daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 18th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #3081
deckard_6

Likes (Received): 112

Very impressive! Canary Wharf will certainly become one of the finest areas in the world when talking about modern architecture. The mixture of canals and skyscrapers gives it in my opinion a very futuristic feeling. I just hope they will keep it elegant and not like many of the new skyscrapers projected in London in the last years, which look rather weird and somehow childish.
deckard_6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #3082
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
Canary Wharf needs some new designs, something that might just push the envelope of the blocky glass box. Otherwise it's starting to look dated, which is the kiss of death especially in competition with The City, and all its history, dynamism, plurality, edgy designs and transport links.
I have to agree, the Comubus Tower was quite a rare yet different proposal which has now disappeared off the face of the earth.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #3083
LondonFox
BANNED

Likes (Received): 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortoNuts View Post
Good to see there's a possibilty of Wood Wharf slowly happening. Canary Wharf really needs to get it going again.

I was in canary wharf On the weekend... There is loads of construction going on.
LondonFox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 03:45 AM   #3084
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Guy View Post
Ballymore's site shows an impression of how the tallest building in the plans a 62 floor residential tower) could look. Quite Rotterdam-esque IMO.
i suppose it looks alright although i don't expect it to become an icon. cw needs more 200m+ buildings in order to expand the skyline to the left side (opposite to o2). the cluster is not very defense at present and it's a lot smaller compared to la defense. but i am sure the weaknesses of cw will be fixed in a few years, the city is doing well with it's u/c quality projects and more towers are also being built in southwark at the same time. the good thing about london is that it can offer various kinds of skylines.

image hosted on flickr

by Kevin Reason

image hosted on flickr

by LiamCH
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 04:10 AM   #3085
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7163

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
I was in canary wharf On the weekend... There is loads of construction going on.
Sure, I suppose not so striking residential towers and projects like Crossrail. I meant something above 200 metres.
Old January 19th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #3086
SO143
BANNED

The Royal Artillery Barracks Woolwich Common

image hosted on flickr

by cocabeenslinky, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

by cocabeenslinky, on Flickr
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #3087
I(L)WTC
Cono Sur ♥

Likes (Received): 8734

Horrible , looks like a cow :S

GRIDO Emblema de la decada ganada

I(L)WTC liked this post
I(L)WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #3088
memoqro
Qro, Qro

Likes (Received): 134

Yes... like an UFO cow

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it"

Amelia Earhart
memoqro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #3089
SO143
BANNED

^

New development around Greenwich Peninsula

image hosted on flickr

Greenwich Peninsula Spire & 14 Pier Walk by cocabeenslinky, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Ravensbouren College - Greenwich Peninsula by cocabeenslinky, on Flickr
Old January 19th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #3091
PortoNuts

Never thought the cable car pillars would have such a big impact.
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #3092
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Likes (Received): 789

That pillar is quite impressive. Can't wait to ride over the Thames in that thing
Old January 19th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #3093
SO143
BANNED

by SE9

This is the new under-construction terminal at Heathrow, for Star Alliance airliners:

Old January 19th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #3094
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Looks similar to heathrow 5, is this an extension to T2?
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #3095
PortoNuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
Looks similar to heathrow 5, is this an extension to T2?
Yes, it looks very similar to Terminal 5 and it's almost as big as it. Now, this is not an extension, it's replacing the old terminal who closed in 2009.
Old January 20th, 2012, 01:04 AM   #3096
SO143
BANNED

New airport for London: Boris Island lift-off: New move to back airport in Thames Estuary

An airport in the Thames Estuary has moved a step closer with the Government set to include the plans in a consultation.The airport has been nicknamed Boris Island because it has been championed by London Mayor Boris Johnson, and would be built on an artificial island made of landfill.It would become Britain’s main international hub, handling 300,000 passengers a day. Having ruled out a third runway at Heathrow after opposition from locals and environmental groups, the Government is ‘increasingly interested’ in the idea. It will be included in a consultation on the future of UK aviation which will begin in March.However, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg is said to be opposed to the scheme, which he believes has not been thought through.And critics yesterday said the proposal was too expensive and would be bad for the environment.

The scheme is expected to cost between £40billion and £70billion. Mr Johnson has also praised separate designs by architect Lord Foster for a £50billion airport on a sparse strip of land on the Isle of Grain in Kent, which juts out into the estuary.But it is the plan for an airport built on an artificial island that is to be part of the consultation.The airport would have four runways, with space to build two more. Ferries, a road and a railway bridge would link the site to Kent and Essex. Planes would descend over the North Sea rather than densely populated parts of London, as many do when coming in to Heathrow. Mr Johnson said yesterday: ‘The Government is increasingly interested in this idea.

You can’t go on expecting Britain to compete economically with France and Germany and other European countries when we simply can’t supply the flights to growth destinations such as China and Latin America. We are now being left badly behind.’But British Airways and its parent company IAG said the Boris Island airport would sound the death knell for Heathrow. ‘A Thames Estuary hub airport would be an extremely complex project with many technical, operational, environmental and financial hurdles to overcome,’ they said.Colin Matthews, chief executive of airport operator BAA, which runs Heathrow, said: ‘An island airport is very expensive. Even if it is agreed, it will be decades away. We need jobs and we need growth in this economy today.’ Downing Street said no decisions had been made but ministers wanted to explore all options.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-Johnson.html
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #3097
PortoNuts

Quote:
1 Lansdown Road Wins Approval

1 Landsdowne Road in Croydon has been approved by the local council's planning committee.

Having previously been called the Odalisk until it was rebranded, the CZWG skyscraper will be the tallest building in the borough of Croydon on the outskirts of south London if built with a height 198.6 metres and 51 floors above ground.

Incidentally, this height will also make the main tower of the scheme the tallest residential building in the United Kingdom beating the currently under construction St George Wharf in Vauxhall.

As well as the 397 apartments, each of which comes with its very own internal wintergarden (of a varying size depending on the budget the occupier has), there will be a 217 room hotel overlooking Wellesley Road that could well have a top floor restaurant, space for offices, and ground floor retail.

1 Lansdowne Road is being developed by Guildhouse-Rosepride LLP, who are something of an unknown quantity when it comes to constructing tall buildings. Nonetheless, with Piers Gough's firm CZWG on board and a distinctive design boasting decorative curves on its façade, they do have a product to mark them out from the bland.
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=3014
Old January 20th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #3098
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
a height 198.6 metres and 51 floors above ground.
that's a shame really. they should increase 1.4 meters so this building will be classified as a skyscraper rather than a highrise.
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #3099
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
that's a shame really. they should increase 1.4 meters so this building will be classified as a skyscraper rather than a highrise.
So they should spend more money to alter the design of the tower just so that it can attain an arbitrary label on an internet forum?

Christ...what world are you living in?
Pennypacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #3100
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennypacker View Post
So they should spend more money to alter the design of the tower just so that it can attain an arbitrary label on an internet forum?

Christ...what world are you living in?
are you on crack blad? the increase of just 1.4 meters won't cost them a fortune and "to alter the design" is just irrelevant and unnecessary thing to say. even 200m building built in croydon won't make a big impact on the london skyline, considering that this building would be too isolated from the current clusters. london has got about 50 towers at present (about 25 more than frankfurt) which stand above 100m+ but majority of them are just invisible in almost all the pictures except a handful amount of skyscrapers in the city and about 3 or 4 in cw. buildings are too far apart and insanely spread out and no wonder why most people say london skyline sucks. imo london needs more towers which height is at least equivalent to 1cs or above in order to make an impact on the skyline and to form a good looking cluster.

and please stop stalking me, you're freaking me out.

Last edited by SO143; January 20th, 2012 at 07:25 AM.

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom