daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:57 PM   #281
AtlanticaC5
Right Here, Right Now

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9

What will the future usage of the Power Station be? Anything for the Olympics?

Sponsored Links
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM   #282
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6360

I see two on the right here.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:58 AM   #283
U.K

Likes (Received): 3

does anyone no how to post pictures when you reply to a thread?
U.K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:03 AM   #284
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 59937

^ About the forums section:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
How do I post images in my post
Unfortunately it isn't possible to upload images along with your post. In order to post images, they must be located somewhere and then linked to in your post. There are a number of web sites where you can host your image and use the link in your post:...or find more free image hosts here.
for a picture to show:

[img]image URL (with no spaces)[/img]
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:05 AM   #285
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticaC5
What will the future usage of the Power Station be? Anything for the Olympics?
No, but that is a missed opportunity.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:03 AM   #286
U.K

Likes (Received): 3

this is a joke could somebody please tell me how to put pictures on my post?

Last edited by U.K; June 23rd, 2006 at 03:01 PM.
U.K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:27 AM   #287
TampaMike
Oh Hey!

Likes (Received): 950

Quote:
Originally Posted by U.K
[img]imageURL[/IMG]
like the picture.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:53 PM   #288
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13282

London cranes -

http://www.building.co.uk/pop-up.asp...8&seq=1&type=G
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:03 PM   #289
Avens

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle kid
I suppose this had the potential to become London's Golden Gate bridge. It is a bit of a wasted oppertunity.
My thoughts exactly. A chance to build a great bridge in London seems to have been wasted. I mean, it's not awful, but it's hardly gonna set the world alight. I think the 3rd picture was a much better proposal.

Liverpool FC
Avens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:36 PM   #290
wjfox
Futurist

I've updated the summary on the 1st page. Several new towers have been added.
Old June 28th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #291
wjfox
Futurist

Major office scheme planned for City of London

[IMG]http://i5.************/16094sg.jpg[/IMG]

Major office scheme planned for City of London

Beetham has unveiled plans for Trinity, a £700m office complex glazed like a ‘cluster of crystals' on the site of Aldgate bus station.

The Beetham Organization is to submit a planning application this week for Trinity, a 1m sq ft (92,920 sq m) office campus in Aldgate on the eastern fringe of the City of London.

The Foreign Office Architects-designed scheme, exclusively revealed to Property Week, envisages three multi-faceted office buildings with walls that glint like gemstones. Its estimated completion value is £700m.

The tallest of the buildings, at 22 storeys, will have a restaurant, cafe and public viewing gallery on the top floor that overlooks the City.

It will also contain a new entrance to Aldgate Underground station. A glazed public plaza will strike through the centre of the campus, the Circle Line running directly beneath.

The scheme will also involve the comprehensive redevelopment of Aldgate bus station and a new bus terminus will be constructed to the south of the site. Beetham's proposals also include 35,000 sq ft (3,251 sq m) of retail space spread across the three buildings.

‘The architect's brief was to create an office campus, a modern Cutlers Gardens,' says Stephen Beetham, managing director of the Liverpool-based developer. ‘Foreign Office designed the buildings inside out. Despite their angular appearance, they have very regular, rectangular floorplates and central service cores. We felt we could do something special in the sky, and importantly that's a public space.'

Beetham acquired most of the 3.2 acre (1.3 ha) site from Hammerson and Catalyst Capital for £30m in 2004. Currently occupied by two 1970s office buildings - Bain Dawes House and Latham House - the developer will gain vacant possession in March 2007, when demolition is scheduled to begin.

Beetham's adviser, BH2, has added 10 further acquisitions to the site in the last nine months, approaching £13m in value, and has spent more than a year negotiating with Transport for London. The assembled block fronts Aldgate High Street to the north, and is bordered by Minories to the west and Mansell Street to the east. DP9 is advising on planning.

Each of the three office buildings averages 350,000 sq ft (32,515 sq m). Floorplates range from 15,000 sq ft to 35,000 sq ft (1,393 sq m to 3,251 sq m), and Beetham intends to speculatively develop the first 12-storey block. He says the scheme will be financed by a combination of equity and debt.

Insurance policy

‘The location, quality of architecture and range of floorplates mean Trinity will appeal to the insurance sector and related occupiers, and a host of other occupiers,' says Tony Gibbon, partner in BH2, which will also act as the letting agent for the scheme.

‘It is deliberately designed to work as a multi-let estate, although it is also conceivable that the whole of one building could be a headquarters. We are not seeking prelets.'

Alejandro Zaera-Polo, director of Foreign Office Architects, describes his design as a ‘cluster of crystals'.

‘We wanted the complex to work as part of the gothic fabric of the City of London, where you see arcades and public spaces,' he says. ‘This is not to be another high-rise statement. The crystalline aesthetics create the possibility of playing games with reflection and transparency across surfaces, which are not vertical - the default condition in the City.

‘Tilt the surfaces towards the ground and they become more transparent; tilt them towards the sky and they become more opaque as they reflect more light. This creates a kaleidoscopic world where different activities around the buildings and inside the buildings will be brought together as impressions of the City.'

Trinity will have an EC3 postcode by a whisker, although the other side of Mansell Street is in the E1 postal district of Tower Hamlets.

Walking around Aldgate today, it is the place where the City limits merge into the East End. The local pubs, cash-and-carry shops, Bengali restaurants and street markets for which the area is well known nestle alongside a growing array of planned developments.

Directly opposite Trinity is the site of the proposed 50-storey Minerva Tower, although rumours abound of a site sale or potentially smaller development. Omega Land proposes a 300,000 sq ft (27,870 sq m) Wilkinson Eyre-designed scheme at Aldgate Union; Helical Bar plans a 20-storey tower on the site of International House; and Inonder submitted a planning application in March for a 25-storey residential tower.

‘It is nonsense to say that Trinity is off pitch, argues Gibbon. ‘The City is about space over place and, within reason, occupiers want quality space ahead of location. That's why Cutlers Gardens and Broadgate were so successful. Trinity is close to Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street and will straddle a major public transport interchange.'

The historic site cost means projected rents at Trinity will be £45/sq ft (£484.38/sq m), which Beetham believes will significantly undercut not just prime City rents but those of competing Aldgate buildings.

‘Everyone's looking for prelets but we will be starting on site as soon as we can, which shows our intent,' he says. ‘Our objective is to build and hold for the long term.'

‘This is a very complicated site,' says Peter Rees, City planning officer for Beetham's application. ‘Any scheme that involves relocating a bus station, a new means of access to an Underground station, and has to take into account the backdrop of listed buildings in the City of London requires great ingenuity. And I have to say I'm enjoying working with such ingenious folk.'

[IMG]http://i5.************/16094sg.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i3.************/16094yh.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.************/16096ck.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i3.************/16096ih.jpg[/IMG]
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #292
-

From above, it looks very cool. But from streetlevel, it's once again, a steel and glass building...
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:02 PM   #293
capslock
Ho hum

Likes (Received): 1647

hmm....

I feel strangely unmoved
Old June 28th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #294
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Aside from the relatively bulky massing, I like it. The facade looks nice, and it gets major bonus points for including public space at the top of the taller tower.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #295
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1376

Very nice stuff, looks so unreal and futuristic
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #296
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3245

I quite like it, but I'd rather it were stretched upwards a bit, perhaps the tallest block being in the region of 130-140m
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #297
wjfox
Futurist

^ Not possible as it's right behind the Tower of London.
Old July 4th, 2006, 01:44 AM   #298
wjfox
Futurist

Most of the UK forumers will know this already, but I thought I'd give it a quick mention here. Demolition has now started on Drapers Gardens, a 30-storey office tower in the City of London. It will be the tallest demolition ever carried out in the UK. It's the tower nearest to St Paul's in the 2nd pic, the one with the green glass.

Old July 4th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #299
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1545

Whats replacing it?
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #300
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura