daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2013, 01:48 PM   #8301
GeorgeHarveyBone

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWTS View Post
This news will make the French people on SSC very upset. It's one of the indications which demonstrates that Paris is losing it's strength on the global scale.
Please keep comments like this out of this thread. I don't even think the original news is at all relevant to a thread about Projects & Construction.
GeorgeHarveyBone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2013, 02:46 PM   #8302
DeFiBkIlLeR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Barcelona is probably the most architecturally exciting city in Europe. A byword for urban reinvention.
Excellent, so why don't you go and live there, sit in a nice bar eating tapas, drinking San Miguel, and bore the locals to death with tales of London street clutter..oh the horror of it all, won't somebody think of the children!!!.

Zaz965 liked this post
DeFiBkIlLeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 02:48 PM   #8303
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8169

Oh I see its a tribal thing - I live in London therefore I must act like the dick-waving trolls on here - put down every city under the sun.

If anyone's boring anyone on here then surely it is SO143 (NWTS) and his trolling brigade and their never ending bullshit.

Last edited by El_Greco; October 31st, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 02:54 PM   #8304
DeFiBkIlLeR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Oh I see its a tribal thing - I live in London therefore I must act like the dick-waving trolls on here, putting down every city under the sun. Nice.
No it's not, it's about the fact you only do two things on this forum, post the occasional photo, nice photo's BTW.., and then you switch into a constant whine about London's street clutter.

Of all the things to fret about in London, the placing of a few bollards or garish signs is not really one to get worked up about.

Birmingham, Zaz965 liked this post
DeFiBkIlLeR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 02:55 PM   #8305
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeFiBkIlLeR View Post
No it's not, it's about the fact you only do two things on this forum.
Seeing as I haven't done either thing...and you just launched into another of your tirades...
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:00 PM   #8306
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Aldgate is messy but stimulating.
"Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end." Edward Whymper
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:06 PM   #8307
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurstudent View Post
This building should be built in Canary Wharf, not in the City.
I think it suits the area brilliantly. It will stand out. The Facade is beautiful and it brings attention to itself without distorting the whole City cluster.

I think this building is needed...

~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke

Ivanator, LDN_EUROPE liked this post

Last edited by Bligh; October 31st, 2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Mis-Read
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:18 PM   #8308
Bligh

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Seeing as I haven't done either thing...and you just launched into another of your tirades...
With all due respect El_Greco, you only seem to cause arguments.

You are quite confrontational. People have their opinions. We all appreciate that you have yours. But just chill out a little...

Try not to post anything unless its positive (this cannot happen all the time, afterall we are not perfect).

I'm not trying to lecture you - you have some great opinions and ideas! But maybe try to cause less conflict.
~

L O N D O N
~

instagram//photography: @leaf.it.out.luke
Bligh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 05:19 PM   #8309
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60759

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHarveyBone View Post
I don't even think the original news is at all relevant to a thread about Projects & Construction.
It is so. News about headquarters movement has implications for the commercial real estate sector and construction in London. Aon moving their headquarters to London, implications for the Leadenhall Building project. JP Morgan establishing their headquarters in London, implications for the Riverside South project. WR Berkley basing their European headquarters in London, resulting in the Scalpel project. Google consolidating their UK office in London, implications for the Kings Cross project. Such news has relevance with regard to projects and construction, directly and indirectly.

Zaz965 liked this post
SE9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:24 PM   #8310
hugh

Likes (Received): 1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham View Post
You take Barcelona for instance. Has a great reputation but architecturally it is unbelieveably bad as a whole...
Really? I spent six months in Barcelona a few years back and was struck with how architecturally attractive it was, a good mix of old and new. Even if you contend that the city is overrated, to suggest that it's 'unbelievably bad' is patent nonsense.
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:31 PM   #8311
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Likes (Received): 4017

Quote:
Barcelona is probably the most architecturally exciting city in Europe. A byword for urban reinvention. You've absolutely no clue what you're talking about.
I know what i'm talking about thank you. Please don't tell me you believe what you're writing? As much as I love Barcelona the majority of it is very, very poor. How do you come up with the conclusion that it is the most architecturally exciting city in Europe? Yes it has some great buildings and the cathedral is probably the most awe inspiring structure anyone is likely to see the first time you set your eyes on it but in the bigger the city is a mess and ironically, it is absolutely jam packed full of street clutter. It's dirty. It lacks cohesion, It's a nightmare to get around, the roads are horrendous to drive, the roads are horrendous to cross. Rear facades are completely ignored. Full the majority if you were to have most of Barcelona's streets in London or any UK city it would be classified as unfit for purpose, tacky and dirty.

Quote:
And you haven't answered my question of how you've come up with that number.
I believe I did. From a mathematical point of view from my visit's I can make a judgement on what I perceive as good quality/ok quality/ and bad quality constructions. That is how I made my judgement and gave a statistical value to my thoughts.

LDN_EUROPE liked this post
Birmingham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:33 PM   #8312
Ivanator
El Psy Congroo

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
I think it suits the area brilliantly. It will stand out. The Facade is beautiful and it brings attention to itself without distorting the whole City cluster.

I think this building is needed...

I completely agree, this is exactly what the city needs!

Ivanator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:34 PM   #8313
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
I know what i'm talking about thank you.
You're welcome, but you've no idea.

Quote:
I believe I did. From a mathematical point of view from my visit's I can make a judgement on what I perceive as good quality/ok quality/ and bad quality constructions. That is how I made my judgement and gave a statistical value to my thoughts.
In other words you just pulled it out of thin air. As I said, no idea what you're talking about.
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:35 PM   #8314
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Really? I spent six months in Barcelona a few years back and was struck with how architecturally attractive it was, a good mix of old and new. Even if you contend that the city is overrated, to suggest that it's 'unbelievably bad' is patent nonsense.
Really? Where did you live?

Take a closer look. The majority of new builds are horrendous, done on the cheap. I'm talking about these apartment blocks which offer no cohesion, do not suit the purposes they would require to do so in the UK and completely skimp on asthetics on the whole.

It's a mis-mash of average construction projects. The main tourist areas are superb. Beyond that it's terrible and if you don't think that then Aldgate must be absolutely stunning.
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:36 PM   #8315
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
You're welcome, but you've no idea.
People like you who accuse people of having no idea are normally the ones who actually have no idea.

Old October 31st, 2013, 06:38 PM   #8316
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
People like you who accuse people of having no idea are normally the ones who actually have no idea.
I'm not the one pulling numbers out of thin air.

Quote:
The majority of new builds are horrendous, done on the cheap.
And UK is only building Bankside's and One Hyde Park's, yes? No, majority of new builds here are pretty ugly - plasticy towers or mock-victorian terraces.

Last edited by El_Greco; October 31st, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:58 PM   #8317
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

It's a speculated guess from what i've seen. It's like when commentators say the crowd looks to be just over 30,000 when it might be 28,000 or 32,000. Now you're scraping at barrels.

And no. Of course not. But did anyone actually say that or are you now making up stuff to try and become even more argumentitive then you already are. It's not just me who seems to have noticed it.

I've sent you a private message anyway so we can discuss this elsewhere as it''s ruining this thread.
Old October 31st, 2013, 06:59 PM   #8318
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
But did anyone actually say that
Erm yes. You clearly suggested stuff in the UK is far superior.

if you were to have most of Barcelona's streets in London or any UK city it would be classified as unfit for purpose, tacky and dirty.

do not suit the purposes they would require to do so in the UK and completely skimp on asthetics on the whole.

All this London is the centre of the universe and everywhere else is shit is getting tiresome.
Old October 31st, 2013, 07:13 PM   #8319
Birmingham
Now Tamworth

Quote:
Erm yes. You clearly suggested stuff in the UK is far superior.
No I did not. I said the quality of construction as a whole is much better in London then most of Europe and the rest of the UK.

Quote:
if you were to have most of Barcelona's streets in London or any UK city it would be classified as unfit for purpose, tacky and dirty.

do not suit the purposes they would require to do so in the UK and completely skimp on asthetics on the whole.

All this London is the centre of the universe and everywhere else is shit is getting tiresome.
What are you on about. This is the truth. Have you been down the majority of roads/lanes/alleys in Barcelona. The streetscape is horrendous. External finishes are rotten, a handful of shops are appealing to even go in. Outside the core it's very, very rough. And this has nothing to do with London is centre of the universe. I'm not even from London. It is very evident just walking around Barcelona for one or two days. Try it some day rather than just looking at pictures on the web.

What's worse because you have no actual argument to the discussion we were having, you're just going off on any angle you can to try and look clever and not justify anything you're writing.

For someone who loves Barcelona and envies a lot of things that they do and have you're making me sound like I hate the place. Infact only a few weeks ago I was saying how British cities should take heed of Spanish cities in using water features more, being more creative with little things like lamp posts and benches. Things they do an awful lot better then us. Our round abouts are horrendous compared to theirs. Fountains make their streetscape 10 times better then it would be without them. I believe we're missing tricks when it comes to things like this. Asthetically pleasing features for the public in unaccessible loactions.
Old October 31st, 2013, 07:35 PM   #8320
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
What's worse because you have no actual argument
It is very simple - Aldgate is still shit.

Last edited by El_Greco; October 31st, 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Tags
development, england, london, united kingdom