daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #561
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13284

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbboy View Post
why arent they coming up with new innovative designs...like in dubai?
Let me get this straight - you think SwissRe isn't innovative? Probably the one skyscraper in the world that has received more attention than any other during the last 5 years? The building which has won several major awards including the RIBA Stirling Prize for Architecture?

Then we have 122 Leadenhall. Well, let's see... how many giant, triangular wedge-shaped skyscrapers with external glass lifts do you know of? Look at the base, which manages to create an extension of the neighbouring public space. Or the gradually decreasing floor plates as the building rises, allowing different sizes of tenants to be catered for.

Then there's the Bishopsgate Tower - with its dramatic pinnacle, folded "helter skelter" shape, an uplifted skirt-like base, energy-conserving solar panel cladding and a "snake-skin" texture.

Then there's London Bridge Tower, which manages to be reminiscent of the London captured by paintings of Canaletto, with their beautiful 17th century church spires. The tapering spire helps reduce the profile making it smaller and less bulky, yet at the same time giving it tremendous soar factor. The cladding is made of ultra-reflective "extra white" glass that will change colour depending on the weather and the time of day. Inside, the building is incredibly green and environmentally-friendly; it's also mixed-use and very accessible to the public. It's hard to imagine a more appropriate skyscraper for London. It's just perfect.

There are numerous other towers with unique and interesting high-quality designs - the Multiplex Tower, the Beetham Tower, Heron Tower, the Willis Building, etc.

How can you look through that list and claim there's a lack of innovation? If we were constructing a load of "boxy" skyscrapers with little thought or creativity going into them, I could understand. But London clearly has a unique and extremely varied collection of towers being proposed, and some of them will undoubtedly be seen as innovative (such as the already-built 30 St Mary Axe).

I really despair at some of the comments on this forum sometimes.

Last edited by wjfox; December 16th, 2006 at 01:06 PM.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #562
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

The moment London starts getting trully out of place, Dubai-esque buildings I am going to lose all respect for it.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #563
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3254

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
Let me get this straight - you think SwissRe isn't innovative? Probably the one skyscraper in the world that has received more attention than any other during the last 5 years? The building which has won several major awards including the RIBA Stirling Prize for Architecture?

Then we have 122 Leadenhall. Well, let's see... how many giant, triangular wedge-shaped skyscrapers with external glass lifts do you know of? Look at the base, which manages to create an extension of the neighbouring public space. Or the gradually decreasing floor plates as the building rises, allowing different sizes of tenants to be catered for.

Then there's the Bishopsgate Tower - with its dramatic pinnacle, folded "helter skelter" shape, an uplifted skirt-like base, energy-conserving solar panel cladding and a "snake-skin" texture.

Then there's London Bridge Tower, which manages to be reminiscent of the London captured by paintings of Canaletto, with their beautiful 17th century church spires. The tapering spire helps reduce the profile making it smaller and less bulky, yet at the same time giving it tremendous soar factor. The cladding is made of ultra-reflective "extra white" glass that will change colour depending on the weather and the time of day. Inside, the building is incredibly green and environmentally-friendly; it's also mixed-use and very accessible to the public. It's hard to imagine a more appropriate skyscraper for London. It's just perfect.

There are numerous other towers with unique and interesting high-quality designs - the Multiplex Tower, the Beetham Tower, Heron Tower, the Willis Building, etc.

How can you look through that list and claim there's a lack of innovation? If we were constructing a load of "boxy" skyscrapers with little thought or creativity going into them, I could understand. But London clearly has a unique and extremely varied collection of towers being proposed, and some of them will undoubtedly be seen as innovative (such as the already-built 30 St Mary Axe).

I really despair at some of the comments on this forum sometimes.
Thank you Will, you posted exactly what I was thinking whilst sparing me the effort
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #564
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

You have to remember for a lot of people on SSC unless your city is building massive, bizarre looking towers that will remain empty for years, then you can't be taken seriously.
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #565
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbboy View Post
why arent they coming up with new innovative designs...like in dubai?
Sorry, are you comparing the capital of the world to a monstrosity f**kfest?
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #566
Newcastle Guy

Quote:
Here's another story. This is actually from a few months back, but I only found out today. According to Property Week, there are plans by Investream to redevelop this site, neighbouring the Willis Building. The scheme will contain at least 600,000 sq ft, so will include something quite tall -

I reckon it could be atleast 150m. It is literally right next to a brand new 125m tower, and it would step up very well from Lloyds and the steps of Willis. As long as Ruth 'the evil, sadistic, skyscraper hating bitch' Kelly doesn't stick her smelly undeserved oar in.

Last edited by Newcastle Guy; December 16th, 2006 at 08:01 PM.
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #567
wjfox
Futurist

I expect we'll see another hulking glass block, like Plantation Place.

The two sites are pretty similar in area, and the floorspace will be almost the same too.

Large floorplates are needed in the City to compete with Canary Wharf.

Groundscrapers are also cheaper and easier to construct than skyscrapers.

Last edited by wjfox; December 16th, 2006 at 08:24 PM.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 08:52 PM   #568
Phil
For great justice

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
Sorry, are you comparing the capital of the world to a monstrosity f**kfest?
Aw come on, Dubai isn't the Capital of the world

jk

Last edited by Phil; December 16th, 2006 at 09:00 PM.
Phil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #569
Newcastle Guy

God I hope not Will, It is perfect for a 150m tower to step up from Willis
Old December 16th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #570
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

Dubai in my opinion is overrated and gets too much credit just because it's constructing highrises on every corner, but I'm not bashing it because it is a truly wonderful rich city to visit. Not comparable to London/NYC/Tokyo on a different scale.

Last edited by Myster E; December 16th, 2006 at 11:13 PM.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #571
Tubeman
Jubilation

Plantation Place is one of the worst buildings in London... Not for quality, but for the way it cheekily tries to cram as much floorspace into its walls as possible whilst trying to make minimal impact on the skyline. It personifies dull.

Just to think: we could have had a tower plus a park on the same site whilst providing the same floorspace
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #572
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 188

I agree with Tubeman. It had potential and it was wasted. Also the name makes it sound like they employ slaves in there... Rather eerie.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #573
eXSBass
Tea. Earl grey. Hot.

Likes (Received): 264

The cladding's beautiful though!
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #574
wjfox
Futurist

Here are some renderings of the new Walbrook Square development, posted by Jef.

Not sure if I like this. It's quite futuristic... but there's something about the design which seems really odd. The shape and overall form is confusing; it's bulky and could spoil views of the emerging cluster behind it. From certain angles it looks really stumpy and fat. What does everyone else think?

[IMG]http://i14.************/447y0zr.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i10.************/4ibi3wx.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i17.************/45190lf.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i11.************/2ykhoif.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i13.************/4g8uj4i.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.************/2r2cf4h.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i14.************/43yrehj.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i10.************/2w6s9pl.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i10.************/40m9zd5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i13.************/2r7vz9e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i13.************/42nzhav.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i17.************/2zgi51v.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #575
Tubeman
Jubilation

As I said in the UK section: I love it!
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #576
Skabbymuff
Living in the past SUCKS

Likes (Received): 25

hmm, i cant decide if i like it or not either! yes, it is futuristic, but i cant decide, and i dont know why! overall i think i do, i feel it adds more variety to the skyline, theres nothing else quite like it there, in fact it is so unique and sleek, yes, i do like it!
Old December 18th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #577
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 229

Again...I really don't know. It's nice...perhaps...but not...perhaps?

This is such a confusing building.
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 03:30 AM   #578
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXSBass View Post
The cladding's beautiful though!
I find the cladding monotonus and dull - it might well be the highest quality in the world, but when viewed on the skyline its nothing more than a huge wall of green, cheap looking glass that wouldnt be out of place down at CW

Quote:
Here are some renderings of the new Walbrook Square development, posted by Jef.

Not sure if I like this. It's quite futuristic... but there's something about the design which seems really odd. The shape and overall form is confusing; it's bulky and could spoil views of the emerging cluster behind it. From certain angles it looks really stumpy and fat. What does everyone else think?
And this thing is hideous - quite possibly one of the worst serious proposals i have ever seen in London. It looks like a giant blue version of Mr Blobby sitting in the centre of London.

It looks terrible at street level as they have obviously tried to shoehorn far more office space in than will actually fit on the site.

First Foster gives us the GLA and More London now he wants to give us this monster
Old December 18th, 2006, 01:46 PM   #579
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Well itīs 100 times better than thee current building so...hell yes!
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #580
nukey
Somnium Quinti

Likes (Received): 7

I find this building realy unpleasant -not the tower cos i quite like that, but the HUGE medium-rise bits that look like giant slugs on the skyline, hoovering up everything around them. Its all just so ungainly....

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom