daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #741
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13283

AJPlus.co.uk
Published 26 February 2007 at 11:39

Alsop on verge of revealing major City skyscraper

SMC Alsop is understood to be designing a 43-storey skyscraper on the periphery of the City of London.

The extraordinary tower is on the cusp of being lodged for planning permission with the Corporation’s planning bosses.

The project will be Alsop’s first venture into tower design, so architectural observers will be waiting with bated breath to see the designs.

There has also been some speculation that the tower may be more conservative than Alsop’s usual fare in order to ease its path through planning.

One long-term planning guru said of the scheme: ‘As long as it’s residential, it may not have that much trouble. Residential towers of that height are not that unusual these days’.

The commission will come as good news to the troubled SMC Group, following the recent machinations at board level which saw founder and chief executive Stewart McColl sidelined from his chief executive role.

by Ed Dorrell

Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #742
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

Oh lord heaven help us!!!
Old February 26th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #743
wjfox
Futurist

More news today. Demolition has started on the site of 100 Middlesex Street -

image hosted on flickr

Old February 27th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #744
Truepioneer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002 View Post
AJPlus.co.uk
Published 26 February 2007 at 11:39

Alsop on verge of revealing major City skyscraper

SMC Alsop is understood to be designing a 43-storey skyscraper on the periphery of the City of London.

The extraordinary tower is on the cusp of being lodged for planning permission with the Corporationís planning bosses.

The project will be Alsopís first venture into tower design, so architectural observers will be waiting with bated breath to see the designs.

There has also been some speculation that the tower may be more conservative than Alsopís usual fare in order to ease its path through planning.

One long-term planning guru said of the scheme: ĎAs long as itís residential, it may not have that much trouble. Residential towers of that height are not that unusual these daysí.

The commission will come as good news to the troubled SMC Group, following the recent machinations at board level which saw founder and chief executive Stewart McColl sidelined from his chief executive role.

by Ed Dorrell

This should be something very interesting to see.
Truepioneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #745
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truepioneer View Post
This should be something very interesting to see.
Please God don't let it be too weird Will... Londoners have diffculty differentiating proposals from reality when they see renderings in the Evening Standard, if its too bizarre I fear the press will have a field day and it could do other tall building's chances some damage.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #746
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

I know it fills me with horror to think at what we could witness as a serious proposal.
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #747
wjfox
Futurist

Old February 27th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #748
steppenwolf

Likes (Received): 282

I really dislike the stock exchange reclad. The colour doesnt suit the portland stone in all the buildings around it, its facade should have some solid surface - not be all glass. It also has much less of a vertical emphasis in the cladding than the previous building. Its new windows seem made up of horizontal rectangle groups - totally alien in all the buildings nearby and really ugly in a vertical building.
steppenwolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:50 PM   #749
onetwothree

Likes (Received): 18

LOL, wjfox, that's so lame but made me laugh so hard
onetwothree no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:22 PM   #750
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukey View Post

"A landmark redevelopment scheme featuring a 43-storey tower at 151 City Road, London EC1 will be unveiled this week. The groundbreaking scheme designed by SMC Alsop for Enddora Holdings Ltd, part of the Access Self Storage Group, is located on a site on City Road, close to Old Street roundabout, opposite the Moorfields Eye Hospital and adjacent to the recently approved, 27-storey tower Eagle House, designed by Terry Farrell. The proposal brings together a unique combination of land uses which, together with the size of the site and its context, has led Will Alsop to create a pioneering new building-type, fusing large scale art, sculpture and architecture. The building will include retail and bars, self-storage, business centre, fitness centre and apart-hotel. The self storage proposals, stacked vertically rather than along the ground, represent a major new departure for self storage in this country, bringing the facility into the middle of town rather than its traditional edge of town location. Double height retail and restaurants are located at ground floor on City Road, with entrances to the self-storage on Britannia Walk and the apart-hotel, business centre and leisure uses on Provost Street. Level 42 is given over to a public bar and viewing gallery. Describing the scheme architect Will Alsop says, "It's an incredibly exciting project - essentially the whole building is conceived as an artwork including Bruce McLean's piece, the coloured solar siphons, and the building form - sculpted and faceted so that the perception of the tower changes from every perspective." Measures to integrate sustainability and energy reduction are fully incorporated in the building's design through the choice of on-site renewables and the integration of an innovative natural ventilation system. The building tapers and twists to allow daylight penetration at street level. Articulated chimneys known as solar siphons wrap around the building fabric like a striped shirt giving the impression of slenderness and at the same time providing natural ventilation to the hotel apartments. This dramatically reduces the need for mechanical air-conditioning and substantially reduces the Development's overall carbon footprint. Speaking of the project, independent townscape assessor, Richard Coleman said "Will Alsop is able to bring joy to hearts, minds and eyes of people through the most diverse of building uses. At City Road the project is a rich mix of uses within a total work of art made explicit through the 15-storey work by artist Bruce McLean. It is symptomatic of the City Road site that a tall elegant building of such beauty as is proposed, enhances a poor townscape edge to Hackney without infringing any distant views vistas or heritage areas." The scheme will be unveiled at a public exhibition, opening this week on the site at 151 City Road, which is part of the public consultation exercise, intended to provide an opportunity for local residents and office workers to view the proposals. Following this exhibition it is intended that the scheme will be submitted to the London Borough of Hackney for planning in early April."

Taken from WorldArchitectureNews.com

For some reason...I LOVE THIS PROPOSAL! I really hope it goes ahead!

And note, the current tallest building in the City of London is 42 stories, this will be 43.
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #751
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

But come on people, this has about as much chance of being built as my Grandma does becoming Miss World 2007.
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:11 PM   #752
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

That base looks like a horrible nightmare returning from the 80's. Slap a halter top, a headband and some leg warmers on it and it's complete!

London has some wonderful skyscrapers in the pipeline. This is not one of them.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:12 AM   #753
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
That base looks like a horrible nightmare returning from the 80's.
Or the cover of a trapper keeper.

London has lots of quality buildings, but there's no getting around the fact that this one sucks.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:21 AM   #754
wjfox
Futurist

As I said in the UK forum, I think it's perfect. You have to consider the area it's going in - an incredibly drab, depressing, rundown part of London with completely soulless street life and almost nothing of architectural value. This location needs a major injection of life... something colourful, informal, arty, vibrant and unique. This proposal is EXACTLY the kind of thing that's needed here.

If this was being proposed inside the main cluster of towers (Bishopsgate, Leadenhall, Heron, etc.), it would probably look rather silly, and I'd be against it. But the LOCATION is really important here, and this proposal will work... trust me on this.

Last edited by wjfox; March 1st, 2007 at 01:32 AM.
wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:28 AM   #755
Prestonian

Likes (Received): 62

I LOVE IT TOO!!!! i think too much architecture is based around the same style, premises and themes. When something refreshing and fun comes along like this we should go for it, it will be an inredible landmark. I actually think the 80's pattern is really funny
Prestonian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:32 AM   #756
Jamandell (d69)
Skyscraperholic

Likes (Received): 229

For those people who have been complaining about too many glass boxes (which personally doesn't bother me)...this is the perfect proposal to keep them happy!
Jamandell (d69) no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:43 AM   #757
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda View Post
But come on people, this has about as much chance of being built as my Grandma does becoming Miss World 2007.
It's a bold, imaginative, creative design. It won't appear near St Paul's, the Tower of London, or any of the historic sight lines. Islington Council WANT tall buildings in this area - they've already approved the 35 storey Eagle House next door, and there's another major tower in pre-planning. Alsop has designed striking landmarks before, which have added a certain vibrancy to the areas they're built in (e.g. Peckham Library, Palestra). This tower will also be environmentally friendly through the use of solar siphons.
Old March 1st, 2007, 02:11 AM   #758
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 3251

Unmistakably Alsop...

As Will says, its in a crappy but quite bohemian area so probably won't do any harm to the urban fabric and probably would become iconic, but Its not exactly easy on the eye.

I could just about swallow the upper inhabited portion, but the lower (plant) portion covered in the artwork is just a little too much for me. Its quite clever though, in that respect... The really wacky part will only be visible from the immediate vicinty whereas the more normal part will appear on the skyline. I'd still take some convincing that this isn't a disaster though...
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:11 AM   #759
Ginza

Likes (Received): 7

I think it looks cool and difirent from other sdifices being built in London
Ginza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:39 PM   #760
London_2006

Likes (Received): 30

It looks alright apart from the terrible 'artwork' on the base. I think if that was covered up with a neon screen or even left blank, it would look good!
London_2006 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom