daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 4th, 2006, 12:27 PM   #301
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

I actually quite like that, it isnt too tall and it's a bit bulky but it appears to incorporate nice roof terraces and greenery. Hopefully the facade will be up to scratch, like plantation place.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #302
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

Likes (Received): 13

How on Earth do you bring down a 30-storey building in the middle of London? Truly incredible.

More generally, I think it's amazing (and a true testament to the power of capitalism! that anything at all gets built in London - there's just so much to deal with there.

For anyone who's wondering why we keep banging on about this, here's a brief (and no doubt incomplete) list of factors that are particularly prominent in London: historic views, underground utilities, Tube tunnels & access points, demolition & construction in a busy 24-hour urban environment, strict planning laws, maintaining respect for listed buildings, awaiting the expiration of (sometimes dozens of) leases before demolition can begin. I could go on!

Great stuff... can't wait to move down again in September!
Old July 6th, 2006, 03:34 AM   #303
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

A question for the londoners here:

With all these tall buildings going up in such a concentrated area, it is safe to assume that several thousands more people will be trying to reach their shiny new workplaces by public transport. The Tube is crammed full enough as it is... are TfL doing anything to increase Tube & vus capacity to the area? How on Earth will they cope?!
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #304
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
A question for the londoners here:

With all these tall buildings going up in such a concentrated area, it is safe to assume that several thousands more people will be trying to reach their shiny new workplaces by public transport. The Tube is crammed full enough as it is... are TfL doing anything to increase Tube & vus capacity to the area? How on Earth will they cope?!
I actually don't believe the impact will be that great... Most of the jobs being moved into these towers exist already in other parts of the Square Mile, so its not as if each new desk in each new tower represents an extra journey into The City. Very many City workers are disgorged by the mainline termini around the edge of the Square Mile like Liverpool St, Fenchurch St, Cannon St, Moorgate, London Bridge... they then walk to their desks anyway.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2006, 01:54 PM   #305
lasdun

Likes (Received): 7

TFL are doing things to increase capacity, the Subsurface lines (circle, district, ham&city, Met) upgrade will help, East London Line will have stations at whitechapel and Shorditch High Street - neither is more than a quick walk/bus from the east/n.east of the city. The DLR is going 3 units, the northern is being resignaled, the central is being tweeked a bit and the waterloo and city is being fully refurbed as I write (much to the annoyence of its regulars).

Plus there is the mystical posibilties of Cross Rail and Thameslink 2000/2010/3000 which Network Rail and ken are currently begging about for.

The optimist in me tells me that everything will be fine. The realist recognises that half of that stuff will never happen and the other half will take a few more decades than planned. The olympics doesn't even seem to be enough to get people to pull it together. I'll be on my bike then.
lasdun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #306
Chief
Izzle Bizzle

I do recognise that each new desk doesn't represent one more return journey, but all these scrapers do have the effect of concentrating many journeys to previously many diverse locations to at least the same number of journeys (more likely to be more) than before.

But anyway, thanks for the info - good to know that at least some things are being done.
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:27 PM   #307
Tubeman
Jubilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
I do recognise that each new desk doesn't represent one more return journey, but all these scrapers do have the effect of concentrating many journeys to previously many diverse locations to at least the same number of journeys (more likely to be more) than before.

But anyway, thanks for the info - good to know that at least some things are being done.
I think you're missing my point... The City is literally just one square mile, commuters walk to their desks from the mainline termini in general as at worst they're looking at one tube stop beyond the termini, not worth the effort. The office space is already very concentrated in the area anyway, I really don't think a few skyscrapers being built adjacent to each other would have much of a noticeable effect.
Old July 8th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #308
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

3D view of the City by gothicform -

[IMG]http://i6.************/1zclqo6.jpg[/IMG]
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #309
Nongkhai_tong
Tong

Likes (Received): 38

WOW !!!!
Nongkhai_tong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #310
Tubeman
Jubilation

What are the buildings bottom left

They look at least 100m
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:11 AM   #311
brunob
USA until further notice

Likes (Received): 19

Looks like the area between commercial road and Whitechapel,with a bit of the R. london hospital redev. doesn't it?
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM   #312
jef

Likes (Received): 5

I have uploaded into Google Earth Community a 3D Google Earth model of Canary Wharf:

It can be downloaded from this post:
here.

Examples:

[IMG]http://i1.************/1zyucfd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1.************/1zywzfd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i2.************/205xfmw.jpg[/IMG]
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #313
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6531

really amazing
ZZ-II está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 11:25 AM   #314
E2
Where did it go wrong?

Likes (Received): 0

"Looks like the area between commercial road and Whitechapel,with a bit of the R. london hospital redev. doesn't it?"

Your right, it is around that area- though the London hospital is only really 2 19-story towers isn't it? I think they still have a 17 story link bridge over the road in their scheme- that was always the bit that impressed me about that redevelopment. Is there anything else going up in that area?
E2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 12:04 PM   #315
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
What are the buildings bottom left

They look at least 100m
Phase 2 of Aldgate Union and the hotel/residential tower on Alie Street.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:50 PM   #316
wjfox
Futurist

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=666

Open House 2006

September is approaching and if you love visiting normally private buildings and sampling some of the best in British architecture - it's coming up to time for the annual Open House.

For those of you who don't know, Open House is the opening up to the British public of buildings normally closed to it who can wander around for free.

This year promises to again open up the iconic skyscraper 30 St Mary's Axe, or the Gherkin if you like silly names, to people on the 16th and 17th of September. This was a building that was noticeably missing from the programme last year and one that proved so popular in 2004 that the queues were up to 8 hours long. Reputedly over 2000 people queued to get in, so if you want to visit this time around you'd best get there early.

Another notable building that will be open is Portcullis House, the large office block for MPs that stands opposite Parliament and is joined to the Palace of Westminster by an underground tunnel.

We also understand that the old favourite, Lloyds of London will be open again too but as with the Gherkin you�ll have to expect long, long queues.

To enhance this visiting experience this year a programme called "Meet the Makers" will happen where some of the architects, engineers and building managers will give guided tours of the buildings and explain their workings as machines for people, something London Houses founding director, Victoria Thornton has described as "experiencing a building in the flesh - inside and out, can help you understand it, assess it, in a way you never could from a picture."

We'll bring you more details on the full London House programme when it's announced in the middle of August.

Old July 26th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #317
wjfox
Futurist

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=675

2006-07-26 > Tate Extension Exposed

More images have been unveiled as part of the p.r push that the Tate Modern in the South Bank of London is making for a new extension.

The scheme has been designed by Herzog & de Meuron, the award winning architects who were responsible for the original makeover of Bankside Power Station into the gallery it is today. It will sit to the immediate south of the Tate Modern and should provide 23,400 square metres of new space for the gallery, just over the road from Bankside 123.

Herzog & de Meuron have envisaged a huge pyramidal stack of glass boxes rising to a central point. With their contents visible from the outside it will let the public watch the public watching art converting the rooms on the eight floors into display space in their own right.

There will also be a 400 seat auditorium included in the development plus the option of 7,000 square metres of space for another artistic organisation, 1350 trees planted in the area and a pedestrian route running through the building melding art and the streetscape into one.

This is bound to be a controversial project to some, not because of the design quality but because of the use of lottery funds for it. Many people believe the Tate already has plenty of space and that the Turbine Hall is rarely utilised, often exhibitions fill only a fraction of the huge space.

With this situation its arguable the Tate needs to spend tens of millions on this project. Supporters however take a different approach believing that this huge Turbine Hall space allows the Tate Modern to do massive displays no other gallery would be able to exhibit and should remain under-utilised so it can be drawn on when needed.

At £165 million it's not coming cheap and there are certainly plenty of other worthy causes, but with the Olympics opening in 2012 there is great political demand in London for a modern architectural icon that can rival the Guggenheim in Bilbao and stamp the South Bank indelibly in the world's eyes as London's leading cultural quarter making it likely to go-ahead.

Meanwhile, Southwark Council have also had a detailed application for the much delayed Architecture Foundation, designed by Zaha Hadid. With some faces highly reflective and others totally transparent the crystalline design will sit on Southwark Street as part of the Bankside 123 development by Land Securities and combine the headquarters of the foundation with public exhibition and meeting space.

Just a stone throw away from the Tate this should cement the reputation of the area way past the opening jingle of TVs the South Bank Show. The Architecture Foundation hope to open up their doors in 2008.

Old July 29th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #318
wjfox
Futurist

Minerva Tower cancelled

It's official - the Minerva Tower has been cancelled.

Originally planned as a 53-storey/247m skyscraper on the eastern edge of the City, it's now been cut down to just 13 storeys,
but retains much of the floorspace from before.

[img]http://i5.************/20r3gop.jpg[/img]
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:50 PM   #319
european

Likes (Received): 25

What a shame, it was a nice tower.
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 04:56 PM   #320
eklips

Likes (Received): 5032

yep, was a cool tower, sorry for the londoners
eklips no está en línea   Reply With Quote