E13
  • London borough: Newham
  • Station: Plaistow

Project facts
  • Developer: Red Door Ventures
  • Architect: Pitman Tozer Architects
  • Floors: 23 | 15
  • Homes: 182

Plans for the Plaistow Hub have been submitted for approval, the planning application can be viewed here.

AbidM, JimB, Bylina, franciscoc, éclat and 5 others liked this post
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #20257
Pr038

Likes (Received): 451

Since people are talking about icons and stuff like that. I also want to write down little things.. Don't want to start an Paris vs London debate or offtopic but the question is can really London compare to Paris when it comes to classic european architecture?.

This question lead to my other worring matter about London and thats is how mutch is done for the heritage in London? I really hope Hyde Park Barracks gets approved and i think London must have more projetcs like that..
Old April 17th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #20258
geoking66

Likes (Received): 6900

London's mix of old and new is what's so exciting about it as a city from an architectural, aesthetic and urbanism perspective. Considering how stringent English Heritage can be, I'm not too worried. The very high build quality of new properties in Central London complements rather than detracts from heritage buildings.
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:39 AM   #20259
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr038 View Post
This question lead to my other worring matter about London and thats is how mutch is done for the heritage in London? I really hope Hyde Park Barracks gets approved and i think London must have more projetcs like that..
There's government legislation, groups like English Heritage, local organisations like the East End Preservation Society (and so on) that pertain to heritage in London.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old April 18th, 2017, 12:21 PM   #20260
LDN N7
N7

Likes (Received): 1667

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
London's recognisability is derived from its symbols and icons as much as its landmarks. The likes of the tube roundel, red phone box, black cab, red double decker bus and so on.

This.

New York has Yellow cabs... London has Black Taxis and Red buses...

Other cities have.... .. ..... anyone?
LDN N7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom