daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #7001
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60334

Earls Court regeneration | Earls Court SW5

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1323805

Official website: http://www.myearlscourt.com/

The final seal of approval for the project was given today by London's transport authority, Transport for London (TfL). The deal paves the way for construction:

- Reuters: CapCo seals deal to flatten London's Earls Court centre

- Bloomberg: CapCo Agrees With Transport for London on Earls Court Framework

- Financial Times: Discussions between Capco and TfL advance

The £8 billion ($12.2bn) project involves the construction of 7,500 homes and office space:

The project involves the demolition of the iconic Earls Court exhibition centre, which has been usurped by Excel London as London's premier exhibition/event space:

image hosted on flickr

Front of Earls Court by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by SE9; July 19th, 2013 at 01:55 AM.
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #7002
SE9
South East Nine

The Leadenhall Building | City of London EC3

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=415718

Official website: http://www.theleadenhallbuilding.com/

July update: cladding has nearly reached the top of the building's northern face. Photos taken this week by forumer lumberjack:

image hosted on flickr

OO7A2575 by Lumberjack_London, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

OO7A2609 by Lumberjack_London, on Flickr
Old July 19th, 2013, 01:39 AM   #7003
SE9
South East Nine

20 Fenchurch Street | City of London EC3

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=321409

Official website: http://www.20fenchurchstreet.co.uk/

July update: external cladding has reached the top of the tower. Work is ongoing on the roof structure:

image hosted on flickr

Walkie Talkie Building by The Wonderer ..., on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

City from Hay's Galleria by stevekeiretsu, on Flickr

TowerVerre:), Manchester77, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 19th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #7004
bonquiqui

Likes (Received): 20

The last pic is stunning I have never been there but I got close when I went to the View
bonquiqui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 02:02 AM   #7005
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25122

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
anyone outside the Green Belt wont consider themselves suburbs of London, even if theyre contiguous. For example the residents of Slough or Staines or Woking would NEVER think of themselves as Londoners, despite spotting red double deckers on one route and having Oyster cards still validated, or if they ever felt the urge to walk all the way into Trafalgar Square. Even places like Kingston that are much much closer would, out of sheer snobbery, feel themselves apart, places like Richmond (home of the uber rich) still consider themselves part of Surrey despite being made a London borough in 1965. The same with down at heel areas like Romford, middle class areas like Gillingham etc. All the commuter towns that pepper the region even worse. London's some place they work in at the end of the line, and hate, but occasionally party and shop in. That's why they live out here. Also most people don't even know.
Thank you for the info, large parts of New Jersey here often feel the same way and try to separate themselves from Nyc.

Quote:
Plus bear in mind every ward in the city will have a relatively self sufficient high street and town centre, whether youre in central Islington or way out in Woking - hence why London is known as a 'city of villages' due to the countless ones that have been swallowed up:

Everywhere they have town centres, even the contiguous London edges:
yes, I noticed this too while going around London. New York as well has gobbled up many, many villages in its growth and hence you can find countless town centers and larger downtowns throughout the urban area.

Quote:
The Green Belt - one vast urban/rural fabric - but not suburbia:

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4d/Southend_aerial_220608.jpg/800px-Southend_aerial_220608.jpg[/img

[img]http://media.rightmove.co.uk/45k/44315/19761214/44315_CHM080212_IMG_00_0000.JPG[/img

[img]http://www.taylorwimpey.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/806EA2F1-B4CE-4B43-A57E-F5E736098E6F/126126/XTWWL184_AerialPhotography.jpg[/img

[img]http://www.beaufortparkoffices.com/images/bracknell-aerial.jpg[/img
[img]http://www.surreyproperty.com/photos2/Large/005DSC_0483.jpg[/img

[img]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3008/3047293275_f16a4a4ea5_z.jpg[/ig]

most of these look like run of the mill suburbia (except the first one), but I def see your point about London's metro population being hard to pin down whichever method is used.

Cheers

the spliff fairy liked this post
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #7006
SE9
South East Nine

Landmark North (City Pride) | Canary Wharf

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=613565

The 239m Landmark North tower was approved last night

image hosted on flickr
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:26 AM   #7007
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

How come it was rejected the first time and now approved? Tower Hamlets suprised me

Good news anyway!

When construction realistically can start? I believe they have funds to do it.
Quicksilver está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #7008
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface79 View Post
and nobody is disputing that! again city limitations for NYC and London are obviously quite different and if we stick to the strict city limit as in NYC the number for London is 3 Mill, that's all I was pointing out; tho when the complexity of London's geography is taken into account the number is 8 Mill. But we're beating a dead horse here, I think everybody's point have been made, I'll live it there and keep enjoying new developments in London.
And NYC as an INNER CITY is comprised of 5 boroughs not just manhattan.
The most common definition of NYC is the 5 boroughs. Indeed it's the only definition.

The same can be said for Greater London. It's the only administrative definition that matters. Inner London is never used. There is no boundary, physical or administrative, between Inner and Outer London, so I'm not sure what you mean by "strict city limit as in NYC". There is no "city limit" whatsoever on the border of Inner London. NYC is also 2.5x larger than Inner London by land area (319 km2 to 784 km2). Inner London and NYC are not comparable at all. Greater London and NYC are.

I also don't think places like Staten Island are equivalent to anywhere in Inner London. Staten Island is comparable to Outer London, as is much of Queens. It's inconceivable that airports like JFK or LaGuardia could be located in Inner London.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

TowerVerre:), LDN_EUROPE liked this post

Last edited by Langur; July 19th, 2013 at 08:00 PM.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #7009
bonquiqui

City Pride
Old July 19th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #7010
DeFiBkIlLeR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 545

Excellent news, not to mention surprising, regarding City Pride....

Another week, another tower for London...ho-hum..
DeFiBkIlLeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 02:08 PM   #7011
Daviegraham
Davie

Likes (Received): 160

150m Baltimore Tower will be rising in CW as well, great to see steady improvement. City Pride I believe will also make a really dramatic & positive impact.

SO143 liked this post
Daviegraham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 03:56 PM   #7012
TowerVerre:)

Likes (Received): 1815

What about Riverside South?
TowerVerre:) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #7013
bonquiqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
that's the most confusing of them all everyone says they are building the basement only hence all the activities around but to be honest with you noone knows anything about that one

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Old July 19th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #7014
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
The basements are under construction, but the main part of the towers are not yet funded, so it probably won't proceed beyond the basements until there's a pre-let.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

TowerVerre:) liked this post
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:51 PM   #7015
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
Inner London and NYC are not comparable at all. Greater London and NYC are.
Indeed they are since inner London and NYC are considered the core of their respective regions. (As political entities, of course they aren't as you have said)

Quote:
I also don't think places like Staten Island are equivalent to anywhere in Inner London. Staten Island is comparable to Outer London, as is much of Queens. It's inconceivable that airports like JFK or LaGuardia could be located in Inner London.
Agreed, Staten Island is the forgotten step-child of NYC. Most of Queens, on the other hand, is still pretty dense and urban, and totally comparable to many places I see in inner London.

Even counting the outer parts of queens (queens, itself, being the second least dense borough of NYC) it still has a population density of 21,116//sq mi

Inner London in 2001 (I understand it would have a nice boost in today's numbers), which includes within it the absolute core of London, has a population density of 23,460/sq mi

As you can see it's not far off from Inner London's pop density and has a legitimate designation as forming part of the core of the NYC urban area/metro region.
Old July 20th, 2013, 12:28 AM   #7016
SE9
South East Nine

South Quay Plaza | Canary Wharf E14

London forum thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1646336

Earlier today I attended an exhibition for a new 240m tower in the Canary Wharf area. I took this photo of the proposed tower, designed by Foster:

ferge, singoone, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 20th, 2013, 01:44 AM   #7017
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
They are not. 'Inner London' is not the core of our region. 'London' is the core of our region.

London and New York. They are both cities, with defined city limits. Beyond the city limits, they are both bordered by surrounding counties. They are both home to 8.3 million people. They each have a mayor. They are each composed of boroughs. They both have a wider metropolitan region.
If you want to believe so, you're well welcome to... I already said that I see urban area as a better measure of the true city size. So to me the whole contiguous area (or almost all of it) can't be considered the core. I personally see the core of London within the red circle below, approximately.

Old July 20th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #7018
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post

Thank you! Seems my hunch wasn't far off.
Where did you locate that, BTW?

Last edited by phoenixboi08; July 21st, 2013 at 02:20 AM.
phoenixboi08 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #7019
Skabbymuff
Living in the past SUCKS

Likes (Received): 25

stop arguing you two. been on this forum for over decade, and pathetic arguments about cities like this depress me. ive lived all over 'London' all my 32 years, and i can tell you mr 'circle drawer' that many of those (and i qoute 'London Bouroughs' are well outside your highly restictive circle. are you somebody who has actually lived in london in its greater sense? london is a big place that is very hard to define. just another megacity in my eyes.

lafreak84 liked this post
Skabbymuff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:33 AM   #7020
7rani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2986

Guys, I've just noticed that you're comparing London to NYC
London is a huge capital in Europe, like Paris and Moscow. But be humble and logical, it's so far to be compared to the capital of the world, ie NYC!

Avemano, Zaz965 liked this post
7rani no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom