daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 13th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #2761
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

What's E&C cluster? definition please
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #2762
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 135

Elephant and Castle.
Pennypacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #2763
SO143
BANNED

I see, cheers
Old October 13th, 2011, 09:44 PM   #2764
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
London Tube: Jubilee Line upgrade 'cost double estimate'

An Underground line upgrade cost two-and-a-half times more than originally estimated, it has been revealed.

The Jubilee Line was upgraded under a public-private partnership plan.

In 2002, private firm Tube Lines' said the upgrade would cost £285.3m. Transport for London - which took over the work - has now revealed the final project cost was £721m.

Work had been expected to finish by the end of 2009 - but was finally completed this July.

London Underground managing director Mike Brown said: "The final Jubilee Line upgrade cost completely vindicates our decision to end the waste and inefficiency of the private partnership plan and transfer the work to TfL.

"Now we are free of the absurd constraints we are able to ensure that future upgrades, including the Northern line, are delivered in a much more efficient and economic way and with far less disruption to Londoners and businesses."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-15277819
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #2765
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2210

this three spires project is strange

I don't understand when you have students who have their fees increased last year how such projects continue to appear for an handle of rich men.

It's just rubbish on a social view. It's sure make London more spectacular than ever but it's a shame because inequalities continue and new projects still appear there only for rich men

I would understand if it was to make offices. But just apartments are a rubbish

I hope it won't exist . i love towers but i'm shocked by this contrast between economic reality and projects "a la dubai & hong kong"
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #2766
Dale

Likes (Received): 5506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelferis View Post
this three spires project is strange

I don't understand when you have students who have their fees increased last year how such projects continue to appear for an handle of rich men.

It's just rubbish on a social view. It's sure make London more spectacular than ever but it's a shame because inequalities continue and new projects still appear there only for rich men

I would understand if it was to make offices. But just apartments are a rubbish

I hope it won't exist . i love towers but i'm shocked by this contrast between economic reality and projects "a la dubai & hong kong"
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "have their fees increased." It's my understanding that they are just receiving less of other peoples' money.

In any case, the government doesn't usually build skyscrapers.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #2767
SO143
BANNED

Skyscraper constructions and projects have nothing to do with the government. I don't know what he's on about.
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #2768
Dale

This is (skyscraper)city that I'm on, right ? The place where people love skyscrapers ?
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #2769
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2210

i mean cost of subscriptions at university.

And yes government doesn't built towers but the orientation of politics which leads rich men to come in London and pay few taxes. The result is to have less services in social & administration
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #2770
Dale

Old October 14th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #2771
tuten

Likes (Received): 1380

Exactly, we should scrap these towers and give all the money saved to the students.

... oh wait

Citius, Altius, Fortius.
tuten no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #2772
SO143
BANNED

Although i don't want to ruin this thread with off-topic posts i have to add the fact that university tuition fees for the British universities are many times cheaper compared to the ones in the United States. British students don't know how lucky they are.
Old October 14th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #2773
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Exactly, our universities are still cheaper than in the States... but of equal quality.

People in the UK just like to moan.
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #2774
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
High speed rail 'a white elephant' £32 billion project

High Speed 2 (HS2) linking London, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds would be a "monumentally expensive white elephant", out of date before it is finished, MPs were told.

The Government's 32 billion flagship transport project linking the cities with a new, super-fast rail line should be scrapped, with money invested in improving existing tracks, the Commons heard.

Conservative MP Andrea Leadsom, whose South Northamptonshire constituency would be affected by the line, opened a debate led by backbenchers, saying: "We have to seriously consider whether spending £32 billion of taxpayers' money on a project that will deliver nothing until 2026 is worth doing.

"In my view it is not. It is monumentally expensive, the timescales are so long as to become satirical, and HS2, as a result, risks being a vast white elephant that is out of date before it is even completed."

She denied the scheme was visionary or environmentally-friendly and the Government claims that the project will close the north-south divide.

Labour former minister Geoffrey Robinson (Coventry NW): "It's the largest capital project this country will ever have engaged in and it is money, frankly, that could better be spent elsewhere."

Tory Tony Baldry (Banbury) said the Institute of Economic Affairs had warned: "There is a significant risk that HS2 will become the latest in a long series of Government big project disasters."

He claimed the scheme was a "vanity project" which Gordon Brown had hoped would win votes in Birmingham.
Labour's Roger Godsiff (Birmingham Hall Green) also labelled the scheme a "vanity project", and said: "I hope the minister will think again about this project because, if he goes ahead, I believe it will be a disaster."

Tory Esther McVey (Wirral W) backed the scheme, saying: "Without this infrastructure we will be stymied from the development we so very much need.
Source

Quote:
Velodrome Wins Race For Top Building Award

The velodrome at the Olympic Park in east London has won a top construction prize.

The 6,000-seat track cycling venue beat 26 rival projects to lift the Prime Minister's Better Public Building Award.

Among its competitors were the £486m Olympic Stadium and the Central Park Bridge, also on the Olympic Park.

The prize, part of the British Construction Industry Awards, takes into account a wide range of factors.

As well as design these include the construction process, delivery and client satisfaction.

The velodrome, which is part of the £93m Olympic Velopark, has a sweeping roof designed to reflect the curve of the cycling track and is clad in western red cedar timber.

It was built by contractor ISG with Hopkins Architects, Expedition Engineering and BDSP part of the design team.

Building work began in March 2009 and was finished just under two years later in February 2011, making it the first venue at the Olympic Park to be completed.

After the Games, the Velodrome will be used by elite athletes and the local community, and include a cafe, bike hire and cycle workshop facilities.

Olympic Delivery Authority chairman John Armitt said: "This is a tremendous achievement for a venue that combines innovative architecture, engineering and construction into a stunning and sustainable building."

London's Tate Modern, the City Learning Centre in Bristol and Bournemouth Library are among previous winners of the award.
http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/16088563
Old October 14th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #2775
Ecological
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

HR2 was raised when the Chinese Prime Minister visited Birmingham.

He said they could have it completed in 2-3 years if they were awarded it.

It's all very well keeping jobs within the country but **** me. A high speed rail link would create so many more opportunities in the long run, I cant see a reason why we shouldn't give it to them to construct if they can do it so damn quickly.
Ecological no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #2776
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Britain mulls 'Boris island' to ease crowded Heathrow

LONDON - London's Heathrow airport is on the verge of overload, giving flight to fears that one of the planet's main air hubs is on the slide and thoughts of building another - on the River Thames.

Handling more than 180,000 passengers a day but operating with just two runways, the world’s busiest airport in terms of international passenger traffic has been the subject of heated debate in Britain for years.

But the question has returned to the fore again after a report commissioned by Spanish-owned operator BAA, which runs six British airports including Heathrow.

As Britain’s only true international hub, Heathrow is already functioning at 98 percent of capacity with 450,000 takeoffs and landings last year, according to the report prepared by Frontier Economics entitled "Connecting for growth: the role of Britain’s hub airport in economic recovery".
Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/techn...#ixzz1al5sL4DE
Old October 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #2777
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "have their fees increased." It's my understanding that they are just receiving less of other peoples' money.

In any case, the government doesn't usually build skyscrapers.
I don't want to derail the thread, but this comment stinks of ignorance to high heaven. If you serisouly did not understand, his point was that Britain is becoming a broken society, just like the US. I understand this project is privately funded and has nothing to do with the government, but there is a sad irony that the poor and the middle class in Britain are struggling while the rich get richer. Maybe in a few years we'll see the return of the jolly Victorian class society!
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #2778
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Quintain Estates sells student accommodation property for £34 million

Quintain Estates & Development PLC (LON:QED) said it sold the recently completed student accommodation scheme, Dashwood Studios, to a discretionary single client account of Rockspring Property Investment Managers for £34 million.

The sale price of £34 million compares with the March 2011 site valuation of £14.7 million and subsequent construction expenditure of £17.8 million.

Dashwood Studios is located in Elephant & Castle and attracts residents from several London universities in the surrounding area.

It contains 232 studio rooms, multiple communal living spaces and retail units on the ground floor. The entire scheme is let for the current academic year and the retail units are under offer.

Quintain purchased the scheme in February 2011.

Finance director Rebecca Worthington said: “Given the current challenges in the debt markets, our priority as a group is to continue to strengthen our financial position. As part of this strategy, we are extending the maturity of our existing facilities and continue to reduce the level of corporate debt through a measured programme of disposals. The proceeds from the sale of Dashwood Studios will be used to reduce our forecast gearing levels."
http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/...es/news/34314/
Old October 14th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #2779
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash_N View Post
The 3 spires are great, but too close to Shard in my opinion. I'd rather see them around Strata, forming a new, E&C cluster. But that's just me...
I would prefer that as well but one can't complain when there are 2 above 200 metres projects up for approval.
Old October 14th, 2011, 06:52 PM   #2780
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
I don't want to derail the thread, but this comment stinks of ignorance to high heaven. If you serisouly did not understand, his point was that Britain is becoming a broken society, just like the US. I understand this project is privately funded and has nothing to do with the government, but there is a sad irony that the poor and the middle class in Britain are struggling while the rich get richer. Maybe in a few years we'll see the return of the jolly Victorian class society!
First to your disingenuity: you don't care if the thread is derailed. You have to get your shot in. Secondly, what is your solution, to simply halt construction of highrises until an arbitrary marker is established and redistribution can be coerced until incomes are (arbitrarily) better-balanced ? In other words, EVEN MORE of the sort of meddlesome engineering that caused the rot in the first place ?

Good thinking!

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom