daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:01 AM   #7961
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Ah, good ol' random cladding.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:31 AM   #7962
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1847

Why the random cladding? I could understand it if the building was surrounded by older non-uniform buildings and it helped it blend in..
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 12:04 PM   #7963
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
took a pic of this ugly new building on my way to the tower bridge.

image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9821704255/

SO143, is that/this you making a third SSC account?
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:22 PM   #7964
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

British Airways launches Airbus A380 to Los Angeles, Hong Kong, and Johannesburg

BA's first A380 has been temporarily flying on its Frankfurt service to train the crew. As of tomorrow (24th September 2013), the A380 starts in regular service to Los Angeles, followed a month later by Hong Kong, and from early 2014 to Johannesburg.

image hosted on flickr

British Airways launches Boeing 787 to Toronto and Newark

British Airways launched the hi-tech Boeing 787 to Toronto on 1st September, and will fly to Newark (serves NYC) from 1st October.

image hosted on flickr

Both photos by Daryl Morrell
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by Langur; September 23rd, 2013 at 03:34 PM.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:34 PM   #7965
bozenBDJ
the World Trade Center

Likes (Received): 9717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langur View Post
British Airways launches Airbus A380 to Los Angeles, Hong Kong, and Johannesburg

BA's first A380 has been temporarily flying on its Frankfurt service to train the crew. As of tomorrow (24th September 2013), the A380 starts in regular service to Los Angeles, followed a month later by Hong Kong, and from early 2014 to Johannesburg.

image hosted on flickr

British Airways launches Boeing 787 to Toronto and Newark

British Airways launched the hi-tech Boeing 787 to Toronto on 1st September, and will fly to Newark (serves NYC) from 1st October.

image hosted on flickr

Both photos by Daryl Morrell
Wrong thread for this sir .
bozenBDJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:54 PM   #7966
Langur
Londinium langur

^ I don't see why updates on Crossrail, Boris buses, Heathrow terminals, and even house prices are relevent, but this is not. Airports and aircraft are a critical part of a city's transport infrastructure, and especially important for London as the world's leading aviation hub. Also, it's bad form to quote posts with images right after after their first posting. Please remove.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper

LDN_EUROPE liked this post
Old September 23rd, 2013, 03:59 PM   #7967
Groningen NL

Likes (Received): 155

Quote:
^ I don't see why updates on Crossrail, Boris buses, or new Heathrow terminals are relevent but this is not. Airports and aircraft are a critical part of a city's transport infrastructure, and especially important for London as the world's leading aviation hub. Also, it's bad form to quote posts with images right after after their first posting. Please remove.
You have got to be kidding me
Groningen NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #7968
Langur
Londinium langur

^ No, why would I be? Why are threads about new trains or buses relevent, but not aircraft? They're all part of a city's transport infrastructure and connectivity, and transport connectivity is the main reason cities exist and grow. Note that Heathrow, where these planes are based, is inside London's official boundary. Planes on Heathrow's approach run pass every two minutes over central London. They're visible all over the city, and are part of London's daily scenery. (Unlike the new airport proposals or the new container port, which are quite far from London, though they'll undoubtedly serve London's metropolitan market.) When Eurostar launch their new e320 trains from St Pancras, I'll probably update this thread. Will you object to that? If not, then I'm curious to discover how you draw the distinction.

I know that the core of this thread is about building developments (note that these include London's airports), but we also get articles and discussion on London's house prices, economy, foreign investment, tourism, or debates on urban density. It's all relevent imo.

LDN_EUROPE liked this post

Last edited by Langur; September 23rd, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 05:51 PM   #7969
Groningen NL

Likes (Received): 155

Long story short: when it comes to constructing a new airport, or metroline, or anything public transport related in belongs here because it's both construction news and it's a development in London. We can probably make an exception for the new buses uses, since they are typical for London.

And btw, if you really feel the need to post about an new service to Johannesburg in the construction forum, just post the link to the article. We know what an A380 looks like.

Anyway, I don't want to be nit-picking here, and I respect the effort you make contributing to this thread. I think it's time we invent some sort of guidelines to make sure nobody gets confused about what's on-topic and what's not for every section in SSC
Groningen NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 06:00 PM   #7970
Langur
Londinium langur

^ I agree that there's probably some confusion about what's relevent or not, but there's a reason this is the most popular thread in this section (Paris's higher figure is faked), and it's because discussion of London's projects ranges far beyond high-rise projects, which are adequately dealt with elsewhere.

Small pedantic note: there is no new service to Johannesburg. BA has served Joburg for decades. What's new is BA's introduction of the A380 and 787 this month. This is comparable news to the new S-Stock trains on the Tube, or the new Boris bus, both reported here without controversy or objection.

Last edited by Langur; September 23rd, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #7971
AngrySlob

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
^ I agree that there's probably some confusion about what's relevent or not, but there's a reason this is the most popular thread in this section (Paris's higher figure is faked), and it's because discussion of London's projects ranges far beyond high-rise projects, which are adequately dealt with elsewhere.
I guess the issue is that this isn't really a project at all, its just a company introducing A380's on some of it's routes and A380's are pretty common in Heathrow already. So yeah, belongs elsewhere but thanks anyway though

As for 40 Leadenhall Street (Gotham City), I love it. I think it will do the cluster as a whole a world of good. I guess the worst thing about it is that it obstructs the view of the Gerkin, but I'm still positive about it.

Last edited by AngrySlob; September 23rd, 2013 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Typo
AngrySlob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:36 PM   #7972
REL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

25 Churchill Place | Canary Wharf

by Ollie Smalley
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smallst...n/photostream/

Andre_idol, Zaz965 liked this post
REL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 10:53 PM   #7973
TedToToe

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:

by Ollie Smalley

CW gets better and better.
TedToToe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2013, 11:45 PM   #7974
REL
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedToToe View Post
CW gets better and better.
The City is getting better too. It is like they two giant financial districts are competing each other. glory time for london...

by chest please have a quick look at my website

Old September 24th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #7975
RobertWalpole
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2508

Quote:

by Ollie Smalley
image hosted on flickr

The City's emerging skyline is great. CW's is a horrible collection of short, fat boxes. It looks like Seattle.

Zaz965 liked this post
RobertWalpole no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #7976
REL
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWalpole View Post
The City's emerging skyline is great. CW's is a horrible collection of short, fat boxes. It looks like Seattle.
so you mean paris skyline is horrible too?
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #7977
Langur
Londinium langur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySlob View Post
I guess the issue is that this isn't really a project at all, its just a company introducing A380's on some of it's routes and A380's are pretty common in Heathrow already.
Not really. The other A380s are mere visitors for which London is the far end of a spoke. BA's new birds are the first A380s to be based in London, and first 787s at Heathrow. And BA is not just any old company, it's London's only major hub operation. BA's 78x widebody orders are worth $21.1bn (!!) at catalogue prices.

Last edited by Langur; September 24th, 2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old September 25th, 2013, 01:59 AM   #7979
PortoNuts

Likes (Received): 7192

image hosted on flickr

Battersea Power Station by SamRielly, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old September 25th, 2013, 03:06 AM   #7980
NWTS
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1100

could you please do not post tons of pictures together? my internet connection is not very fast.

Zaz965 liked this post
NWTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom