daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:09 AM   #7141
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 59979

2012 Olympic Games | 1 Year Anniversary

London forum: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1586

Tonight is the 1 year anniversary of the 2012 Olympics, hosted in Stratford, London. Regarded as the best games ever staged by many, including adversary and former host Australia - The Australian, Sydney Morning Herald, Brisbane Times - London became the first city to host the Olympics 3 times:

image hosted on flickr

Olympics 2012 by Bakis is Nearly Back, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Olympic Stadium Panoramic II by mk matt, on Flickr

Following the Olympics, the Olympic Park has undergone an extensive redevelopment. The new park will officially reopen soon as the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park:

- Los Angeles Times: London - Move over, royal baby: City readies for opening of park

In the past few weeks, parts of the park have already been used for music concerts and festivals, including the Wireless Festival last weekend:

image hosted on flickr

Yahoo! Wireless Festival 2013 - Friday, Day 1 by YahooWirelessPhotographer, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Yahoo! Wireless Festival 2013 - Saturday, Day 2 by YahooWirelessPhotographer, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Yahoo! Wireless Festival 2013 - Saturday, Day 2 by YahooWirelessPhotographer, on Flickr

RobH, Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:15 AM   #7142
bonquiqui

Likes (Received): 20

Stunning pix SE9 it was a wonderful game we loved here in Morocco
bonquiqui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:24 AM   #7143
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonquiqui View Post
Stunning pix SE9 it was a wonderful game we loved here in Morocco
Excellent

I was lucky enough to have unrestricted access to the Olympic Park before and during the Olympics. It was a great experience, and I'm excited to see how the public park will look once reopened!

Some photos I took of the park a few days before the Games began, and before the public could access it (hence why it looks so quiet):

image hosted on flickr

Olympic Park - Stratford E20 by SE9 London, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Olympic Stadium | Olympic Park - Stratford E20 by SE9 London, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Olympic Park - Stratford E20 by SE9 London, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Olympic Park - Stratford E20 | Athletes' Village by SE9 London, on Flickr

More on my flickr. It'll be interesting to see the changes between then and now.

lafreak84, RobH, Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:30 AM   #7144
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

^ Bloody hell, how did you manage that?
Went to wireless the other day, was great, helped somewhat by the weather.
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:32 AM   #7145
bonquiqui

Is the park gonna be open to the public again this summer or is it later this year ?
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:33 AM   #7146
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

~ Stay On Topic Guys ~

Or bad things will happen!

@SE9: great job on these updates! London so full of amazing stuff: mind=blown!

Zaz965 liked this post
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:12 AM   #7147
SE9
South East Nine

Cheers desertpunk, and thanks for cleaning things up!

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:13 AM   #7148
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonquiqui View Post
Is the park gonna be open to the public again this summer or is it later this year ?
It will reopen this month

26th July: http://queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:14 AM   #7149
SE9
South East Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehenaus View Post
^ Bloody hell, how did you manage that?
Went to wireless the other day, was great, helped somewhat by the weather.
That would be telling

Wireless looked good from the videos I saw. After staging it there, I think the organisers much prefer the Olympic Park to Hyde Park. Which day did you attend?

Zaz965 liked this post
Old July 23rd, 2013, 01:34 PM   #7150
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

I watched the Opening Ceremony in hospital while recovering from a operation. It was magical (with the help of the Morphine haha).

Truly the greatest Olympics ever held - and the "Inspire a Generation" theme has definitely been proven and worked upon. British sport in youth has rocketed and British culture is dominating the world.

The Opening and Closing ceremonies were truly British - didn't try to copy Beijing and didn't want to. It was unique, it was a story, it was multi-cultured, it was a show, it was a wonder, it was British.

Cannot WAIT to visit the park for myself. Thank you London.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

jamiefearon liked this post
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:06 PM   #7151
DeFiBkIlLeR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 545

Property developer says central London is booming

FTSE 250 property company Shaftesbury, which owns shops, restaurants and cafes in the West End, sees strong demand pushing up rents

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...erty-developer
DeFiBkIlLeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:49 PM   #7152
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFiBkIlLeR View Post
Property developer says central London is booming

FTSE 250 property company Shaftesbury, which owns shops, restaurants and cafes in the West End, sees strong demand pushing up rents

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...erty-developer
Thats great. It's not surprising though..

London seems to be at the centre of the world at the moment. So much tourism and so much going on - its amazing.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:29 PM   #7153
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Visited London last Saturday, God, I felt like in China, so many people, mostly Chinese, Russian and Kazakh students and school kids (can somewhat speak and understand those languages). Even 8 a.m. Saturday train from Cambridge was packed with them. Have to wait in line for 2 hours to get on London Eye even with allocated time ticket. Just too crazy, in my mind. Effect of last year Olympic and people postponing trips to London last year because of this is clearly seen now. Tourist figures should be record this year, pretty sure about this.
However, probably not so good for locals, as I would avoid visiting London now for leasure trips until winter I guess.
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:38 PM   #7154
bonquiqui

you are right quicksilver its heaving now but I have to say sundays are better especially the traffic free regent street its a bless.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:40 PM   #7155
Bligh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
Visited London last Saturday, God, I felt like in China, so many people, mostly Chinese, Russian and Kazakh students and school kids (can somewhat speak and understand those languages). Even 8 a.m. Saturday train from Cambridge was packed with them. Have to wait in line for 2 hours to get on London Eye even with allocated time ticket. Just too crazy, in my mind. Effect of last year Olympic and people postponing trips to London last year because of this is clearly seen now. Tourist figures should be record this year, pretty sure about this.
However, probably not so good for locals, as I would avoid visiting London now for leasure trips until winter I guess.
Personally i LOVE the buzz of when London is busy.
~

L O N D O N
~

Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:44 PM   #7156
RobH

Likes (Received): 10325

Probably has a lot to do with the fact the sun's out as well.

Lovely photos SE9, brings back some great memories of last summer.
RobH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:54 PM   #7157
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
Personally i LOVE the buzz of when London is busy.
I don't mind it either. The only problem I've noticed is that rubbish bins get overfilled pretty quickly in busy places and by around 2 p.m. they look bad, with wind spreading away empty Starbucks cups and sandwich cartons. Should employ more cleaners and rubbish bin vans, especially on Saturdays. Have to show London to two students from Moscow and was somehow ashamed by some areas because of this problem. However my guests seem to be not really concerned by this
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:11 PM   #7158
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25075

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9 View Post
No problem. Why waste time explaining that:

- London's population is 8,308,369 (at the 2012 official estimate).

- London's urban area is curtailed by a 'Green Belt' around the city limits, which was written into law to prevent LA style sprawl. The result is a host of dense satellite towns surrounding London. This is reflected in a relatively low 'urban' population, and a high 'metro' population.

- The metro area of London isn't calculated. However, the population of London and its surrounding counties alone is 18,868,800 (at the 2011 census).

That's verifiable, unpartizan fact for those unfamiliar with London. No opinion, spin or boosting. Now let's use this thread to discuss projects in London. Not use it as a population debate or a miscellaneous aerial screenshot gallery.
I agree with all of this, I already know all about the green belt law. All I'm saying is that I don't care why the area surrounding London is fragmented into satellite towns... I am saying that, by default, this makes them outside of London and not part of it. This is the opinion of someone who thinks of urban area as the truer measure of city size, regardless if that city's influence spreads beyond the urban area. I wholly understand that London's influence spreads well beyond its urban area borders. I just don't consider that a good enough measure for the measure of a city. I do the same for NY, I don't care if some random town in Pennsylvania has a lot of commuters NY, that person will never tell you they are from the NY suburbs, or from the NY area. And I personally would never count it in the NY population (CSA). To me, the physical form has a great deal in the way we conceptualize things (including the size of a thing), but its influence on other things is a different issue (like when other things or people are attracted to it).

Oh and I really don't think we should be using the CSA area of any city as a yardstick to measure the population of another region. That's just lame, and grasping at straws. (Not directed at you SE9)

Cheers
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #7159
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 25075

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonFox View Post
Exactly, music, theatre, finance, art, film, media, science, medicine, community, culture.... London and New York are true sister cities their hearts beat the same tune. One just happens to be a Skyscraper city, the other a historical one.

There's a reason that the 1 billion US embassy is being built in London and not somewhere else.
Totally agree!!
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:34 PM   #7160
bonquiqui

Last time I was in New York I felt like I was in London in some parts of manhattan I thought both were very dynamic and fast moving people are similar but in New york you get a slightly better customer service.
London is more fashionable than New York it's edgier and less commercial in terms of people day to day wear
Culturally I couldn't tell the difference as both have some fantastic museums and galleries the same goes to the cuisine we talking international one here so I would say that both are more or as close as it gets to identical twins

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom