daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 22nd, 2017, 03:40 PM   #20861
potto
Registered User
 
potto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: London
Posts: 17,696
Likes (Received): 9105

Especially when it is all based on semantics! Inno seems to misunderstand the phrase "one of".
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2017, 03:44 PM   #20862
lafreak84
Free Palestine
 
lafreak84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts, UK
Posts: 939
Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
I've been to dozen places and lived in dozen places, London is safe! I have more troubles in China (which supposed to be mega safe) than in London. Korea is not that safe too, actually. Japan yes. UAE is not safe either, they cover bad news here, as much as they can.

To end this discussion, out of top 10 most visited places, London is 2nd safest place behind Singapore:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...nal-visitors-9

What else do you want?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6895511.html

London is the 11th most dangerous city in Europe. I don't know what kind of posh places you had lived in, but safety in London is not something to take lightly.
__________________
FREE KURDISTAN! FREE PALESTINE!
Boycott ******
lafreak84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 03:51 PM   #20863
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh
 
Quicksilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Dubai/Chelmsford
Posts: 9,460
Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a6895511.html

London is the 11th most dangerous city in Europe. I don't know what kind of posh places you had lived in, but safety in London is not something to take lightly.
Based on what? You are comparing Tallinn and London? What about Amsterdam where homicide rate is 3 times higher than London?

How bribery and corruption which is main criteria for that research you have posted would affect general tourist? Have you been or lived in all those 17 places on your list? I've been in all and lived in at least 5. Do you want to share personal experience? I personally laughed at Zagreb being No. 9, "scary place"

Once again, for me, chances of being killed is what determine how safe certain city or not and London is very very low on that list. If you are more worried about corruption and some demonstrations on the street, you probably should move to some village in Highlands.

Last edited by Quicksilver; July 22nd, 2017 at 04:27 PM.
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:03 PM   #20864
Luke
Blackboard Monitor
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: London
Posts: 1,324
Likes (Received): 153

Anyone take any pictures of any buildings recently? Anyone?
__________________
The latest movie reviews - www.sharemypopcorn.co.uk
Luke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:04 PM   #20865
Luke
Blackboard Monitor
 
Luke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: London
Posts: 1,324
Likes (Received): 153

Preferably not buildings in Seoul.
__________________
The latest movie reviews - www.sharemypopcorn.co.uk

Bligh liked this post
Luke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:32 PM   #20866
lafreak84
Free Palestine
 
lafreak84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts, UK
Posts: 939
Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Based on what? You are comparing Tallinn and London? What about Amsterdam where homicide rate is 3 times higher than London?
I'm not comparing anything, you haven't read the article.

"And so Mercer, one of the world's largest HR consultancy firms, releases its Quality of Living Index each year, part of which ranks the safest cities to live and work in."

Comparing Amsterdam and London crime-wise is absolutely crazy and you can't just look at homicides, those could be domestic, you need to look at crime overall. Violent crimes went up by 18% in England and Wales since 2016 and murder rate went up by 26% (figures by MET, look it up). Most of it is London. The reason why London is dangerous is because these violent attacks are becoming more random by the day. At least in Chicago you know which areas to avoid and you'll be fine, while in London it happens to random people just about anywhere. You don't need to provoke anyone to get stabbed in London. You compare Amsterdam and London, the difference in crime rate is about 13 per 1000 people.
__________________
FREE KURDISTAN! FREE PALESTINE!
Boycott ******
lafreak84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:33 PM   #20867
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 6,999
Likes (Received): 10962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Anyone take any pictures of any buildings recently? Anyone?
Myself and SE9 typically post in bulk rather than drip feed it, we'll have some pics soon Luke
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 04:49 PM   #20868
SomeKindOfBug
Registered User
 
SomeKindOfBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,042
Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
The reason why London is dangerous
Juarez is dangerous.

Aleppo is dangerous.

London is not dangerous. It is more dangerous than other nearby cities, sure. But in general it is not dangerous. And it is becoming less dangerous over time in every measurable way, even when starting from an already very safe starting position.

You say things like 'you dont need to provoke anyone to get stabbed in London' as though 'getting stabbed in London' is an event you are ever likely to be a part of or witness. Which is not the case.
__________________

Bligh liked this post
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 05:10 PM   #20869
lafreak84
Free Palestine
 
lafreak84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Herts, UK
Posts: 939
Likes (Received): 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeKindOfBug View Post
Juarez is dangerous.

Aleppo is dangerous.

London is not dangerous. It is more dangerous than other nearby cities, sure. But in general it is not dangerous. And it is becoming less dangerous over time in every measurable way, even when starting from an already very safe starting position.

You say things like 'you dont need to provoke anyone to get stabbed in London' as though 'getting stabbed in London' is an event you are ever likely to be a part of or witness. Which is not the case.
I appreciate what you're saying, but crime in London went up by 4.5% compared to 2016. That's not becoming less dangerous, but more. It should go the other way around.
__________________
FREE KURDISTAN! FREE PALESTINE!
Boycott ******
lafreak84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 05:39 PM   #20870
hugh
Registered User
 
hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 2,728
Likes (Received): 1227

Any mod out there ready to do the kinder thing?
__________________
In art we trust.

napowen liked this post
hugh está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 06:22 PM   #20871
SomeKindOfBug
Registered User
 
SomeKindOfBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Manchester
Posts: 1,042
Likes (Received): 1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafreak84 View Post
I appreciate what you're saying, but crime in London went up by 4.5% compared to 2016. That's not becoming less dangerous, but more. It should go the other way around.
Of course. But the reason this discussion is stupid and pointless and should be ended is because the crime rate in London is still very low indeed and while increases are always a cause for concern, portraying the city as 'dangerous' is an outrageous exaggeration.
SomeKindOfBug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 07:02 PM   #20872
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,019
Likes (Received): 4801

The crime rate on the SSC London Projects and Construction thread is soaring. Off topic posts wherever you turn. Up by 1000% over the past 24 hours. Scary stuff. Dangerous. Not least because it seems so entirely random.

Personally, I blame the austerity driven, swingeing cuts that have decimated the numbers of moderators patrolling the streets of Skyscraper City.
__________________

SE9, tius86, Jamsterx, Bylina, napowen and 1 others liked this post
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:20 PM   #20873
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 6,999
Likes (Received): 10962

Aga Khan Campus | King's Cross N1C

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=505188

Official website: http://www.akdn.org/where-we-work/eu...s-cross-campus



Location
  • Address: Plot R1, Handyside Street, London N1C
  • London borough: Camden
  • Station: King's Cross St Pancras

Project facts
  • Developer: Argent | Aga Khan Development Network
  • Architect: Maki and Associates
  • Floors: 9
  • Floorspace: 9,168



Construction update by Mr Cladding.

Aga Khan London by Constructing London, on Flickr

Aga Khan London by Constructing London, on Flickr

Aga Khan London by Constructing London, on Flickr

Aga Khan London by Constructing London, on Flickr

__________________

Bylina, Lad liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:29 PM   #20874
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 6,999
Likes (Received): 10962

Harbour Central | Isle of Dogs E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=351924

Official website: http://harbourcentral.com/


Location
  • Address: 2 Millharbour, Millharbour Village, London E14
  • London borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Station: South Quay

Project facts
  • Developer: Galliard Homes
  • Architect: Rolfe Judd
  • Height: 145m | 122m | 90m | 87m
  • Floors: 50 | 36 | 28 | 25
  • Homes: 901



Construction photos by djm160190 and OllieIOD



__________________

JimB, Munwon, Jamsterx, Bylina, Lad and 1 others liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:34 PM   #20875
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 6,999
Likes (Received): 10962

Wood Wharf | Canary Wharf E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=317626

Official website: http://www.woodwharf.com/



Location
  • Address: Wood Wharf, Preston's Road, London E14
  • London borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Station: Canary Wharf

Project facts
  • Developer: Canary Wharf Group
  • Cost: £2 billion
  • Homes: 3,277
  • Office space: 175,000m²
  • Retail space: 25,000m²



Wood Wharf construction update by Shardview77

__________________

Munwon, TowerVerre:), Bylina, PortoNuts, Lad liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:38 PM   #20876
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 6,999
Likes (Received): 10962

Newfoundland | Canary Wharf E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1632163

Official website: http://canarywharf.com/residential/newfoundland/



Location
  • Address: Newfoundland, Bank Street, London E14
  • London borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Station: Heron Quays | Canary Wharf

Project facts
  • Developer: Canary Wharf Group
  • Architect: Horden Cherry Lee
  • Height: 220m
  • Floors: 60



1 Bank Street | Canary Wharf E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1692912

Official website: http://group.canarywharf.com/availab...e-bank-street/



Location
  • Address: 1 Bank Street, London E14
  • London borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Station: Heron Quays | Canary Wharf

Project facts
  • Developer: Canary Wharf Group
  • Architect: Kohn Pedersen Fox
  • Height: 147m
  • Floors: 28



Newfoundland and One Bank Street as seen from floor 72 of the Shard

Newfoundland and 1 Bank Street by Constructing London, on Flickr
__________________

baisaroff, JimB, Munwon, Luke, TowerVerre:) and 7 others liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:46 PM   #20877
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 6,999
Likes (Received): 10962

100 Bishopsgate The Scalpel | City of London EC2

London forum thread: | 100 Bishopsgate | The Scalpel

Official website: http://www.100bishopsgate.com | http://thescalpelec3.co.uk



Location
  • Address: 100 Bishopsgate, London EC2 | 52 Lime Street, London EC3
  • Ward: Bishopsgate | Lime Street
  • Station: Liverpool Street | Bank

Project facts
  • Developer: Brookfield | W.R. Berkley
  • Architect: Allies and Morrison | Kohn Pedersen Fox
  • Height: 172m | 190m
  • Floors: 40 | 39


Construction update by London Highwayman

__________________

Munwon, TowerVerre:), Bylina, Lad, moionet and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by Mr Cladding; July 22nd, 2017 at 10:52 PM.
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:58 PM   #20878
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 6,999
Likes (Received): 10962

The Landmark Pinnacle | Isle of Dogs E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=613565

Official website: http://www.landmarkpinnacle.co.uk/



Project facts
  • Address: 15 Westferry, London E14
  • London borough: Tower Hamlets
  • Station: Heron Quays | Canary Wharf

Project facts
  • Developer: Chalegrove Properties
  • Architect: Squire and Partners
  • Height: 233m
  • Floors: 75



Construction update by Chest

__________________

Munwon, TowerVerre:), hugh, baisaroff, Bylina and 1 others liked this post
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 11:05 PM   #20879
Mr Cladding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Posts: 6,999
Likes (Received): 10962

Battersea Power Station | Nine Elms SW8

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=650929

Official website: http://www.batterseapowerstation.co.uk/



Location
  • Address: Battersea Power Station, Kirtling Street, London SW8
  • London borough: Wandsworth
  • Station: Battersea Power Station

Project facts
  • Developer: Sime Darby | SP Setia
  • Architect: Rafael Viñoly | Gehry Partners | Foster + Partners | Wilkinson Eyre | dRMM | SimpsonHaugh and Partners | Bjarke Ingels Group
  • Cost: £8 billion
  • Homes: 3,400



Last weekend marked the opening of the first retailer in Circus West

__________________
Mr Cladding no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2017, 11:54 PM   #20880
PortoNuts
Registered User
 
PortoNuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Porto
Posts: 23,925
Likes (Received): 7165

The Landmark Pinnacle is looking very impressive already.
__________________
Got one head for money and one head for sin..
PortoNuts no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu