daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2006, 01:01 AM   #421
jonnyboy

Likes (Received): 85

oh that deserved a good kickin!!!!
jonnyboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2006, 02:06 AM   #422
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

how about they opened the are up and created a new public square that would connect Waterloo, South Bank and Westminster....

now there's a thought.

Hopefully when Ken gets his new powers he won't have to wait for some developer to have a proposal before he can stick his oar in, he will be able to shape the city for its citizens.
Old September 5th, 2006, 09:35 PM   #423
BenL

Likes (Received): 4

I can't see how it would work with Westminster being on the other side of the river to Waterloo station and South Bank. I remember getting a rather nerdy SSC feeling whenever I saw that bridge from Waterloo to South Bank that goes over the road by the Imax - that this would be a tourist's first sights of the city and would go on to form their impressions of London.

However, walking there maybe three weeks ago I was quite impressed: Very soon after getting past the Shell tower, you can see the Thames, London Eye and soon after the Houses of Parliament. Royal Festival Hall is also coming along nicely. The South Bank has come along a hell of a lot way since the London Eye was built, I see no reason why it shouldn't get even better.

Regarding Westminster, it would be impossible to build any significant new squares in the area.
BenL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:15 PM   #424
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Last edited by enith; September 5th, 2006 at 10:22 PM.
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:16 PM   #425
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD

Likes (Received): 1537

Im sorry but I have to be honest, I find parts of the South Bank too sterile. A few monolithic concrete blocks, and some developments fenced off further down do not make a great area for me. It has its wonderful moments of course ! The London Eye is a moment of genius for example. I dont know, those that know me know that im a hopeless romantic...too deep for my own good at times. I see the South Bank as it was, so human...so full of dense life and activity. Well we cant turn back the clock so I want the South bank to live up to the hype, and pay true homage to its past.

For me its density that is important in that area. A mass of teeming buildings full of creative dynamism that make the South Bank a hotbed of.........yes well you get the point.

Last edited by enith; September 5th, 2006 at 10:21 PM.
Zenith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:35 AM   #426
london lad

Likes (Received): 2259

Theres supposed to be new plans for the south bank released towards the end of the year. We know the design museum wants to move to a new HQ somewhere along here The Museum of Moving Image (BFI) is looking at the site of the hungerford carpark for a new building. Its even been suggested the nasty Hayward Gallery may be demolished.Also remember theres the proposed 3 towers (which should have gone in planning last month- not sure why they didn't) at waterloo which will replace the 60's office blocks that run along York road & Jubliee garedns is due a facelift in the next year or 2. Added to this is the Doon St tower that will include the new Rambarts dance HQ & a new piazza linking to Waterloon bridge.

Hopefully if they can all get ther act together & plan to have them done for say the olympics in 2012 it would do a great deal for this area.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #427
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

Stock Exchange reclad is making good progress -

Photo by Rickster2K.
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #428
european

Likes (Received): 25

nice update.
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 10:58 AM   #429
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3251

Are there any more detailed renderings of the reclad than the minute ones that were floating around a couple of years ago?

My recollection is that its going to end up with flat glass sides instead of the current 'ribbed' concrete ones... I suppose this means in effect the windows are being moved outwards?
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #430
Nongkhai_tong
Tong

Likes (Received): 38

very nice update indeed!
Nongkhai_tong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #431
Dan1987

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman
Are there any more detailed renderings of the reclad than the minute ones that were floating around a couple of years ago?

My recollection is that its going to end up with flat glass sides instead of the current 'ribbed' concrete ones... I suppose this means in effect the windows are being moved outwards?

I wonder how they're going to do this reclad, don't those concrete columns support the structure? How are they going to remove them without the building falling apart? The mind boggles! I think this is why they're taking so long with the reclad, it looks so damn complex
Dan1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #432
Rational Plan

Likes (Received): 675

I don't think those columns do support the structure. I sure I saw a picture where they have already stripped back part of one wall lower down. Behind only in 3 or 4 is there a real column.
Rational Plan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #433
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

There are rumours on the UK forum that St George's Wharf (180m) has begun construction!
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 03:48 PM   #434
european

Likes (Received): 25

Lets hope its true.
european no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #435
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3251

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
There are rumours on the UK forum that St George's Wharf (180m) has begun construction!
LOL as if they could keep a 180m tower a secret!
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 08:55 PM   #436
capslock
Ho hum

Likes (Received): 1654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rational Plan
I don't think those columns do support the structure. I sure I saw a picture where they have already stripped back part of one wall lower down. Behind only in 3 or 4 is there a real column.
Yup, what you see on the outside are the pre-cast concrete cladding panels, and it's those which are being removed, not the columns.

*EDIT*

Also, because the external concrete cladding is heavier than the modern unitised cladding system that's replacing it, you can in theory remove some of the external columns because the building's lighter. You have to stiffen the slab edge where you do this but although it sounds scary, it's perfectly feasible to do. This means you can increase the amount of floor area and the amount of natural light gained form the perimeter.

Old September 13th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #437
jimbo

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
but they've been completely discounted, so you can sleep safely at night foxy.

St George need to start actively marketing the tower before they break ground on something so big and expensive.
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:22 AM   #438
london lad

Likes (Received): 2259

Land Secs 160m 39 storey Vinoly Tower got planning permission last Tuesday.

The current tower is vacant but construction of the new one wont start untill an adequate pre-let is achieved
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:39 PM   #439
AXISPAW

Likes (Received): 5

this is the redesigned beetham tower, now stands at 180 metres, and the overhang has been reduced.
plus good and bad news for the shard, the good it has now secured full equity so now can 100%go ahead but bad is the pwc twats have mucked their plans up for moving and prob wont move out till late 2007 now.
the 160metre walkie talkie has also been approved and ready for construction next year.
AXISPAW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:59 PM   #440
AXISPAW

Likes (Received): 5

oh and 1 more thing according to emporis north quey has been approved! if anyone has any further info it would be nice cheers!
AXISPAW no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom