daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #7041
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

Lovely photos from the top, I assume his job gave him access to go up there?
Bit of a long shot but does anyone have any pictures of what the skyline will look like once all buildings currently under construction are finished?
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #7042
7rani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
London's global connectivity dwarfs that of New York, so arguably London is more the world city, and New York more a domestic American city.
Wow, just amazing! Nothing to add when you resume all the developement of a city in the traffic of its aeroport. Keep dreaming!
7rani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #7043
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skabbymuff View Post
stop arguing you two. been on this forum for over decade, and pathetic arguments about cities like this depress me. ive lived all over 'London' all my 32 years, and i can tell you mr 'circle drawer' that many of those (and i qoute 'London Bouroughs' are well outside your highly restictive circle. are you somebody who has actually lived in london in its greater sense? london is a big place that is very hard to define. just another megacity in my eyes.
Never lived in London, but I've visited a few times and made a point to visit places outside of the core. This is just my opinion. London is a huge and awesome city, it's just not as big as New York. I think London boosters just try to make it so anyway possible
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #7044
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Quote:
I don't think London lacks wow factor next to New York. London buildings like Big Ben/Parliament, St Paul's, Tower Bridge, St Pancras, Westminster Abbey, Greenwich Naval College, Natural History Museum, Hampton Court, O2 Dome, London Eye, Wembley, etc, are spectacular, yet New York has no equivalents. Skyscrapers are but one architectural form.London's global connectivity dwarfs that of New York, so arguably London is more the world city, and New York more a domestic American city. This is especially apparent when you look at airport traffic.You're just looking at residential density. What about commercial space? Queens has nothing like the volume of offices, retail, or other non-residential concentrations found in Inner London. And, once again, it's inconceivable that major airports like JFK and La Guardia could be located anywhere in Inner London. Frankly the comparison is ludicrous. NYC and Inner London are not equivalent at all, and anyone arguing as such is either ignorant or manipulative. New York's equivalent to Inner London is Manhattan and adjacent areas of Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens. Outer Queens and Staten Island are equivalent to Outer London. NYC as a whole is comparable to Greater London, albeit denser, and with less parks.
LOL @ all the London boosters that immediately turned this into a "which city is better"

I agree with you that very outer queens can also be chopped off from the core but most of queens is just as dense as INNER London as I've just shown. If that doesn't say something, nothing will. Of course inner london is more of a core than queens will ever be. Inner London's daytime population must swell during the daytime, but none of that discounts most of queens being dense and part of the core of new york.

It's inconceivable for London to have a JFK or Lagaurdia because it's not surrounded by water as NYC is

Last edited by streetscapeer; July 20th, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #7045
bonquiqui

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rani View Post
Wow, just amazing! Nothing to add when you resume all the developement of a city in the traffic of its aeroport. Keep dreaming!
London is a rural tiny ugly village with a tiny crowded airport and a population of 30 000 how dare these people compare to the super Ultra mega New york
bonquiqui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #7046
joey_122

Likes (Received): 24

I agree with you streetscaper I have been considering which city is better nyc vs london for some time but i think that even though london does have a lot of history so does new york and the same historic neighborhoods found in london like in the west end for example have very similar counterparts in brookyln and even the upper east side. What london does lack is the vibrancy that new york has the skyscrappers especiially the art deco ones and ya london is cool but the true capital of the world is new york.
joey_122 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #7047
joey_122

Likes (Received): 24

like in terms of a world city for sure london is better than paris but not equal in any way to new york.
joey_122 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #7048
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Have ever seen this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2...senger_traffic

Paris is some 40 mln behind, so keep dreaming
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #7049
streetscapeer
hmmm......

I'm not talking about which is a world city. In fact, I think London is just as much a world city as New York. And London in no way lacks vibrancy. And it totally has that "center of the world" feeling just as NY does.

All I'm arguing is that London is not as big as New York.
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #7050
DeFiBkIlLeR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 545

Christ, I really do despair of this thread when it attracts the ******* idiots...never seems to be a shortage of them either...

SE9..can't you speak to Will, he's one of the mods of this section and get them warned to stay away?

They've been trolling this thread for 2 days now, disrupting it's primary purpose, which sure as **** isn't demographics.

LDN_EUROPE liked this post
DeFiBkIlLeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #7051
bonquiqui

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_122 View Post
I agree with you streetscaper I have been considering which city is better nyc vs london for some time but i think that even though london does have a lot of history so does new york and the same historic neighborhoods found in london like in the west end for example have very similar counterparts in brookyln and even the upper east side. What london does lack is the vibrancy that new york has the skyscrappers especiially the art deco ones and ya london is cool but the true capital of the world is new york.
London does not have as many skyscrapers as New york due to the fabric of the city Historic buildings protected sights especially the ones around St Pauls and height restrictions Canary Wharf for instance is very close to the city airport
as for history London has more history than New york and when it comes to vibrancy both cities have it in spades
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #7052
Orange Alert!

Likes (Received): 101

New Yorkers coming into this thread to talk about how great your city is ... I am very disappointed in seeing such behaviour from you. Honestly, i'd expect you to know better. Have a little respect and show some maturity. You are in a thread about London construction developments and seem to be ignoring that fact.

I don't think you'll find many Londoners who will fail to acknowledge New York as a great world city, and if you do, I advise you to ignore them. We love our city and we love your city too, but we might enjoy our city more because well, it is OUR city, and because we can. I expect you to feel the same about your city and I should not have to explain to you why this is. And no, we may not necessarily agree with you about New York being the capital of the world. That is perfectly fine, it does not mean we are showing disrespect to New York.

Cities are for experiencing and living, enjoying your life in, and with New York you have a great city for that. So make the most out of it and go and enjoy what your city has to offer. I guarantee it will be twice as fun as sitting on skyscrapercity.com writing posts about where suburbs begin and end.

Peace to everyone who reads this, I am a Londoner and I hope you have a great weekend.

tuten, KamZolt, SO143, virtuesoft liked this post
Orange Alert! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:57 PM   #7053
7rani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Have ever seen this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%2...senger_traffic

Paris is some 40 mln behind, so keep dreaming
Ok, you're talking like a kid. I didn't even say something about Paris.

Let's see: Paris have a much better and larger skyline than London, although, you never find a french trolling in thread like: the best 10 top skylines in the world as you do guys. You're obsessed to convince others with lies . Even if Paris has the largest skyline in Europe, we already know that it's can not be compared to asian or north americain ones. And that will never hurt us, because we believe that each city is developping in its own way. "Ile-de-France" (Paris + suburbs) is the 4th most powerful economic region in the world (Behind: Tokyo, NYC and Los Angeles).

Aeroport traffic: It's normal to remark that London is the first city with the biggest traffic, because, some of its aeroport are serving the southern areas of UK. But it's not the same case as in NYC, Tokyo or Paris.

All the world know that you are boosting London at the cost of other cities, just to keep it one of world capitals. That makes me laugh!
7rani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:58 PM   #7054
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscapeer View Post
Never lived in London, but I've visited a few times and made a point to visit places outside of the core. This is just my opinion. London is a huge and awesome city, it's just not as big as New York. I think London boosters just try to make it so anyway possible
One could more credibly suspect you're a New York booster trying to diminish London, pretending it's much smaller than it really is.

And, if what Spliff Fairy says is true, ie that London has a population of 20 million living within a comparable land area to New York's CSA (and with greater transport connectivity to boot), then it's barely smaller these days.
Quote:
London airports handle more than three times as much international traffic as New York's (123.3 million to 37.6 million). London's traffic is 90% international, New York's just 36%. Indeed London's international traffic alone exceeds all traffic through New York airports, even though the latter is the world's 2nd busiest airport hub (after London of course).

However if you wish to delude youreslf that a city with less than a third the international connectivity is somehow more of a "world city", then so be it.

* Note that international trains bolster London's lead further.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Last edited by Langur; July 20th, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #7055
DeFiBkIlLeR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Ok, you're talking like a kid. I didn't even say something about Paris.

Let's see: Paris have a much better and larger skyline than London, although, you never find a french trolling in thread like: the best 10 top skylines in the world as you do guys. You're obsessed to convince others with lies . Even if Paris has the largest skyline in Europe, we already know that it's can not be compared to asian or north americain ones. And that will never hurt us, because we believe that each city is developping in its own way. "Ile-de-France" (Paris + suburbs) is the 4th most powerful economic region in the world (Behind: Tokyo, NYC and Los Angeles).

Aeroport traffic: It's normal to remark that London is the first city with the biggest traffic, because, some of its aeroport are serving the southern areas of UK. But it's not the same case as in NYC, Tokyo or Paris.

All the world know that you are boosting London at the cost of other cities, just to keep it one of world capitals. That makes me laugh!

..like I said, this thread has no shortage of ******* trolling idiots attached to it.

sk327 liked this post
DeFiBkIlLeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #7056
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9778

Quote:

And, if what Spliff Fairy says is true, ie that London has a population of 20 million living within a comparable land area to New York's CSA (and with greater transport connectivity to boot), then it's barely smaller these days.London airports handle more than three times as much international traffic as New York's (123.3 million to 37.6 million). London's traffic is 90% international, New York's just 36%. Indeed London's international traffic alone exceeds all traffic through New York airports, even though the latter is the world's 2nd busiest airport hub (after London of course).

However if you wish to delude youreslf that a city with less than a third the international connectivity is somehow more of a "world city", then so be it.

* Note that international trains bolster London's lead further.
Could that perhaps have something do with the fact that Uks population is 63 million and it is tiny island while the US population is 315 million and the place is almost continent-sized? There simply are more people that are foreign and thus are potential international passengers to the UK.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #7057
bonquiqui

Don't feed the trolls ignore them
Simple and effective
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #7058
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

London is one of my favorite cities in the world. However, when I visit this thread to get an update on construction and development, I can't help but being overwhelmed by a sense of snobbery. It's a shame.

New York and London are peers on every level, anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly bias.
sbarn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #7059
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 59974

Ugh. I spend time to update this thread, source information and photos, and discussion gets hijacked.

To end this discussion once and for all, the population of London within the city limits is 8,308,369 at the last official estimate (2012), released by the Office for National Statistics this year.

LDN_EUROPE, Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #7060
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 59974

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonquiqui View Post
Don't feed the trolls ignore them
Simple and effective
+1

From the next page onwards, no more.