daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 20th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #3101
I(L)WTC
Cono Sur ♥

Likes (Received): 8735

Cable car in London? Why?!?!

GRIDO Emblema de la decada ganada

I(L)WTC liked this post
I(L)WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #3102
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

by wawd

City Peninsula

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #3103
Crash_N
L'enfant terrible

Likes (Received): 789

Quote:
Originally Posted by I(L)WTC View Post
Why not?
Old January 20th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #3104
SkyscraperSuperman

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Because it's something different, a new tourist attraction, a source of income for London, and it's a useful river crossing for the area, to save having to drive. Plus, I bet the views will be great.

Also a musician, climber, creative writer, diver and world traveller!

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/TheTitanAtlas

Flickr page (The_Titan_Atlas):
http://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]
SkyscraperSuperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #3105
Axelferis

Likes (Received): 2210

cable cars is the most wanted things i want to see my next time in london.

Each time i go iam at docklands which is truly remarkable landscape.
Even my wife is sold on this part of London.
We have the impression to breathe a fresh ocean air there. i love this part of london , it is my prefered. Everytime i choose to take a room or apart there.

This cable car for a photograph will be a fantastic point of view for pics...
Axelferis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #3106
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Water quality sewage upgrade project at half-way point

19 January 2012

A major sewage upgrade project which aims to increase the capacity of London's treatment works by 50% is half-way towards completion, according to Thames Water.

The £140m works at Modgen sewage works in Isleworth, London started in August 2010 as part of a London-wide scheme to invest £675m in all five sewage works in the capital.

According to Thames Water, these upgrades will increase the amount of sewage the sites can treat. This is expected to reduce the need for storm tanks and limit storm discharges into the river.

It is anticipated the work will also improve the standard of sewage treatment at each of the works, helping Thames Water improve water quality in the Thames.

The work is expected to complete by March 2013.

Thames Water head of programme delivery, Nick Fawcett, said: "We still have a 200-strong team working on the site but the focus of the activity is now shifting from civil engineering - such as building foundations and tanks, to mechanical engineering and electrical installation, which will help to get the tanks up and running."
http://www.edie.net/news/news_story....alf-way+point+
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #3107
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7170

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
are you on crack blad? the increase of just 1.4 meters won't cost them a fortune and "to alter the design" is just irrelevant and unnecessary thing to say. even 200m building built in croydon won't make a big impact on the london skyline, considering that this building would be too isolated from the current clusters. london has got about 50 towers at present (about 25 more than frankfurt) which stand above 100m+ but majority of them are just invisible in almost all the pictures except a handful amount of skyscrapers in the city and about 3 or 4 in cw. buildings are too far apart and insanely spread out and no wonder why most people say london skyline sucks. imo london needs more towers which height is at least equivalent to 1cs or above in order to make an impact on the skyline and to form a good looking cluster.

and please stop stalking me, you're freaking me out.
This might seem strange to many skyscraper fans, but "normal people" in their day to day lives couldn't care less if a building is officially considered a skyscraper or not.
Old January 20th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #3108
essjaybee

Likes (Received): 41

"Thames Water head of programme delivery, Nick Fawcett, said.....
essjaybee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #3109
robhood

Likes (Received): 3357

Quote:
robhood está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #3110
Pennypacker

Likes (Received): 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO143 View Post
and please stop stalking me, you're freaking me out.
How am I stalking you? You post in EVERY ******* thread on this forum. It's impossible to avoid you.
Pennypacker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #3111
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennypacker View Post
How am I stalking you? You post in EVERY ******* thread on this forum. It's impossible to avoid you.

perhaps you also visit every fcuking single thread on this entire ssc?

what about if you just calm the fcuk down and stop criticising my posts? you're genuinely getting on my nerves, now move on.
Old January 20th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #3112
Luca111-_
Europamente Europeo

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhood View Post
Isn't it a temporary structure?
Luca111-_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #3113
sgroutage

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca111-_ View Post
Isn't it a temporary structure?
No.
sgroutage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 03:15 AM   #3114
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7170

Quote:
Centre Point Set For Residential-led Overhaul

Listed modernist London icon, Centre Point, which stands atop the key junction between New Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road has had plans mooted for an overhaul that would turn it into a largely residential building.

Controversial when built, the tower itself has gradually become more and more loved as the years have gone past, although compliments are usually framed with the counterpoint that the base is a mess.

Developed Almacantar is the latest to propose its redevelopment after the previous ideas by Targetfollow fell by the wayside following their collapse during the world financial crisis.

Almacantar, which picked up Centre Point for £120 million in 2010, has hired Conran & Partners to convert the main tower into a selection of new flats from its current office space that was only renovated five years ago by Rolfe Judd Architects.

In addition to them, Rick Mather has been signed up to give the interior of Centre Point House an overhaul. Less famous than its taller brother, this is the low-rise Seifert apartment block that stands next to the tower.

Mather has already established a reputation as a tasteful renovator of listed buildings as any visitor to the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, a project which he led, will testify.

Here, the key for both firms will be rejuvenate the interior of the tower, and exploit to the full the lucrative location in London's West End and stunning views, whilst respecting the listed fabric of the building and retaining its exterior look. If done well it could prove as popular as Trellick Tower, another sixties building that has been given a new lease of life.

As such the only major external change is expected to be finally dealing with the messy base of the tower. The main problem with this is the road that runs through the site that has managed to take on the appearance of a dreary bus-choked underpass. The plans could see this road finally removed and a public space replace it which will prove something of a relief for the pedestrians which have to cross it.

Although Almacantar is a new name in the London property business the company brings much experience to the table - Mike Hussey, the former head of Land Securities now runs it, so any proposals should be taken seriously.

The developer is due to show off their proposals for the site for the first time next month.
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=3015
Old January 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM   #3115
DanielG!

Likes (Received): 448

I love the cablecar project.
DanielG! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2012, 09:23 PM   #3116
SO143
BANNED

kool

Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:51 AM   #3117
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Santander sells Thames Water stake to China

Two Iberian investors were behind the surprise sale of an 8.68pc stake in Thames Water to a Chinese sovereign wealth fund, in a deal that follows British government attempts to court infrastructure investment from China.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...-to-China.html
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:55 AM   #3118
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
London, like Hong Kong, could build a new airport within a decade

21 Jan 2012 Thames Estuary airport proposals

SIR – Planning studies carried out for the 2001 airports White Paper looked at the whole of the South East. It would be plain common sense to build as close as possible to the heart of England but, while there are several sites with potential, the fury which would result from even thinking about a massive new inland airport would make HS2 look like a picnic.

Both the Lord Foster plan and the Boris Island plan for the Thames Estuary ignore a preferable site. In the 1999 study that included the estuary, the transport department preferred the Isle of Grain site. In the last decade the Isle of Grain has become less suitable, with the further development of the gas terminal.

The other estuary option then favoured by many of the study team was to build on the edge of the Isle of Sheppey.

The advantages of Sheppey remain as they were then: greatly reduced noise impact on south-east London; distance from Heathrow sufficient for both airports to operate to the full; adequate clearances from both the gas terminal and the USS Richard Montgomery.

The M2 and Channel tunnel rail link would be no farther than for the Foster site and the costs of construction would be no greater.

Boris Island, by comparison, would be far more costly and take longer to build. Without unduly prolonging consultation, Sheppey should be given consideration as a more sensible compromise site.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/l...-a-decade.html
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:57 AM   #3119
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
London 2012: 675 social rented homes for new village

20 January 2012

The number of apartments in the Olympic Village that will become rented social housing once athletes have used them this summer has been outlined.

The village in Stratford, east London, will accommodate competitors during the Olympics and Paralympics but once the Games end it will become East Village.

Triathlon Homes, the owner of the development's 1,379 affordable homes, has announced that 675 units will be rented as social housing.

Newham Council will receive 350.

The development will also have 1,439 private homes which will mainly be available to rent and set at the market rate.

The village, within the Olympic Park, is designed to be a lasting legacy of the Games.

Of the homes allocated for rented social use, 100 will be shared among other east London boroughs including Barking and Dagenham and Hackney.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16655455
Old January 22nd, 2012, 11:23 AM   #3120
SO143
BANNED

Hilton Wembley U/C

image hosted on flickr

More blocks to fit by (Mick Baker)rooster, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Hilton Wembley by (Mick Baker)rooster, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr