daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 4th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #7381
Orange Alert!

Likes (Received): 101

I take it you don't use the roads very often? The reason I say this is because you seem to have a huge amount of trust in the average London driver. Never underestimate the levels of stupidity people reach behind a steering wheel and in London this applies tenfold.

Firstly grotty railings no as you can see they're not installing them let's be thankful for that. Regarding traffic lights i'm looking at the picture and it looks like a perfectly sensible amount of traffic lights to me. Each serves a purpose, there is no traffic light overload and we are talking about a busy city junction served from all directions by 5 different roads all used frequently connecting to other major roads and locations in the center. Again yellow lines there is a time and a place. In London we have a very limited amount of road space compared to other cities that have wide boulevards of more than 2 lanes each direction and urban motorways serving their city centres. Unfortunately in London we are always forced to make compromises because of the lack of space, that's the way it is and that's also why cycling is promoted so strongly as an alternative. I'm not so sure why we need yellow lines in just about every single side street including no-through roads (other than providing source of income revenue from tickets for Westminster council ), but that's a different matter we're not talking about side streets and local traffic we're talking about a major city junction. Quite simply we can not allow people to park their vehicles on the junction or approaching the junction of Holborn Circus it is a crazy idea

Traffic Islands to each their own. Personally I think they're fine as long as they don't have railings. The current rail-less traffic islands on Holborn work extremely well even in their present state. From the circus up to High Holborn they make it pleasantly easy to cross the road, they provide ample space for motorcycle and bicycle parking in addition, and I think they fit in very well with the street scape but that's my personal view.
Orange Alert! no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #7382
El_Greco
╔pater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8163

Well, with thinking like this London streets will remain the ugliest in Europe...Shame. Makes me wonder how they get by without all this clutter overload elsewhere...
Old August 4th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #7383
Orange Alert!

Likes (Received): 101

And what way do you propose people think?
Orange Alert! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #7384
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Alert! View Post

Firstly grotty railings no as you can see they're not installing them let's be thankful for that. Regarding traffic lights i'm looking at the picture and it looks like a perfectly sensible amount of traffic lights to me. Each serves a purpose, there is no traffic light overload and we are talking about a busy city junction served from all directions by 5 different roads all used frequently connecting to other major roads and locations in the center. Again yellow lines there is a time and a place. In London we have a very limited amount of road space compared to other cities that have wide boulevards of more than 2 lanes each direction and urban motorways serving their city centres. Unfortunately in London we are always forced to make compromises because of the lack of space, that's the way it is and that's also why cycling is promoted so strongly as an alternative. I'm not so sure why we need yellow lines in just about every single side street including no-through roads (other than providing source of income revenue from tickets for Westminster council ), but that's a different matter we're not talking about side streets and local traffic we're talking about a major city junction. Quite simply we can not allow people to park their vehicles on the junction or approaching the junction of Holborn Circus it is a crazy idea
Don't you have a no stop sign in the UK? I.e. something similar to this one here in Norway:

https://maps.google.no/maps?q=Oslo&h...214.23,,1,3.98
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #7385
El_Greco
╔pater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Alert! View Post
And what way do you propose people think?
First things first - get some common sense.

Yellow lines are unsightly, get rid of them. Outline where people can park and if you still want to mark where and when, then place a gutter or a row of paving stones. Looks better already. Incidentally thats how they do it on the Continent. Example -

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.846...249.64,,1,18.7

Re-design traffic lights as they are too big and ugly and get rid of traffic islands which serve no other purpose than to increase clutter and ruin streetscapes. As has been pointed out streets in London are narrow and as such easy to cross in one go. Ironically traffic islands increase crossing times, because traffic lights on either side are not in sync and as such youre stuck there waiting for the green. How it should be done -

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.850...99.47,,0,11.39

On the Continent traffic islands only appear on super wide streets but even then clutter overload is not reached -

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.845...111.98,,0,8.92
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #7386
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Likes (Received): 4814

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Well, with thinking like this London streets will remain the ugliest in Europe...Shame. Makes me wonder how they get by without all this clutter overload elsewhere...
At least they are safest in Europe as well, this is what is important. By the way the streets in the UK are the easiest to navigate around as well, because all that "clutter" apparently

Actually, they love those traffic island in Japan as well, another safe country for drivers and pedestrians.

Last edited by Quicksilver; August 4th, 2013 at 04:38 PM.
Quicksilver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #7387
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
First things first - get some common sense.

Yellow lines are unsightly, get rid of them. Outline where people can park and if you still want to mark where and when, then place a gutter or a row of paving stones. Looks better already. Incidentally thats how they do it on the Continent. Example -

Re-design traffic lights as they are too big and ugly and get rid of traffic islands which serve no other purpose than to increase clutter and ruin streetscapes. As has been pointed out streets in London are narrow and as such easy to cross in one go. Ironically traffic islands increase crossing times, because traffic lights on either side are not in sync and as such youre stuck there waiting for the green. How it should be done -

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.850...99.47,,0,11.39

On the Continent traffic islands only appear on super wide streets but even then clutter overload is not reached -

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.845...111.98,,0,8.92
I love yellow lines, go drive anywhere else in Europe and you will get confused. I was fined few times in Germany because roads are not marked and parking sign was like miles away. Again, look at the safety of French road, not even mentioning Italian and the UK, I think all other agruments are useless.
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:34 PM   #7388
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
Don't you have a no stop sign in the UK? I.e. something similar to this one here in Norway:

https://maps.google.no/maps?q=Oslo&h...214.23,,1,3.98
Nope, it's all done with road markings, which I personally love.

This sign could be miles away and you will still get fined, which happened to me a lot in Europe.
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #7389
El_Greco
╔pater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
By the way the streets in the UK are the easiest to navigate around as well, because all that "clutter" apparently
I bet. Very pedestrian friendly too -

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.465...227.71,,0,3.23

Quote:
go drive anywhere else in Europe and you will get confused. I was fined few times in Germany because roads are not marked and parking sign was like miles away. Again, look at the safety of French road, not even mentioning Italian and the UK, I think all other agruments are useless.
Never had any problems nor any of my friends.
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #7390
Galro
Humanity through Urbanity

Likes (Received): 9776

Quote:
Nope, it's all done with road markings, which I personally love.

This sign could be miles away and you will still get fined, which happened to me a lot in Europe.
No, it can only be one block away as each crossroad annuls it.
Galro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #7391
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
This is one of the worst kind of junctions for the drivers, my personal opinion, scares me a lot in France. Not sure if it's good why it should be done this way.

Plus cars turning into pedestrians crossings, beeeee

Last edited by Quicksilver; August 4th, 2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #7392
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
No, it can only be one block away as each crossroad annuls it.
Complicated, even locals get confused. I was in Trondheim and we got ticket twice even with local driving. I personally can't be bothered to remember what was a block away as you try to concentrate on driving but not remembering the signs.
With markings on the roads you don’t ever question where you can park and where you cannot. Exception, resident only parking, that’s annoying sometimes.

But at least Norway is safe country for driving as well as you have well marked roads and junctions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

Not some like other countries on Continent with crazy junctions and signs.
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #7393
El_Greco
╔pater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
This is one of the worst kind of junctions for the drivers, my personal opinion, scares me a lot in France. Not sure if it's good why it should be done this way.
I dont care, its your problem. Here everything revolves around the motorist. There it doesnt. And thats how it should be.

Roads should not be plastered with signs and other shit just because you cant be bothered to look or remember.
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #7394
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
I bet. Very pedestrian friendly too -

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=51.465...227.71,,0,3.23

Yep, not like in France and other countries, where cars are freely crossing pedestrians crossing when pedestrians have a green light too:

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.850...,,0,14.79&z=18

No wonder so many fatalities in France.

Quote:
May be it's because you are from France and get to this kind of driving. When I drive in Greece I also drive like a local otherwise you don't get anywhere

LDN_EUROPE liked this post
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #7395
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
I dont care, its your problem. Here everything revolves around the motorist. There it doesnt. And thats how it should be.

Roads should not be plastered with signs and other shit just because you cant be bothered to look or remember.
Again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

It's not my problem, it's the problem for the countries with higher casualties on the roads. If it safes lifes and helps to navigate I don't care.

Plus, as I said, in the UK, if it's green light for the pedestrians, it means it's GREEN LIGHT only for them and there is no traffic coming from anywhere else, unlike in France where you have to watch for cars turning into your road. Here is good example:

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.850...,,0,14.79&z=18

Yep, very pedestian safe unless somebody runs you over.

LondonFox liked this post
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #7396
El_Greco
╔pater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Yep
You think thats pedestrian friendly? Its not. And its confusing in the extreme.

Quote:
May be it's because you are from France
Lol.

Quote:
It's not my problem.
Yes it is. There are other road users too. Life does not revolve around the motorist and as such city should not be built around him either. You make the choice to get in the car, drive around, pollute the air and endanger lives and as such it is up to you and not the pedestrian, to look and remember how things work and where they are. If you cant be bothered you should not drive. City should not be turned into an ugly scrap yard to make your life easier either.

Btw. As a pedestrian I always found it safer to cross streets on the Continent than here. Indeed I had more close calls in London than any other city - drivers here have an unfortunate tendency not to indicate that they are about to turn. On the Continent on the other hand drivers are aware that there are other users and act accordingly. Statistics is one thing, experience quite another. In London pedestrian is an annoyance who has to be herded in by railings and told how and where to cross a street.

Last edited by El_Greco; August 4th, 2013 at 05:18 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #7397
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
You think thats pedestrian friendly? Its not. And its confusing in the extreme.
Confusing for whom? Motorist have clear signs where to go, unlike free for all junctions in France and pedestriand have clear green light ONLY for them, again unlike in France.

Quote:
Lol.
Not sure, from Greece may be then but I am quite confident you want use that country as an example

Quote:
Yes it is. There are other road users too. Life does not revolve around the motorist and as such city should not be built around him either. You make the choice to get in the car, drive around, pollute the air and endanger lives and as such it is up to you and not the pedestrian, to look and remember how things work and where they are. If you can be bothered you should not drive. City should not be turned into an ugly scrap yard to make your life easier either.
Before we continue, let's clarify few things. I think you agree that for all road users, either it's motorists, pedestrians or cyclists, the main concern is road safety. And also, you would agree that the main casualties on the road come not from the drivers but from pedestrians or cyclists being hit by cars. So, if French roads are somewhat 60% less safe than UK roads, it means their "pedestrian" safety measures are as not as good as in the UK, as simple as this. And it's nothing to do with what you choose if as the roads are not safe, one day you can be killed by some driver who choose to drive instead. I bother to look at all signs and follow all safety measures in place and I believe I am a very safe driver but if road system is confusing, the slightest distruction can put you in the trouble.

LondonFox liked this post
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #7398
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
Yellow lines are unsightly, get rid of them. Outline where people can park and if you still want to mark where and when, then place a gutter or a row of paving stones. Looks better already. Incidentally thats how they do it on the https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.846...78,,1,5.4&z=18. Example -

Still looking through your links, I love the first one:

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.846...78,,1,5.4&z=18

Yes, this is how they do on the Continent - park, there sign clearly says "No Parking" well done!
And what with those ugly metal poles, what is their purpose? Ah, not allow people to park on the pavement ... maybe it's better to have good enforcement not to allow people to park anywhere they want rather to put hundreds of those.

Again, France, and Paris in particular isn't a good example of how pedestrian friendly streets are done. In places it's even more cluttered than UK. For good example you should look at some Asian cities not the Continent.

Last edited by Quicksilver; August 4th, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #7399
7rani
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2986

Quote:
Still looking through your links, I love the first one:

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=50.846...78,,1,5.4&z=18

Yes, this is how they do on the Continent - park, there sign clearly says "No Parking" well done!
euhh, you forgot mentioning France in your latest post
You are clearly a francophobe

Avemano liked this post
7rani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #7400
Quicksilver
Yanukovich nash boh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7rani View Post
euhh, you forgot mentioning France in your latest post
You are clearly a francophobe
Sorry, was too quick looking through the link. I have nothing against France.

Actually, when I am driving in Italy, I often park in the same way, because nobody gives a s**t, which I like sometimes but it doesn't add to the road safety statistic.

Last edited by Quicksilver; August 4th, 2013 at 05:48 PM.

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom